Father Shay Cullen

Past and Present

Father Shay Cullen

Postby grammer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:22 pm

Very surprised that we have never given publicity to one of DunLaoghaire's most world famous sons
Glasthule boy Fr. Shay Cullen
http://www.preda.org/main/work/frcullen.html

Fr. Shay Cullen
Thursday 9 December 2010

Fr. Shay Cullen - Father Shay Cullen, nominated three times for the Nobel Peace Prize and other Human Rights Awards, is a Missionary priest from Ireland and a member of the Missionary Society of St. Columban and has worked protecting women and children and human rights in the Philippines since 1969.
Born in Dublin, 27 March 1943, educated at Presentation College, Glasthule, Co. Dublin. He completed his college education at St. Columban's, Dalgan Park, Navan, Ireland and was ordained in April 1969. Sooner later he was assigned to parishes in Zambales and Olongapo City, Subic Bay that year.

His mission for justice and peace is ecumenical open to people of all faiths. It is based on taking a stand for human rights and protecting the dignity of every person, in particular exploited women and children.

Father Shay Cullen established Preda Foundation in Olongapo city, the Philippines in 1974 to promote human rights, justice and peace. Believing that poverty, violence and child abuse are barriers to peace and give rise to extremism. He strives to eliminate child abuse and promote respect for children's rights. He works for peace by striving to change the unjust economic political and social structures and attitudes that allow such abuse.

The twelve Preda projects (www.preda.org) are to educate for peace, free children from brothels and jails and give them a chance to recover in therapeutic homes and be reintegrated and have a happier life free from jail, brothels, abusers, traffickers, violence and abuse. His team has worked to bring the abusers to justice and has succeeded in the Philippines and in Germany to get convictions. He is a leading world-wide campaigner against trafficking and child and woman abuse. His Preda foundation operates protective therapeutic recovery shelters for the victims.

He has battled the sex Mafia, lived with death threats and survived an assassination attempt. When he uncovered a child prostitution ring selling children to personnel at the US Naval base, Subic Bay he initiated a successful ten year campaign, helped unify a anti-bases coalition to remove the US bases and convert the infrastructure into a commercial manufacturing zone. Over a hundred thousand Filipinos now work at the converted U.S. bases in Clark and Subic.

He has received several human rights awards and has been nominated three times for the Nobel Peace Prize and other human rights awards. He has testified before the US Congress, The Philippine Senate and is a well known speaker and facilitator at numerous other international conferences.

Fr. Shay Cullen is the author of Passion and Power an autobiography, also translated into German. He writes a weekly column in The Manila Times that is published in other newspapers and on-line. He also writes poetry, songs and is a media commentator on the issues of trafficking of women and children and human rights violations.
He speaks fluent Filipino. He began Preda Fair Trade, in 1975, a successful poverty alleviation manufacturing and export project that lift s the poor to a life of dignity. The processing and export of Preda dried mango help thousands of farmers. He oversees twelve major projects at the Foundation including environmental protection and tree planting. With a present professional staff of 89 the projects are expanding. The work is centered in Olongapo City, Zambales but reaches throughout the Philippines and is expanding its services into Mindanao to work for peace and reconciliation and to alleviate poverty
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Re: Father Shay Cullen

Postby jordo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Doing something for the poor! Ah sure, who'd be interested.

We are an amazing little country, obviously it is not P C to high lite good deeds by the clergy.
jordo

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:41 pm

Heard the name,didn't know he came from Glasthule. Great man doing really good work.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby farmboy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 pm

Sounds like a great man, he has his work cut out for sure...
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby gingertom » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:43 pm

have heard this hero speak on liveline on rte.a true crusader for the weak and disadvantaged.
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Holla » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:21 am

Just watched a very interesting interview with father Shay Cullen (Glasthule born) this man has done sterling work as pointed out by grammer in the above posts,to think Dun laoghaire/rathdown county council gave its first civic honour to Brian O Driiscoll who is to my knowledge not from the borough ,not even the southside for that matter shame on you DLRD county council.
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Enviro500 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:25 am

Grammer,

I have to confess to have never heard of the guy..
I knew of Fr. Willie Doyle S.J. M.C =killed in Action WW1..

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:44 pm

I agree with you there Holla ---
who is brian driscoll anyway????? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Harjoe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:58 am

I have been away last week and have just had a look at last weeks meaning of life programme on the R T E player last night with Gay Byrne and Fr Shay Cullen , and if the DLR council dont do something to reward this SAINT for all his good works then we should as Dun Laoghaire people should get a petition going to honour a great local person surley there are enough people in the area to lobby their councillors to recognise the great work of Shay.

As much as I admire Brian O Driscoll his only connection with the area was that he went to Blackrock Collage his father whom I know personelly and he has a medicial practice in Clontarf and the nearest Brian comes to Dun Laoghaire is playing at the Aviva stadium but if you, have enough councellors who are rugby fans then local people will never get a look in maybe the next one they will honour will be Robbie Keane so he can bring his wife to OUR town hall . :) :) :) :) :) :)
Too many politicial partys use our area and council as a stepping stone to the higher office without ever knowing or careing anything about the area .

What I say is DUN LAOGHAIRE PEOPLE FIRST.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:48 am

Harjoe wrote
As much as I admire Brian O Driscoll his only connection with the area was that he went to Blackrock Collage his father whom I know personelly and he has a medicial practice in Clontarf and the nearest Brian comes to Dun Laoghaire is playing at the Aviva stadium but if you, have enough councellors who are rugby fans then local people will never get a look in maybe the next one they will honour will be Robbie Keane so he can bring his wife to OUR town hall .
Too many politicial partys use our area and council as a stepping stone to the higher office without ever knowing or careing anything about the area .

Yeh now your talking Harjoe !!!!!!!!!!!!
grammer
The Spoon

Postby keeper » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:50 pm

Had the pleasure of working with Fr Shay Cullen several times when he was home, a braver man you could not meet, he defied the authorities and suffered for it but won, well, at least they tolerate him, and Harjoe, you never said a truer word, let's hope some one in the Town Hall sees these posts and does something about it, no one deserves public recognition more than him, it's long overdue, the rest of the world recognises his work, but us.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:37 am

I saw that programme the other night with Gay Byrne and Fr Cullen came across as a kind ,strong, compassionate man. I think I remember a number of years ago he was captured by a gurilla (can spell) group in the Phillipines and was very shook when he was released. I remember a photo of him arriving at Dublin Airport being met by his family.
Thank God there are such wonderful people to stand for the oppressed and the poor.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Return to FAMOUS AND INFAMOUS DUN LAOGHAIRE-ITES