RMS Leinster

The Port's Ferries Past and Present

Re: RMS Leinster

Postby Sinead » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:20 pm

Delighted to hear the Quiz Night was a success, would like to have been there.

Rocker did you get a tour of The Club?

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:22 pm

Sinead wrote:Delighted to hear the Quiz Night was a success, would like to have been there.

Rocker did you get a tour of The Club?

Sinéad

No tour last night Sinéad, it was choc a bloc with people. Great turn out. Will get tour again.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:59 pm

I enjoyed that folks, lot of faces I haven't seen for a while and had a great chat with your friend from Mulgrave Sinead. Fun night for a great cause. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby Snowhite » Tue May 02, 2017 12:49 am

Sorry I missed that, a friend is on the committee and she never mentioned it ????????? Not that I'd be much help anyway. :lol:
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Rocker » Mon May 15, 2017 12:19 am

I spent a little time tonight going over the names of those British service personnel who died on the Leinster (http://irishmedals.org/r-m-s-leinster.html). I was really struck with the inclusion of Australian, Canadian and New Zealand citizens and was wondering why they were in Ireland. History Ireland has a little explanation on their site,

Meanwhile Ireland had become used to the sight of military uniforms from many countries. British troops were stationed throughout the country. The Royal Navy increased its presence on Ireland’s south coast, and in particular at Cobh, Co. Cork (then Queenstown). The Royal Air Force operated a number of aerodromes in various parts of the country. The entry of the US into the war saw a build-up of American ships at Bantry Bay and Queenstown. The US Naval Aviation Service operated five bases in Ireland. Military personnel from Australia, New Zealand and Canada visited the country on leave from the battlefields of France and Belgium.
On 10 October 1918 the RMS Leinster left Kingstown before 9am. On board were ship’s crew, postal sorters and passengers. While there were many civilian passengers on board, the majority were military personnel. Many were going on or returning from leave. There were soldiers, sailors, airmen and nurses. They came from Ireland, Britain, the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Mon May 15, 2017 6:07 pm

I'm learning something every day about the Leinster great info on this irishwrecks site.

http://www.irishwrecksonline.net/detail ... ter555.htm

This might be the Desmond Brannigan referred to in the ownership?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/ ... -1.2822301
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Mon May 15, 2017 6:26 pm

report from the Irish Times in 2003 for the 85th commemoration.

" When the bodies started to come ashore at Dún Laoghaire harbour - then a naval base - Ireland was shocked by the scale of the disaster. Eight days later, in a twist of wartime fate, U-123 struck a mine in the North Sea, killing most of the crew.
Today the Leinster's almost intact wreck lies on a sandy seabed 12 miles from shore, in about 100 feet of water, more or less beneath the path of the Stena HSS, the high-speed car ferry. Divers say the 2,646-ton hulk is best visited an hour before high or low tide, in slack water, for the clearest views.
Most passengers that day were soldiers, sailors, airmen and nurses returning to duty. They came from the UK - including Ireland at the time - the US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia. Of the 489 military on board, 326 were killed. Most died in their bunks.
Although occasionally remembered at maritime events, the sinking has failed to receive its due recognition. That there was no official commemoration of the 25th, 50th or 75th anniversary, in a period that spans Home Rule and the War of Independence, speaks for itself, says Breasal Ó Caollai of Friends of the Leinster, the voluntary organisers of today's event.
Only very recently, in 1995, did the owner of the Leinster's remains, Desmond Brannigan, and local divers rectify the lapse of memory when they raised one of the Leinster's anchors - now on Carlisle Pier in Dún Laoghaire in tribute to the Leinster's captain, William Birch, and the 500 others who died.
Philip Lecane, a historian who has written about the sinking, suggests the victims have been forgotten for so long partly because news of the disaster was censored. "It is because very little was known about them in the first place," he says. "And it's very hard to remember 501 faceless people."
For Lecane and colleagues such as William Byrne - great-grandson of the ship's chief stoker, John Donohoe, who survived the sinking - one of the most poignant aspect of today's commemoration is that an eight-and-a-half-decade wait for the State to become fully involved in commemorating the Leinster has finally ended.
Four jets from RAF Valley, near Holyhead, will fly past the site of the sinking at 9.50 a.m. today, marking the moment the first torpedo struck, and wreaths will be laid by LE Aoife and the Dún Laoghaire lifeboat. Then will come an inter-Church ceremony, at St Michael's in Dún Laoghaire at 11.45 a.m.
The day's organisers have asked for two minutes' silence at noon in the south Co Dublin town and in Holyhead, as well as aboard the Stena HSS, as a mark of respect to the crews and passengers of the Leinster and U-123. Among those attending will be representatives of the Allied forces, the German ambassador and postal workers from Belfast, Holyhead and Dún Laoghaire.
Later today a plaque will be unveiled at the town's post office to remember the 21 postal sorters who died - a tribute, along with the day's other events, that should ensure the memory of the 501 lost are no longer written out of our history."

I was sad to hear yesterday that the plaque at the Post Office has been vandalised ...even though it is indoors....have we NO SHAME anymore ??
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Mon May 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Rocker wrote: I was sad to hear yesterday that the plaque at the Post Office has been vandalised ...even though it is indoors....have we NO SHAME anymore ??

In Dun Laoghaire Rocker? :o
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Mon May 15, 2017 11:16 pm

Yes, the Post Office on Georges Street. Seemingly someone cut a slash in it from side to side. I didn't see it but several people said it was true. Those poor postal workers were lads from Dún Laoghaire sorting the mail as the ship would sail to Holyhead.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sun May 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Found this great Youtube video about the sinking of the Leinster. Some good underwater footage of the wreck of the Leinster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC_NdrWRfQM
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Sun May 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Rocker wrote:Found this great Youtube video about the sinking of the Leinster. Some good underwater footage of the wreck of the Leinster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC_NdrWRfQM

Great find Rocker. Thanks for posting.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun May 21, 2017 8:51 pm

Enjoyed that Rocker,thanks.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby keeper » Tue May 23, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks for posting that Rocker ! Enjoyed it, very interesting.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Wed May 24, 2017 5:53 pm

keeper wrote:Thanks for posting that Rocker ! Enjoyed it, very interesting.

I am only starting to research the event myself. It was always talked about in my childhood because we regarded my Uncle Billy's father as a bit of a hero (he saved a lady and her daughter). We never knew the full extent of the deaths. Everyone in the town must have been affected on way or another.

I'd say every family also has great stories about the sinking and the Committee looking after the 2018 commemorations are anxious to compile the stories.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Previous

Return to THE FERRY