Dun Laoghaire Roundabouts

Dun Laoghaire Roundabouts

Postby Gulliver » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:04 pm

When the archeologists of the future look at Dun Laoghaire, what do you think they will focus in on as the most distinctive features of the landscape. Well - it must be the roundabouts! There are big ones, small ones, round ones, triangular ones - and they are breeding. Every year, they add a few to their number, and they get bigger and fatter and more complex.

Take the one at the junction of Stradbrook Road & Abbey Road, commonly known as the TEK roundabout. It is currently morphing itself into an larger even larger and more bloated roundabout. It has a loading bay and a bus-stop all within the roundabout. If it was levelled, it could be big enough for a training ground for TEK united. And in the morph, the roads are narrowing so that if there is ever a breakdown there, the whole junction will be closed.

Then there is the one at the end of Mounttown/Oliver Plunkett Rd/Kill Lane/Upr Glenageary Road, under reconstruction for the past year or so. Seems to cover acres, although the actual roundabout is small.

Then there is that annoying little roundabout at Lower Glenageary Rd/Silchester Road, which it is difficult to negotiate without driving over it.

Also in the boro' is the ever increasing collection of roundabouts along Cornelscourt Hill Road - thats the road that leads up from Corneslcourt village towards the M50 at Carrickmines

Maybe we should think of them as tourist attractions, and organise guided tours!!!
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Re: Dun Laoghaire Roundabouts

Postby johndle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:48 pm

Gulliver :? :?
You have to Much time on your Hands
Take up Knitting
:D :D :D :D
johndle
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Haha good one gulliver. Yes the one on Glenageary Rd is a bit ridiculous alright. Not many people actually drive around it but across it.
And the TEK one, yeah what a waste of space.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:09 pm

Gulliver,
Re Roundabouts.
I worked in Milton Keyness from its inception almost until 1991 as Fleet engineer for Bucks County .C. and watched it grow from a collection of small hamlets inc the village of M.K. to what it has grown now . My current H.Q (not Bucks C.C) is based in the centre though I am rarely there..
So Gulliver take comfort from the Dun Laoghaire roundabouts..Milton Keynes has about 147 such 'animals inc the concrete cows...and still growing.
I was perpetually moaned at by the t.v. Police and Fire/Ambulance service regarding front tyres lasting only 8,000 miles. Answer Roundabouts driving like bats 'OUTA HELL' and knocking out brake pads at the same milage.... Girling and Michelin loved us.!!!
Be thankful for small mercies

Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Kite » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:03 am

I suppose its a bit like the greyhounds at Shelbourne Park - having to run around a tight radius gives them awful trouble with their paws! :)

The roundabout at TEK/Suttons is also unusual in that it has substantial gradients on it - most roundabouts are on the flat.
Last edited by Kite on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kite

Postby Enviro500 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:06 am

KITE, Yes you are right !!!
Gulliver has not picked up on this follow up yet.....

Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Gulliver » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:11 pm

The TEK roundabout was perfectly good 3 years ago as a normal roundabout with double lanes around it. Now, three morphs and many thousands of euro later, even the bus has difficulty with it.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby lbyrne » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:50 am

Gulliver wrote:When the archeologists of the future look at Dun Laoghaire, what do you think they will focus in on as the most distinctive features of the landscape. Well - it must be the roundabouts! There are big ones, small ones, round ones, triangular ones - and they are breeding. Every year, they add a few to their number, and they get bigger and fatter and more complex.

Take the one at the junction of Stradbrook Road & Abbey Road, commonly known as the TEK roundabout. It is currently morphing itself into an larger even larger and more bloated roundabout. It has a loading bay and a bus-stop all within the roundabout. If it was levelled, it could be big enough for a training ground for TEK united. And in the morph, the roads are narrowing so that if there is ever a breakdown there, the whole junction will be closed.

Then there is the one at the end of Mounttown/Oliver Plunkett Rd/Kill Lane/Upr Glenageary Road, under reconstruction for the past year or so. Seems to cover acres, although the actual roundabout is small.

Then there is that annoying little roundabout at Lower Glenageary Rd/Silchester Road, which it is difficult to negotiate without driving over it.

Also in the boro' is the ever increasing collection of roundabouts along Cornelscourt Hill Road - thats the road that leads up from Corneslcourt village towards the M50 at Carrickmines"

Maybe we should think of them as tourist attractions, and organise guided tours!!!

We really do love our roundabouts don't we, here in Ireland, and Dun Laoghaire in particular. Yes, what on earth is that Stradbrook roundabout all, er, about? I drive right round it every week when I've left my mothers to collect my hubby from work for the journey 'home' (I use the term 'home' loosely!) to Balbriggan.

I really hate the Noggin Hill roundabout too, especially approaching it from the Noggin Hill. When I still lived in Dun Laoghaire and was learning to drive, I used to see what routes I could take to avoid the roundabouts - there were none! I just used to have to chose the route with the least roundabouts, lol.
lbyrne

Location: Living in Balbriggan for 5 years, but from Glasthule

Postby grammer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 am

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
did I miss something ????????? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby farmboy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:10 am

Probably the 45A :roll: :)
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:51 pm

Farmboy,

Very sharp there, and very good too ha.ha !!!

