The SS Isolda

The Port's Ferries Past and Present

Postby Snowhite » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:29 pm

Thought you might find this interesting Isolda ;-)

Isolda (1477–1498), Princess of Ireland. Briefly Queen of Cornwall in 1497. Daughter of King Morhault of Ireland, who died in battle when Isolda was 10. The Morhault had willed Isolda to the care of his old ally, Duke Roland of Gloucester, whose wise counsel had saved Ireland from civil war in 1468. Roland was given the right to choose Isolda’s husband; the first son of this union would become King of Ireland. Isolda was warmly welcomed into Roland’s family, although her relationship with Duchess Margaret was always strained. It was revealed later that she and Roland’s eldest son, Tristan, had secretly become lovers, unbeknownst to Roland. Shortly before Roland was elected by the kings of Britain to become King of Somerset in 1496, Roland’s second son Gideon made his father swear an oath that Isolda should be bestowed on him, and Margaret forced the issue. During Roland’s Coronation, Tristan chose to reveal his love for Isolda, and this sparked the Day of Tournaments to win her hand, in which Isolda herself participated, defeating Gideon in an equestrian competition. After Tristan nearly killed Gideon during the final tourney, Roland decided to relinquish Isolda to King Mark of Cornwall in the hope of averting civil war between his sons.

King Mark held her as a virtual prisoner in Tintagel Castle for nearly a year until their wedding. During this time, Margaret visited her often to relieve her own guilt, and the two finally bonded as mother and daughter. After the wedding ceremony in 1497, Isolda was crowned the Queen of Cornwall. Roland and Margaret then hosted a reception in Somerset, but Tristan secretly arrived in disguise. Tristan revealed himself and slew Mark after the Cornish king publicly struck Isolda across the face, but Tristan was unable to rescue Isolda at that time. At the conclusion of the Civil War between Roland and Tristan, Roland repealed his former judgments, and allowed Tristan and Isolda to wed at last. The next morning, at dawn, Tristan and Isolda were married.

After the murder of King Mark, the people of Ireland grew displeased with the way their future ruler was being determined. The Irish Kings therefore sided with Isolda’s brother, the second Morhault, who had been banished by their father years before for committing acts of unspeakable evil. The Morhault allied himself with King Vortigern of Cornwall during his bid for power in Somerset. However, the Irish Prince ruined Vortigern’s treaty by challenging Tristan to the death and then ambushing him, along with Isolda, with a small army of soldiers. After defeating them, the Morhault demanded that Tristan and Isolda drink cups filled to the brim with poison. Otherwise, the Morhault would kill Tristan and drag Isolda in chains back to Ireland.

Preferring death to separation from Tristan again, Isolda convinced her husband that they should drink from the lethal cups. After doing so, both Tristan and Isolda fought against the roguish force, and though severely wounded during the battle, they succeeded in destroying the entire force, including the Morhault. The two lovers then crawled pitifully across the battlefield towards each other, and died moments before the arrival of Roland and his knights. Isolda’s undying love for Tristan became legendary throughout Europe, and many young ladies and princesses later sought to emulate her sincerity and devotion.

Tristan and Isolda were buried together in a magnificent tomb in the Enchanted Forest.
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Strum » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:35 pm

Wow, true love eh, sad but great story Snowy!
Strum
Administrator

Postby Snowhite » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:39 pm

Ah I'm a sucker for a Love Story.......Image
Snowhite

Postby Snowhite » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:47 pm

I've heard of The SS Isolda till today,so googled it and........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stor ... 0846.shtml
Snowhite

Postby Strum » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:57 pm

Snowhite wrote:I've heard of The SS Isolda till today,so googled it and........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stor ... 0846.shtml

Great stories Snowy. I googled "The Sinking of the SS Isolda" and there's just endless stuff out there....
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:44 pm

great stories there folks
grammer

Postby spudseamus » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:26 am

wow what a great film that would make --in the vein of lord of the rings
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:53 am

spudseamus wrote:wow what a great film that would make --in the vein of lord of the rings

Good one Spud! ;-)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Isolda » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:02 am

What a brilliant love story and guess what they did film it the other year but the film was pretty so so!

Click on this link to IMDB. Not sure if you have to be a member to see it but you can rent the film easily from all good DVD stores!!

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0375154/

As to the other Isolda, possibly less romantic and a lot heavier! If you want to see a good site for this, try this one.

www.irishseamensrelativesassociation.org

Peter Mulvaney who runs it is an amazing man. He is very educated and still drives a bus in the city (not sure what number) He helped me get the medals for Granda and my Da from the government, which involved registering Granda's death about 60 years after he died. There is great info on the Leinster and other Irish vessels too!

Last year we went to see Little Britain Live in Dublin and on the way back to Tara Street for the Dart we had to cross the Liffey. We could have chosen any one of few bridges but we happened to cross and there in front of us was a huge memorial to the Isolda. There was a couple snogging on the steps and they were a bit put out that we wanted to take photos!! Obviously not of them!

Have seen the great account on People's War and if I can I will post the piece written by the Captain which is graphic and quite literary.
Isolda

Postby Opal » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:39 pm

Isolda wrote:What a brilliant love story and guess what they did film it the other year but the film was pretty so so!

