Southside Partnership DLR

Activities, Festivals, Exhibitions etc...

Southside Partnership DLR

Postby Rocker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:37 am

You may know about Southside Partnership DLR,

Community Organization
Supporting people, supporting communities to bring about positive change in the lives of people experiencing social exclusion, unemployment and poverty.

Well, Southside Partnership DLR has been

Southside Partnership has been shortlisted to receive funding to run Mind Your Business - a unique business programme for unemployed people!! It will provide unprecedented supports to at least 90 local businesses - pre and post-start-up - over 30 months. It will make a huge difference to so many people and to the local communities!
BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP!
Part of the final decision is based on a vote. Please would you take a moment to click on the link and cast a vote for us - it's only open for a week and would mean very much!
Thanks everyone!!
http://skillsandopportunitiesfund.ulsterbank.com/vote/

May 5th 2017 is the closing date.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Re: Southside Partnership DLR

Postby Rocker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:47 am

Southside Partnership DLR and Dublin and Dun Laoghaire Education and Training Board will be offering a 6-week Mindful Parenting course starting on May 9th 2017 at Mounttown Community Facility. This course will be running on Tuesday mornings from 9.30am-11.30am. Please contact Lisa on 087 737 0372 for more information or to book a place.

For parents of children aged 4-12 years.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:55 am

Gain 12 month's work experience,

Southside Partnership have numerous vacancies in various roles! If you are U25 who would like to work 19.5hrs a week for €215.50!
To be eligible you must be signing on for at least one year.

Call 7060100 to find out what jobs are available.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:56 am

The SSP Local Employment Service is a free, professional service for people seeking employment. If you need information on job opportunities, support in writing your CV or training in job seeking skills contact the LES staff on 01-2841977 or call into the office 137 Oliver Plunkett Road Monkstown Farm.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:13 pm

Rocker wrote:The SSP Local Employment Service is a free, professional service for people seeking employment. If you need information on job opportunities, support in writing your CV or training in job seeking skills contact the LES staff on 01-2841977 or call into the office 137 Oliver Plunkett Road Monkstown Farm.

Thats all very well offering such great services, BUT what if the poor benefit laden unlucky unemployed individual has no desire to lose their allowances and start a working life after years of late rises and a diet of daytime TV ?...... how do you change that ? if you force them to work, then all those involved in handing them their handouts will be out of work !!!! if you put middle class civil servants out of work, then you face a double outcry (upset educated people and angry benefit losers) and what politician will sanction that move dontknow .

SSP are not the only agency offering such employment options to the unemployed, what about the Work Placement Programme / Tus / Gateway / CE Schemes / Job assist / Job initiative scheme et al ...http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/employment_support_schemes/ and that is just the tip of the iceberg without even touching on the community responses and myriad of private agencies / charities etc.

With so many fishing in the unemployment pond, is it any wonder that the tail is wagging the dog. This is what happens when you throw money at a problem, successive Governments have used the same approach .... set up a new response so the Minister can tell us about how much taxpayers money he/she has invested in an attempt to solve the problem - but the reality is the only thing that has changed is that we now possibly have more people 'employed' supporting the unemployed than the actual unemployed people themselves BangHead BangHead BangHead

Ps I am not saying these services are bad, its just there's too many and the dots are not connected IMHO.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:45 pm

I was happy to cast my vote,anything that promotes retraining for people in order to give them an opportunity for gainful employment is always worth supporting.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Strum » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:42 pm

I see your point Toss but in all fairness they helped me start my own business back in the mid 90's of which I was very grateful at the time. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:44 am

Strum wrote:I see your point Toss but in all fairness they helped me start my own business back in the mid 90's of which I was very grateful at the time. ;)

They have helped many many people and continue to do so, of that theres no doubt wuu but why do we need so many different providers doing the same thing ?

I wonder is there any way of finding out how many people in total are earning a wage helping the unemployed ? last November we had total of over over 300,000 civil servants and about 141,000 unemployed ... so if 5% of the civil servants work with the unemployed they have about 9 clients each ? are SSP staff classed as civil servants with all the benefits ? I dont think so.
Toss

Postby Rocker » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:18 am

Toss,
You have listed the various agencies dealing with the unemployed and I was astounded at the amount.But, relating everything back to myself I remember when I left school I didn't have a clue where to look for a job. My mother was equally vague as she was just cleaning houses so I went down the Rock and asked where I could get a job. I got one in the local butchers and settled in getting on nicely. I also had a Saturday job and the girls there were very helpful and brought me in an "ad" from the paper about a job...and the rest is history.
I know times have moved on and we think people are better educated and more copped on but, the majority of homes in ordinary working class areas are just like my own one. Children are leaving school with very poor education, I am surprised how many I encounter who cannot read, write or spell...the education system has been so dumbed down in the last 20 years...anyway, I think the prominent position of southside Partnership offices in Blackrock and the Farm is great. They are located in the middle of the environment they look like a friendly safe place to ask questions and they are staffed by local people who genuinely want to assist. It is a first step to something else.

We like to think that all the youth are computer savvy with their smart phones and I pads but, a lot of them are just listening to music and instagramming their friends and not investigating websites with job opportunities.

It is a tough place out there for youth and I think a local community project is a great idea as they say IMHO!!

The staff at the Southside Partnership are not civil servants. I looked at their website and a job advertised was for one year contract and funded by the Department of Social Welfare.
http://www.southsidepartnership.ie/
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:08 pm

Well said Rocker, I have the same background and agree that we were out looking for work without a clue ..... but that was then and today its a different set up. First thing I would say is that very few under 18s are looking for work these days, the schools are set up to push them towards a leaving cert of some sort (from honours to the applied cert) and their peers are all staying at school and heading to a variety of colleges and institutes after that. So its quite common now to have 'educated' 20 somethings who have never worked a day in their lives and have no concept of an 8 hour day as they start looking for a job :oops:

Rocker wrote:The staff at the Southside Partnership are not civil servants. I looked at their website and a job advertised was for one year contract and funded by the Department of Social Welfare. http://www.southsidepartnership.ie/

SSP seem to be doing the civil servants work (without the benefits) and It really does beg the question ..... who is joining the dots on this mish mash. It seems symptomatic of modern day Ireland .... overkill in terms of management layers and no common sense applied in terms of duplication of services.
Toss

Postby Rocker » Sat May 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Southside Partnership and the Women4Women network will be hosting their next International Women's Breakfast on Wednesday May 24th at 10.00 hrs Lexicon Dún Laoghaire. The theme for this event is 'Integration through the Arts'. Bring a friend and bring a dish. All women are welcome.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Tue May 30, 2017 12:15 pm

Southside Partnership at Mounttown, Mounttown Community Facility and Mounttown Early Years' Service are jointly inviting you to a coffee morning on June 12th 2017 from 10.00am to noon to find out about services and programmes for the local community. We look forward to seeing you there and please spread the word...
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:55 am

Southside Partnership Local Employment Service will be hosting a Jobs Expo on Wednesday 26th July 2017 from 10am-2pm. The event is FREE and will take place at the Town Hall in Dun Laoghaire. Please feel free to share the information.

An opportunity for job seekers and local employers to come together.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Rocker:

Do you think I would get a job?

Thanks for posting.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:26 pm

Sinead wrote:Rocker:

Do you think I would get a job?

Thanks for posting.

Sinéad

no bother.. with your brains and experience any firm would be lucky to get you.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence Rocher.

Sinéad
Sinead

Return to NEWS AND UPCOMING EVENTS