Sealink-Holyhead.com

The Port's Ferries Past and Present

Postby grammer » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:43 am

ok retracted--- St. Columba -

[quote]St Columba wrote:
Looks as if I might snatch 48 hours in D/L first week of September, during a visit to Dubai and France.
point taken--

Hmmm, the resounding response to this tells me not to try meeting with any of you!
I think possibly I (mise -me ) misread your above sentence
while I see your point -I see meetings made well in advance can end up being a mess -through no ones fault -including the person who tries to set it up
My opinion only

I wish you well -enjoy yor trips and Im hopeful of meeting you on the night that is arranged
cheers
grammer

Postby St Columba » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:54 am

Its all starting to feel a little stressful mate, so I think I'll leave it and just enjoy seeing the place again. I've just confirmed I'll be arriving in from Holyhead on Sep 8 and leaving for Isle of Man on Sep 10. Here's hoping I'll find one of those Indian summers I remember from "Back to School" days!
St Columba

Postby Strum » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:26 pm

St Columba wrote:
Looks as if I might snatch 48 hours in D/L first week of september, during a visit to Dubai and France.

Like Spud, I never noticed that bit. I'll PM you with my Mobile No Justin, maybe meet for a coffee whatever! :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby St Columba » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:16 pm

Thanks Strum, coffee sounds great - you'll have to pick the best in D/L, my wife tells me I'm a "coffee snob"!
St Columba

Postby Strum » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:37 pm

I must say I'm fussy about Coffee too Justin, maybe the Royal Marine, or, or, ah leave it with me and I'm sure I can find somewhere suitable.
Can anybody recommend anywhere for fussy coffee drinkers in D/L? :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Opal » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:21 pm

Strum wrote:
St Columba wrote:
Looks as if I might snatch 48 hours in D/L first week of september, during a visit to Dubai and France.

Like Spud, I never noticed that bit. I'll PM you with my Mobile No Justin, maybe meet for a coffee whatever! :cool:

Justin hun, I never saw that bit too (As a moderator on this site I'm supposed to view all posts, just incase people swear or blaspheme or whatever Shhhh don't tell Strum I don't view them all or I may be de-moderated or whatever they do to slacker Mods in Forum World ;) )

If I'm around I'd love to meet, maybe for coffee in a snobby coffee shop with Strum too, if they exist in DL :mrgreen:

Will PM you my mobile number :mrgreen:
Opal

Postby Strum » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:55 pm

Opal wrote:...maybe for coffee in a snobby coffee shop with Strum too, if they exist in DL :mrgreen:

What Snobs or Coffee Shops? :mrgreen:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Opal » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:03 pm

Strum wrote:
Opal wrote:...maybe for coffee in a snobby coffee shop with Strum too, if they exist in DL :mrgreen:

What Snobs or Coffee Shops? :mrgreen:

With the house prices in DL at the mo I there are more snobs than coffee shops, maybe we should all meet up and knock on a snobs door and ask for a coffee :mrgreen: Would give Justin a memorable trip when we all get arrested :mrgreen:
Opal

Postby Strum » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:10 pm

Nah there's no Snobs in D/L. Anybody will tell you that! Especially the snobby ones who would have you arrested for knocking on their door begging for Coffee. :mrgreen:
I'm sure Café Mao would be the one. Good reputation all round.
Facing the seafront too...Justin would like that I'm sure! :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby St Columba » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:02 pm

I think I'm having dinner there one night. After my isle of man visit I'll actually be returning to dun l for two more nights, but with my boss and working - staying in royal marine. But yes, will have that coffee before leaving for isle of man, during day if poss. Will be staying at Granitefield. Will call u from London.
St Columba

Postby Strum » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:25 pm

Wow, sounds like some all-round trip you're on...phew, work or no work your "holiday" sounds like a dream to me!
Staying at the new Royal Marine no less...well exqueeze me!
I have a spare room here but no room service I'm afraid,
so I'm pretty sure you'ld be much more comfortable there mate! haha! :cool: :D :D :D

I love the Door Handle...you'll be using this soon! :cool:

Strum
Administrator

Postby Snowhite » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:23 am

St Columba wrote:
St Columba wrote: Looks as if I might snatch 48 hours in D/L first week of September, during a visit to Dubai and France.

Hmmm, the resounding response to this tells me not to try meeting with any of you!

:down:

Sorry I missed your post Justin, I hope to be packing my own suitcase on the 8th Sept and flying out to Greece on the 9th, but if I've got it sorted early.... I'd love to tag along with anyone else that's meeting up with you for a coffee. ;-)
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby spudseamus » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:26 am

St Columba wrote:I think I'm having dinner there one night. After my isle of man visit I'll actually be returning to dun l for two more nights, but with my boss and working - staying in royal marine. But yes, will have that coffee before leaving for isle of man, during day if poss. Will be staying at Granitefield. Will call u from London.

Ahh its a hard life St.Clomba but some one has to do it eh!! all this and money too !! sheechhhhh! :D
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby St Columba » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:29 am

Believe me, the novelty has worn off! Business Class or not, still have the same queuing and same security!

Also, stay in so many hotels I prefer to stay with friends, so my night in Holyhead and my two pre-Isle of Man nights in DL will be particularly welcome! The only reason Im staying in Royal Marine after Isle of Man is due to boss joining me at that stage - can't abandon him!!

