Postby budgie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:58 pm

and two more 8-)

budgie

Re: old CIE trains

Postby grammer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Wow who does'nt like trains
great photos budgie -keep them coming
any background on the engines --the year etc--
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:04 pm

I love them thank you.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Holla » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:12 pm

Great pics budgie they bring me back to when we were kids on our way to glasthule school and we would hear the roar of the engine taking off from the station,CIE was a big employer in the borough and as a kid you would often see one your pals dads in a CIE uniform of some sort
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby budgie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:37 pm

grammer wrote:Wow who does'nt like trains
great photos budgie -keep them coming
any background on the engines --the year etc--

glad you like them grammer/for info on some of the trains go to eiretrains.com
budgie

Postby Enviro500 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:10 am

Really must watch my "GRAMMER" Hic, hic....
Enviro.
Last edited by Enviro500 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:11 am

Budgie,

Thank Heaven there is a transport enthusiast among us, Farmboy and Strum have a psssing interest..I recognise the locos, in Particular the Metrovicks and The GMs...A number her preserved T.G. My pal her in London collects Murphys Models rolling stock right down to the permanent way wagons, and he is a born & Bred Londonner but has been with London Underground for 38 years where he is a senior manager...Having started as an Apprentice..He loves the CIE & I kit..
I have to say I am not up on the steam but I do possess a copy of the Dublin & Southeastern Railway by W. Earnest Shepherd, published in 1974.. An interesting book and I bought in in Greenes Bookshop Dublin in 1977 for 2.14 Punt !!!.
My forte is the CIE bus and I have driven quite a few restored in my time. I brought one to England in 1988-9 and rallied it, a Leyland d/decker R 788 and its is now back in Dublin, it was the star of the film " A Man of no Importance" A Finney, Brenda Fricker, Tara Fitzgerald and Michael Gambon among others...The bus was in Circle of Friends etc....
WELCOME ABOARD...Strym posted lots of pictures her of this bus and also the Harcourt St Rail Station in 1958 with 6xxx class CIE Railcars for Bray, a few months before closure, check them all here..

Enviro.
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:11 am

How is that TRAGIC DRAGON ? .

Enviro.
Last edited by Enviro500 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 am

Sorry i just cant resist
Puff the magic dragon :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
hit the button 3 times
to be sure
to be sure
to be sure
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:59 am

Grammer,

\he just edited out the two posts in front of my eyes. How did he do dat?
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Enviro500 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:10 am

Rocker,

Go to 'Edit' and delete it...Grammer was trying to make intelligent conversation,with me, and Strum had already told me you had to tell Grammer until you were blue in the Face !!!!!
Time, & time & time & time aggggainnnnn......
It gets home eventually..
So don't "Knokx" it Grammer
Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby budgie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:40 am

enviro
if buses is your thing there is a book,"cie buses,1945-1987,a pictorial history by Cyril McIntyre c 2004.very good with loads of photos but maybe you have it already.
budgie

Postby Enviro500 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:24 pm

Budgie,
Cyril Mcintyre and myself are friends over 40 years, If you look some of my pictures are actually used in the excellent book. Cyril retired as PR & Fleet director of BUS EIREANN-CIE after over 44 years service...

Alot of my pictures are on here inc the well konwn one of the 7a RA class outside the ROMAN CAFE in 1963, my first colour photo. My Nan 'bankrolled' the Ilford colour film roll, all of about 7 shillins' then... Ha Ha.

Go to Flickr, and I am there as Don E. Brook in the real Dun Laoghaire & also model buses section and also a lot of albums on my Facebook. I will give you detail if interested via the p.m on here...
Myself and Grammer's brother would sit outside the Nan's in the Noggin as kids and take CIE bus reg no's...our equivilent to Dinky Toys, never likely to get them then...For Xmas our Da's would nail an Urney Choco bar at the end of stairs to the wall and as well came down for our Xmas gruel we ot to lick it and that was our pressie !!!! We would then sit around the Da's, he would suck a Ritchies Mint and blow at us to keep us warm and Cozy................................Honest.. ask Grammer and Strum.

