Memorable Bus Journeys, the 58 and other local Busses.

Re: Monkstown Farm

Postby bugrock » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:35 am

So what was the Killiney bus, then?
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Jemser » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:37 pm

Years ago the Killiney bus was a single deck, number 59. I think I recently saw a number 59 double decker bus.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:44 pm

Yep 59. Original route was D/L Station / through Glasthule /up Albert road / Killiney Road / Killiney Village and back.
I haven't been on it in years but it goes all over the place now. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gerald » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:06 pm

Strum wrote:Yep 59. Original route was D/L Station / through Glasthule /up Albert road / Killiney Road / Killiney Village and back.
I haven't been on it in years but it goes all over the place now. ;)

It does go all over the place as well. I got on it once and didn't know where the hell it was going.....it now goes from Mackintosh park to Killiney village, turns back on itself and goes down by Cluny, and then on to Dalkey by a circuitous route, before getting some sense and going on to Dun Laoghaire.
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby jaytee » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:40 pm

Its an outing for pensioners it goes down the same road in killiney twice. It takes about an hour to get from mc intosh park to dun laoghaire via killiney. They extended its route a few yrs ago when they took away the 58. Theres a lot of old people from mcintosh & hillview that used the 58 daily & would've been lost (housebound ) without it .so a fuss was made & thats how the 59 was extended.
jaytee

Re: Memorable Bus Journeys, the 58 and other local Busses.

Postby Micheál » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:31 pm

just a comment on recent discussion (in a different topic) on Bus routes . . .

A few months ago, I trawled the Dublin Bus site for a network map. A basic information requirement. Where do their buses go - displayed on a standard map.

Nothing! (apart from a map of some of their buses presented in a sybolic format with no reference to actual streets.

To discover a route, you have to
make an educated guess what area might be served,
figure out what route might be involved
and then see just that route with little or no information about connected routes or where they might lead.

Not to be defeated, I wrote to their customer care line and asked for one. Not even an acknowledgement & still waiting.

All this despite their big campaign about customer advice at the moment.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Off the top of my head I picked this -from St. Micheal's Hosp. to Portobello Collage

try this for size

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Route-Planne ... anchoice=0
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:30 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's a great sightseeing trip on a nice summers morning --up around by Killiney village turns at the Druid's Chair and back down
cheapest sightseeing tour you'll ever get -up top in the front seats and soak it all in. :lol: :lol: :lol:
no gxxxxites on it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Micheál » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:29 pm

grammer wrote:Off the top of my head I picked this -from St. Micheal's Hosp. to Portobello Collage

try this for size

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Route-Planne ... anchoice=0

I rest my case!
Great if you already know where you want to depart from and go to.
Lousy if you just want to know "whats out there" without yet having decided where you want to go to or even where to start from.
And this includes most tourists to the city!
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:08 am

Well I know what what you mean Micheál :lol:
lets get the bus and go somewhere -yeh wuu
But where dontknow dontknow dontknow dontknow dontknow dontknow dontknow
lets go over to...........??????? dontknow dontknow dontknow dontknow dontknow
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
grammer
The Spoon

Postby busconductor » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:05 am

Toss wrote:
Denis Cromie wrote:Yeah get well soon Enviro,good to hear from you. hellllo

here here ..... or is it hear hear as they say in Louth :oops:

reading this thread reminded me of our old house and what was described as the 'kitchenette' .... this was a 10x6 extension built by my father to a rather unique design. He had a varied career and at one stage worked in CIE Conyngham Road where he repaired / fixed / worked on the buses. Anyway, he built this kitchenette with CIE sponsored materials ;) that included two bus windows complete with opening sashes as well as a variety of bus panels all mixed n matched to fit .... the entire extension was then painted in navy blue CIE paint !! given he never had a car or drove, I can only guess that the windows and panels were actually delivered to the house by bus :roll:

Those were the days .... :lol: :lol:

Toss,
That's an interesting extension your dad built. We built an extension some years ago, but would never have gotten away with building it with old CIE bus panels! I've started writing a book about my memories of the 46A, 58, etc., both as a conductor (1978-83) and as a passenger in my childhood. I'll conclude it with my driving days here in the USA with NJ Transit! You wouldn't perhaps have any photos of your dad's extension, would you? Is it still there? I'd love to put a pic of the extension in the book, with your permission, of course. It would be perfect! How long ago did he build it? Great original story. They were indeed the days!

