Postby Strum » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:41 pm

Helium wrote:Ah you are back from the shops then! :lol: :lol: :lol:

No it must be magic. :?

:lol:
Strum
Administrator

Re: Buses

Postby Snowhite » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:31 pm

Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Zirco » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:52 pm

That's great, Tks Snowhite. The two way system up the quays, the pedestrians crossing in front of the bus, the messenger boy on his bike cutting across, great stuff! wuu wuu wuu
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby Rocker » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:11 am

That is great footage Snowy. Thanks. Some of those shops and restaurants i had forgotten about. We used to eat in the chopsticks Chinese!. Slones was a great place for all the clothes everyone ran a book there.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Jemser » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:21 pm

Don't the road surfaces look really smooth and well cared for, with a distinct lack of road markings and lanes. Seems a very sedate pace of life, not at all like driving in town nowadays. Good find Snowy.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby keeper » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:02 pm

Great video and not a Japanese car in sight :shock:
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:14 pm

Nice piece of footage snowy thanks. All the jaywalkers had me laughing. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:10 am

Strum wrote:Nice piece of footage snowy thanks. All the the jaywalkers had me laughing. :D

:lol: :lol: We irish do the jaywalking thing without thinking. I can't believe just how jaywalkery the people in Ballybrack are. They eyeball you and walk out in front of you daring you to hit them...I frightened a few just stare ahead and keep going. :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:41 pm

I don't use many buses as there is none near me. But, had an interesting comment with an elderly lady from Dalkey the other day. She used to take the number 8 into the city and have a little look at Clerys and Boyers and a bit of lunch and bus home. Problem now ..No number 8. No Clerys. No Boyers.
So she went out and took the 59 to Dún Laoghaire there was nothing much to do so she made her way to Marine Road and had to wait over one hour in the freezing cold to get a 59 back to Dalkey. That knocks that on the head for an outing. I know she could have gone for the DART but she kept expecting a bus to arrive. PS the illuminated sign is too hih up and too difficult for aging eyes to read.

She tried the 111 and it was going the wrong way and she had a tour of Loughlinstown Hospital and Brides Glen etc...another mess.
Dublin Bus do not know and certainly do not care that the age profile of their customers is over 60.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Trust you Rocker to keep the ball rolling :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dun Laoghaire -Marine Rd. maybe yes the age group over 60s
But you get a bus from the city and it's full of young -mostly new Irish hopping on and off all the way to D/L----
It's only when you get to Marine Rd. that all the aul wans are waiting :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(including myself :lol: :lol: :lol: )
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Micheál » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:04 pm

It's still not possible to get a full system map of Dublin Bus routes.
You an only get
- popular city centre routes
- limited individual routes.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:32 pm

Micheál wrote:It's still not possible to get a full system map of Dublin Bus routes.
You an only get
- popular city centre routes
- limited individual routes.

M.

Yes, I got the 111 from Deh Noggin yesterday just to see what magical mystery tour I was going on to D/L. I wasn't sure if I'd have to hop off in the Farm, or York Rd but there was a "conductor" on the bus to help passengers, I suppose to direct/conduct passengers and not to distract the driver as to where they were going. Anyway he told me straight away. Noggin, down through Mounttown, York Rd, seafront and up Marie Road, after that I don't know, back up through De Noggin again?

That's sad Rocker. :|
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Lots of potential for days out for those lucky enough to have bus passes. If the bus goes from point A to point B it has to go in the opposite direction as well. Look for the positives in these changes, surely there has to be some.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Strum » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:57 pm

Sinead wrote: Look for the positives in these changes, surely there has to be some.

Sinéad

I think the re-routing with the 7 / 7A was a very good move actually. It works well and it's consistent. The 7 through the Sallyglen Road takes about ten minutes off the journey so all in all it was a positive compromise. Also the 111 is handy for anybody going to Mounttown or the York Rd end of the Town. Just a shame about the number 8.
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:43 pm

The travel pass is great ! I've been doing grand bus tours around the city since I got one, my favourite one is the 18, Palmerstown to Sandymount Green via just about everywhere :lol: :lol:
keeper

Postby Rocker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:19 am

keeper wrote:The travel pass is great ! I've been doing grand bus tours around the city since I got one, my favourite one is the 18, Palmerstown to Sandymount Green via just about everywhere :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: We were going to the Concert Hall the other night and got the DART to Dún Laoghaire then the 46A to Earlsfort Terrace and return and that bus took forever and seemed to go everywhere too even up the slip road at UCD to fill up with gazillions of students. It would have been a pleasure to look around but we were under time restraint BangHead BangHead just made it for the last DART.

Never took the 18 yet. My best one is the 4 from the Blue Pool to the Botanics.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:03 am

Rocker wrote: My best one is the 4 from the Blue Pool to the Botanics.

Really? I've never heard of that one.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:05 am

The number 4 goes all the way to Harristown but, we go to the Botanic Gardens on it. Long one through the city.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:12 am

Rocker wrote:The number 4 goes all the way to Harristown but, we go to the Botanic Gardens on it. Long one through the city.

Gonna look up that one. Cheers Rocker. ;)

EDIT: One an hour, great and wow within walking distance of Ikea. Who'd have known. Well Rocker did, thanks for that. thumbright :D

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/ ... etables/4/
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:36 pm

Strum, the No 4 runs about every 10 minutes. Take the 7 to Frascati Shopping Centre and you can get the 4 there.

Rocker, you would have been better staying on the dart to Pearse and walking up.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Jemser » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:36 am

Fair play to you Sinead, because that must be close to an hour's walk. A few miles around the gardens and an hour back to the dart. Sure you would be knackered after that, you would need a day off the next day. :lol:
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Sinead » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:26 am

Jemsegr, put on yer reading glasses, Rocker was going to the Concert Hall not de Gardens.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:36 am

Sinead wrote:Jemsegr, put on yer reading glasses, Rocker was going to the Concert Hall not de Gardens.

Sinéad

Ha ha Sinead...get the name of the early riser and all that, :lol: :lol: I was letting you take the credit for doing all the walking. I'd never walk from Pearse to the Concert Hall...no wonder I'm in the condition I am in.

Jemser we take the 4 bus from the Blue Pool to the Botanic Gardens...but, we drive to the BP and park there. Then we stroll around the Botanic Gardesn, have lunch and get the 4 outside the gates back to the BP and the car...no wonder I'm in the state I'm in :lol: :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:15 pm

This was kept quiet, or I didn't hear about it? 45A, 59 and 111 included.

Ryan says awarding of 10% of Dublin bus routes to private operator a recipe for disaster.

http://workersparty.ie/ryan-says-awardi ... -disaster/

Pensioners cannot have free ride on buses, says Go Ahead chief.
This is the British bus company that won the tender for 10% of Dublin Bus routes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... chief.html
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:46 pm

This seems like the thin edge of privatisation, the NTA have said nothing will change with regards to Leap Card and Free Travel but we've heard things like this before. BangHead
keeper

PreviousNext

Return to TRANSPORT PAST AND PRESENT