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby lbyrne » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:32 pm

farmboy wrote:Probably the 45A :roll: :)

Lol! :D
lbyrne

Location: Living in Balbriggan for 5 years, but from Glasthule

Postby Holla » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:36 pm

Well we have one less roundabout as of today,mounttown roundabout nolonger exists traffic light system in opperation as of today,all I can say is when approaching take your time and be carefull :!: :?: :arrow: :roll:
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby jordo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:39 pm

It's a shaggin' nightmare and only a matter of time before their is a major accident on it :roll:
jordo

Postby Strum » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:52 pm

Holla wrote:Well we have one less roundabout as of today,mounttown roundabout nolonger exists traffic light system in opperation as of today,all I can say is when approaching take your time and be carefull :!: :?: :arrow: :roll:

So much for the promise of the restoration of the five Lamps.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holla » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:00 am

yes i thaught we would see the lamps back or what about the little stone with the name of the lady who was killed there wheres that i wonder ? I was told that was the first roundabout in Ireland.
Holla

Postby farmboy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:53 pm

That new junction is a farce. Why the hell they couldnt have left it as a roundabout is beyond me. Like everything else with the idiots who are allowed decide these things; if it works lets see if we can break it. I came down from the Noggin side to visit my mother this morning and wasnt really sure if the loghts were with me or not, had to chance it anyway. Then coming out of there to head up the Farm, there was a green arrow in the far distance indicating (I think) that I could go but I,m really not sure. Jordo,s right, theres bound to be an accident there.

On a similar theme are those ridiculous buslanes that seem to be springing up all over. Who is the bufoon that authorised that silly little buslane between Fintans Park and Bakers Corner? Everybody and I mean everybody just totally ignores it and drives in it if they are either turning left or going straight. Same thing with that stupid buslane approaching Bakers Corner from Deans Grange. Even if you tried to stay out of it and drove to the top of the road, nobody would let you in to go straight ahead or turn left.

Now they,ve started tearing up Kill Avenue with more lanes being constructed. The traffic there now is badly disrupted. Before the work started there was no problem getting up or down that road most of the time. What will it be like when they,ve finished?
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:34 pm

I do NOT envy any of you Drivers out there and reading stuff like this, thank jayes I'm just a Pedestrian these days. Now as a Pedestrian may I say something that really pi|$%$ ME off and I bet many Drivers too.
I shouldn't care less as a Walker but it does annoy me.
I walk my Dogs down to Ballybrack, down the Pier, up Killiney etc and I have to cross many Roads with Pedestrian lights, for example, the ones on the Sally Glen Road, (from the Graduate Pub to the Sallynoggin Roundabout)
People push the button regardless. I just don't friggin get that. It only takes less than a minute to wait for a break in the Traffic to cross the road, and it only takes 5 seconds to cross the Road. (for me)
What I mean is, I have seen People walk up to the lights, push the stop button when there's no close on-coming traffic, and when they have crossed the Road the traffic catches up and has to stop for no reason.
What are People like? They push the Button just because it's there. :roll:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Thomastown » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:42 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

They even got rid of the old phone kiosk.TT
Thomastown
Advanced Member

Postby farmboy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:56 pm

Ah the good old days when driving was much less hassle. As youngsters we,d just jump up on the roundabout to get to the shops on the principle that a straight line is the shortest distance between two points. :)
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby farmboy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:03 am

farmboy wrote:
On a similar theme are those ridiculous buslanes that seem to be springing up all over. Who is the bufoon that authorised that silly little buslane between Fintans Park and Bakers Corner? Everybody and I mean everybody just totally ignores it and drives in it if they are either turning left or going straight. Same thing with that stupid buslane approaching Bakers Corner from Deans Grange. Even if you tried to stay out of it and drove to the top of the road, nobody would let you in to go straight ahead or turn left.

The ridiculous buslane that was on Kill Lane leading up to Bakers Corner has now been removed proving how unworkable it was in the first place. What a blatant waste of money putting it there in the first place not to mention the disruption to traffic. Just who is responsible for these plans anyway? I,d like to give him/her a piece of my mind. :x
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Holla » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:21 pm

I agree 100% just look at the new system at what was mounttown roundabout your left sitting at the lights for ages,when the roundabout was there you approached it with three or four cars ahead of you,yielded to traffic and on your way ,well it seemed a lot faster to me and many others i know.give these people a piece of your mind... a good kick up the yaris
Holla

Postby Sinead » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:41 pm

Holla:

Don't run into my car, please. I agree with you and Farmboy that junction is now a complete nightmare. A waste of public money, who ever thought up the layout never used the roundabout. Talk about re-inventing the wheel. The roundabout at TEK is another expensive disaster, it did work very well before they got to work on it - must be the work of the same genius. I think the ultimate responsibility must rest with the County Manager. He is, I believe, the person who put up all those riducleous direction signs in Dublin - they had to be removed after a week or so - another waste of public money.

Rant over.

Sinead
Sinead

Postby keeper » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Is this the moan section ? if it is, can I moan about the height of those pesky speed ramps that are nearly always invisible on a wet night, is there a maximum legal height to which they are limited ? out my way they have given up replacing the red bricks and have just covered the lot with another layer of tarmac whisch in turn breaks up , not a pretty sight !! they had to wheel an eldery lady to an ambulance which couldn't safely drive over one particularly high one, mind you it's interesting to see some of the modified/boyracer cars trying their luck, but even in a normal car they are so dangerous, especially people that don't know the area. Rant over !!!
keeper

Postby grammer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:32 am

I think roundabouts and speed ramps are just the knats kxxkers-
they should on every road and every street
the are so classy and they give enployment :D :D :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
PS -I dont have a car :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Next

Return to TRANSPORT PAST AND PRESENT