Re: Dun Laoghaire Characters

Postby Strum » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:53 pm

What were the Stripes then?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:28 am

Strum wrote:What were the Stripes then?

Now...theres a question that even Google doesn't know....I love the dinky little refuse bin attached to that pole....nowadays they now have the hole so small in the bins nothing goes into the bin...the penny pinching Council who would rather have our streets littered and the laneways and mountain roads strewn with black bags from the thoughtless,mean folk who are never going to pay their way in any society...it's a way of life...the Council should get over it ....move on (as the politicians say) and put decent, clean bins ...like in Vienna...at every pole. .... :lol: I should be running the country...like my little grandniece....I know everything!!...why the Council haven't asked me before is beyond me.... dontknow dontknow evillaugh
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:33 pm

The poles on cross roads and dangerous corners were painted Red and White
for the guidance of motor vehicles! No traffic lights and remember that
street lights in the Borough were turned out at 12.20.a.m.

Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Sinead wrote: No traffic lights and remember that
street lights in the Borough were turned out at 12.20.a.m.

Sinead

Gosh Sinead, I forgot that over the years. We used to race up from the bus stop to be in the house before midnight....I think the lad out our way always turned them off early....how creepy it was with rustling leaves following you down the road...scary...and we always had storytelling in the house about the banshee and fairys and fairy forts and all manner of hobgoblins.....and the devil with the clubbed foot..or cloven foot....whoooooooo :D :D
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby K4teB » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi ....

'Re the Jehova Witness guy, in fact he was not a J.W. but a Plymouth Brethren member. and it is alleged that they thought that animals could see the wind..He had a beautiful daughter called Ester Warner...'

I'm in the middle of some Warner family research couldn't help notice you mentioned 'Warner' on this thread... you couldn't elaborate on names and times could you ? trying to piece together my granddads history may not be important but you never know!

BTW talking of interesting characters my granddads uncle was Albert Warner AKA 'Hoppy Warner' after he got shot in WW1 and had a limp and his Aunt was Ellen or Connie Warner (tiny lady used to cycle or push her bicycle everywhere?).... this is going back a bit but anyone remember them?

thanks
K4teB

Postby MickR » Tue May 26, 2015 9:09 pm

For those who remember Ubi Dwyer I found this. He was truly bonkers but a gas man.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/UBI-DWYER.html
If two wrongs don't make a right, try three.
MickR

Postby Gerald » Tue May 26, 2015 9:26 pm

MickR wrote:For those who remember Ubi Dwyer I found this. He was truly bonkers but a gas man.

I remember him when I was growing up in Sallynoggin, cycling along on a white bicycle. I'm not sure if he actually lived in the 'Noggin or not. My brother used to hang out with him a bit.
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Tue May 26, 2015 11:06 pm

That was great MickR. I remember the name but, didn't know him.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Tue May 26, 2015 11:26 pm

I think that info on Ubi was on here years ago ...... Strum probably nuked it :P :P :P :lol:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Wed May 27, 2015 12:55 am

Ahhh yeh put the boot in :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
---------------------------------------
I remember Ubi and his white bike.
in the old B&W days coming and going from Monkstown Farm
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Jemser » Wed May 27, 2015 9:21 am

I also remember the eccentric Ubi Dwyer, Legalise the Weed and all that. I think he may have worked in Lourdes Hospital and lived in 6a Gowrie Park. The said 6a was a caravan in his mother's garden. :lol:
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Strum » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:26 pm

I heard this man mentioned here before. The story is a bit iffy. dontknow :D :?:

An Charraig Dhubh, or Blackrock to those of you that know it today, is one of the most extravagant villages outside of Dublin, and in the 1900’s was home to one of Ireland’s most loved and documented shoeshines, Steven ‘Stumpy’ Whelan.
Stumpy grew up in the neighbouring village of Dun Laoghaire, and would travel the five long miles to work everyday on a cart pulled by his trusted canine companion, Blacky.
A great-grandfather to TV presenter Marty Whelan, Stumpy made his shillings polishing gentleman’s shoes in the busy village square and was treated as ‘a bit of a divil’ by locals.
Local historian Johnathan Aylward explains how Stumpy would always be ‘blagarding’ unsuspecting pedestrians by running out from under horse drawn carriages on his hands shouting ‘STUMPY LICK YOUR SHOE! STUMPY LICK YOUR SHOE!”.
There are many documented stories of Stumpy’s antics.” said Aylward. “One in particular was how he actually came about to losing his legs.
“You see, until the Summer of 1878, Stumpy was a great ballroom dancer and had travelled the world as a young man winning competitions. He prided himself on his designer clothing and footwear, and would regularly sit down for a shine in the many cities he had visited.”
“One day, whilst sitting on a busy Parisian street getting his shoes waxed, Steven looked down to see his shoe shiner licking the heel of his shoe. He was immediately repulsed by the action and recoiled his foot in disgust. He asked the buffer why on earth he was doing such a thing, to which the young man replied: ‘for good luck, they say if you lick a wealthy mans heel, their luck rubs off on you’.
“Fascinated as to how licking ones shoe could be lucky, Whelan attempted to try it for himself; pulling his left foot towards his outstretched tongue. However, he just couldn’t reach the heel due to his tight fitting pants. He began to stand, hopping on one foot whilst trying to lick the other. Witnesses say Steven stumbled and lost balance – just as a local tram was passing by. He fell in front of it’s cast iron wheels, severing him from the waist down.”
“Witnesses say Steven was furious at the time and started shouting at the shoeshine, blaming him, asking ‘how could this be lucky?’, to which the shoeshine replied: ‘you are not meant to lick it if you’re already lucky. It causes bad luck’.
After a VERY long recovery process, Stumpy made his way back to Dublin to continue out his days in the same way his fate was delivered, shining shoes.”
Steven ‘Stumpy’ Whelan died in 1914 at the ripe old age of 67, but his memory lives on till this day.
Strum
Administrator

Postby stillorgan boy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:40 pm

That's a brilliant post Strum ! Really enjoyed it.
You're never fully dressed without a smile !
stillorgan boy

Previous

Return to FAMOUS AND INFAMOUS DUN LAOGHAIRE-ITES