C.B.S. Eblana Avenue

Stories from Christian Brothers School, Eblana...

Re: Weird English Language +++

Postby jabra » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:08 pm

The teacher or master as we called the lay teachers I had in second class was a Mr Haugh never remember him putting lads across his
lap but he could be as harsh as the Brothers when it came to slapping on the hands or across the face and head
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Re: C.B.S. Eblana Avenue

Postby Rocker » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:13 am

The whole regime of the 40's and 50's was beat the bejaz out of the children. The teachers and brothers had come up through the corporal punishment system and knew nothing else. I remember my cousin coming home from the masters in Blackrock and the brothers in Dún Laoghaire with tales of cruelty that would make your hair stand on end. My da who was a gentle giant took a day off once and visited the said brothers...end of beatings for the cousin.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby skins » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:37 pm

I agree, we only ever referred to the school as "The Brothers". I wonder did the "Eblana" thing develop in later years in order to distinguish it from CBC Monkstown?
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby jabra » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:50 pm

No Skins don't know when this Eblana thing crept in. I and many more moved across the Ave.to the Tech.when our time was up and the Tech was
Known simply as the Tech even though its on Eblana Ave.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby keeper » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:15 pm

Indeed ! It was the Brothers in my day and I moved to the Tech after the Inter, I wanted to be a tradesman and I needed to have done Metalwork and Woodwork to become one. CBC Monkstown got me a right bashing from Br Cunningham when I was chastised for playing Soccer or any other English games and I had the cheek to ask why the school in Monkstown played Rugby as their main sport and I couldn't play it, and they were Christian Brothers also ! BAM :cry:
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:17 pm

jabra wrote:No Skins don't know when this Eblana thing crept in. I and many more moved across the Ave.to the Tech.when our time was up and the Tech was
Known simply as the Tech even though its on Eblana Ave.

Yeah Jabra that's it I reckon. As I said my brother referred to it as Eblana but that was mid 70's and it was the tech then.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Harjoe » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:01 pm

I may be wrong but I think the Eblana thing came in in the early 1950s when they moved the secondary school to C B C Monkstown ,when I was there the only masters were Huggins , McKeown I went through Burke, Darcy, and Dobbins ,there were some stories of Condron and Burke but I never witnessed any cruelty although I got many a slap I still have a copy from 6th class which Skins will remember from Dobbins with the famous words COME UP which meant six of the best.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby jabra » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:34 pm

Harjoe as I already said I never remember the school being referred to as Eblana in the 50's maybe my memory is failing but I honestly was amazed
at the Eblana this and Eblana that even in book they brought out after the school closed Brother Dobbins referred to it as Eblana. Speaking of Dobbins
who I consider was one of the good brothers and a good teacher also, although he had his moments when he would throw the duster at you he was a
good shot too. another of his tricks was if he noticed you were not paying attention he would write a number on the blackboard and cover it with his
hand and then ask you what the number was . Well you could guess or say Don't know sir then you had to go up for the punishment. Other times he
would just hold his hand on the board with nothing written under it and ask what's the number you just couldn't win unless you were paying attention
of course. Good old classroom No.10 I think that was the room No.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby skins » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:32 pm

Yeah, Jabra, I'd forgotten that old "Lotto" trick! Your memory is certainly better than mine; was No. 10 the last classroom for 6th Class on the top floor? Dobbins would have been far and away my favourite amongst the Brothers, as you say he could have his moments, but he did have a good sense of humour, and was far more broadminded than the rest of them.
We pupils did always refer to the place as "The Brothers", but people from outside the area would sometimes ask if you meant "that place on Widow Gamble's Hill", so Eblana might have crept in just to emphasise where you were talking about.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby keeper » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:55 pm

Bro. Dobbins taught us how to play Cricket much to the annoyance of some other Bros ! He had real wickets and real cricket bats and balls, we had never seen the like before :shock: I remember thinking my hand was broken when I connected with the ball properly for the first time ! wasn't there a garden or green area below the level of the yard, seem to remember that's where he first introduced us to the game.
keeper

Postby jabra » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:07 pm

Keeper I don't remember the green area you mentioned but I think Skins you could be right about that Monkstown crowd and Eblanathe posh gits.
I bet Br. Cunningham didn't agree with Dobbins over the cricket .
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby skins » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:33 pm

Keeper, wasn't the green area below yard-level the Parish Priest's back garden? If so, it was strictly out of bounds in my time. Like Jabra I don't recall any cricket games either.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby keeper » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:11 pm

Skins,Jabra, there was a wall ran parallel to the Secondary and then parallel to the Primary school, the green was behind those walls and way below the level of the yard, I'm talking about the yard on the Sussex St side, last time I looked in they had built over it. Bro. Cunningham was most upset about the Cricket !!
keeper

Postby skins » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:23 pm

Yes, Keeper, that's the same place that I'm talking about. But the point I'm making is that it belonged to one of the priests' houses,i.e., the back garden of a private dwelling. Maybe Jabra or Denis will remember.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Harjoe » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:28 pm

Bro Dobbins was very broadminded when he taught us the English Coalfields he would rate in what division of the English football league ,you would never have heard about English football from Bro Burke or Bro Darcy both stanch G A A men don't mention soccer to them .
The green if I am not mistaken was part of the Kingstown Club but was out of bounds in my time ,I can remember looking over the wall when the caretakers daughter a little ginger haired girl was out never knew who she was and never met her after I don't think they went to the same church as us.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Zirco » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:28 pm

