Dublin Kingstown Railway 1834

Dublin Kingstown Railway 1834

Postby Gulliver » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:59 pm

The first train ran on 9 October 1834. The engine was Hibernia.
https://imageshack.com/a/img20/5246/lb5v.jpg

It set out from Westland Row. The Westland Row section of line had 4 sets of tracks - two for passenger trains, two for goods

After Grand Canal Docks it only had passenger lines. The lines were elevated above street level

The first train had eight carriages. This picture shows examples of each type after it dropped to ground level and headed into the countryside

At Blackrock, the railway company replaced the swimming baths with new ones on the seaward side of the railway

Lord Cloncurry was one of the major landlords in the area. The railway company made special arrangements for him on the section between Blackrock and Seapoint

And on through to Seapoint

Monkstown was open country with farmland and livestock

This view of the hill is a bit exaggerated

This view of Kingstown does not represent the terminus of the railway - at that time it just went to Old Dunleary, and stopped close behind the West Pier filling station

All pictures from "Thirteen Views of the Dublin and Kingstown Railway" Hardy (1834)
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Re: Dublin Kingstown Railway 1834

Postby Micheál » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Gulliver

A terrific find - thanks for posting.

One thing about that view from blackrock towards Kingstown. The 10 th one.
That building on the left is remarkable. Used it be a turkish baths or somesuch?

And it there any reason why so much of the seemingly solidly built Cloncurry landscape and buildings did not survive?

M
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Gulliver » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:07 pm

Micheál wrote:Gulliver

A terrific find - thanks for posting.

One thing about that view from blackrock towards Kingstown. The 10 th one.
That building on the left is remarkable. Used it be a turkish baths or somesuch?

M

This is the one Micheál is referring to

This is it today! Is it not?
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Micheál » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:35 pm

Thats it Gulliver - but the older one has an Ottoman style to it - and those chimneys too - something deep in my memory tells me it had an exotic history.

I said exotic!!!

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:12 pm

This is interesting - a "now and then" back then

from "Thirteen Views of the Dublin and Kingstown Railway" Hardy (1834)

"Drawn by A. Nichol and engraved by J. Harris" and reproduced as a postcard published by The Exchange Bookshop, Dalkey, 2006.

The boys did well building that wall so quick. Sure they deserve that rest.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Navanman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:33 pm

Micheál
You are jogging something in my memory (ouch!).

I remember walking along the seafront when the tide was out and coming to that "turkish baths???" We had to climb up but I vaguely remember it being exotic and wondering about it. Then again at my age maybe it was all a dream.

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Jemser » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:08 am

Great post Gulliver, I never heard of that Turkish baths that Michael mentioned.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Micheál » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:09 pm

I knew I didnt imagine those Turkish Baths at Seapoint. Thanks to Rocker's latests posts, I uncovered this -

"Seapoint baths, which were and are now the property of a private house, were constructed by 1840, seaward of the railway end of Brighton Vale. They were designed by John Croswaithe.

The baths were probably built by the railway company to compensate for the restricted access to the sea. The ruins of a small summerhouse and a hexagonal teahouse also exist at Vances Harbour. These were most likely built in exchange for Lord Cloncurry allowing the railway to be cut through his property.Seapoint is still a particularly popular spot for bathers, who swim from the base of the Martello Tower. The area behind the West Pier wall is known as 'the gut' and is very popular with windsurfers. There is also a diving club at Dun Laoghaire that uses these waters for training divers
."

Sce: http://www.askaboutireland.ie/learning-zone/primary-students/looking-at-places/dun-laoghaire-rathdown/baths-and-bathing/origins-of-baths-and-bath/seapoint-baths/index.xml

Images below are from Gulliver's earlier post

Image[/quote]
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:10 am

All that discussion about O'Huadhaigh and Brighton Vale led me back to my query about those nearby Turkish Baths. And lo and behold, there, at no 17 Brighton Vale, is Elizabeth Ivers (a masseuse) and her sister Charlotte (Manager of a bathing establishment). A forerunner to rainbow Rapids perhaps?

btw - Charlotte was a 'housekeeper' in 1901.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000229830/

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Thu May 15, 2014 10:27 am

Whenever I am standing on the platform in DunLaoghaire DART station I look at the plaque for Charles Vignoles and knew vaguely that he was involved in the engineering of the first railway. Just today a discussion arose about Mr Vignoles and again I had vaguely thought he was not irish...imagine my surprise when i found out he was and was born in Wexford. Now, he didn't live long in Ireland and had a very sad and interesting childhood but, a hugely illustrious life. This is a long article but packed with great details.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Charles_Vignoles

Interesting little piece on some Vignoles and their connection with Ireland.

http://www.forgottenbooks.org/readbook_ ... 288863/267
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Return to TRANSPORT PAST AND PRESENT