Harbour Workers

The Port's Ferries Past and Present

Harbour Workers

Postby Sputnik » Mon May 12, 2008 5:57 am

My brother passed this photo on to me in very poor condition. However, with the help of Strum it can now be posted. Taken in 70 or 71, it is a gathering of a lot of the Harbour workers to farewell E Mahoney as he emigrated to Australia. Most of these men were from the York Road, Cross Avenue area.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Waterfront Mafia ca. 1970 – 71.

Seated (L to R). N Mahoney (Shipwright), Skee Grey (Boatbuilder /Shipwright), B O’Carroll, EMahoney (Shipwright), C Mahoney (Shipwright), J Brennan (Lifeboat)
Standing middle row (L to R). H MacDonald, H Austin (RSGYC boatman), M Shortall (boatman), Bruce ?, E Offer (Lifeboat cox.), ? Durkin, G Manners, S Doyle (RSGYC Head Boatman), M Davis (Winchman), M Dunphy (apprentice Shipwright), A Millar (Irish Lights), K MacDonald, M Power (RSGYC), S Gaynor (Rigger), J Millar (RIYC), D MacDonald (Dockyard), Owner of Carney Arms, J MacDonald, Harry Shortall (LMS/Sealink).
Back Row (L to R). K Tormey (Lifeboat), E Davis (Boatman), G Gaynor (Boatman), T Merrigan (Seaman ex Irish Navy), M MacDonald (Dockyard/Boatman)

The two women were waitresses at the Carney Arms.

It is interesting that we were on the subject of nicknames in another thread. Some of the nicknames here are: Skee, Hogger, Mousey, Snatcher, Gip and Tugger.
Last edited by Sputnik on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby Sputnik » Mon May 12, 2008 6:10 am

This is a photo of the Lifeboat crew mid-1960's, pre JFK. Again, thanks to Strum for enhancing the quality.

L to R: Jack Brennan, Harry Shortall, Charlie Blackmore (Mechanic), Willie Jenkins (not a crew member but son of Coxwain John Jenkins), Sam Blackmore (2nd Coxwain), Sam Hughes, Kevin Tormey, Paddy O'Brien.
Missing is John Jenkins, Coxwain, probably taking the photo.
Last edited by Sputnik on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby jordo » Mon May 12, 2008 9:57 am

They are great photos Sputnik. The only one I recognise (at the moment) is Henry Austin. He wrote a wonderful piece about working in the coal yard and mentions many of the old characters and their nick names and it was read out on Sunday Miscellany a few years back. Anyone that knows him should should try get it and post it here. It was really good stuff, and is going back a few years but I think he said his nick name was Skippy and he also mentioned Hughie McCann, one of the rare old gentlemen of the time who drove for McCormicks.
jordo

Postby Toby » Mon May 12, 2008 5:19 pm

Great photos, Sputnik. Is that the Harry Shortall from Symths Villas? I was only talking to him the other week.

:D Toby
Toby
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Isolda » Mon May 12, 2008 9:09 pm

Great pictures of what looks like a night to end all nights. Must admit can't place anyone specific, even the the guy from Symths Vilas and we have rellys there. Will def have a go at uploading some of the old stuff I have and myabe someone can place them :D
Isolda

Postby Snowhite » Mon May 12, 2008 9:50 pm

Great Pic's Sputnik ;-)
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Sputnik » Mon May 12, 2008 11:50 pm

Hi Jordo

I had the great pleasure of bumping into Henry Austin when I was home two years ago. He was working in a pet shop in Greystones. He is, indeed, a great story teller and has had many published in Irelands Own. I don't recall him having the nickname Skippy.

Isolda
In the party photo there are eight men from Smyths Villas alone. And, in the lifeboat photo there are 4. I would imagine there are few people in Smyths Villas still working on the Harbour today.
Last edited by Sputnik on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby jordo » Tue May 13, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi Sputnik,
I was on to R T E about Henry's article but they didn't hold out much hope of it being archived as I told them it was a 'long time ago. Lets see what happens. Don't know what put the name Skippy into my head either.

Jordo.
jordo

Postby Toby » Thu May 15, 2008 9:17 pm

I think this thread/ topic could be a good one, I love the old photos of the Harbour workers, it would be great if others could beg, borrow or steal them and post them here. Also the coal yards etc.

:D Toby
Toby

Postby grammer » Thu May 15, 2008 10:53 pm

great stuff there sputnik

yes would'nt it be nice--maybe someone -has some more buried away in a drawer and has forgotten all about them
grammer

Re: Harbour Workers

Postby St Columba » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:15 am

A few old friends of mine in here - Sean Doyle, Mick Power, Mousey Shortall, the late Kevin Tormey, the late Jack Brennan and the late Eric Offer.