Tks for putting up the plan of the school Micheál, brings back memories. In the Primary schoolyard,remembering the ramp down to the lower yard, the covered play area and the jacks. I remember kids playing darts in the yard, aiming at a target on a garage door.....lots of onlookers jostling to see where the darts landed. Standing too close. Next thing....one of the onlookers ends up with a dart in his cheek! There was no panic on his part, calmly removed the dart and handed it back to the player! Tough kids back then! :lol: :lol:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby keeper » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:18 pm

Thanks lads ! I can't remember how we got access to it, I remember it was coming up to the schools athletic championships in Santry and along with running I was chosen to do the shot putt and that green was where I was shown how to throw the shot putt and where I practised, it wasn't a very well kept area of grass I recall. I have a photo of that athletics team, captain was Tom Ferris, Barry ? Blackmore, Cyril Hardiman some of the names there, and I have never seen that photo published anywhere even in the Eblana book.
keeper

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:23 pm

Yeh I remember the green the same as Skins,below yard level and totally out of bounds. Remember playing handball against the back wall but cricket in my time would have been taboo. Br. Dobbins was a good sort with a sense of humour,I think he came from the North but as you say he had his moments.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Zirco » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:48 am

keeper wrote:Bro. Dobbins taught us how to play Cricket much to the annoyance of some other Bros ! He had real wickets and real cricket bats and balls, we had never seen the like before :shock: I remember thinking my hand was broken when I connected with the ball properly for the first time ! wasn't there a garden or green area below the level of the yard, seem to remember that's where he first introduced us to the game.

Keeper, It's amazing to me that cricket was allowed in The Brothers....as Victor Meldrew would say...."I don't believe it!" :lol:
So contrary to the ethos that prevailed in the school at the time. There you go...... dontknow
Oh Jabra, I was talking to an ex-pupil of the C.B.S. today and he referred to the school as The Brothers. :lol: wuu
This particular day he was told to ' stand on your hands' as punishment. He was MORTO doing it coz he had a hole in his pants :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby keeper » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:26 am

I know it sounds unbelievable alright Zirco :P but we went up to where we played our GAA matches,where Joeys have their soccer pitches nowadays,and used to be Cuala Casement's pitches at the time. It was usually a Saturday morning or a weekday after school, we didn't play against anyone and only lasted a couple of months before the Summer break.
keeper

Postby Zirco » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:07 pm

keeper wrote:I know it sounds unbelievable alright Zirco :P but we went up to where we played our GAA matches,where Joeys have their soccer pitches nowadays,and used to be Cuala Casement's pitches at the time. It was usually a Saturday morning or a weekday after school, we didn't play against anyone and only lasted a couple of months before the Summer break.

Oh right keeper, news to me I must say. Did you enjoy playing cricket? I watch it sometimes.
We assembled for GAA games in Sallynoggin on Thursday afternoons and possibly Saturday's, not sure about Saturday.
We played football with a proper leather ball...it was way too heavy for us kids. :roll: :roll: you'd nearly break your leg trying to kick the damn thing.
We also played hurling, an unfortunate term apparently, because, in the U.S.A. 'hurling' is throwing up. :roll:
The brother would get us to run around the perimeter of the pitch carrying our hurley sticks. Well, one day, being the divil I was back then, during the warm up, I gave one of the lads a smack on the behind with my hurley. It was done in jest, but I must have been a bit heavy handed, because he started to cry. :roll: :roll: I was mortified, and spent the rest of the session expecting retribution, which never came. :roll: :roll: Mea culpa :roll: :roll:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Zirco » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:22 pm

Another guy in my class in secondary from the Noggin was Dominick McGovern. Anyone heard of him?
There was a Kinch in my class, I think from the Noggin......big guy.
There was Paddy Doyle from Highthorn and a Morris from there also. Paddy was a brain box and was numero uno in the class.
There was Sean Clifford, from Oliver Plunkett Avenue, up the top ....Terrace?.....and Ritchie Farrell from the Farm, beside the statue. His sister taught me the tin whistle. Sean became an architect. Ritchie was great....if he was annoyed with you he'd say " Ye gazebo ye". Nobody was sure what it meant at the time :D :D
There was Anto? Connolly from Glasthule. His dad had a barber shop there....lovely guy.
There was Billy Hughes from opposite McGovern's pub on Mounttown, through the gateway.
There was a big guy from the cottages opposite the train station in Dun Laoghaire, Denny Byrne. Denny engaged in fisticuffs in the classroom with one of the tyrants...in Primary 4th class...I think he was expelled temporarily.
Everyone in the class (2nd and 3rd year Sec) was ranked according to homework results. The brightest lads were up the top on the left. Or perhaps the most diligent re doing the homework would be a fairer statement. The least diligent were at the back on the right. So your physical position in the class reflected your academic prowess, so to speak.
Some bright spark of a brother decided in my first year in the Sec. that some subjects were to be taught through Irish.....aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!! As if things weren't difficult enough!!!!
So Commerce, History, Geography were taught this way.....and everyone suffered because of it. I guess my Irish improved but boy at what cost!!!
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Micheál » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:25 pm

I'd completely forgotten about being physically ranked in class seating by perceived "academic ability". Looking back, its hard to justify how the school authorites were let away with it. It cant have been encouraging to be down the queue. And I dont remember the order changing that much over the years. Maybe our academic destinies were set in stone in the very early years though I suspect the Teachers initial prejudices were slow to change ( or maybe the Jesuits were right all along " give me the child . . .")

But the really interesting thing is, in my experience, if you assembled the queue today and ranked us all according to success in life ( measure that anyway you like) , they'd just have to swivel around and face the other way.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby keeper » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Very accurate Zirco and Micheál, explains why I was a permanent resident of that back right hand corner :lol:
Of all the names you mentioned Denny Byrne is the most familiar, think he went on to be a Harbour Constable dontknow
keeper

PreviousNext

Return to C.B.S.