Dun Laoghaire & Our well known local Folk

Past and Present

Dun Laoghaire & Our well known local Folk

Postby enviro500 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:05 am

Some time ago I suggested that we have continuation of the Original Dun Laoghairites which more or less started this whole group.

I hope now to start once again and EARNESTLY hope that you guys may feed in as after all it is part of what got us all together. I will name to start, a few local legends alive and at rest.. Here goes.

Paddy Brock Waste disposal man "The Original"
Sally Myler (Sallynoggin) Waste disposal Lady "The 2nd Original"
China Ingle Taxi man and funniest man in Dun Laoghaire.
Arthur Ebbs, MILKMAN and man of wit
Christy Tate Glasthule man and a good guy
Dermot McGuirk (Walters Pub) family and great Republican
Noel White & Jimmy Delahunty W&D Motors gave me great advice as kid which stood me in good stead to this day
Pat Warren belated well known to us lot and taken away too early. better known as "Our Oliver"
Teddys Ice Cream parlour, was there ever an actual "Teddy", did any one know him ?
Murrays Record Shop, was there a "Murray". Did anybody know him or her ?.
Furlong the Snooker club and the carpet business, I knew him through my late friend Peter Mooney and at the time the Furlong children were running and owned the Beach Hotel in Mullaghmore, where the Mountbatten killing happened. Quite a few Furlong family in Dun Laoghaire. INTERESTS FAR AND WIDE
Tom Horkins Shop at Ollie Plunkett Rd
Dinjo Hurley other end Ollie Plunkett Rd
Babyface the motor bike GARDA from the Noggin
Jazzer Kelly Garda from the Noggin also, however as I suspect all Garda were Culchies in my youth and had difficulty with the 'Dublinese' lingo .

We can widen this to Famous charactors ,Actors, Musicians, Writers
Politicians as we did with 'Dun Laoghaire 1' AND GET ALL THOSE NAMES BACK UP HERE just as we used, and indeed ANY anecdotes about the said people
Let us start with the famous Justin Merrigan, Martime supremo and who knows him.
Farmboy....From the Geroge Orwell novel of similar name
Eviro500 Face like the back of big bus
Halya the Saint without tha Halooooooooooo ?
Spudseamus.....convict transported extraordinaire
Avionic the Warrior and his cat, Pussy

Now the less famous Ronnie Drew,
Bono
Sinead O'C

I hope to see a recollection tomorrow so come on you lot, get the forum going
enviro500

Postby hayla » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:12 am

Murrays record shop was a great ''hang out ''' on a Sat...
It was owned by a Jimmy Murray, he also had a shop in Stillorgan Shopping centre. when he closed it his son Joe ran a very small shop opposite '' Iceland'' or ''Archers garage'' to you oldies :hayla:
Image Never say never!!
hayla
Advanced Member

Postby Snowhite » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:31 am

Cyril Cusack........Actor & 4 Daughters Actresses
Niamh
Sorcha
Sinead
Catherine. :-|
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby enviro500 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:31 pm

Well known Dun laoghaire residents who lived in

MULGRAVE ST.

Brendan Balfe
Cyril Cusack
Noel Ginnity
Alan De Felice (R.IP.) His da owned TOP HAT

Enviro500
enviro500

Postby enviro500 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:05 pm

Dun Laoghaire famous

Snow W also fast becoming a well known person

Re Cusack family, one son is an RTE Producer and I think other in computers.

Remember John Shortall well known boatman. Tragically a Yorker
Crutch Kelly Oldest messenger boy in town
Scoop Johnson Fastest newsvendor on two or 4 wheel
Sunny Mundoe Best known Camp chap
Dummy Dormer Professional 'bus backer'
Hamiltons Cake shop Patrick St
Tom Connolly Supermarket the 1st, next door to Hamilt
Jack Farrell shoemaker Patrick St
Bunty Soden Patrick St
Stamp shop and bric a brac next door
Mc Donalds ? Ice Cream parlour Patrick St
Lido Cafe Patrick St
Mrs May's shop Patrick St
Clinic and feckin awful cod liver paste with malt forced
down one's gullet.
Guys, have I roused any memories from that lot, I'll bet I have so let's hear, and this is just the start