Click on this link to IMDB. Not sure if you have to be a member to see it but you can rent the film easily from all good DVD stores!!

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0375154/

How weird is this......... I've just popped into my Local SPAR on Thomas Street, and what did I spy in the DVD to buy rack on my way out!!???

"Tristan + Isolde" in a DVD Box set with "Braveheart" and "Kingdom of Heaven" for €14.99
Opal

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:47 pm

Wow, what a coincidence Opal! A Story of True love and yer off to Germany.... :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Opal » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:57 pm

Strum wrote:Wow, what a coincidence Opal! A Story of True love and yer off to Germany.... :D

LMAO Strumpet a coincidence indeed!!!! Check the "Grumpy Old Women" Thread Image

I'm just being Paranoid yet again LOL I hope
Opal

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:03 pm

I'll go read that now Opal. Oh gawd what have I said...

Here it is online...could have saved you a few bob Opal, thats if you bought it! :D
I use this site often to watch free movies...I can't remember but you might be asked to install something. It's safe.

http://www.tv-links.cc/movie/tristan-isolde.htm

Scroll down to where it says...

full movie
1/3
2/3
3/3
part 1
part 2
part 3

The full movie link is in japanese, and the part 1, part 2, part 3, have no full screen option, so start with the 1/3 link. It will open in a new window.
Leave the original page open.
When the first part ends, just close the window and click on 2/3 etc and it takes up when the other part ended! Voila!

BTW, theres a thousands of movies, TV shows etc on this site. Enjoy! :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Opal » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:13 pm

Thanks for the link treacle, I didn't buy it (I NEVER buy movies), well apart from ones I've seen and I know I love like the LOTR Extended Version DVDs :mrgreen:

And two or three or four "Irish" movies that may not get "online"......

"Spin the Bottle", "Dancing at Lughnasa", "Song for a Raggy Boy" and "Adam and Paul" so far
Opal

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:22 pm

Opal wrote:
"Spin the Bottle", "Dancing at Lughnasa", "Song for a Raggy Boy" and "Adam and Paul" so far

Umm...havn't seen any of them.

Back to the SS Isolda... ;-)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Isolda » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:35 pm

Now, see where the Isolda can lead you to !!

Have seen Dancing at Lughnasa and thought it was beautiful. Will watch anything with Brid Brennan. Anyone seen Ane Devlin? She is great in that and you will never see David Kelly in the same light again...just sing the Anne Devlin song to yourself until you get to the bit about cruel Kilmainham Jail..

Strange co-incidence people seeing it today...but maybe we would have seen it there on another day and it might not have been quite so high up in our brain agenda (that is not a technical term)
Isolda

Postby Opal » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:46 pm

Isolda wrote:Now, see where the Isolda can lead you to !!

Have seen Dancing at Lughnasa and thought it was beautiful. Will watch anything with Brid Brennan. Anyone seen Ane Devlin? She is great in that and you will never see David Kelly in the same light again...just sing the Anne Devlin song to yourself until you get to the bit about cruel Kilmainham Jail..

Strange co-incidence people seeing it today...but maybe we would have seen it there on another day and it might not have been quite so high up in our brain agenda (that is not a technical term)

Know what you mean about the "brain agenda" thing, it's been so true for me about so so much recently.
Opal

Postby Opal » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:48 pm

Strum wrote:
Opal wrote:

Umm...havn't seen any of them.

Back to the SS Isolda... ;-)

You should see "Dancing at Lughnasa" and "Song for a Raggy Boy" at least :mrgreen:
Opal

Postby Snowhite » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:26 pm

Another film to add to that list of must see movie's ....Inside I'm Dancing...
Snowhite

Postby Strum » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Making soup and just spotted the back of the handle.
I have this for YEARS and never noticed it before.
Do you reckon it was originally cutlery from the Isolda? Nah have to be a Hotel eh?
Different spelling.

Strum
Administrator

Postby Isolda » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:55 pm

I would love to think this came from my Grandad's ship but.. the Isolda cutlery was marked with the Irish Lights stamp ( a light house and initials)
We had rather a lot of this exclusive set at my Granny's. I think you obtained it by putting it in your coat pocket on shore leave and not bringing it back.
Hello to all who know me xxx
Isolda

Postby Strum » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:06 pm

Well goodness me Isolda...welcome back. Was thinking of you and if all was well in your world?

Different spelling on that cutlery I have...and I only have that one piece.
Like I said, different spelling, "Isolda" "Isolde" so its probably from a hotel or something.
You can have it if you like! Nice to hear from you. :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Isolda » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Hi Strum

Nice to be in touch too. I'm alright for cutlery at the moment but the soup would be good if you could post it. Jordo is often in touch which is lovely. I am off to my bed with an early start to get my son up for his Film making course at the Chldren's University. Kids these days eh?
Isolda

Postby Strum » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:15 pm

Haha, my Son hits Secondary this year, and I may have to move residence in November... :roll:
Big changes ahead all round! :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:16 pm

Haha, my Son starts Secondary this year... :cool: ...and I may have to move residence in November... :roll:
Big changes ahead all round! :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Next

Return to THE FERRY