Events

Activities, Festivals, Exhibitions etc...

Re: Events

Postby Gulliver » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:17 am

Strum - it's great - like it a lot
There is a problem, though. You have shown the Mariners Church spire taller than the RC spire (St Michaels). The last time that happened(1896), they had to tear down the tower of St Michaels and rebuild it. You will be damned to eternal fire and brimstone.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Great painting Strum ;)
You are a talented man- wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:55 pm

Well the leaving cert results were out during the week---
The usual hysteria from the radio and papers ----
Screaming girls waving papers in the air --------oh boys did the exam as well -but in our new world that does'nt count.
This gender xxxx is really becoming a pain in the gataux.
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Sinead » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:36 pm

Strum, a great painting, any chance you can get to hang this instead of the blurb of yer man?

Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:31 pm

Love it Strum.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:35 pm

Thanks folks, much appreciated. Nothing is accurate in it, just an impression, but yes Gulliver spot on, I mean to take a section out of it, that'll spare me from the fiery furnace. Cheers. thumbright

Strum, a great painting, any chance you can get to hang this instead of the blurb of yer man?

Sinead, I have no idea anymore how the process works, I suppose through the Arts office first? Gulliver?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:31 pm

That's a lovely piece of work Strum. wuu wuu wuu
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby keeper » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:40 pm

Nice one Strum thumbright thumbright
keeper

Postby Strum » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:35 pm

Thanks Keeper and Denis. ;) thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:44 pm

Speaking of events, I was out at the Hooley in the People's Park yesterday, have to say the Jive Aces were terrific, looked at a few of their videos on you tube, some beautifully filmed ones there, especially Charlie Chaplins Smile.
keeper

Postby Rocker » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:11 am

This Cabinteely Carnival sounds interesting.DLRcoco posted this.

Cabinteely Carnival
Date:
Sunday September 11th
Time:
1pm to 5pm
Cost:
Free

The amazing, astounding and awesome annual Cabinteely Carnival pitches up in Cabinteely Park with its attractions between 1pm and 5pm on Sunday September 11th 2016.

The Carnival will take place in front of Cabinteely House, and is a free family fun day out featuring circus performers, activities and a chance to learn some circus skills.

Some of the stars of this year's Cabinteely Carnival are:

The Barren Carrousel

An international duo trapeze act, featuring Kelsey Long (USA) and Anita Woods (Northern Ireland). Kelsey and Anita have been performing together as The Barren Carrousel since 2006. They have trained extensively in Australia, Germany, USA, Holland, France and Belgium specializing in aerial (silks, trapeze, web and hoop), contortion and acrobatics. They have toured throughout the UK and Ireland in festivals, fairs and corporate events.

Jack Wise

Jack is a magnificent, multitalented Magician. He's also a Ventriloquist, Pickpocket & Sword Swallower!!!

Jack has mastered the art of Sword Swallowing and is one of only sixty sword swallowers in the world today. He is proud to be a member of The Sword Swallowers International Association. His outstanding displays of Illusion and Magic have left audiences speechless.

Cabinteely Carnival will also feature Bouncy Castles to beat the band, an Antique Carousel, Circus Skills classes for the budding performers, Facepainting and Walkabout Entertainers. It’s going to be an unmissable day out all set against the beautiful backdrop of Cabinteely House.

Entry and attractions at the event are free but parking is very limited at the park so we recommend you walk or use public transport.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:00 pm

Just see that there is an evening with Ann Patchett the American author in the Lexicon Level 4 on Monday 22 May 8P.M tickets €12 and €10 booking Eventbrite.ie. That should be a goodun!.

On 2nd May at 7p.m at the Studio Theatre in the Lexicon there will be "Julie Parsons in conversation with Declan Hughes" tickets free but booking is essential on Eventbrite.ie. You may remember Julie as a producer with R.T.E.
some books Michael McLoughlin Series
Mary Mary (1998)
I Saw You (2007)
Other novels
The Courtship Gift (1999)
Eager to Please (2000)
The Guilty Heart (2003)
The Smoking Room (2004)
The Hourglass (2005). Another good night by the sounds of it.

On May 29th at 8p.m at Level 4 in the Lexicon "An evening with Tim Winton" the Australian writer tickets €12 and €10 at Eventbrite.ie
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:32 am

Shankill Loughlinstown & Ballybrack Local Policing Forum Public Meeting will take place in St. Laurence College, Loughlinstown on Monday 22nd of May from 7.30pm.

