Buses

Re: Buses

Postby gingertom » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:38 pm

Rocker wrote:Go ahead bus company won a tender to operate the routes,

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consume ... -1.3182858

Competition is the thing. Dublin bus will have to step up to the plate and maybe operate on time. The lack lustre attitude, I'm listening to my radio, I'm not pulling into the pavement for you auld wans...go on jump off!, sorry missus ..only one buggy allowed...there will be another bus in an hour!, I'm on my break and you can stand in the rain for 10 minutes approach MIGHT become a thing of the past!!! somehow I doubt it.

Competition is most certainly part of the issue. The European Union is in favour of the diminution of state monopolies but in line with due regard to each members states own situation, as determined by the local National Parliament, the Dáil in our case, with concurrent European Court of Justice case law fluidic wriggle-room ability is afforded to all member states to legislate out of European Rules and this is known as a "margin of appreciation"..... (the M.O.E). Competition is generally driver of business creativity, but we must make sure that our state assets are not taken over unfairly..........Cue Toss.... ;) . hellllo
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Micheál » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:36 pm

I defy anyone to stand outside Loughlinstown or Vincents and witness droves of elderly, infirm, pregnant or young mothers with kids streaming off the buses from the current network. The vast majority arrive by private car
(or ambulance)

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby gingertom » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:57 am

Micheál wrote:I defy anyone to stand outside Loughlinstown or Vincents and witness droves of elderly, infirm, pregnant or young mothers with kids streaming off the buses from the current network. The vast majority arrive by private car
(or ambulance)

M.

Well God help us all if our leaders have a similar attitude right wing attitude like yours. I cannot wait for local elections to happen.The point is simple, this is a retrograde step in terms of public service transportation for all who have now to catch their bus from a different and somewhat distant location. The direct bus link from Sallynoggin and Ballybrack to Dublin city is to be stopped with this change.There are 'droves' outside stops beside Sallynoggin Senior College in the late afternoon and at the stop beside Power City in the morning. Yes costs are important but this change is only negative.
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby bugrock » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:56 am

I last saw my mother at that hospital, lying in a corridor, after I had gotten a bus and a train, I didn't have a car, or know anyone who did, and I couldn't afford a taxi!
I don't think for one minute that I'm alone in that situation. To think only the aged and infirm are the only one who attend hospitals is a little misguided.
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Rocker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:24 pm

bugrock wrote:I last saw my mother at that hospital, lying in a corridor, after I had gotten a bus and a train, I didn't have a car, or know anyone who did, and I couldn't afford a taxi!
I don't think for one minute that I'm alone in that situation. To think only the aged and infirm are the only one who attend hospitals is a little misguided.

Sad time Bugs scry I last saw my mother laid out in that morgue. She never wanted to go to that hospital as she had visited her dead mother there but that was where the ambulance took her on the day!

A lot of us have been lucky enough now to have a car and still be able to drive but I know loads of people who do not have access to any vehicle nor access to anyone with a car and they are on foot or on a bus.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:56 pm

gingertom wrote:.The point is simple, this is a retrograde step in terms of public service transportation for all who have now to catch their bus from a different and somewhat distant location. The direct bus link from Sallynoggin and Ballybrack to Dublin city is to be stopped with this change.There are 'droves' outside stops beside Sallynoggin Senior College in the late afternoon and at the stop beside Power City in the morning. Yes costs are important but this change is only negative.

wuu wuu
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:52 pm

Micheál wrote:-

"I defy anyone to stand outside Loughlinstown or Vincents and witness droves of elderly, infirm, pregnant or young mothers with kids streaming off the buses from the current network. The vast majority arrive by private car
(or ambulance)"

Regularly I use public transport to get from Ballybrack to - St. Vincent's - City Centre. Believe me Micheál I often see those whom you describe using the service. The bus can only take 1 pushchair, if there is then a wheelchair user the pushchair must be folded, tough if another wheelchair user wants to access the bus there is no room. Using the service to go into the city centre between 5p.m. and 6.30.p.m. it is not unusual for the bus not to pick up passengers beyond Merrion Gates because it is full, no room then for the very young or disabled.
Public Service to St. Columcille's is very infrequent, and I am unable to comment on that as I have never used it.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Toss » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:31 am

The buses are a public service, they are paid for by all of us and should not be compared to taxis or any other private enterprise. If they run half empty or empty on occasions, so what ..... they should be there running and fit for purpose. The trend for closing routes and changing numbers is down to the bean counters saying that such and such a route is too costly, well so what ? the real agenda is to try and get you to use a taxi where you basically pay more tax. Its the same scam they use in the health system .... 'oh you need a scan, well you can wait six months or go to the private clinic and get one in a few days'.

I for one, would be more than happy to see my taxes being spent on a bus service that is run properly for the people that need it most and not run to justify the existence of some administrator in an office or some Minister who has no idea what its like to miss a bus as his driver is always at the ready.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Previous

Return to TRANSPORT PAST AND PRESENT