Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:46 pm

Great reading there Rocker. :D
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Re: RMS Leinster

Postby Snowhite » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:13 pm

95 years ago today ...............

http://www.rmsleinster.com/sinking/sinking.htm
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby grammer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:01 pm

The link wont work for me Snowy.
I will try it later.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:01 pm

William asked me to post that event, his grandfather was a survivor. Not really an event though, just a reminder. Thanks Snowy. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:59 pm

Got it the link is working now.
thanks Snowy.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:04 am

From Will...

95 Years ago Today, on 10th October 1918, 1 day and 1 month exactly to the end of the First World War, my Great- Grand-Father, John Donohoe went to work as usual on the RMS LEINSTER Ship, he was the Chief Stoker.
The Leinster left Dún Laoghaire Harbour (then Kingstown) for the last time that morning and was torpedoed in sight of land just pass the Kish Lighthouse by German Submarine UB-123 under the Command of Robert Ramm. The Leinster was sunk rapidly resulting in the loss of at least 501 Lives, making it the Worst Ever Maritime Disaster in the Irish Sea. John Donohoe gave his life-jacket to 16 year old Cabin boy, Thomas Connolly.
Although he could not swim, John held on to floating debris in the water for more than 2 hours and was rescued, Tom Connolly also survived and went on to become a Successful Businessman, opening Dún Laoghaire`s first modern-style supermarket on Patrick St. where he kept the scale model of the Leinster (now in the National Maritime Museum)
Tom never forgot the fact that John Donohoe was instrumental in saving his life.
UB-123 then sunk the ss. Dundalk and was later destroyed with all crew lost in the North Sea near Scappa Flo, Scotland just days after sinking the Leinster.
The Dublin City Steampacket Company was liquidated, its office was on Eden Quay where to this day you can still see the Co. crest on the building. The Leinster was one of the fastest ferries in the World at the time.
The British King and American President, Woodrow Wilson condemned the sinking of the Leinster, however much of the subsequent findings of investigation were censored.
I organised as part of a wider Committee the 80th, 85th and 90th Commemorative Events for the Leinster and campaigned to raise awareness of this important Irish historical event.
I have also helped Historians and authors in their research. I also traced and met many relatives of Leinster victims. In 2008 An Post launched a Leinster stamp.
Today I laid a floral tribute on the memorial anchor at Dun Laoghaire`s Seafront, which I do every year, a bunch of red roses, I may even one day write my own book about the Leinster based on the extensive research I did into the tragedy and its circumstances. 95 years on.. let us Remember the RMS LEINSTER. Go Raibh maith agaibh, W.

Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:43 pm

What a lovely tribute from Will. It is people like you who keep history alive for all of us. Thank you for making me remember. As a sea faring town it is important that we remember.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby jaytee » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:11 am

I agree. Its lovely to hear the story that story from a relative.
jaytee

Postby Nasfeld » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi I am a nephew of Billiy Maher and knew your Aunt Lilly Jordan I stayed with them in London a few times he used to tell us of being torpedoed in the Pacific during WW2 and was at their sons funeral,my mother was Billys sister, Lily they had 2 brothers and 2 sisters Anne, Tom was killed in Salerno Italy in WW2, i went to see his grave a few years ago, and Paddy who was a wild guy. died in London about 30 years ago.My Mother got all her fathers war medals including the Albert Medal and a watch engraved from Mrs Topping from England whose life he saved on the Leinster,her family at the time owned Aintree Racecourse.The medals and watch my eldest brother has. Thought it might be of interest too you
Nasfeld

Postby Nasfeld » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi Re Article RMS Leinster,i am a nephew of Billy Maher and grandson of William Maher stoker on the Leinster, my mother got all her fathers war medals and original letter and engraved watch from Mrs Topping thanking him for saving her life,Mrs Toppings family at the time owned Aintree Racecourse.My mother passed the medals and letter on to my brother who still has them.Lily Maher my mother was Billys sister I remember your aunt Lily and visited her and Billy in Putney a few times,were he would tell us of being torpeoded 3 times in the Pacific,and that he hated the Japanese, also attended Jimmys funeral in London.Billy had 2 other brothers Tom who was killed in Salerno in WW2 served in the Hampshire Regiment i visited his grave a few years ago,and Paddy who was found dead in a flat in London about 28 years ago,he also had a sister Anne who married a painter fron London called Bob,billy and him were great friends and did painting jobs together.All the Mahers are dead now my mother married Dennis O Donovan from Cork and had 8 children i being the youngest..

Thought this might be of interest too you .
Nasfeld

Postby Rocker » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:42 am

Nasfeld,

Great to hear from you. Billy was a true blue Dun Laoghaire man.Just the other day I had a great chat about him in D/L with a fellow whose Dad stayed with them in those tough days in the 60's . The number of lads he put up in the flat and got jobs in London...nothing was too much trouble for him if you were from DunLaoghaire.

Another member on this site Jay has written a book about Deansgrange Cemetery and he has a very nice piece about your Grandfather William and a good photo of him in the book.Your post has brough back memories of all the Mahers.
Will send you a PM.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:48 pm

Welcome Nasfeld.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Derrindaffderg » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:43 pm

My partner only found out at Christmas that her Great Grandfather John Loughlin was a crew member who lost his life on the Leinster that fateful day. The past two months have been a voyage of discovery (no pun intended) for us both as I have helped her research him.

