Dun Laoghaire Characters

Past and Present

Dun Laoghaire Characters

Postby jwdalk » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:57 pm

Maybe this is somewhere else on the forum, but I couldn't see it. I thought it would be a good idea to remember and celebrate local eccentric characters. There was a Miss Montgomery who lived beside St.Patricks Church in Dalkey who was well in her seventies or eighties when I remember her in the 1970's who was reputed to be a relation of General Montgomery. She embraced the whole sixties thing and didn't see age as being a barrier to it, long white hair, mini skirts, etc. She had a liveried chauffeur who used to drive her around in an old Rolls Royce.
Also, there was Dr.(?) Rowntree in Georges Street in Dun Laoghaire who used to march up Georges Street as if he had stepped out of the 1920's or 30's, pin stripped suit, umbrella and bowler hat. If you were walking ahead of him and walking slower than him he would come up behind you with a loud "Harumph" expecting you to step aside.
I'm certain that there are many more, (Ubi Dwyer and his white bike?) and we shouldn't let these characters slip away from our folk memory.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Re: Dun Laoghaire Characters

Postby grammer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi JW -yeh agree with you re D/L characters
but If you are in the town on a regular basis we have a couple who are coming into their own :D :D :D :D
so all is not lost!!!!!
No names no scandle -but they are in the town :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:36 pm

Yeah there was talk about it ages ago JW but long since buried so no harm in bringing it up again.
I remember those characters you mentioned and some more.
40 coats of course, and another Doctor Duberry or something like that who had what seemed like a really bad limp and walked kind of doubled over.
I never knew if this was an urban myth or true about him but the story went that he tried to take out his OWN appendix and fkd himself up.
Anybody remember him or that story and if it was true or not?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Harjoe » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:47 pm

There was the little man with glasses ,brown suit and a cap about three foot tall who used to go around on a little bike with a satchell across the cross bar this was a childs bike which looked like it was made for him some people used to say he was an accountant .

Then there was Peter Mullen from Patrick Street who went arount on a little set of wheels I went to school with his son also Peter and we palled about with him.
but Peter senior would play the house ( bingo) game in the Workman's Club on Sunday mornings and he would climb up the stepsbackwards by lifting the board he sat on with his feet ,Peter was only about two foot tall .

There was the mad soldier who lost an arm during the war and the arm of his coat was pinned to the pocket with the belt of the coat holding it in place he who would walk up and down the town and shake his other fist at anyone he looked at
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:14 pm

Harjoe wrote:...he would walk up and down the town and shake his other fist at anyone he looked at

I saw Grammer doing that the other day. :mrgreen: :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby farmboy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Think its more than his fist he shakes! :D
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:53 pm

farmboy wrote:Think its more than his fist he shakes! :D

His head I hope FB. :mrgreen: Don't know where you're going with that...? :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holla » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:08 pm

Anyone remember there was a man used to wear his p cap back to front and would go around picking up cig butts of the ground they would call him buttsy or capeeny, and the woman with the pigs head in glenageary woods :o
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby jaytee » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:23 am

Bless. was she really that ugly ? remember the woman who ran the town with a milkbottle in her hand. shouting at everyone,
jaytee

Postby grammer » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:50 pm

the woman with the pigs head in glenageary woods
Holla

Never bumped into her -but have to say we were scared sxxxtless taking shortcuts around the Barnhill and Silchester metals when we were kids-shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
also we would not go thru' the Lord's walk on our way home from Glathule school if we were on our own---
there was always supposed to be a man dressed in black hiding behind the trees :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby keeper » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:21 pm

Remember Dr Roantree, as described, but he also had a fresh rose for everyday of the week for his buttonhole, don't know how he managed it in Winter, but he did ! Peter Mullen used to come down Patrick St. at some speed, he had a way of stopping quickly at the door of May's shop, it was May's was'nt it ? at the corner of Patrick St. and George's St. The Dummy used to direct the busses at the terminus, we used to get great chases off him for teasing him.
Does anyone remember a tall man who was a Jehova Witness and gave sermons on a Sunday afternoon standing a box at the fountain at the bottom of Marine Road ? He also gave sermons on Killiney beach, he had us believing pigs could see the wind !!! The name Warner is at the back of my mind, probably wrong. There was also a woman who went around
collecting clothes, she used to carry bags and bags of them, she wore a black shawl, don't know if she was homeless or not.
Keeper.
keeper

Postby Strum » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:24 pm

grammer wrote:there was always supposed to be a man dressed in black hiding behind the trees :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I heard that Grammer. Isn't that the walk from the Metals to Silchester Rd?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Keeper,
Re the Jehova Witness guy, in fact he was not a J.W. but a Plymouth Brethren member. and it is alleged that they thought that animals could see the wind..He had a beautiful daughter called Ester Warner whom I asked out for a date and was told in no uncertain terms what would happen to her if she was caught with a 'non believer' ...Talk about the past coming back and reminding one of what might have happened. Who knows I may have sailed on the Mayflower !!!

