The Harbour Through The Years

The Port's Ferries Past and Present

Re: The Harbour Through The Years

Postby keeper » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:23 pm

Yes ! it does, and you are correct, it did seem to be busy enough, remember getting free fish from the trawlers but can't remember if they came into that cutting, I'm nearly sure the tenders used it to leave from there to bring people out to their boats and supply the Irish Lights boats. It's good you remember it.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Thomastown » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:40 pm

keeper wrote:Yes ! it does, and you are correct, it did seem to be busy enough, remember getting free fish from the trawlers but can't remember if they came into that cutting, I'm nearly sure the tenders used it to leave from there to bring people out to their boats and supply the Irish Lights boats. It's good you remember it.

My god you just brought back a memory of that little harbour,down there several times when I was a kid .I used to collect papers for Jack Kenny at the railway station and would often hang around there while we were waiting for the train to deliver the newspapers from town.TT
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby keeper » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:09 pm

Yes I remember the piles of newspapers arriving at the station, the other thought that came across my mind was the diver who used to check the piers for cracks or faults, he walked along the bottom of the harbour, he worked from a tender and wore the old fashioned diving suit with the huge helmet and leaded boots, I think Tommy Vella's dad was his attendent on the barge, feeding down the air pipes and watching oxygen levels, do you recall his name ?
keeper

Postby Micheál » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:31 pm

If my memory serves me right, that Diving Helmet is an exhibit in the Mariners Museum. Maybe the occupants name is there too.
I used to watch the guys operate from the West Pier and I THINK I recall there was sometimes only ONE guy topside. I used to wonder what would happen if he had a heart attack.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:42 pm

See Gorey's picture in the Maritime Museum topic -
http://www.dunlaoghairecounty.ie/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1604#p84842
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby keeper » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks for piccie info M,looks like the suit ok, and, yes, just the one man on the surface, not safe practice methinks !!
keeper

Postby Sputnik » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:46 am

Hi Folks

Sorry for the absence from the site. I had lots of trouble logging in and I have been travelling.
I clearly remember the railway spur that ran from Dun Laoghaire station through the Irish Lights. It actually ran all the way to the Coal Quay. There was an end-buffer near where the ice-plant now stands. There were a few wooden goods carriages sitting on the quay for years. They would disappear from time to time and then appear again. I think CIE used the line for storage. I vaguely remember some reference to them being used to transport soap.
There were also tracks from the Coal Quay up to the Fish Bridge (this road is called Harcourt Terrace on Google Maps????). They were more like tram-lines, ie flush with the roadway and were still there up to the late 60's. They were originally used to cart coal up to Tedcastles, McCormicks and Heitons coalyards, horse-drawn. I don't remember the lines on the street beyond the bridge but clearly remember them starting again and running into both McCormicks (Clarence Street) and Heitons (Cumberland Street) yards.
Waken me for meals.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby Sinead » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:38 pm

At the back of the Irish Lights there was a railway turntable!
In that small harbour, called either the Jetty or the Depot there was a slipway, a couple of buildings one of which was a morgue. Dun Laoghaire Historical Society has at lease one photograph of this area taken by the late Matt Byrne. I believe the lot was just buried when the area was built on for the ferry.
The trawlers only came in at the coal quays, there was no ice house there when my parents went to buy fish from the boats.

Sinead
Sinead

Postby farmboy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:41 pm

My late father built the ice house, I,m not certain of the exact year maybe around 1974 or 1975. I remember it because I was working in Farrells on the West pier at the time and it was built during a harsh winter at that time. My father was also a good friend of Matt Byrne who was also a bricklayer and a very knowledgeable man in matters relating to Dun Laoghaire.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Thomastown » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:52 pm

[
Last edited by Thomastown on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby cambria49 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:08 am

Could be DMP, but also possibly habour constables - uniform is similar. The vessel on the west side of the Carlisle Pier is not a mail boat and I wonder if she is in fact linked with the Lord Lieutenant... might need to research! A number of vessels dressed overall would certainly suggest a VIP visit of some sort. A lot of smoke stain on the railway shed, so a little later than 1900 - maybe closer to 1910?
cambria49
Advanced Member

Postby jwdalk » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:34 pm

What a great photo TT!!!!!
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Great photo TT.

I found this one in a folder. I think it's the Hibernia.

Is this yours Justin?

Strum
Administrator

Postby Thomastown » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:37 pm

Lovely photo Strum.TT
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:03 pm

It is TT but I think it may be from Justins collection and I downloaded it to draw it? The Yacht makes it a great drawing. :D

I'm painting this one at the moment but I need to clarify which Lightship it is please? Skua or something like that? Thanks.

