The SS Isolda

The Port's Ferries Past and Present

Isolda

Postby Chiropodist » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:04 pm

I remember that ship which was moored off the East Pier near the Lighthouse. It was said that it was used for taking mooring buoys to and from and there was another one not so big moored nearby called the Irene. The lightships were tied up over at the West pier.
Chiropodist

Postby grammer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:29 am

jajajajajajaaakers -things move so fast here that I missed Isoldas post --
hi Isolda --hope your keeping well -
nice to read your posts---
grammer

Postby jordo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am

Isolda wrote:I would love to think this came from my Grandad's ship but.. the Isolda cutlery was marked with the Irish Lights stamp ( a light house and initials)
We had rather a lot of this exclusive set at my Granny's. I think you obtained it by putting it in your coat pocket on shore leave and not bringing it back.
Hello to all who know me XXX

HAHAHA, great to see you back Isolda and that you haven't lost that unique sense of humour :D :D :D
jordo

Re: The SS Isolda

Postby alex guy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:26 pm

Hello folks, I am very interested in stories about the old SS. Isolda. My late father, Alex Guy was the carpenter on this ship, and was on board on that fateful morning of 19th. December 1940. He was knocked unconsious by shrapnel hitting his head, and was thrown into the sea by another sailor. The icy water revived him, and he was picked up by one of the lifeboats. I was only 5 years old at the time, but I can remember my father coming home to our house in Dalkey, with a large bandage on his head. I think that it was a sad irony that he died exactly 13 years later, on the 19th. December 1953. I wondered if any of the other survivors are still living, and if they would remember my father. Sincerly, Alex Guy
alex guy

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:43 pm

Welcome to the Site Alex. I hope you can find some more info.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Mariner » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:46 pm

This oil painting by Kenneth King is in the Maritime Museum
This was a Dun Laoghaire Tragedy
She had bouys on her decks, one theory is that the German thought she was laying mines.

http://www.mariner.ie/history/remember/wwii-losses/isolda

Mariner

Previous

Return to THE FERRY