Buses

Re: Buses

Postby Micheál » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:04 am

This is a very welcome development.

The oporator is required to honour all the service parameters set by NTA - timetables, routes, fleet, Fares, cards etc.
Similar to London busses.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:45 am

I'm having mixed feelings about this...Who exactly are the NTA and how did they get so much power all of a sudden. From one discussion I heard yesterday on radio it appears all the garages in Dublin Bus are now under the control of the NTA??...haven't checked this out !Will that mean that all buses will be garaged there. Who will control the fuel? will it be bought by the NTA. I am worried cause some of those routes will affect these parts.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:55 pm

Micheál wrote:This is a very welcome development.

The oporator is required to honour all the service parameters set by NTA - timetables, routes, fleet, Fares, cards etc.

M.

I wish I had your faith in our leadership ..... honouring agreements is easy if you can shift the burden back to the buyer/passenger. I would not trust the NTA to look after the public interests ahead of their self important own needs.

Ps lets not forget how the NCT was auctioned off.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:21 am

Micheál wrote:This is a very welcome development.

M.

For how long :?:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:33 pm

This is very helpful.

New map of where you can go in Dublin, and How and how long it'll take . . .

http://interactive.map.busconnects.ie/

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby gingertom » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:49 am

https://www.busconnects.ie/media/1225/b ... ow-res.pdf

The proposal to change local bus services is a serious degradation of the present system. The number 7 serving Sallynoggin has been removed from serving a huge population there and replaced by a connecting service. Two busses are need to get into Dublin city where one from Sallynoggin was always the established practice.As usual the old and the disabled will be the casualties of this change. I have only noticed one local politician seriously condemn this change...........the rest appear to have capitulated.......or maybe Im wrong?
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:29 am

I haven't really sat down to examine exactly what will happen to the buses in the new proposal. Since I retired I never go to the city centre. I drive to the Blue pool and park and take the 4 to St Vincent's hospital for appointments. A couple of years ago I had a go at a politician about how difficult it was to get from Ballybrack to St Vincents. She airily replied there is a great DART system from Killiney all the way..... I asked her to read my lips.."I am going to the hospital!!"...why do you think I am going to the hospital? am I in the full of my health?? she stared...I explained that it takes 20 minutes uphill walk from the house to the railway station. Then a good ten minutes walk from sydney Parade Station to the Hospital....That is nothing she said...... :lol: :lol:
My 90 year old friend in Bray takes a taxi to St Vincents for appointments again because the 45 has been rerouted and the DART is just too far to walk in her condition....60 Euro roundtrip!!

My 90 plus year old pals in Dalkey are going on a mystery trip on the 59 to get to Dun Laoghaire (bringing their lunch for sustenance) and again taking taxis to Vincents for tests. All this is before the Bus connects changes!!!
St Michaels Hospital is a great standby for us oldies but they don't have CT scan machines, Heart section etc. the alternative is loughlinstown and that is a taxi ride too. Just as well they have a decent cup of coffee available!! for the wait for a return taxi!!
Most of the schemes...park and ride, bike to work, walk and train are geared for the fit 30 somethings with two working legs and a good heart. I think the politicians or the planners have no idea what a 70/80 plus bad heart, cancer prone, COPD, walking sticked, walking aid person needs.....and they don't care!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby gingertom » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:38 pm

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politic ... -1.3637445

Sallynoggin and Dún Laoghaire as major population centres are now left without a direct bus service to O'Connell Street for the first time since the creation of our Republic. This is significant change that our local politicians have failed to prohibit. I believe that local councillors should have used their influence to effect a block on this.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Micheál » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:48 pm

I'm a great bus fan and use them regularly. And sure why wouldn't I? They are simply State subsidised personal taxis where you might encounter the odd extra passenger. I dont buy this route 'degradation' argument at all. The proof is there to be seen. Stand on any bus route and observe how few passengers are using them. And its not for lack of frequency. I had reason to travel to DCU daily for a whole year last year and, invariably, I was spoiled for choice at O'Connell Street
(having endured the "indignity" of changing from DART) and most days, I boarded an EMPTY #9 and travelled alone to DCU. Admittedly, this was at10 a.m. long before any students (Sorry Strum) were up and about.