Enviro (Census man)500
enviro500

Postby hayla » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:26 pm

i worked in Tom Connellys as a teenager, and as I mentioned before somewhere, Tom Connellys was the first supermarket in Ireland, and Tom was one of the 256 survivors of 700 passengers and crew travelling on the Leinster when it was torpedoed by a German submarine ..(ub123) out near the Kish in Oct. 1918, There was a model of the ship in the store room of the supermarket and it can now be seen in the Maritime museum . always well worth a visit... (oops I'm sounding like an anorak :roll: )

The baker in Hamiltons (The Cake Shop) Geoff Bowers was my landlord in my first flat..

I also remember from Patrick street Mr. Arthur .. watch maker.(he's still there ) , O'briens the butcher ,,, Taggerts where Michael ??? worked..
and for all you lads Jim the barber (still there)
The first ever Delicatessen,, La Gourmet. Run by Mr Smyth , ... Reinhearts And Mittons (butchers)

more to follow .........
Image Never say never!!
hayla
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:13 pm

hayla wrote:i worked in Tom Connellys as a teenager, and as I mentioned before somewhere, Tom Connellys was the first supermarket in Ireland, and Tom was one of the 256 survivors of 700 passengers and crew travelling on the Leinster when it was torpedoed by a German submarine ..(ub123) out near the Kish in Oct. 1918, There was a model of the ship in the store room of the supermarket and it can now be seen in the Maritime museum . always well worth a visit... (oops I'm sounding like an anorak :roll: )

The baker in Hamiltons (The Cake Shop) Geoff Bowers was my landlord in my first flat..

I also remember from Patrick street Mr. Arthur .. watch maker.(he's still there ) , O'briens the butcher ,,, Taggerts where Michael ??? worked..
and for all you lads Jim the barber (still there)
The first ever Delicatessen,, La Gourmet. Run by Mr Smyth , ... Reinhearts And Mittons (butchers)

more to follow .........

Tierney's. (still there)
Woolworths!
Greys toy shop near the park...

As for Jim the Barber..."do you really have to keep brushing the hair off my lap?" Creep!
Strum
Administrator

Postby enviro500 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:18 pm

Hi Strum ,

I think the toy shop near the Park,
opposite Walters almost, was Jimmy Grace's and what a wonderful Aladdin cave for a kid of the 1950s....mind you we could not afford those Dinkys and Hornby trains then...just looked longingly in wonder....I have bloody made up for it since as I now posess over 400 Dinky/Corgis.

Did you know the Hairdressers near at the bottom of Clarinda Park.. Noel Ginnity was a hairdresser there with Colum Kiely and we all hung out at the Bamboo. I think the hair shop was opposite a fancy furniture shop called 'Sloan', anyone remember ? The other end of town you had Cooks, Bikes, prams, skates and upstairs we used to pinch the Matchbox Toys No.1 to 75 which were on the special stand by Matchbox. Tiereny's was a different kettle of fish as all the Dinky's were behind glass slide doors.

It is amazing 'cos I can remember being able to buy Dinky, Corgi, Budgie, IN THE FOLLOWING SHOPS
Grace's
Cooks
Tierneys
Dixons

and Wollies had the cheaper diecast toys by Charbens, Johilco
and the early postwar Japanese cars
In my town of Aylesbury with a population of 80,000 THERE IS NOT A TOY SHOP TO BE FOUND !!! Nearest is Hemel Hempstead 18 miles away...my, my, how times have changed When i MOVED HERE IN 1974 THERE WERE THREE TOY SHOPS !!
enviro500

Postby enviro500 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:27 pm

Dun Laoghaire folk

Kay Toal Model 1960s (Maureen's sister) Monkstown
Vards, Furriers. Monkstown
Paul Ashford Guitarist Monkstown, (Bray lad)
Christie Moore, Ooooh Lisdoonvarna (Monkstown)
Ronnie Drew Monkstown (Glasthule)
'Butt' Boylan CIE Conductor 45a Monkstown
'Pro' Leonard CIE Driver Monkstown
more to follow.....
Enviro500
enviro500

Postby enviro500 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:29 am

Hayla,

I think Dickie Rheinhart's da, Gunther Fritz was the Skipper of the U Boat that sank the Leinster,

Rumour has it he swam ashore 8 miles in case he was caught and pretended to be Austrian and opened a Shop near Tom Connolly so that he could finish Tom off when the time was right.
Sadly the two became GREAT MATES !!!!!