Regards,
Busconductor
busconductor

Postby Rocker » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:22 am

Micheál wrote:just a comment on recent discussion (in a different topic) on Bus routes . . .

A few months ago, I trawled the Dublin Bus site for a network map. A basic information requirement. Where do their buses go - displayed on a standard map.

Nothing! (apart from a map of some of their buses presented in a sybolic format with no reference to actual streets.

To discover a route, you have to
make an educated guess what area might be served,
figure out what route might be involved
and then see just that route with little or no information about connected routes or where they might lead.

Not to be defeated, I wrote to their customer care line and asked for one. Not even an acknowledgement & still waiting.

All this despite their big campaign about customer advice at the moment.

It is no harm having a campaign about customer advice. It is another thing actually giving it. Our public service planners do not want to know what suits the customer. It is what suits the number of buses, the schedule and the trade unions.....thought everyone knew that. Just thought go into the National Transport Authority site and they have interactive route maps...you can search by operator, route number or area.

M.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:08 pm

"Just thought go into the National Transport Authority site and they have interactive route maps...you can search by operator, route number or area."

Yeah but . . .

You're a visitor just off the ferry in Dun Laoghaire and you'd like to explore Dublin by bus. Route numbers mean nothing, unfamiliar neighbourhoods even less so (e.g. Killiney is everywhere, Navan Road sounds like it is too, but it isnt). You might only be armed with a vague wish list e.g Kilmanham jail, Ashtown Observatory, Howth, Bono's house.
How can you see how they are connected?
What sites are viable bus-wise?
Might two sites be do-able by a single route?
If I go on this route, what else is worth visiting along the way?
A simple map with ALL routes overlaid on a real street plan would tell all.

But CIE don't seem able for the challenge. (Probably too busy with School runs these days)

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:59 pm

Micheál,

Please call them Dublin Bus.......poor old C.I.E is much maligned and is only a small holding company nowadays.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Dancer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Micheál wrote:"Just thought go into the National Transport Authority site and they have interactive route maps...you can search by operator, route number or area."

Yeah but . . .

You're a visitor just off the ferry in Dun Laoghaire and you'd like to explore Dublin by bus. Route numbers mean nothing, unfamiliar neighbourhoods even less so (e.g. Killiney is everywhere, Navan Road sounds like it is too, but it isnt). You might only be armed with a vague wish list e.g Kilmanham jail, Ashtown Observatory, Howth, Bono's house.
What sites are viable bus-wise?
Might two sites be do-able by a single route?
If I go on this route, what else is worth visiting along the way?
A simple map with ALL routes overlaid on a real street plan would tell all.

But CIE don't seem able for the challenge. (Probably too busy with School runs these days)

M.

I'm sure there's an APP for that or are you doing research??? :D
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby grammer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know I'm quoting out of context here
but could'nt resist :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kilmanham jail, Ashtown Observatory, Howth, Bono's house.

Wanna be some bus :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
a shuttle ??????? space shuttle????or spacer's shuttle. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Who'd want to get the ferry to dun Laoghaire and see Dancer and Bonos houses :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Micheál » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:17 pm

An omnibus, perhaps :D
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Have to admit we are going backwards instead of forwards. Years ago there were timetables with a basic map at the end of it to assist.
We go a lot to Vienna and there are fabulous maps (paper) produced by the transport companies...you buy this. On line there is a great map from Wien tourism (Vienna tourism) where you can see exactly what bus/tram/train gets you to any part of the city and all connections....hint hint whoever took over from Dublin tourism.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Previous

Return to TRANSPORT PAST AND PRESENT