Wrecks around the Irish Coastline

Wrecks around the Irish Coastline

Postby grammer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:49 pm

its been estimated that there are between 12-15000 sunken ships around the coastlines of ireland

its been impossible to produce correct figures because of the shifting sands on the seabeds mave have covered a lot more wrecks and records were not kept of sinkings in olden times or thru' the middle ages--
but according to an article by jim byrne "enough is known from offical figures already compiled -that along the east coast from co. louth to co.wicklow there are at least 3000 wrecks
put because of the size of the irish offshore area is vast -stretching outwards towards spain -iceland and north america-covering 850,000 sq.kms
the total could be over 15,000 wrecks
in 1588 many ships of the spanish armada were wrecked off the west and north coast-

during both world wars a hugh amount of ships were lost around the coast -during ww2 espesially of the donegal coast-many U-boats were scuttled there after the end of ww2

what unknown treasures are buried in the older wrecks one can oly wonder ????????
oh to be a diver :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
grammer

Postby Mariner » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:25 pm

Ed Bourke is currently revising his book on Irish Shipwrecks
Mariner

Re: wrecks around the irish coastline

Postby Tyke » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:43 pm

This is the nearest i have found to treasure although it was off the Scottish coast, close to the Mull of Kintyre,

About half of the bottles are full and they are from a wreck that went down in 1859, from a bottle that broke on the way up they contain red wine or maybe port but i dont think i will try a taste! :lol:

Over here we have to report any finds to the receiver of wrecks who determine if anybody (shipping line or insurance co etc) have an ownership claim, not sure if its the same in Ireland :?:

I would love to get over to Ireland some day to do some diving, friends have said its really good off the south coast.
Tyke

Postby Strum » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:36 pm

Wow great finds Tyke. Yes I believe there are some great diving spots around Dublin Bay even. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby jordo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:50 pm

Hi Tyke, two lads I work with are into the Diving and one, if not both of them has been down on the Leinster. If you do decide to come over I will put you in touch with them as they might be able to make suggestions. Great collection of bottles, did you get the name of the ship they are off?
jordo

Postby Tyke » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:43 pm

jordo wrote:If you do decide to come over I will put you in touch with them

Thanks for that Jordo :)

jordo wrote:did you get the name of the ship they are off?

They are from an iron paddlesteamer called The Lapwing, a small coastal cargo/passenger vessel that worked from Glasgow up the west coast, it was on one of these trips along with another steamer 'Isleman' when they hit a storm and the skipper of Lapwing decided to turn back, unfortunately he turned into the path of Isleman and was holed and sunk. Sadly the cabin boy and a woman passenger who were below were drowned.

The site is more of wreckage field than a recognisable wreck, the bottles were top to tail in the sand in a group , i think it was a full crate and the wooden surround had rotted away.
Tyke

Postby skins » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Tyke,

Did you ever dive on the wreck of the "Stassa", in Rodel Bay, Isle of Harris? Reason I ask is that I sailed on her about a year before she was sold to a Panamanian outfit and sank on route from Archangel to Limerick. There was a rumour at the time that the Master refused help because she was carrying weapons for the IRA concealed in her cargo of timber.She was named "Zena" when I was on her; belonged to Glens of Glasgow.
Regards,
Skins
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Tyke » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:17 pm

skins wrote:Tyke,

Did you ever dive on the wreck of the "Stassa", in Rodel Bay, Isle of Harris?

Hi Skins,
No i haven't been diving that far up, most of my dives have been around Campbeltown/ Mull of Kintyre as i have friends who moved up there and bought a farm on the coast, or on the east coast, the Farne islands near the Scottish/English border. I always find it interesting to read the background of any wrecks i dive on. :)

Cheers
Tyke

Postby skins » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:27 pm

No sweat, Tyke.......just asking on the off-chance. Good luck with the diving, and Happy New Year to you.

Skins
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Tyke » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:48 pm

Thank you skins, Happy new year! I have just 'googled' SS Stassa, it looks like its one to do! :) along with the SS Politician (the whisky galore wreck)
Tyke

Re: Wrecks around the Irish Coastline

Postby Mariner » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:13 am

Just put up this story of silver dollars: http://www.mariner.ie/history/articles/ships/crescent-city
Mariner

Postby MyLuck! » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:38 am

Just got message to log on and was looking at latest posts when I saw the title of this topic and thought someone had seen me out walking yesterday!!

When I lived in Kerry they used to talk about the Salamander in Fenit - I don't know if anything was taken off it or when it wrecked but I remember having a vision of a reptile rather than a ship.
MyLuck!

Postby Mariner » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:15 pm

MyLuck! wrote:When I lived in Kerry they used to talk about the Salamander in Fenit - I don't know if anything was taken off it or when it wrecked but I remember having a vision of a reptile rather than a ship.

The Salamander was a fishing trawler which went down in 1900, so I doubt that it would have treasure. However, there are others ...
Mariner

Postby MyLuck! » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:33 pm

Just read the following and thought of you:

Divers have described their discovery of a WWI German U-boat that historians believe was destroyed in 1919.

All 27 crew on board the UC42 died when the submarine sank at the entrance to Cork Harbour on 10 September 1917.

It had been laying mines when an explosion was heard.

A team of five amateur divers from Cork discovered the submarine in good condition in 27m of water just off Roches Point on 6 November after a 12-month search.

Diver Ian Kelleher said they were very surprised and ecstatic to find it with little obvious explosive damage.

Positive identification was possible when they found its number stamped on a propeller.

Mr Kelleher, a chemistry student, said that two days before Christmas, the dive team laid a plaque of remembrance near the propellers as a memorial to the 27 German submariners who died.

They plan to return to the site over the coming weeks and continue their research into the submarine and its crew, including trying to contact relatives of the crew.
MyLuck!

Postby Mariner » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:01 pm

So what were the RN looking at in 1919 with its stern blown out?
Mariner

Postby jordo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:09 pm

MyLuck! wrote:Just got message to log on and was looking at latest posts when I saw the title of this topic and thought someone had seen me out walking yesterday!!

:D :D :D
jordo

Postby Strum » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:36 pm

jordo wrote:
MyLuck! wrote:Just got message to log on and was looking at latest posts when I saw the title of this topic and thought someone had seen me out walking yesterday!!

:D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:10 am

Love your humour My Luck. Bet you're a beauty,just like meself. :lol:
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Return to TRANSPORT PAST AND PRESENT