Events

Activities, Festivals, Exhibitions etc...

Re: Events

Postby Navanman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Why were the Oblisks built?

What was their purpose?
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Micheál » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:53 pm

They were "follys" - grandios statements of position - like when I'd say "I'm away up to Stillorgan for a pint" and you might say "I'll folly ye up later"

:)
M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:57 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D
good one Micháel :D :D :D :D
or "i'll see you if your there"
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Navanman » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:14 am

Very funny - don't know how to add smilies or I would
Navanman

Postby Rocker » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:41 am

Micheál wrote:They were "follys" - grandios statements of position - like when I'd say "I'm away up to Stillorgan for a pint" and you might say "I'll folly ye up later"

:)
M.

Brilliant. Even when you are not tellings jokes you are so funny :D :D :D

Navanman,
When you are posting a reply there should be out to the right under Smiles all manner of yellow faces - hold your cursor on these and it will tell you what each one is e.g. wink, laughing etc. just click on that and it will appear on your message. it doesn't show as you are typing maybe a :D will come up that is a colon and a capital D just in case a laughing comes up when it is displayed!! Hope I have explained. It normally only takes me two hours to explain a two minute procedure!!!!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:30 pm

I think the Killiney Oblisk was built to give employment during a famine, I seem to remember there
was a plaque on it with this info.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Navanman » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:11 pm

Just trying my Smilies :D :shock:
Navanman

Postby Navanman » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:13 pm

Excellent Rocker - thanks for your help.

Navanman
Navanman

Postby keeper » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:20 pm

That's correct Sinead, I was in the Oblisk on Killiney Hill a few times, it had a stairs going up along a side internal wall and then onto another wall and that brought to a door through which you could get out on the "veranda" for want of a better word, there were no bannisters attached to the stairs, so you had to stay right in against the walls !! we mostly gained access at night becaused we discovered the lock on the bolt wasn't really locked !! it just appeared that way. Looking back on it, we took dreadful chances, but sure we were young and foolish !! it was, at that time full of rubble and debris on the ground floor.
keeper

Postby Strum » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:02 pm

Strum wrote:One of our older members got the chance to get inside the Obelisk once Rocker. His photos are at the bottom of this page...

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=337&start=25

You're missing posts folks. Photos at the end of this page...

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=337&start=25
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:35 am

Dont worry Strum, Found the photos O.K.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:15 am

I'm interested in this project being run by DunLaoghaire Council so am posting details

The Council is undertaking an exciting new project for the conservation of Red Squirrels in Killiney Hill Park which may be of interest to you.

Red squirrels are to be released in Killiney Hill Park in an attempt to boost the local red squirrel population. Red Squirrels are becoming increasingly threatened across the country due to habitat loss and competition from the non-native grey squirrel. Since the arrival of the grey squirrel to Killiney Hill Park in 2005, the local red squirrel population has declined. The Killiney area is one of the last two urban areas in Dublin where our native red squirrels remain. The Council in partnership with the National Parks and Wildlife Service will be translocating fifteen red squirrels from the Raven Nature Reserve, Wexford to Killiney Hill Park during August 2012.

As part of the project, the Council is seeking support from local residents and community groups. There are a number of ways in which local people can become involved including:

1. Reporting sightings of red and grey squirrels in private gardens and local parks;
2. Planting trees which are beneficial to the native Red Squirrel;
3. Joining the Killiney Hill Red Squirrel Group (which we hope to establish as part of the project)

The Council is holding an information meeting on the project in Dalkey Heritage Centre on Tuesday 24th July at 7.30pm for anyone who would like to know more about the project.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Holla » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:08 pm

Interesting info there rocker, I love a walk up killiney hill so I will keep an eye out for these little fellas,at least now I will know where the have come from thanks for the information :)
Holla

Postby Holla » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Dancing at the crossroads tonight cabinteely village ,just mite put me dancing shoes on and do a hornpipe :)
Holla

Postby grammer » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Yes good one Holla -
a bit of old diddley-I-didi can be good for you.
:D :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:38 pm

Folks,

I get an e mail from the Arts department of DunLaoghaire Rathdown Co Co and I don't know how to post it here. The latest one is very interesting. There are opportunities for an writer in residence at the Council, a Theatre practitioner at the Mill Theatre Dundrum, writers workshops at the Mountains to the Sea event and best of all they are seeking artists to submit designs for sculpture commissions at the new Library place in Moran Park - decent budget of €54,000.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:53 pm

Just copy and paste the content of the email here.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:33 pm

Hey Rocker
You could always post it by ordinary mail . . .
Doh! They've taken away the mail boxes.