This is your opportunity to raise any concerns about the area with the local Gardai and see what they are doing in the area in relation to crime and public safety.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sat May 13, 2017 5:15 pm

I spotted this on a flyer in the Eblana Club on the table quiz night. Anybody know where it's on? Is it in the Eblana?

Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Sun May 14, 2017 10:21 am

I would imagine that Tom Conlon a local author and historian (of this parish) would be talking on some historical fraud not something current !!.

I cant' find anything on any site about the talk but, I'm going down to the Eblana Club later to meet some extended family members and I'll see if there is anything around or if anyone knows where the talk will be.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sun May 14, 2017 1:31 pm

Rocker wrote:I would imagine that Tom Conlon a local author and historian (of this parish) would be talking on some historical fraud not something current !!.

Thanks Rocker. The flyer is on the wall just inside the main door. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Sun May 14, 2017 6:45 pm

Strum wrote:
Rocker wrote:I would imagine that Tom Conlon a local author and historian (of this parish) would be talking on some historical fraud not something current !!.

Thanks Rocker. The flyer is on the wall just inside the main door. thumbright

The talk is on 1 June at 8 p.m in the Eblana Club Eblana Avenue.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sun May 14, 2017 8:11 pm

Rocker wrote: The talk is on 1 June at 8 p.m in the Eblana Club Eblana Avenue.

Have to go to this Rocker, thanks for checking it out. thumbright

talking on some historical fraud not something current

That's why it's interesting. I wonder how it compares to today. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Mon May 15, 2017 10:31 am

Strum wrote:I wonder how it compares to today. :D

No chance .... we are as white as the driven snow today, every decision is run through so many channels that its impossible to discover whos actually making the call. Sure even the poor Gardai dont know who does what in their organisation any more and they are the experts in detection :roll:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Strum » Mon May 15, 2017 1:17 pm

Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Tue May 30, 2017 12:05 pm

International Harbour Food Festival
Date: Sunday June 4th & Monday June 5th 2017

The International Harbour Food Festival on Sunday June 4th and Monday June 5th 2017 on the East Pier will celebrate the Bicentenary of Dún Laoghaire Harbour with Food Stalls representing countries from around the world, an Outdoor Marine Art Exhibition, Historic Street Theatre performances, Bands on the Bandstand and Strolling Entertainers.

Food Stalls representing Greece, France, Brazil, USA, Hungary, China, Czech Republic, Nigeria among others will feature everything from Falafel to Langos, Doughnuts to Dumplings and BBQ to Popcorn.

A specially commissioned Historic Street Theatre performance "The Building of a Pier" will tell the story of how the Harbour came to be built, in a fun family-friendly show. Discover the part two ships The Prince of Wales and The Rochdale played in the Harbour's development and who Richard Toutcher was.

The event will feature a Marine Art Exhibition, which will take place between 10am to 6pm from Saturday June 3rd to Monday June 5th.

Music will come from Upbeat Generation, the Lindsay Ryan Jazz Band and The Retronauts throughout the afternoon on both days of the event.

The International Harbour Food Festival will be a great way to visit Dún Laoghaire over the June Bank Holiday weekend and join the bicentenary celebrations for the Harbour.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Tue May 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Dun Laoghaire is set for a summer of celebrations to mark the Harbours 200th anniversary. The Dun Laoghaire Harbour Bicentenary Steering Group has announced its programme of activities to coincide with the milestone event.

The Opening Ceremony will be officiated by President Michael D Higgins & the groups Patron Minister Mary Mitchell O Connor on 31st May. Other featured events include an International Harbour Food Festival featuring over 25 unique vendors (5th & 6th June), a live Viking Invasion re-enactment with longboats as seen on the hit TV Show ‘Vikings’ (20th August) and The Kingstown 200 Classic Boat Race (8th July).
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:51 pm

If you like classical Guitar and never heard Pat before all I can say is mesmerising, and what a venue. I highly recommend it folks. thumbright

Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:53 pm

will put that in the diary. I was watching him build the guitar on FB. Some talent there.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Rocker wrote:will put that in the diary. I was watching him build the guitar on FB. Some talent there.

I've been watching that from the start too Rocker. Amazing to see it come together step by step.
Strum
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NEWS AND UPCOMING EVENTS