Sputnik wrote:My brother passed this photo on to me in very poor condition. However, with the help of Strum it can now be posted. Taken in 70 or 71, it is a gathering of a lot of the Harbour workers to farewell E Mahoney as he emigrated to Australia. Most of these men were from the York Road, Cross Avenue area.

[img][img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/3787/waterfrontmafiatj6.png[/img][/img]

The Waterfront Mafia ca. 1970 - 71.

Seated (L to R). N Mahoney (Shipwright), Skee Grey (Boatbuilder /Shipwright), B O’Carroll, EMahoney (Shipwright), C Mahoney (Shipwright), J Brennan (Lifeboat)
Standing middle row (L to R). H MacDonald, H Austin (RSGYC boatman), M Shortall (boatman), Bruce ?, E Offer (Lifeboat cox.), ? Durkin, G Manners, S Doyle (RSGYC Head Boatman), M Davis (Winchman), M Dunphy (apprentice Shipwright), A Millar (Irish Lights), K MacDonald, M Power (RSGYC), S Gaynor (Rigger), J Millar (RIYC), D MacDonald (Dockyard), Owner of Carney Arms, J MacDonald, Harry Shortall (LMS/Sealink).
Back Row (L to R). K Tormey (Lifeboat), E Davis (Boatman), G Gaynor (Boatman), T Merrigan (Seaman ex Irish Navy), M MacDonald (Dockyard/Boatman)

The two women were waitresses at the Carney Arms.

It is interesting that we were on the subject of nicknames in another thread. Some of the nicknames here are: Skee, Hogger, Mousey, Snatcher, Gip and Tugger.
St Columba

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:13 pm

Wellcome St Columba good to have you aboard :D

Toby
Toby

Postby Toby » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:38 am

Sputnik wrote:This is a photo of the Lifeboat crew mid-1960's, pre JFK. Again, thanks to Strum for enhancing the quality.

L to R: Jack Brennan, Harry Shortall, Charlie Blackmore (Mechanic), Willie Jenkins (not a crew member but son of Coxwain John Jenkins), Sam Blackmore (2nd Coxwain), Sam Hughes, Kevin Tormey, Paddy O'Brien.
Missing is John Jenkins, Coxwain, probably taking the photo.

I`m saddened to say that poor Harry passed away last Friday, only met him a few times always found him to be a nice feller. He knew everything about the harbour and all the auld characters who lived and worked around there. RIP Harry
Toby

Postby St Columba » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Poor Harry, I'm very sad to hear this - I knew him well from his days with British Rail/Sealink.
St Columba

Postby Sputnik » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:24 am

Hi Toby

Sorry to hear about the passing of Harry Shortall. Your post was the first I had heard of it. Another York Road link with the Harbour lost. May he rest in Peace.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby dblackmore » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:32 am

Hi all,

Im new to this site,Im just wondering how i can access the photos on this forum 'harbour workers' there are some of my relations in these pics..Im Darren Blackmore..My dad was john Blackmore,he was a plumber in the corpo for over 40 years,his dad was Gillie Blackmore,who ran the barbers shop in lower georges street,im sure many people will remember them both,sadly my dad passed away in July....

regards

Darren
dblackmore

Postby Strum » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Hi Darren. There has been mention of your Grandfather Gillie here. Try the search function top right, and welcome to the site. :D

I'm afraid the photos are gone from imageshack and will need to be reposted.
Strum
Administrator

Postby dblackmore » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Thanks for that ,
dblackmore

Postby jordo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:17 pm

Welcome to the Site dblackmore.

Sorry to hear about your dad RIP

Hopefully Toby or Sputnik will see your message and repost the photos.
jordo

Postby Sputnik » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:24 am

PM sent to Darren.
I'm having a few technical problems but will re-post the photos soon.
Waken me for meals.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:23 am

That would be great Sputnik thanks. I'll edit the other posts when and if you get the photos up. Cheers.
Strum
Administrator

Postby johndle » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:45 am

Welcome Darren Once your in

You cant get Out :twisted: :twisted:
johndle
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Harjoe » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:01 pm

welcome to the site darren i knew both your father and grandfather and my family were connheected to the minstrals.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi Darren-your welcome to the site
your Dad I knew very well -he was one of the good guys --a gentleman -he wasnt a bad plumber either :D :D

Darren If you have any old photos from around D/L root them out and put them on the site -
if you have any problems putting them up give me or one of the other members a shout --
I dont think I live a million miles away from you :D :D :D :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Sputnik » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:58 am

Photos re-posted above.
Waken me for meals.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Next

Return to THE FERRY