yeh agree --Land Grabbers in cahoots with them thar Harbour Company
big suits :roll: :roll: :roll:
grammer

Postby Strum » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:46 pm

SOURCE: The book of Dún Laoghaire.

Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:01 pm

That's a terrific photo Strum. Interesting the size of the Yacht Clubs and how much bigger they are today. The boathouse where the Cooper brothers had their rowing boats for hire.The Jetty where lots of medium sized boats came in and where as a kid I would dive off and swim over to the Depot with all the rest of the lads. Brings back great memories. :D :D
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby grammer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:05 pm

that is one brilliant photo Strum =congrats --
wow the way the harbour and town has changed :-|
grammer

Postby jordo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:26 pm

Jeez, what memories. The little jetty on the left is one of two that I used to fish off with me da. They pulled them down and built the first car ferry dock there.
I know it has been said before but the harbour has been destroyed by 'modernisation'
Anyone else remember the Carlisle Pier as it is shown there? I am sure the two story structure that they removed recently was only built in my time! Whacha think guys.
jordo

Postby grammer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:50 am

well it depends when your time is/was jordo :D
grammer

Postby farmboy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:56 pm

Smashing photo that Strum. The land for miles around looks so unspoilt with plenty of wooded areas, not like today. :???:
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Denis Cromie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:14 am

Yehh Farmboy they built the bleedin Noggin. :mrgreen:
Denis Cromie

Postby grammer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:53 am

whaaaaaa????????
that is hurtful -well'specially for all those who came up from dun laoghaire
to settle among us in the 1950s :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
grammer

Postby Snowhite » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:59 pm

Brilliant Pic Strum :cool:
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Strum » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:17 pm

From this book. :cool:

Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Wheeeeeeeeee! Looks like a fun Launch Pad! :D

Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:46 pm

It looks like a great opportunity for a window cleaner.Do ya think the contract will go to a local lad. :roll:
Denis Cromie

Postby Sinead » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:32 pm

When the Mail Boats used the Carlisle Pier they would always dock on one side and let people disembark. Before sailing out again it would move to the other side of the pier so that it was ready for the new passengers and facing the right way to leave the Harbour. The Pier Master, Mr. Callinan, lived in Mulgrave Street, No 12 (the house went with the job) and he used to take me on board during these manouvers. Wasn't I a lucky kid!

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby jordo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:58 pm

Sinead wrote:.............. and he used to take me on board during these manouvers. Wasn't I a lucky kid!

Slan
Sinead

Weren't you just, what a great memory to have.
jordo

Postby grammer » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:01 am

yeh some people have all the luck :D :D :D
grammer

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:10 am

The Father-in-Law Mr. Doyle (Sammy) had the Left Luggage shop at the entrance to the Carlisle Pier and he sold the papers to the lads on the Boat. He use to say that he was never short of food during the 40's and 50's when rationing was in place. Also when the occasional Cruise Ship was visiting they would dock outside the harbour and he would be taken out to supply the papers and magazines. He took great pride in this and really enjoyed the experience not to mention the good few bob he made.
Denis Cromie

Postby Strum » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:03 pm

Good memories there folks. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:51 pm

Denis:

I remember that shop. My father was friendly with some of the crew members and as a kid I can remember seeing one of the cooks, John Owens, a big man, being wrapped in net curtaining. It was not available in England or Wales at the time. Another thing I saw was a lb of Monument Creameries butter, cut in half, center scooped out with an apple corer and a couple of watches wrapped in greaseproof paper put into the hole and the butter repatted and wrapped..... The things they smuggled.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:19 pm

There were a lot of items here then that were much cheaper here than they were in England and I'm sure it was part of the attraction for a lot of the English who came here.They were a good sort and enjoyed themselves and were hugely important to the Dun Laoghaire economy.I never really realised though, until now, why so much Monument Creamery butter was sold. :roll:
Denis Cromie

Re: carlisle pier

Postby cambria49 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:13 pm

Evening all,

I remember Sammy Doyle very well and was saddened that towards the end of his tenure on the pier his sight failed - but it never stopped him opening up.

Why I'm posting - I'm actually surprised by all the fuss about "knocking down the pier". The pier of course remains. What has been taken away is the eyesore asbestos clad terminal that was erected during the 1950's as a "temporary structure". In relation to the railway shed, well the original steelwork in the roof was actually replaced during the early 1990's and replaced by the canopy that has now been taken down. The original was in a terrible state, with netting underneath to prevent broken glass hitting passengers walking below.

What has been preserved is the original iron stanchions, or poles, that supported the canopy. I understand the Harbour Company has every intention of reusing these when the pier is developed. I for one applaud the Harbour Company for their level of historic sensitivity around the harbour. In recent times they have restored the bandstand and shelter, the Victoria fountain and the entrance to the East Pier.

It seems unfair, I think, that they are not congratulated on these achievements and are instead lashed for removing a hideous eyesore.
Last edited by cambria49 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cambria49
Advanced Member

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:53 pm

Cambria.

Great to hear you again. Is Mrs Cambria still upholding the law in Tasmania ? Best regards and upon reflection I think you are right, Hopefully Dun Laoghaire Harbour Co. Will not renage....
I am just thinking here, in days GHone Alan-R's granda was a Harbour Constable.....a Gentle man too.

Hope you are all well, I still check out "Holyhead" site .

Recently I was persented with a model of D 622 in 'oo' scale Check it out on Garaiste site under "Models and Sims"....Hope you like CAMBRIA.
Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby cambria49 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:08 am

Hi Enviro,

She is indeed - on duty now as it happens.

I've had a look under Models and Sims but there are a lot of topics there - which one is it in?
cambria49
Advanced Member

Postby cambria49 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:12 am

Found it!
cambria49
Advanced Member

Postby grammer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:46 am

Hi cambria 49 welcome back
hope all is well with you and your family

-----=====================================================

I for one applaud the Harbour Company for their level of historic sensitivity around the harbour. In recent times they have restored the bandstand and shelter, the Victoria fountain and the entrance to the East Pier.

I agree with you in most of what you have said
the whole of the East Pier is classy -the bandstand and the shelter look really amazing -
but the Carlile -in my opinion it was let rot and fall away into an eyesore -so that anything had to be better than the dangerous shell that was there -
some of the designs put forward for redevelopment look as tho' they were dreamed up by first year students - :D :D
are the harbour company missing out on a golden opertunity (?) to refit the Carlile Pier as a kind of Ellis Island monument in reverse--
somehow I dont think that a glass multistory cafe and car park is a monument to the millions(?) over the years who have passed both ways thru' the Pier -It would be a shame if all that remained was a little granite ingraved stone with a bronze engraving of the Carlile
but we are deep in the throes of a recession and what better time than now to sweep away the historical importance that the Pier played in so many (not only D/L) peoples lives throughout the last 100+years

but
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

PreviousNext

Return to THE FERRY