Dun Laoghaire Roundabouts

Re: Dun Laoghaire Roundabouts

Postby Strum » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:40 pm

grammer wrote:PS -I dont have a car

Me neither Grammer, but as a mere humble pedestrian with two Dogs, Car drivers pi$$ me off fkn BIGTIME!
Rude bastards everywhere, no manners, no indicators, no brains! :evil:
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:10 pm

Oh dear !! That hurts !!! Guess I'll have to sell the car so as I can return to being a normal human being !!
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Holla » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:29 am

Well here we go again that person with the great ideas is at it again a new even bigger and better roundabout at Dalkey (Barnhill road/Avondale) ,it looks like its going to be the same style as the rockford rounabout ,how long has the Dalkey roundabout been there and worked ok jezz what a kick in the yaris these people need.
Holla

Postby Micheál » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:43 am

This is what's happening -

1. The country is broke
2. The EU has "bailed us out" - i.e. lent us very expensive money
3. Heros at DLRCoCo have discovered there's ('free')EU money available but it must be spent before year end - hence the JCB-fest applying 'solutions' where no problem previously existed.
4. And thats why they are called Roundabouts!

So at least were getting money back from the Germans but dont expect anyone needing a hip replacement or a cerer to cheer.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:01 am

Micheál wrote:2. The EU has "bailed us out" - i.e. lent us very expensive money.

Strum
Administrator

Postby johndle » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:25 am

Women Drivers HUH!!!!

Last edited by johndle on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
johndle
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby grammer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:57 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bet that softened his cough :D :D :D :D :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:25 am

These Roundabouts posts are better laugh than the jokes. Give yourselves a treat and re read them.

No one mentioned the cute little ones at Killiney Castle and up at the Druid's chair. My creaky car just gets me to the top of the hill then I have to engineer a roundabout !! incredible but true!!

There are some gems along the Strand Road at Merrion and I was almost killed the other day driving along at Avondale I think its called going towards the Graduate from Albert Road - the sun was in my eyes and had to swerve to go around a lobsided roundabout! RANT RANT
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Holla » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:08 am

Thats a dangerous spot on the avondale road only about three weeks ago i saw where a lady crashed into the traffic island due to the sun in her eyes
Holla

Postby Rocker » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:45 am

Thats the one Holla, I thought it was just me. I was inches from crashing into the island -for some reason the whole roundabout seems to be off centre and there is a bit of a hill going upwards.!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Rocker,
I was shocked to see the "Biggun" removed at Monkstown Farm by the Golf links. I actually remember it being built in the 1950s !!!! I was visting some friends in The Farm in Sept and thought I was in a different town, No Golflinks, no Rounda'bt, Tommy Horgan gone...and a new wide road to the Noggin...I will need a GPS when I move back home....

I konw the one at Avondale as my Mum lives in Dalkey so I am usually floating between there and Ballybrack when home.

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby spudseamus » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:10 am

Enviro500 wrote:Rocker,
I was shocked to see the "Biggun" removed at Monkstown Farm by the Golf links. I actually remember it being built in the 1950s !!!! I was visting some friends in The Farm in Sept and thought I was in a different town, No Golflinks, no Rounda'bt, Tommy Horgan gone...and a new wide road to the Noggin...I will need a GPS when I move back home....

I konw the one at Avondale as my Mum lives in Dalkey so I am usually floating between there and Ballybrack when home.

Enviro

I made a note in my head the next time i go back to take my GPS with me !! I dont know how many times I was "lost" until I got to an old part of a road and recognized a part of an old wall or sum such!! LOL! good God a stranger in my own land!!
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Rocker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:25 pm

Spudseamus,

At least your excuse can be that you have come from Melbourne. I wasnt along that way for about three months and I was lost and only live down the road. Another one which might catch you out is the Monkstown Ring Road linking Deansgrange Road just opposite Rockfort through Newtown Park Ave to Stillorgan Road opposite the Bowling Alley. They have put posh names on each section like Fleurville so I am always scratching my head wondering where to turn. The reason for this road was to take the heavy trucks going to the boat at DunLaoghaire off the other roads - now there is no boat! DONK!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Enviro500 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:34 pm

spudseamus wrote:
Enviro500 wrote:Rocker,

Enviro

I made a note in my head the next time i go back to take my GPS with me !! I dont know how many times I was "lost" until I got to an old part of a road and recognized a part of an old wall or sum such!! LOL! good God a stranger in my own land!!