Strum wrote:Wow, sounds like some all-round trip you're on...phew, work or no work your "holiday" sounds like a dream to me!
Staying at the new Royal Marine no less...well exqueeze me!
I have a spare room here but no room service I'm afraid,
so I'm pretty sure you'ld be much more comfortable there mate! haha! :cool: :D :D :D

I love the Door Handle...you'll be using this soon! :cool:
St Columba

Postby St Columba » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:42 am

No worries Snowy, I can see that will be very tight for you,but will keep u posted.
Snowhite wrote:Sorry I missed your post Justin, I hope to be packing my own suitcase on the 8th Sept and flying out to Greece on the 9th, but if I've got it sorted early.... I'd love to tag along with anyone else that's meeting up with you for a coffee. ;-)
St Columba

Postby Snowhite » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:47 am

Great Stuff, maybe you can Autograph my book for me ;-) could be worth a fortune in years to come. ;-) Looking forward to meeting up if everything works out this end. :D
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Annalivia » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:44 am

I think I was 7 or 8 when I made my first trip to England with my mother and father to visit my auntie in London. I never really knew that I was going on a big boat - I knew was going to England.

the ship was the Princess Maud - a journey from hell. It rocked and rolled all over the place - no stabilisers - and I remember a woman with a bag of oranges and they got loose and rolled all over the place and people were very sick all over the floor. I hated that journey - us Irish had to put up with awful conditions - we were a 'captive' audience.

I endured many more bad trips home to Ireland and back to the UK
Annalivia

Postby Strum » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:34 pm

I never had a bad experience D/L to holyhead BUT the worst EVER was a trip over to the Isle on Man. That was just something else. :shock: At one stage I remember thinking this ship is just going to tip sideways and capsize. That was how far it was going from side to side. Anything on the Ship that wasn't nailed down just went everywhere...a horrible experience!

Nice new photo on your main page today Justin! :cool:
The link on this website will now redirect to a new page rather than taking members out of here altogether. :D
Strum
Administrator

Sealink Holyhead

Postby Chiropodist » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:40 pm

There was a time when there was a large dish filled with sulphur placed near the entrance to the Carlisle Pier so the farmers returning from England could walk about in it, to remove any virus or other, to prevent foot and mouth diseases etc.
Chiropodist

Sealink Holyhead.com

Postby Chiropodist » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:45 pm

I travelled once on the Princess Maud from Holyhead and I can only say that this ship was a load of rubbish. It was probably put in to service to replace the ill fated Scotia. Things got much better when they introduced the Columba. This one had everything.
Chiropodist

Postby Annalivia » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:47 am

Maybe I am on the wrong thread. But in the 50's my da, ma, sister and auntie first went to London to visit my auntie - the year of the coronation, after it had taken place.

We traveled on the Princess Maud, a ship with no stabilizers. There were cattle in the hold and it was not a good voyage, everyone was physically sick and I can still see the oranges a woman had with her rolling from side to side as we sat/lay on the floor.

Holyhead - a shed. Running to catch the train to London with the cases.

Unhelpful staff - it went on for years and years. even when we were taking our kids to visit their grandparents.

In the latter years when we traveled via Dun Laoghaire, the staff there had the same attitude - we were pheasants.

Myself and himself got married in 1968 and flew to the UK via Aer Lingus and we were treated like human beings. We did the Holyhead Dun Laoghaire trip to visit our parents for many years and it never got any better - the car ferry - awful

Sorry I an a Dub with a rant. Dun Laoghaire is a lovely place but for me, and my family it meant we were treated like second class citizens following a long trip back to the motherland. Questioned at every turn etc cases opened and underwater searched, in my native land.

I was unlucky enough to see a fella in a chef's hat cut a rope with a machete on one trip - it is NOT the fault of Dun Laoghrie, people - just a few experiences. And after the Christmas in Ireland with the family when my da bought one of the small sons a plastic gun, we had to justify it in Dun Laoghaire.

I worked for a man from Dun Laoghaire and he was a gent.

Maybe some day I will visit Dun Laoghaire and get a sense of the place.
Annalivia

Sealink Holyhead.com

Postby Chiropodist » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:25 pm

Is that a picture of the Columba I see. It looks as if she is reversing before sailing off to Holyhead. A great ship and I have enjoyed many a crossing on her.
Chiropodist

Holyhead.com

Postby Chiropodist » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:31 pm

Anna, was that the ship that was rolling about or was it the old biddy herself ! I have travelled on that tub a couple of times and you are right, it was a cesspit.
Chiropodist

Re: Sealink-Holyhead.com

Postby Chiropodist » Wed May 26, 2010 3:13 pm

I have taken a few pleasant trips on the Columbia but the big one Ulysses is a treat to sail on. You can hardly tell if the ship is moving and it is so spacious too. About 13 decks high it is a seagoing wonder.
Chiro
Chiropodist

Re: Sealink-Holyhead.com

Postby cambria49 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:57 am

I wonder if any of the regular travellers on the Holyhead ships back in the 60's would recognise any crew faces: http://www.sealink-holyhead.com/crews/railway/catering/home.html
cambria49
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to THE FERRY