Thank you for the memories Keeper.

Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:04 pm

yeh thats it Strum -
we were scared sxxxxxitless used to walk the long way home -

I may have sailed on the Mayflower !!!

hey enviro -you've been away that long its probable that you did sail on it :D :D :D :D
grammer
The Spoon

Postby keeper » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:32 pm

Good to hear from you Enviro !! yes, he did have a daughter Ester, managed to do slightly better tho', dated her for a few months, were doing nicely until caught by Fr.Carberry on Strathmore Rd in Killiney, Hell Hath No Fury !!! this was my third time caught with non-Catholic girls, talk about a Steward's enquiry !!! You know about the others so you can imagine what went on with over this !!! She had a brother who played in a group at that time, he was about our age, he had no problem with Catholic girls !!!!
P.S. Fr.Carberry was a curate in Ballybrack, St. Alphonsus n Columba's and walked the roads of the Parish all the time, you'd never know where he'd appear from next !!
keeper

Postby Enviro500 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:50 am

Keeper I am here now at Ballybrack at my Brothers from today 6th Sept mob 0044 7702 641858 Talk perhaps tomorrow .

Enviro 500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby keeper » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Welcome home Enviro ! yes, will call tomorro, enjoy your holliers,
keeper

Postby doodledo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:02 pm

Strum wrote:Yeah there was talk about it ages ago JW but long since buried so no harm in bringing it up again.
I remember those characters you mentioned and some more.
40 coats of course, and another Doctor Duberry or something like that who had what seemed like a really bad limp and walked kind of doubled over.
I never knew if this was an urban myth or true about him but the story went that he tried to take out his OWN appendix and fkd himself up.
Anybody remember him or that story and if it was true or not?

Hi Strum,

Jaysus poor ol' Duberry, like you i heard all sorts of stories about and the thoughts of meeting him on York Rd while out walking would send me the long way walking, anyway i got to know him and his first name was "Ignatius" he has since past away, but not a nicer man could you meet and with a very funny sence of humour... you'd never expect that, but i think he got a hard time from the kids as he was a loner and a very educated man.
doodledo

Postby Strum » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks for that Doodle and welcome to the site. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sputnik » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:34 am

Have to agree with Doodledo. Duberry was a very nice, well-educated man. My father used to bring him into our house to calm him down when the kids were giving him a rough time. We were very scared of him, just because he was different. I don't believe the story about taking out his own appendix. He was just a brainy kid who went off the rails and never recovered. He lived with his mother, who always wore fine clothes and jewellery and a fur stole.

Who remembers Tiddle-the-bricks?
Waken me for meals.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby Snowhite » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:47 pm

Sputnik wrote:Have to agree with Doodledo. Duberry was a very nice, well-educated man. My father used to bring him into our house to calm him down when the kids were giving him a rough time. We were very scared of him, just because he was different. I don't believe the story about taking out his own appendix. He was just a brainy kid who went off the rails and never recovered. He lived with his mother, who always wore fine clothes and jewellery and a fur stole.

Who remembers Tiddle-the-bricks?

Duberry ? Tiddle the Bricks ? Are ye's for real guys :? Who were these people and when were they around ? ..........

(Happy New Year Sputnik, hope all is good with you.)
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Harjoe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:05 pm

I remember Duberry he lived in the house before the Umbrella factory on York Road and we were always told that he had a breakdown from too much studies he was harmless but got a hard times from the kids much like Beck the dummy whom we used to get chased by down Wellington St because we laughed at her the things children do that you regret in later life.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby skins » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Do any of you, (in particular Nogginers), remember a character who was referred to by us kids as "The Blackguard"? He was a well-dressed man who used to travel around the area on his bike......when he drew level with a few of us walking home from school he would raise his bum and let go a rasper. I think we were under orders not to be annoying him or shouting insults at him. Grammer, you probably recall who I'm talking about, it was mostly on the Noggin Hill we encountered him.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi Skins
have to say no.
but I must ask around -get back to you on this one
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Micheál » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:02 pm

skins wrote:He . . . . used to travel around the area on his bike......when he drew level with . . . us . . . he would raise his bum and let go a rasper.

I had a bike like that once - I had to change the saddle!
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Next

Return to FAMOUS AND INFAMOUS DUN LAOGHAIRE-ITES