Dun Laoghaire Characters

Past and Present

Re: Dun Laoghaire Characters

Postby skins » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Thought it would have worked out cheaper just to alter your diet, Micheál.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:35 pm

Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:40 pm

Whey hey !!!! The bold Johnny 40 coats :shock: never knew a photo of him existed :D
Good one Strum thumbright thumbright
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby bugrock » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:20 am

Well shaved and groomed. Is there more to him than we know?
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Strum » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:41 am

Do you remember a different "Forty Coats"? This other man DID have loads of coats on, bent over and his long matted hair, the back of it looked like a cow pat.
Or is this the same man younger?
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:04 am

Hi Strum there was indeed more than one Johnny forty coats
Ithink there was a Johnny forty cats in the 30s/40s
and one in the 60s/70s

there was even a 40 coats on Wanderly wagon :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
there were also other Dublin characters
Hairy lemon, Hairy yank, zudlum, Bang bang, Hudini,
Shellshock, Specks, Dunlavin, Tumbler,
The Prince of Denmark, Allparcels & Nancy Needleball
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:20 pm

I think every town had their load of odd bods. Had yis no Mad Mary in Dún Laoghaire?. We had a gas woman who went around in wellington boots and an old gaberdine with a string belt and a big headsquare on her long grey hair. She was O.K and would just roar at the kids when they really annoyed her. We didn't realise then just how harsh life was and how easy it was to slip into homelessness.

I'm from a long line of eccentrics and I'm dreading seeing a photo of some of my gang up here !!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Snowhite » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:29 am

Strum wrote:Do you remember a different "Forty Coats"? This other man DID have loads of coats on, bent over and his long matted hair, the back of it looked like a cow pat.
Or is this the same man younger?

That's the one I remember Strum, pic looks nothing like him. I was on a bus to Stillorgan one morning and he got on at the next stop, he gave me the shivers, he sat up the front thank god well away from me, but next thing he slaps a young chap in the seat opposite him full force in the face, OMG I nearly died of fright the conductor had to get the police to get him off the bus. I'll never forget it as long as I live I was so afraid I knew the young chap and he had done nothing at all to warrant the slap. Needless to say I was late for work and do you think they took my excuse serious ........not a chance. :(
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Micheál » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:47 am

I recall a guy who was always somewhere along the road between Merrion Gates and Dalkey.
A large-framed man - long hair but balding - stooped shoulders and a distinctively long stride.
I was told the nuns used to look out for him along the route.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby bugrock » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:06 am

Miceal wrote
the nuns used to look out for him along the route.

Them nuns would would have anyone :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby spudseamus » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:23 am

bugrock wrote:Miceal wrote
the nuns used to look out for him along the route.

Them nuns would would have anyone :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahh now we'll have nun of that !!! wuu
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Jemser » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:18 am

Micheál wrote:I recall a guy who was always somewhere along the road between Merrion Gates and Dalkey.
A large-framed man - long hair but balding - stooped shoulders and a distinctively long stride.
I was told the nuns used to look out for him along the route.

M.

Micheál, I remember that guy, he used to carry a very large branch of a tree. Rather like an overgrown staff/stick. We used to call him Moses.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Strum » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:04 pm

Jemser wrote:
Micheál, I remember that guy, he used to carry a very large branch of a tree. Rather like an overgrown staff/stick. We used to call him Moses.

That's him, I knew him, or at least met him a few times. As normal a bloke as anybody else. He used to walk from Blackrock into Town, The Pembrook for a few pints. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:47 pm

Yes ! Remember him well, he also wore a large necklace of Chestnuts and a Tartan shawl, I heard he was a normal well educated bloke, just eccentric.
keeper

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:24 pm

Yeah remember him on The Late Late with Gay Byrne and he was certainly well educated
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Angela » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:38 pm

I just joined the forum and I'm really enjoying the memories of local characters. I'd love to know more about the woman with the pig's head who supposedly lived in the fields behind Sallynoggin Church.

By the way, I grew up in Sallynoggin and now live in Vermont, U.S.A. I have a new memoir published in September called "High Tea at a Low Table: Stories from an Irish Childhood." You can find it on Amazon or preferably through (http://windridgebooksofvt.com/product/h ... la-patten/) or your local bookshop.
Angela

Postby Strum » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:04 pm

Well done on the Book Angela and great Cover. Is that an aerial view of Cross Avenue? and welcome to the site. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:36 pm

Angela; Welcome to the site and congrats on your achievement - a
book no less. Get posting now and tell us about your memories of
Sallynoggin and Dun Laoghaire

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Holla » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:52 pm

Angela wrote:I just joined the forum and I'm really enjoying the memories of local characters. I'd love to know more about the woman with the pig's head who supposedly lived in the fields behind Sallynoggin Church.

By the way, I grew up in Sallynoggin and now live in Vermont, U.S.A. I have a new memoir published in September called "High Tea at a Low Table: Stories from an Irish Childhood." You can find it on Amazon or preferably through (http://windridgebooksofvt.com/product/h ... la-patten/) or your local bookshop.

Hiya Angela and welcome I hope you enjoy your stay here,congrats and well done on the book :D ,as for the woman with the pigs head I don't think she ever existed,when we were kids our gang often cut through the grounds of Glenageary house or the woods as we called it and sometimes someone would claim to see her and next there would be a big scatter :D there was talk of a badly scared woman living in the "big house"anyhow she was part of some very happy days.
Holla

Postby grammer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:20 am

Hi Angela and welcome to the site.

As Holla has said we all knew about the woman with the pigs head and were really scared when she was mentioned -BUT -
we never did find out if she existed
but it was enough to get us into the house early some nights- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Jemser » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:34 am

Hi Angela, yes I agree with Holla and Grammer, I don't think she ever existed. I remember one day there was a big commotion in Pearse Close, someone said she was up at the back of the Tech. Myself, Jimmy Byrne, Michael Byrne and I think Joe Fitzgerald all ran up to see her. There was quite a crowd of kid's from all over the Noggin, but she never showed her (piggy) face and we all went home disappointed. I have your first book of Poetry but haven't managed to get your new one yet.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Dancer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:10 am

Angela wrote:I just joined the forum and I'm really enjoying the memories of local characters. I'd love to know more about the woman with the pig's head who supposedly lived in the fields behind Sallynoggin Church.

Hi Angela and welcome to the DL forum. Are your books available for Kindle ? I loved reading your poem "Seapoint" ....so evocative...got me right in the solar plexus. I was lucky enough to visit Vermont during Fall a few years ago. It's such a beautiful place ! I remember seeing the most amazing hanging basket outside someone's house - must look through my photos and see if I can find it.
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Rocker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:05 am

Angela,
Great to have a real live poet and writer on board...I'll be watching my P's&Q's for a while ...then I'll forget and revert to form. High tea at a low table...what a great book title...we used to have some pretty frugal meals during our childhood but my Aunty Cissie made every minute an occassion and when we went to visit her she would have the starched tablecloth on the table, the best china out. She would cut the bread into tiny triangles and maybe we would only have bread and jam but, there was always a big bowl of jelly to follow..we would laugh and say "High tea at a low table"..thanks for that memory.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:17 pm

Welcome Angela,a poet from the Noggin,we'll never hear the end of it from the Noggineers on this site. I think I'll go into hibernation :lol: /
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby grammer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:Welcome Angela,a poet from the Noggin,we'll never hear the end of it from the Noggineers on this site. I think I'll go into hibernation :lol: /

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
grammer
The Spoon

PreviousNext

Return to FAMOUS AND INFAMOUS DUN LAOGHAIRE-ITES