Very true Spud....like a cannibal in Longford....."were is da Jublin road track bwana ? "
Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Rocker,
Contrary to my earlier comments in the year, there will be a H.S.S on service at the end of March.. They sent me some offers and a special discount price...At least that is GOOD news...Stena staff at Dun Laoghaire were, sadly being llaid ooff when I was there in mid Sept and they were not optomistic. So hopefully all will good news. It is a pain in the derrier having to wander around Dublin Port and battle your way to Dalkey, as the Ferries are always timed to arrive at Dublin rush hours...
To wind up I hope it will indeed a H.S.S and not that Lynx oversized 'SPEEDBOAT'....
Enviro'
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Gulliver » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:45 pm

Worst roundabouts in the county are on Cornelscourt Hill. Now I know there's a clue in the name... cars are likely to travel faster down a hill... but I never knew that the main purpose of roundabouts was to slow traffic!!! and even if it was deemed necessary to do so, the roundabouts could have been designed to give a relatively straight run up the hill, while sending downhill traffic around the twist.

One of the strangest roundabouts is the one at Monkstown village with the horse-trough. Frequently, local traffic from Carrickbrennan Road wanting to do a 360-degree turn drive on to the oncoming carriageway of Monkstown Crescent.

And why do we need traffic lights on a roundabout. A veritable forest of new lights at the roundabout beyond Bewleys in Leopardstown
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Strum » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Keep yer eyes open on the one at the top of the "Noggin" Hill . I'm hoping to place something there soon to give you a laugh.
Watch this space. Or rather watch that space. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby spudseamus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:52 am

Strum wrote:Keep yer eyes open on the one at the top of the "Noggin" Hill . I'm hoping to place something there soon to give you a laugh.
Watch this space. Or rather watch that space. :D

strum I put that one on the list of "what was the person sniffing /injecting into themselves when the thought that would be a good idea?" :D
spudseamus

Postby Rocker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:38 am

Strum,

Thats a hairy enough roundabout without us all stopping on all sides of it, craining our necks to gawk. Make it BIG
anyway so we will have a chance. Only go by there on a Tuesday and Wednesday night so hope its visible. Awaiting with baited breath.

What about getting a deal from the Council to paint the hoarding around the Deerpark with life size figures of Noggin characters?
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:02 pm

Haha, it'll be the first thing you see when you come up the hill from D/L. I'll maybe do it later tonight. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holla » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:08 pm

I saw plans for this roundabout a few years ago traffic lights one way systems bus lanes mini rounabouts all scary stuff and funded by the developers of the golf club /honey park project
Holla

Postby keeper » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:42 pm

I was at a retirement get together tonight, and was in the company of several Boro men and ladies, and, guess what !!! the main topic of conversation was the Noggin Hill roundabout :shock: :shock: It must be something special :? :? who ever thought it up in the Town Hall must have red ears by all accounts !!!
keeper

Postby Enviro500 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:02 am

Keeper,
Would that be a shindig of RETIRED TODAY Civil and Public Servants. I good pal of mine 35 years at FAS getting the Golden payoff, last day today...
He can now concentrate on his large Irish bus collection...I understand that some 7,000 are going today & next week inc Senior Police, Teachers, Civil Servants.. I could see our loy ginving that in these stretched times except a Banker,, Yes, a banker !!! They must have Millions of Euros to give away there...and I thought Ireland was broke !

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Holla » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:15 am

Rocker wrote:Strum,

Thats a hairy enough roundabout without us all stopping on all sides of it, craining our necks to gawk. Make it BIG
anyway so we will have a chance. Only go by there on a Tuesday and Wednesday night so hope its visible. Awaiting with baited breath.

What about getting a deal from the Council to paint the hoarding around the Deerpark with life size figures of Noggin characters?

Good idea rocker we could have Betty carey,sheila myler, fusty traynor, rasher turner, myra o toole, ticky dee boo, harold wynn,jonny cash,tex tallent all good people may they RIP the auld stock who left their mark in the noggin these are just a few plent more if you put your thinking cap on.
Holla

Postby Rocker » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:34 am

Holla,

Would that I had been from the Noggin. I would have met those people. I love eccentrics- they really are what makes the day.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

PreviousNext

Return to TRANSPORT PAST AND PRESENT