Buses

Re: Buses

Postby Enviro500 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:31 pm

Navanman,

Ta tu an chara go mhaith agus me an sean amadan, !!!!!

Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Navanman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:53 am

Enviro
Níl tu amadán ta mise an amadán not to head off to Canada or New Zealand when I was a garsún ;)

Fear as an Uaimh
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby bugrock » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:29 am

Navanman, in reply to your question, and the answer being to do with IT - I'll post the reply in the Computer Section.
Love your Gaelic Enviro. Bit like "dun an F#@#@#@n doras" :lol:
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby jaytee » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:47 am

bugrock0 wrote:Navanman, in reply to your question, and the answer being to do with IT - I'll post the reply in the Computer Section.
Love your Gaelic Enviro. Bit like "dun an F#@#@#@n doras" :lol:

:D
jaytee

Postby Rocker » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:53 pm

I was just over in Tescos and heard that because of anti social behaviour in Wyattville Rd and Churchview Rd the 7 and 45A service would be curtailed. Got on to Dublin Bus site and copied this...
Mon- Fri

Route 7 Towards Loughlinstown / Cherrywood
The last bus serving Churchview Rd & Wyattville Rd will depart the city centre at 20:30pm.
Buses after 20:30pm will operate normal route to Killiney Shopping Centre; then turn around at the roundabout, left onto Johnstown road, left on to N11 left to Cherrywood and onto Loughlinstown.

Route 7 Towards Mountjoy Sq.
The last bus serving Churchview Rd. & Wyattville will depart Loughlinstown at 20:30pm.
Buses after 20:30pm from Loughlinstown /Cherrywood will operate via the N11, right to Johnstown Rd., right to Rochestown Ave., Killiney Shopping Centre, then turn around at the roundabout and back on to normal route.

Route 45a from Dún Laoghaire
Last bus serving Churchview rd & Wyattville will depart Dún Laoghaire at 20:20pm.
Buses after 20:20pm will operate normal route to Killiney Shopping Centre; then via Church Rd., left to Ballybrack and back on to normal route.

Route 45A towards Dún Laoghaire
Last bus serving Churchview Rd. & Wyattville will depart Balywaltrim at 20:25pm.
Buses after 20:25pm will operate normal route to Ballybrack Village; then right to Church road, Killiney Shopping Centre and back to normal route.

The above diversions will operate at weekends also below is a list of last buses operating the normal route.

Saturday Route 7
City Centre 20:30pm
Loughlinstown 20:20pm

Saturday Route 45a
From Dún Laoghaire 20:30pm
To Dún Laoghaire 20:35pm

Sunday Route 7
City Centre 20:30pm
Loughlinstown 20:20pm

Sunday Route 45a
From Dún Laoghaire 20:35pm
To Dún Laoghaire 20:00pm

Dublin Bus would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:00 pm

Doesn't surprise me in the least Rocker and I don't blame them either. The kids throw stones at the busses even when they're parked at the terminus. It causes major hassle for people with shopping or babies in buggies etc etc.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:19 pm

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Interesting times. We haven't seen any competition on buses in my lifetime so hope it works. People will have to pay more for the service..the cross subsidization did not work.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Theres an aroma of rodent about this in my opinion.

1. Timing is clearly reflecting current environment - what with Dublin Bus dispute still unresolved.

2. The Routes all seem mostly (relatively) new ones - many are of the orbital variety - which in an ideal world ought to dovetail with other radial routes. So private operators must co-ordinate with continuing publicly run services. I cant see that working (recall Rosslare train departing as Ferry gangplank is about to be placed). Maybe its planned to fail.

Personally, I'd privatise ALL public transport Services - ie. fulfilment of schedules - packaging a mix of popular and 'difficult' routes
but I'd retain research and determination of schedules in State control (not CIE though)

M.

I see DART's imaginative solution to cost control is to pack off-peak commuters into fewer carriages. Grrrrrrrr
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:41 pm

I'm not exactly understanding this proposal. Competition me Ars. Cutbacks morelike.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:53 pm

Micheál wrote:I see DART's imaginative solution to cost control is to pack off-peak commuters into fewer carriages. Grrrrrrrr

Marketing spin. We have short memories...a number of years ago when there was too much demand for trains the solution was to increase the price to such an extent that very few could afford to travel.(it would be a great job if it wasn't for the passengers). Now, I know that it was madness to run a four piece set with just two passengers in it but, that was bad management..it is better and more cost effective to run the shorter full DART at off peak.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:58 pm

This is a picture from Google Street View of houses on Marine Parade facing the green area at Newtownsmith. The nearest house is the corner of Marine Parade and Link Road, which goes up to Glasthule.