Strum
Administrator

Postby cambria49 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:37 am

Hi Strum,

I do have that print in a box somewhere, but don't know who took it. She's quite new in that shot.
cambria49
Advanced Member

Postby Thomastown » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:20 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is one I took some years ago .Is it the same Light Ship?
TT
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby Thomastown » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The South Rock Light Ship with Michael English (Light Ship Keeper) is that the correct title?
A lovely man and dear friend,now sadly passed on.
TT
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby keeper » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Probably a silly question, but without the names on the Light Ships how could they be identified ? They always seemed to be identical in shape, superstructure etc, I loved to see them in the harbour, their red colour seemed to stand out, well I know they were supposed to. Does any one remember when the mailboat broke loose from her moorings and drifted across towards a Light Ship moored over at the West Pier ? we watched it all from our classroom window facing out to the harbour in Eblana Primary School, circa 1959-60, that Light Ship I think was used by the Sea Scouts for some reason, can't remember it's name, it was there for some years. I don't remember why the Mailboat brook loose, whether it was an engine failure or storm, but it was the cause of great excitement for us and a grandstand view !!
keeper

Postby Strum » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Most of them had the name painted on the side Keeper, but I remember Farmboy posting this one moored on the Liffey a while back but can't find the post.
Can you scroll down folks and identify the Lightship I posted. Skua?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Thomastown » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:45 pm

keeper wrote:Probably a silly question, but without the names on the Light Ships how could they be identified ? They always seemed to be identical in shape, superstructure etc, I loved to see them in the harbour, their red colour seemed to stand out, well I know they were supposed to. Does any one remember when the mailboat broke loose from her moorings and drifted across towards a Light Ship moored over at the West Pier ? we watched it all from our classroom window facing out to the harbour in Eblana Primary School, circa 1959-60, that Light Ship I think was used by the Sea Scouts for some reason, can't remember it's name, it was there for some years. I don't remember why the Mailboat brook loose, whether it was an engine failure or storm, but it was the cause of great excitement for us and a grandstand view !!

As far as I know each Light Ship had ts own name eg.The Ganett was a Lightship if it was stationed on the Kish Bank it would have Kish Bank painted on the side.If the location changed then the name would have to be changed for its new location eg. if it was moved to the South Rock then South Rock would be painted on it but it would still be the Ganett on duty in that location.TT
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby Thomastown » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:02 pm

Strum wrote:It is TT but I think it may be from Justins collection and I downloaded it to draw it? The Yacht makes it a great drawing. :D

I'm painting this one at the moment but I need to clarify which Lightship it is please? Skua or something like that? Thanks.

The Skua is tied up in Arklow .Not sure if that is the Skua,recommend you google Irish Lights Lightships.TT
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby jwdalk » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Thomastown wrote:
keeper wrote:Probably a silly question, but without the names on the Light Ships how could they be identified ? They always seemed to be identical in shape, superstructure etc, I loved to see them in the harbour, their red colour seemed to stand out, well I know they were supposed to. Does any one remember when the mailboat broke loose from her moorings and drifted across towards a Light Ship moored over at the West Pier ? we watched it all from our classroom window facing out to the harbour in Eblana Primary School, circa 1959-60, that Light Ship I think was used by the Sea Scouts for some reason, can't remember it's name, it was there for some years. I don't remember why the Mailboat brook loose, whether it was an engine failure or storm, but it was the cause of great excitement for us and a grandstand view !!

As far as I know each Light Ship had ts own name eg.The Ganett was a Lightship if it was stationed on the Kish Bank it would have Kish Bank painted on the side.If the location changed then the name would have to be changed for its new location eg. if it was moved to the South Rock then South Rock would be painted on it but it would still be the Ganett on duty in that location.TT

That ship was called the Albatross, I was involved with it from the mid seventies until the early eighties. It was used for training courses for sea scout badges and sailing, canoe and boatsmanship skills. As far as I know the Irish Lights Lightships were all named after seabirds, Albatross, Skua, Kittiwake, Guillemot, etc. They were automated and gradually removed from service as superbuoys were introduced. The last one on station was Gannet on South Rock,withdrawn in February 2009, so this is probably the one in the photo. They weren't all scrapped, some had interesting post service histories. The Albatross was moved to Grand Canal Dock. In 1999 it was painted with luminous paint by artist Dorothy Cross and moored as a "Ghost Ship" in Scotsmans Bay for a few weeks. The Osprey was towed to Paris and is a restaurant on the Seine. The Kittiwake is beside the O2 in Dublin and the Guillemot is set in concrete in Kilmore Quay.
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Postby keeper » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Thank you one and all, great info, JD really brought memories of the "Ghost Ship", had forgotten all about it ! Am I to take it that the actual ships were built identically to the same plans or were there differences that only people in the know would recognise ? Their after service history is very interesting, is there a record of same in book form anywhere ?
keeper

Postby jwdalk » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:31 pm

keeper wrote:Thank you one and all, great info, JD really brought memories of the "Ghost Ship", had forgotten all about it ! Am I to take it that the actual ships were built identically to the same plans or were there differences that only people in the know would recognise ? Their after service history is very interesting, is there a record of same in book form anywhere ?

There's a good bit of info here

http://www.commissionersofirishlights.com

They weren't all the same as they were built across a number of years. I think that the Albatross was the last iron one built, the rest were steel. One of the most distinctive differences was in the light tower. The older ones had a solid tower supporting the light, the later ones had a lattice framework. Actually, I remember that there was a ladder inside the tower from the generator room to the lamp in the Albatross.

Here's a photo of Gannet under tow after it was repaced in 2009. Looks very like the one beside the pier!

jwdalk
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to THE FERRY