Statistically, the new routes appear to mostly cover the capacity of the old ones, and then some. That said, dont be fooled by statistics. These are 'notional journeys';, they assume there will be real bums on seats. My hope is that the newer routes will be matched to real demand and we'll see more people using the service. All in all, I applaud the NTA doing something about it at long last.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby bugrock » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:07 am

That's put the pussy among the pigeons, Michael! :lol:
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby gingertom » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Micheál wrote:I'm a great bus fan and use them regularly. And sure why wouldn't I? They are simply State subsidised personal taxis where you might encounter the odd extra passenger. I dont buy this route 'degradation' argument at all. The proof is there to be seen. Stand on any bus route and observe how few passengers are using them. And its not for lack of frequency. I had reason to travel to DCU daily for a whole year last year and, invariably, I was spoiled for choice at O'Connell Street
(having endured the "indignity" of changing from DART) and most days, I boarded an EMPTY #9 and travelled alone to DCU. Admittedly, this was at10 a.m. long before any students (Sorry Strum) were up and about.

Statistically, the new routes appear to mostly cover the capacity of the old ones, and then some. That said, dont be fooled by statistics. These are 'notional journeys';, they assume there will be real bums on seats. My hope is that the newer routes will be matched to real demand and we'll see more people using the service. All in all, I applaud the NTA doing something about it at long last.

M.

Sounds exactly like a response that could be attributed to a right wing local politician who has little regard for the elderly, infirmed and disadvantaged!
Last edited by gingertom on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby gingertom » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:05 pm

I think the important point is that well numbered populated areas that have always had a direct bus service to the city centre will now be without such as a result of this action. That is a fundamental degradation of the service currently provided to Sallynoggin and its environs, no matter which way you look at it Mícheál.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby gingertom » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:04 pm

There at this time there is one guest reading our posts...to that guest, whoever they may be, I would contend that those that need public transport are the ones who must be considered as the basis when deciding upon public transport networks.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby bugrock » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:12 pm

As I no longer live in Ireland, I probably have no right to an opinion. But memories of growing up and depending on the buses for school, then work, prompts me to support GT's view.
bugrock

Postby Toss » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:54 pm

gingertom wrote:I would contend that those that need public transport are the ones who must be considered as the basis when deciding upon public transport networks.

Well said .... alas the tail is wagging the dog.
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:45 pm

I agree - up to a point - that the people that use public transport are indeed the ones whos needs should be prioritised. But there are two other important stakeholders -
a) the people who do not currently use it - but would do so - if the network was modernised to take account of shifting demographics. Thus sharing the cost of the network across a greater user base.
b) the people who pony up the subsidy. Given the financial constraints of the State, public networks cannot be limitless. Besides, we already have limitless networks that'll take all users from exactly where they are to precisely where they want to go. It comes in three versions depending on technology deployed - taxis, bicycles, feet.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby bugrock » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:02 pm

Beware of ageing, illness and poverty. Not good for the country. Shades of Soylent Green!
I'm sounding like Toss!
Wrong topic?
bugrock

Postby Toss » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:31 am

Micheál wrote:Given the financial constraints of the State, public networks cannot be limitless.

M.

I do not buy into the financial constraints idea ........ from what I can see, there is plenty of money put into the state coffers each year from the people and all that is wrong is that is not being used for the right purposes. Do we need so many quangos ? do we need all the tribunals ? do we need all the advisors / consultants / spin doctors ? do we need all the Councillors and Councils ? Do we need to fund RTE with their sky high wages ? Do we need to fund Universities that are hoarding money ? Do we need to have foreign companies run our NCT / Luas etc on guaranteed long term contracts ? the list goes on and on.

There's a reason for the homelessness, there's a reason for crime, there's a reason we have people on trolley's in Hospitals and there's a reason we can't organise our public transport etc etc .......... the state budgets are out of control and nobody seems willing to make the tough decisions. Whats wrong with redirecting our spending from vanity projects to mainline services ? Whats wrong with paying the Doctors and Nurses before the management teams ? whats wrong with bringing back bus conductors and helping people whilst creating employment ? Can we not employ carpenters / bricklayers etc instead of funding some consultant to tell us the obvious for a fortune?

The money is there, its just a question of priorities and I don't see Joe public getting a look in .... until its time for the election promises of course and suddenly even the dumbest politician has a solution to spin for a vote.
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:34 pm

gingertom wrote:As usual the old and the disabled will be the casualties of this change.