M
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:34 pm

Strum,
Did that! here is the copy e mail;
The Mill Theatre wishes to appoint a Theatre Practitioner (Individual/Company) to build on it's engagement with local amateur companies and individuals and work towards a showcase with interested participants in January 2013.

The sucessful applicant will work in the Mill Theatre during the period September 2012 to January 2013. The project is funded by Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, with additional support from the Arts Council.

The closing date for receipt of applications is 12 noon on Wednesday 8th August and a full brief is available to download at www.dlrcoco.ie/arts

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council invites applications for a writer in residence for the period October 2012 to May 2013.

The writer in residence is a partnership between the Library Service and the Arts Office of the County Council, with support from the Arts Council.

The residency seeks to support writers in all genres. The residency is envisaged as a part-time position which will allow time both for the writer’s own work in addition to engagement and interaction with the general public. At least one third of the time on this residency should be focused on the writer’s own work.

The closing date for receipt of applications is 12 noon on Thursday 16 August and a full brief is available to download www.dlrcoco.ie/arts

Mountains to Sea is delighted to host the following fantastic workshops for aspiring writers:
Short Story Workshop with Richard Bausch
Poetry Workshops with Ilya Kaminsky and Moya Cannon Crime Writing Workshop with Declan Burke. Writing for Children Workshop with Oisin McGann. One- on-one Workshops with Lisa Albert, writer of Mad Men.
For details of how to apply please contact mountainstosea@dlrcoco.ie or 01 271 9532.

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council invites submissions from artists and/or craft designers/makers for a public art commission related to the Central Library and Cultural Centre under construction at Moran Park, Dún Laoghaire, Co. Dublin. Applicants are invited to respond to the geographical and/or historical environment and/or the cultural aspir ation of the Centre. The commissioners are seeking a permanent artwork and are open to the work being incorporated into the fabric of the building. The total budget for the commission is €54,000.

A number of sites have been identified internally in the building and externally in Moran Park. Applicants are invited to respond to one or more of the outlined sites. One commission will be awarded. This is a two-stage competition and a maximum of three artists will be short-listed for the second stage.
The commission is open to artists, sculptors, lighting designers, craft designers, etc. Proposals are invited from artists working either on their own or in collaboration with others.
The deadline for receipt of submissions for Stage 1 is: 12 noon 5th October 2012

Further information available from: Ciara King, Assistant Arts Officer, Arts Programme Development, dlr County Council,
Email: ckinglrcoco.ie / T: 01-271 9529
The full brief and accompanying site maps are available to download at www.dlrcoco.ie/arts
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:14 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I can just imagine the abstract crxxp ( pretending its art-(was going to put "masquerade") -but not sure of the spelling :D) thats gonna be displayed in the new Moran pk. library if a lot of the so called artistes that have already provided "masterpieces" to the county are going to be involved.

PS whatever happened to the rusty steel girders that were down the end of Marine rd.????
Strum, I think as a real artist you should make moves to get your toe in the door.
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:33 am

Oh No,

Not a sculpture of Strum's toe. Is it out at Defense in Paris where there is a giant Thumb?. I thought of Strum too when I saw this mail.

Grammer,
Them rusty girders were supposed to be the portal to DunLaoghaire - bet they were sent for scrap like the postboxes.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:37 am

Somehow or another I got on a mailing list for all sorts of great Arts events.
Here is a sneak preview,
Mountains to Sea dlr Book Festival is on from 4th to 9th September 2012.
Looking through the programme there is something for everyone.Some jump out..Elizabeth Strout and Richard Bausch in the Pavilion on 4th @20.30hrs only €12. Richard Bausch is also doing a short story workshop on 6th at the Promenade Cafe €25.
www.mountainstosea.ie is the website.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Holla » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:25 pm

Must put her in the list of nominations for the "Greatest Dun Laoghaireite"

Image[/quote]

JUST HEARD THIS WONDFFUL LADY PASSED AWAY TODAY RIP MAEVE
Holla

Postby Rocker » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:32 pm

Holla,

Hadn't heard the news. So sad, such an icon. May her gentle soul rest in peace.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:56 pm

Remarkable that the IT website (her former paper) has no mention of this
Micheál
Skies are Blue

PreviousNext

Return to NEWS AND UPCOMING EVENTS