Enviro500
enviro500

Postby hayla » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:08 am

you're having a giraffe !!!
let's not forget Enviro in the well known dun laoghaireites as a great story teller (NOT)
Image Never say never!!
hayla
Advanced Member

Postby enviro500 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:46 pm

Hayla,

Are hese men are worthy of being Famous local heroes, re Tom & Gunther and as far as I know its true, rumour also has it that Heinreich Knowl (Remane the jewellers) in Georges St was also on that sub, the U 416 and he was the driver. He escaped and actually TALKED old man Rheinhart out of knocking Tom Connolly off.

They sold their weapons to the local Republicans ond one one of the guns might have been the one that killed my Uncle Billy on the Dun L Golf links in 1921.... Uncle Billy ended up brown bread and those two buggers were to become 'merchants of the Town' .

Some said my Uncle Billy was killed by the Tans (Urban myth), however when the shooter left uncle Billy he was heard to say the words "Gott in Himmell, Achtung" and all that stuff !!!!!.

I herard those words uttered by a Jerrie in the 'Eagle has Landed',
so there ....
Possibly they would fit better into the INFAMOUS Dun Laoghaireite catagory....whan does the team think ?

Tom C stays in the former
Enviro the wise500
enviro500

Postby hayla » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:26 pm

enviro500 wrote:Hayla,
one of the guns might have been the one that killed my Uncle Billy on the Dun L Golf links in 1921.... Uncle Billy ended up brown bread and those two buggers were to become 'merchants of the Town' .
Enviro the wise500

Next you'll be telling us your uncle Billy's nick name was Birdie , and They got a Hole in one !!!!!!!! :rfl:

I do know it's true your uncle Billy was shot dead on the golf course when he was a caddy but not by the Germans or tans, ya ol' sage ya !!!!
what's it about your family ????? Another uncle was shot in New York :roll: :roll: :roll:
Image Never say never!!
hayla
Advanced Member

Postby enviro500 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:11 pm

Hayla,
But who will be the Third, dur's allas Three. It could be our first female relative......BEWARE..

Ref Unc B. definitely a German connection, Birdie Turner's dad was possible a witness as he was stopped by a stranger who asked , " Bitte meinherr kanu tel mee de vay to de "vorti sicks Ah" bus Halt und the time dat it departs ?

Birdie often recounted that story to his friends. Not sure about the fella in N.Y as it is all scant and maybe he also fell foul of old man Rheinhart. Coincidently Mr Reinhart was holidaying in N.Y at the same time, July 4th 1950. and may have been at the Ball game, ask 29Eire23, he knows all about it

Enviro500
enviro500

Mr Arther

Postby littlestar » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:53 am

hi hayla
the watch maker died early last year. someone else mentioned Bunty. . He's alive and well and living further up Patrick st with his lovely tiny wife Hannah. Does anyone remember her?
littlestar

Postby hayla » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:20 am

I remember her well she was always a lady.......
there was another fruit and veg shop on Patrick street it think it was called Powers ,
Image Never say never!!
hayla
Advanced Member

Postby enviro500 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:29 pm

Littlestar & Hayla,

Do you know, I always thought Bunty Soden was a woman !!

Called after the "Bunty" girls comic

A freind of mine Fran Woods, used to work there after school, w/ends etc.
enviro500
enviro500

Postby enviro500 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:40 pm

Who can recall stories about the "Deared Clinic" in Patrick St. ?

They threw that FOUL Tasting malt stuff down your throat. Checked you out for T.B and Diptheria.
Do they have dental checks there as well ?
I bloody feared that place as a child. There was also a clinic on the Farm Sallynoggin Rd ?