The second picture is an old one of the same houses with three/four buses passing by. The lead bus is marked Dalkey. Can anybody date the picture, or the buses, or any other elements of the picture.

What is going on in the picture?
Why are there 4 buses there. Was this a bus route at some time? I suspect that there is a diversion due to road works. There is a small dumper in the left of the picture.
Why are there many people around the lead bus? Is there some form of dispute? I think I can see one or more uniformed person there.
What is on the seaward side of the wall in bottom right. Is that sea? My understanding is that this area was filled in around 1921/22, as it states on the monument there. Was part of it left unfilled. If yes, what is the photographer standing on?
What I really want is any indication of the date of the picture!
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Micheál » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:45 pm

Very interesting Gulliver

Im guessing a long lens was used so the Snapper could have been over at Sandycove point somewhere.( I'll try to prove this another time)

Might that half hole in the sea wall be the old outlet of O'Toole's Stream?

Might the site have been used as a temporary Terminus while major works were afoot between Glasthule and Dalkey?

Buses dont seem that old.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Micheál wrote:Buses dont seem that old.

M.

True. 60's? I'll ask Enviro on FB. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby farmboy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:39 pm

I,m guessing 50,s purely cause I,m old enough to remember them like that! :roll: ;) If you go to google maps and pan across towards the sea from where the first street view is taken, you,ll see a grid where that stream that Micheal mentions is culverted.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Bicycle Bill » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:06 pm

Enviro is in the sun for two weeks... I believe... I wonder are the buses taking local people to the Congress in 1932.. wuu
Bicycle Bill

Postby Strum » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:17 pm

Ha Skins. That's amazing because this is Enviro's Brother's response.

"I wonder is it 1932, taking people to the Congress"
Strum
Administrator

Postby Navanman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:10 pm

The Buses and Dumper look "modern" to me also I doubt if they had dumpers in the 1920's.

When I was young 50's / 60's only a section was "filled in". I remember them "adding" more green area.

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby skins » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:18 pm

Strum wrote:Ha Skins. That's amazing because this is Enviro's Brother's response.

"I wonder is it 1932, taking people to the Congress"

I didn't say nuffink, Strum. Can't be 30s though, trams operating then.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Navanman wrote:
When I was young 50's / 60's only a section was "filled in". I remember them "adding" more green area.

NM

Thanks NM, I was wondering about that, when they started introducing the Green area as it is now.

Also, Jordo was spot on with the O' Tooles Stream.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gulliver » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:44 pm

The history of the filling in is hugely interesting.
Imageshack is not operating tonight for some reason, but I have a picture from the Lawrence collection from about 1890 looking from the railway down towards the baths frontage and Newtownsmith. At that time there were a number of large houses where the car park now is opposite Teddys. The road stopped at that point, and there is only a pathway down to the houses.

It appears from the monument that the infill took place in 1920-21, but many people remember the infill down towards the Sandycove end. However, the book "images of Ireland - Dun Laoghaire Rathdown" (Pat Walsh) €16.99 shows a picture credited as 1930s showing the entire area filled in, and a complete concrete sea wall right down to Sandycove, including where the rock sea wall now is. I think Walsh's book is misguided, and that this may have been a mocked up photo created by the planners to show what the completed works might be. Further, my copy of the same picture is marked as Kingstown, and is therefore unlikely to come from the 1930s

The picture with the 4 buses shows an amount of sea which I'd guess is larger than the mouth of a tiny stream

Ha! Imageshack is working now. Here's the very old Newtownsmith pic

"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Micheál » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:47 pm

Holy moly Gulliver,

I never imagined the seafront was so different in times gone by.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby jaytee » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:59 pm

Wow! thats a shock. Its a great picture Gulliver.
jaytee

Postby Strum » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:15 am

Gulliver wrote:The picture with the 4 buses shows an amount of sea which I'd guess is larger than the mouth of a tiny stream

Not the Sea, the Drain. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby bugrock » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:22 am

I've got a feeling that was a temporary bus stop in the early sixties. And the water was the edge of the dump, before it was filled in. Open to correction(the gargle dims me brain - again).
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

PreviousNext

Return to TRANSPORT PAST AND PRESENT