Like my good friend Jay I too am a "Graveyard entusiast". For Christmas my partner paid for a trip to London in March for us both so I could visit Highgate Cemetery and see the famous burial place of Karl Marx.

At the time we knew nothing of John Loughlin. As it transpires he is named on the Tower Hill Memorial in London. (His body was never recovered). We now, of course have added a visit to Tower Hill to our itinerary. My partner has been to London many times and passed by that memorial never knowing her Great Grandfather was named on it.

We have traced him on the 1901 & 1911 Census and are both currently reading Philip Lecane's book in which he is mentioned on page 132.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... t/1318764/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... urt/96251/

If anyone has any snippets please feel free to comment. We are currently trying to locate a photo of him. I have come across this photo on the Leinster website http://www.rmsleinster.com and am sure he is probably in it. The accompanying text does not date the photo beyond saying it is a "A pre-war photo of Leinster's crew."

Derrindaffderg

Postby Rocker » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:22 pm

That is a great story.I am sure someone from Dún Laoghaire will be able to add a bit. I know how you feel about your "voyage". When I was trying to find out details of William Maher I was so excited at each snippet found.

Some people have done great research and I have copied this from R.M.S Leinster Alphabetical list...

Official lists prepared at the time record that 501 persons died when the Leinster sank, but more recent research suggests that the figure is over 546. Contemporary newspaper and shipping company reports indicate that 256 individuals were rescued, not all of whom survived.
Not all of the bodies were recovered immediately, and due to the currents in the Irish Sea some came ashore in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, the Isle of Man, England and Wales.

It is now thought likely that there were at least 546 casualties
37 crew.
139 civilians.
349 military personnel.
21 postal workers.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=99298118

That wonderful Irish Medals site
http://irishmedals.org/r-m-s-leinster.html
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:00 pm

Very interesting story DD, thanks Rocker for those links.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:59 am

I'd forgotten we had this topic on the Leinster. I will copy the recent links to it if I can.

South Dublin Libraries did an WW1 exhibition and had the medal, watch and citation of William Maher, stoker on the Leinster on display in the library. Here is a link http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/h ... 0599/11063

Link from the Irish Independent looking for relatives of those on the R.M.S Leinster for the centenary rememberence next year. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/se ... 09347.html

and from Coastmonkey http://coastmonkey.ie/descendants-passe ... ary-event/
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:41 pm

GENERAL KNOWLEDGE

T A B L E
Q U I Z

in the Dún Laoghaire Club, 3 Eblana Avenue.
on THURSDAY 20th APRIL commencing 8.00p.m

Teams of 4 = €40.
All welcome.

ALTHOUGH it is not essential, you may book your table in advance by email; costellojewellers@eircom.net
or phone 085-7615663
Tables reserved UNTIL FIVE (5) minutes before commencement.
Teams will be formed on the night.

Organised to benefit the Centenary events for the
MAIL BOAT LEINSTER disaster.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:24 pm

I met Will today Rocker and he asked me to thank you for the links and info. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks Strum,

The Quiz sounds fun. I'm useless at them but will give it a go.
Great cause, I'd say so many people here and abroad will have an interest in the commemorations. It is getting the word out that is difficult.

I wonder will there be any tie in with Deansgrange cemetery and Grangegorman cemetery where so many casulties were buried??
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Strum wrote:GENERAL KNOWLEDGE

T A B L E
Q U I Z

in the Dún Laoghaire Club, 3 Eblana Avenue.
on THURSDAY 20th APRIL commencing 8.00p.m

Teams of 4 = €40.
All welcome.

ALTHOUGH it is not essential, you may book your table in advance by email; costellojewellers@eircom.net
or phone 085-7615663
Tables reserved UNTIL FIVE (5) minutes before commencement.
Teams will be formed on the night.

Organised to benefit the Centenary events for the
MAIL BOAT LEINSTER disaster.

Anybody up for this tomorrow night? We need one more for our Team. Rocker? Jem? Meeting in Witherspoons at 7pm for a lemonade first? :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:28 pm

Looking forward to the Quiz. I was thinking of a curry in Wetherspoons beforehand!!. I'm useless at quizzes but am interested in seeing the Eblana was never there.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:35 pm

Rocker wrote:Looking forward to the Quiz. I was thinking of a curry in Wetherspoons beforehand!!. I'm useless at quizzes but am interested in seeing the Eblana was never there.

So you're in Rocker? It's for a laugh and a good cause, and everybody knows bits of trivia that others don't anyway so every little helps. ;)
Will might be there and I'm sure he'd give you a tour of the place. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Jemser » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:11 pm

See you at the quiz tomorrow night.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Micheál » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:36 am

Jemser wrote:See you at the quiz tomorrow night.

Watch out guys! Look at Jemser's Avatar (or his byeline) :D

Sorry I can't make it.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:33 am

Quiz night was very good and very well supported. It was nice to see some old Dún Laoghaire faces and chat to some whom we hadn't seen for years.William Byrne singing his Leinster song at the end unaccompanied was so powerful and poignant. Again well done to him for pushing the commemoration. It is a lifetimes work to get some projects moving.

We have had this link before but, here it is again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=4&v=u7182MkaCSY
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

PreviousNext

Return to THE FERRY