Events

Activities, Festivals, Exhibitions etc...

Re: Events

Postby Holla » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:03 am

Micheál wrote:Has this been verified?

On the radio news and vincent brown show ,she died today aged 72 years she was born in Dalkey. RIP
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:46 am

RIP Maeve. A lovely Woman. :|
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:02 am

Maeve Binchy -RIP-
A lovely gentle talented lady -
with Sallynoggin connections-now theres one for yis all ;) ;) ;)

==================================
Now Rocker :D :D :D :D :D
as JD might say -are you taking the hiss out of the snake???????
Rocker » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:37 am

Somehow or another I got on a mailing list for all sorts of great Arts events.
Here is a sneak preview,
Mountains to Sea dlr Book Festival is on from 4th to 9th September 2012.
Looking through the programme there is something for everyone.Some jump out..Elizabeth Strout and Richard Bausch in the Pavilion on 4th @20.30hrs only €12. Richard Bausch is also doing a short story workshop on 6th at the Promenade Cafe €25.
www.mountainstosea.ie is the website.

who the xxxck is Richard Bauch ??????
and who in their right minds would pay to €25 to listen to someone bxxxsxxxit for 40 odd minutes??????
I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to be enlighted????????
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby spudseamus » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:37 am

My wife has all her books -- she said Maeve wrote books like women talk !! :shock: :shock: I didn't like her books but I do like her short stories :D may she rest in peace
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Gulliver » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:28 am

I was delighted to have taken the above pic of Maeve at the Dalkey Book Fair on 17th June.

It was her first public outing for many weeks, and I think it might have been her last

Have sent it with another pic to TV3 who are doing a special on her

May she rest in peace
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Navanman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:47 am

Am shocked and so saddened to hear the sad news.

Really find it hard to beieve.

Maeve Binchy RIP
Navanman

Postby Sinead » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:58 am

Maeve would be delighted to see her death listed under 'EVENTS'! Last night I lost a friend of
many years. To Gordon, her siblings, nieces and nephews my deepest condolences.

A true storey - some years ago a very good friend was 60 and a large celebration was being
prepared, this man had everything so what do you give as a present - HID and I spoke to
Maeve and Gordon about our dilema and Maeve wrote a short storey for him and gave us
the copyright. This is related to show how great Maeve's generosity was.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:37 am

Maeve was a great,great Lady and a true National Treasure. She served on the Philatelic Advisory Committee of the Department of Post and Telegraphs in the 70's and the early part of the 80's. Though I never met her personally I sometimes was on the other end of the phone when she rang to enquire about a forthcoming meeting of the PAC. She had a very distinctive voice which was immediately recognised,there was warmth and laughter in it. There was no financial reward in being a member and much as she enjoyed long lunches she only got an annual one from the Department. She was just proud to be a member and to make her contribution to the culture, history and image of Ireland that postage stamps tried to portray. This was at a time when stamps were a symbol of a nation and travelled throughout the world. The people who I worked with in the Philatelic Section, and who knew Maeve, said she was no respecter of grades,which was how the Civil Service was structured, to her you were a person and you were treated accordingly. May she rest in peace.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby spudseamus » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:07 am

Denis Cromie wrote:Maeve was a great,great Lady and a true National Treasure. She served on the Philatelic Advisory Committee of the Department of Post and Telegraphs in the 70's and the early part of the 80's. Though I never met her personally I sometimes was on the other end of the phone when she rang to enquire about a forthcoming meeting of the PAC. She had a very distinctive voice which was immediately recognised,there was warmth and laughter in it. There was no financial reward in being a member and much as she enjoyed long lunches she only got an annual one from the Department. She was just proud to be a member and to make her contribution to the culture, history and image of Ireland that postage stamps tried to portray. This was at a time when stamps were a symbol of a nation and travelled throughout the world. The people who I worked with in the Philatelic Section, and who knew Maeve, said she was no respecter of grades,which was how the Civil Service was structured, to her you were a person and you were treated accordingly. May she rest in peace.

just beautiful!
spudseamus

Postby Rocker » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Thinking of Maeve and her family and friends today as her funeral mass is taking place in Dalkey.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:34 am

Not sure if I should cringe or laugh at this new Irish horror aliens movie which has hit our local cinema - just one showing each day
It's called Grabbers
Have just seen the trailer.
Apparently there is only one thing which will stop the aliens - lots and lots of booze

Trailer here
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:25 pm

:D :D :D
Looks good from the trailer and the hype --
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Slurp!
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:55 am

Hope you lot all have been playing with your ukeleles
Sat. and Sunday in the Park this weekend :D :D
dont forgetr if you havent bben down yet -take it out and polish it up
put on your straw hat and off you go.
:D :D :D
" I'm leaning on the lampost"
" when Im cleaning windows"
etc-etc-etc-
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:42 pm

Was there no one on the site down plucking their ukes ??????
it was this weekend was'nt it????????
:D :D :D :D
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:48 pm

Well fer cks sake
jaaaaaaaazs
Gay Byrne Live on Stage

Riverdream presents

Talks - 13 Oct

at Pavilion Theatre

Pavilion Theatre is proud to announce a unique opportunity to see Mr. Gay Byrne, one of the most loved television and radio personalities in history for a live performance.