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Rocker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Budgie,

I think you are going the way of all enthusiasts. i would recommend dexion shelving and attic conversion for a start then a good shed. we buy so many books then everyone gives any book they see with a train onit for presents and we cant throw out anything.
Did you ever go into the Irish Railway Record Society its up at Heuston Station in Dublin they have a good library and you dont need to be a member to look at stuff.
They have a website here is a link
http://www.irrs.ie/
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby budgie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:30 pm

rocker
thanks for the link,will check it out.
budgie

Postby budgie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:34 pm

Strum wrote:Great photos Budgie. You can see them now on the page. ;)

thank you
budgie

Re: Old CIE Trains

Postby Rocker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Budgie,Environ,

Was looking upstairs for that book by Cyril McIntyre but we only have an earlier one by P.J Flanagan and Cyril with his Irish name MacantSaoir. Of course starting reading it and what about the 56A in 1938 it says a circular service via Patrick St, Mountown and Sallynoggin trying to imagine how it went.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby farmboy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Great train pics budgie and as grammer says, theres very few lads that dont have some interest in trains. I took a couple of minutes footage of a train journey we took in New Zealand almost a year ago. Now that my internet speed is better I must upload it to utube and post it here if thats ok. It went from a place called Greymouth right across the country to Christchurch and took about 3 hours. Its supposedly rated as the 6th or 7th most scenic train journey in the world after the Orient Express.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby keeper » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi Budgie !! Great postings, have loved trains since I was a nipper, favourite spots were the bridge at the beach end of Military Road in Ballybrack just after Killiney Station, we would race to get there just to get engulfed in steam and smuts !!! still remember the smell, the other spot was at the bottom of the bank at Homan's tearooms, we always hoped the sparks would set the bank on fire and manys the time it did !! Ned Brodrick was the Permanent Way ganger for the section of track, looking back on it now, we must have tortured the poor man with our antics on the tracks !!! Any idea where that photo with the Gantry Signal Box was taken ? (no.4 photo)
keeper

Postby budgie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:03 pm

farmboy wrote:Great train pics budgie and as grammer says, theres very few lads that dont have some interest in trains. I took a couple of minutes footage of a train journey we took in New Zealand almost a year ago. Now that my internet speed is better I must upload it to utube and post it here if thats ok. It went from a place called Greymouth right across the country to Christchurch and took about 3 hours. Its supposedly rated as the 6th or 7th most scenic train journey in the world after the Orient Express.

hi farmboy.i would love to see that footage.i got married in auckland in 2002 and haven't been back since.not a place you can travel to for a weekend break. :)
keeper wrote:Hi Budgie !! Great postings, have loved trains since I was a nipper, favourite spots were the bridge at the beach end of Military Road in Ballybrack just after Killiney Station, we would race to get there just to get engulfed in steam and smuts !!! still remember the smell, the other spot was at the bottom of the bank at Homan's tearooms, we always hoped the sparks would set the bank on fire and manys the time it did !! Ned Brodrick was the Permanent Way ganger for the section of track, looking back on it now, we must have tortured the poor man with our antics on the tracks !!! Any idea where that photo with the Gantry Signal Box was taken ? (no.4 photo)
budgie

Postby budgie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:11 pm

hi keeper
that photo of the overhead gantry is at waterford city (plunkett)station and still stands.unique in ireland.
budgie

Postby keeper » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:20 am

Thanks Budgie ! The reason I asked, I remember going under it on the train but couldn't for the life of me place where it was !!!! Old age I guesss, but on the other hand it was many years ago.My late Dad worked in C.I.E. and every Summer he would be sent to do stores stocktaking to different areas, eg, Waterford, Sligo, Tralee and Dundalk and we would join him for the two weeks wherever he was, our Summer Holiday !!
keeper

Postby Enviro500 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:54 am

budgie wrote:Image

This one Budgie no. 461 the 2-6-0 is an ex Dun Laoghaire worked loco if I am not mistaken...Ex Great Southern Railway Built Inchcore in 1922-5 ? I think as I pictured it at an Inchicore Open day in 1980..More to the point myself and Keeper probablly travelled on it to Bray or Dublin.. Correct me if wrong. Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:55 am

Enviro500 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:10 am

Rocker,

Go to 'Edit' and delete it...Grammer was trying to make intelligent conversation,with me, and Strum had already told me you had to tell Grammer until you were blue in the Face !!!!!
Time, & time & time & time aggggainnnnn......
It gets home eventually..
So don't "Knokx" it Grammer

:D :D :D :D :D :D
grammer
The Spoon

Next

Return to TRANSPORT PAST AND PRESENT