old dunlaoire

Past and Present

old dunlaoire

Postby Midfielder » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:57 pm

Hi all
On the subject of infamious or famious does anybodt recall the stump durkin from york road or Dodue kane who got hallf his leg
blown off in the quarry in dalkey or Jack Brennen who as the boatman in the national yacht club he rowed in the Iron man trophey from the bac of the west pier round dalkey island and back at the age of 75 and finished 4th out of 10 boats or what about johney shortall snacher gaynor
Sharkey tiddler megan the old harbour bar a place for hardy men and on and on
Paddy Powers of mulgrave street taggorts Liptons befor h williams and then the last part of the shopping centre Dempseys the
Butchers across the road thats goin back
Midfielder
Stellar Member

Re: old dunlaoire

Postby Harjoe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi Midfielder and welcome to the site I knew some of the people you mentioned Jack Brennan Played for my fathers team in the 1930s both for Dun Leary Celtic and Coraville and I knew him well he would often play football with us youngsters when we were playing on the green beside the yacht club also I knew many of the people you mention on the Cross Avenue tread as I played around there in the 1950s I had an uncle who lived on Tivoli Terrace and his son Maurace died tragiclly at 15 or 16 years of age in the mid fifties he was with the scouts and picked up a virus while picking blackberries and died .
Harjoe
Executive Member

Re: old dunlaoire

Postby cambria49 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:58 pm

I remember Jack very well, a legend around the harbour and cycled everywhere regardless of weather. I sailed against him in several Boatman's Races - him being the most senior, I the most junior - boy he could be ruthless on the tiller. If you dared cross tacks with him you would be the one to come out of it worst off!
cambria49
Advanced Member

Return to FAMOUS AND INFAMOUS DUN LAOGHAIRE-ITES