This show is part of a short Irish tour, and is an exclusive opportunity to enjoy Gay Byrne at his best. Gay will be telling some of the greatest show-biz stories never heard before, described as “a masterclass in comedy”. It is set to be an hilarious evening’s entertainment, with behind-the-scenes stories of the stars and the star-makers.

In his five decade broadcasting career, Gay Byrne was “the man who changed Ireland”. On both his RTÉ morning radio show and the weekly Late Late Show he introduced Ireland to modernity – and stood back to witness the brawl.

From senior politicians to senior clergy to the brightest stars in the Hollywood firmament, he has been a confessor figure to the good, the bad and the ugly. At 77, he’s now in happy semi-retirement but during his exhilarating two hour show, he talks about all the extraordinary moments he has witnessed or been at the centre of. From secondhand Donegal tombstones to US president Calvin Coolidge to first meeting Kathleen Watkins on Dawson Street, he covers an array of the insightful, the intuitive and the ingenious.

Join Ireland’s foremost legendary broadcaster in his first solo stage show
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:51 pm

It gets better as the month goes on =
David Norris in Conversation with Olivia O'Leary

DLR Libraries

Talks - 30 Oct

at Pavilion Theatre

David Norris’s decision to run for President of Ireland in 2011 proved to be the most bruising period of his life. His popularity saw him quickly established as the front-runner before a sustained and hostile media campaign eventually forced him out of the race. A Kick Against the Pricks reveals the full, no-holds-barred story of the campaign. It is a brilliant, deeply revealing autobiography, and with Olivia O’Leary conducting the interview, we look forward to what is sure to be the most fascinating political conversation of the year.
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:53 pm

with Olivia O’Leary conducting the interview, we look forward to what is sure to be the most fascinating political conversation of the year.

Well dont include me in the "we"
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:56 pm

Now we are talking
:D :D :D :D
Judy Collins

Wonderland Promotions

Music - 23 Oct

at Pavilion Theatre

JUDY COLLINS has thrilled audiences worldwide with her unique blend of interpretative folk songs and contemporary themes, including renditions of Send In The Clowns, Both Sides Now.

Her impressive career has spanned more than 50 years, during which time she has worked with Bob Dylan, Tom Paxton, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell and Randy Newman.
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Navanman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:52 am

Grammer,
I did not know Judy Collins was still doing concerts.

Was watching her recently singing at the Mary Travers funeral and her voice is still lovely.

Good artists last the test of time!
Navanman

Postby Holla » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:04 pm

Image[/quote]

The garden at the rear of Dalkey library has been dedicated to the memory of the late Meave Binchy RIP, a fitting tribute in her own town
(photo by Gulliver)
Holla

Postby Rocker » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:06 am

Just heard that today is the International Day of the Older Person. As I am creeping my way there I am becoming more aware of the problems which face the Older Person. Just heard a very interesting chat with Esther Rantzen, who is speaking at a conference in Croke Park this morning. She admitted publically that she is lonely since her husband died and family moved on.
Remember the Older person today.

When you are young and nimble the old codger seems irrevalent. Stop and look! this is someones older relation and may just need a link across the road or a hand with the heavy shopping.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:15 am

One of my fav songwriters sums it up perfectly .....

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Holla » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:23 pm

Toss wrote:One of my fav songwriters sums it up perfectly .....

great song Toss ,never heard it before ,I love chating to older people and hearing the stories they have to tell, from an early age we were encoureged by our parents to keep an eye on our elderly neighbours and call and say hello ,this is where my interest in the town its history and its characters was born, I loved listening, asking questions and lodging all the info they shared in the memory bank so you could say thanks to the older generation Iam here chating and hopefully sharing some of that info from my memory bank with you people,in the early eighties I did some work with the ALONE group set up by willie Bermingham a Dublin fireman after he found the body of an elderly person who had died alone and was not discovered untill months later,we would meet in Wynns hotel and you would be given the address of someone in your area to call and visit,many of these lonley people had families and were not short of money but lonley for company, they were so happy when you would call to see them and have a chat so moral of the story.....ITS GOOD TO TALK
Holla

Postby Navanman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:35 pm

My sad experience

My mother was in a Nursing Home on the Stillorgan Dual carriageway and we took it in turns to vist her. As I work during the day I used call in for the evening visit. When I went in there was probably 10 people sitting facing a television with absolutely no conversation going. On almost every visit I was the only person there visiting. Occasionally a "girl" around 30 years of age used visit this one particular woman. They hardly ever spoke but used just sit together. I mentioned one day that we were the only 2 people I ever see there and how was her mother. it turned it to be her friends mother (who incidentally had written a book on Stillorgan) and as her friend was away she was calling in to keep her friends mother company.

I had occasion to visit another family friend in another nursing home and it was exactly the same atmosphere.

Real need for some organisation to visit nursing homes and the elderly in their homes.

All you need to do is sit down and chat about anything under the sun.

That record "Cat in the cradle" by Harry Chapin rings so true.

Navanman
Navanman

PreviousNext

Return to NEWS AND UPCOMING EVENTS