Don't forget Students. I'm amazed that students in Sallynoggin college are traveling from Tallagh, Fairview, Kilmainham, and other places. They have to be out of home by 7 to make it to Sallynoggin for 9 and two hours commute home again.
Hell of a day for them already so I hope this bus change works out for them.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:50 pm

Strum wrote:
gingertom wrote:As usual the old and the disabled will be the casualties of this change.

Don't forget Students. I'm amazed that students in Sallynoggin college are traveling from Tallagh, Fairview, Kilmainham, and other places. They have to be out of home by 7 to make it to Sallynoggin for 9 and two hours commute home again.

It is only when we come into contact with the young and the students that we realise that all the rules are made by the adults who themselves have plenty of options and they ( adults) do not know, care or appreciate what the young are going through. Jus ttoday i looked at a small pregnant girl with a buggy and a toddler waiting on the top road for a bus (into town as I drove out) and she looked like she had been there for ages. God knows her life but all the people passing her way seemed oblivious.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby gingertom » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:22 pm

Strum wrote:

Yes Strum it will affect them also.....Theres a place for you on the Students Union.... ;)

In terms of finance, it must be remembered that fares are paid by passengers as the services are not free to ride. This gives passengers a significant stake holding in their transport systems and such should be translated into a voice that must be heard especially by local councillors and national politicians. There is the argument that money should be spent as wisely by the Transport Authorities based upon government oversight and incidentally, just being mindful of how privatisation of the railways in the UK has evolved, with the potentially foreseeable resultant train overcrowding (amongst other issues....unpunctuality) now currently experienced by customers of UK Northern Rail Companies, we should bear these issues in mind when privatising any state operations here. Remember Telecom Eireann!
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Micheál » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:32 pm

gingertom wrote: [...] Remember Telecom Eireann!

Unfortunately, these network proposals are not concerned with privatisation; though I hope we see more of this in due course.

As for Telecom Eireann, how could those of us of a certain vintage ever forget?
- Albanian waiting lists for new subscribers (unless you had a letter from a Bishop or a cumann number)
- bills that were so random, they could have been used as a prize engine for the Lotto (until a man called Fiddis (?) took them on single handed)
- purchasing the Johnton Mooney site as a commercial favour to their political friends
etc
etc
Oops, I'm off topic!

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby gingertom » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:46 am

Micheál wrote:
gingertom wrote: [...] Remember Telecom Eireann!

Unfortunately, these network proposals are not concerned with privatisation; though I hope we see more of this in due course.

As for Telecom Eireann, how could those of us of a certain vintage ever forget?
- Albanian waiting lists for new subscribers (unless you had a letter from a Bishop or a cumann number)
- bills that were so random, they could have been used as a prize engine for the Lotto (until a man called Fiddis (?) took them on single handed)
- purchasing the Johnton Mooney site as a commercial favour to their political friends
etc
etc
Oops, I'm off topic!

M.

This is a private company and they are taking over forrmerly state run transport services so privatisation is on the agenda.

https://www.go-aheaddublin.ie/newsroom- ... schedules/
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:30 am

Go ahead bus company won a tender to operate the routes,

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consume ... -1.3182858

Competition is the thing. Dublin bus will have to step up to the plate and maybe operate on time. The lack lustre attitude, I'm listening to my radio, I'm not pulling into the pavement for you auld wans...go on jump off!, sorry missus ..only one buggy allowed...there will be another bus in an hour!, I'm on my break and you can stand in the rain for 10 minutes approach MIGHT become a thing of the past!!! somehow I doubt it.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:51 pm

As a regular bus user I am not in favour of the proposed changes listed in Bus Connects for this area. The plan will leave most of Ballybrack without a regular bus service, thus ensuring the elderly and those with young children will not be able to access - doctors, health clinic, Post Office, Credit Union or many hospitals. From Rochestown Lodge to National Rehab to Power City there will be no public bus service. I did attend some Public Meetings regarding this issue and I have made a submission to Bus Connects. Where on Church Road is there a need for a bus? There is perhaps 30 houses on this section of road, Watsons, Ashlawn, etc has a greater density of housing and it is to be bypassed.

Sinéad
Sinead
Skies are Blue

PreviousNext

Return to TRANSPORT PAST AND PRESENT