Dickie Blair was our Dentist...opposite Adelphi.
Dr Rowntree along there too.
My favourite was Monkstown Cottage Hospital and Sister OBrien, I had my tonsils done there and a few other breakages, arm etc over the years...I was shocked to see it demolished some years ago...was that the fault of Mary Harney too...she seems to be fast trying to catch up with us here in shutting the health service !!!!.

I understand that Monkstown was originally a privately funded hospital?

So familiar, those names.....................................................
enviro500

Postby Avionic » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:09 pm

Was the second veg shop on Patricks St called 'The Mart'

Patricks St.
Mellons and later called Reliance Radio (I think), general store 'Martin Brady'
Costelloes 'Mick'
McNulty's, sweet shop, now a car park.
Bran Nu, sport and bait shop.
Trift Stores, sweet shop.
Browns, Locksmith, (top of Patrick St).

Convent Road.
Copper Kettle
Ryans veg shop.

End of Mulgrave St.
Burtons. clothes shop

Beside Hospital.
Wheelans, clothes shop. (A chap worked there who was involved in the St Johns Ambulance, can't remember his name)

And then at Lees there was the Swastika Laundry. (run by the chief steward from U146)
Avionic

Postby enviro500 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:42 pm

AVIONIC,

That's the fecker, another infamous (Dun Laoghaire based) Kraut, ran the 'Swazzi' by Lees and had a small square moustache and hair brushed to right, called Manfred von Ratsranuptrousers.

He managed to wangle a Council house in Castlebyrne Pk in Temple Hill. Said he was from the 'camps', though didn't tell them he was a guard there in the second W. War

Tom Whelan was a friend of my ma and he surely qualify's for a Local Dun Laoghairetie. I think he had a son Tony, but I no little of him. Tom lived on Carrickbrennan Rd opposite Sacred Heart Convent.

Funnily enough I was enquiring of the McManus family who had the gift type shop in Dun Laoghaire down opposite Hicks end. I knew Stephanie well and amazingly she is still part of the team running the shop with the family.
In Patrick St I mentioned a cobbler/shoemaker and I remember his name correctly now. It was Jack Farrell opposite Hamiltons or thereabouts.
enviro500

Postby hayla » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:04 pm

Avionic
Was ''The Mart'' not in Mountown???

McNultys that was a real blast from the past, wasn't it run from Mrs. Mac's front room ? she sold homemade red icepops :roll:
And the Thrift. my poor granny had ''accounts'' (slates) in all the shops on Patrick Street, and it was never a problem running up the bill...
Miss Ireen Butler ran a florist beside Bunty Sodens house
and not forgetting :-( for the medical card holders ''the Dispensary'' with Dr. Smith & Dr Mollony ... or the Dentist :cry: (Mr. Henry the hatchet ) those dreaded stairs we'd try hard not to climb ,
This thread is bring back great memories good & Bad...

AH Slones by the park sure most of our ma's got the furniture there (on the never, never, :D ) well I'll admit mine sure did .... and Lees , and ..... not forgetting the good ol' provident man :roll:
Image Never say never!!
hayla
Advanced Member

shoe mender

Postby littlestar » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:06 pm

Farrells the shoe menders is now a Polish food shop!
littlestar

Postby Snowhite » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:46 pm

Cant keep up with the changes, everytime i go to dun laoghaire there's something else new. :roll:
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby spudseamus » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:34 pm

lol you think its bad for you !!!1 lol how do ya think us expats feel :shock: :shock: :rfl:
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Sputnik » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:40 pm

Patrick Street:
Easons Wholesale, run by a Mr Shakespeare. I used to have to go up there for Florrie Dalton if they missed a delivery.
The Bag Wash. Two sisters worked there, Helen and Catherine (can't remember surname). Helen later worked in the Bran Nu.
Marlowe Dry Cleaners (is that still there?)
The Ritz.

Six-monthly optical checks at the Clinic and those lovely roundy glasses, followed by the equally lovely tortoise-shell ones. Gee, wheren't we fashionable.
Queueing for the sugar-lump (polio vaccine I think).

Kelly's joinery workshop. I served a first year apprenticeship there, then I got sense.

Convent Road.
Hockey Barnes.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Next

Return to FAMOUS AND INFAMOUS DUN LAOGHAIRE-ITES