C.B.S. Eblana Avenue

Stories from Christian Brothers School, Eblana...

Re: C.B.S. Eblana Avenue

Postby Harjoe » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:25 pm

SKINS Tommy Conroy lived on York Terrace a little younger than us married and lived in Stradbrook died in the last year R I P played with T E K and Boro United .
I was in McKeowns class and Burkes class myself and Larry Murphy from the Farm were 1st and 2nd in the summer exam in 4th class and we were transferred to Darcys class up the Iron stairs for 5th and Dobbins for 6th I sat with Terry Johnston down the back on the 4th row in Dobbins class and Sean Barrett was in the seat in front of us I left after my 14th birthday not bothering to do the Primary Cert going to work in the Royal Marine Hotel where my father worked .
I was a year older than most so could not apply for the scholarship because I had been in hospital 1950 to 1953 I had a look at the role books and it said I had come from Cappagh Hospital which was wrong I had been in Loughlinstown which was a T B hos until 1953 when it became a General Hos I was to go to Cappagh but my father signed me out having been in bed for three years with supposed T B in the knee I came out and played football ever since.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby skins » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Thanks Denis/Harjoe. Yet another one gone.....gets depressing doesn't it?
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby jabra » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:26 pm

Yes rocker its the same Noel White Who recently retired and now we have Aldi instead of White & Delahunty.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Sinead » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:15 pm

Denis, you are right to Shea rather Eamonn Mackle for that class.
Saw Shea last night, he is looking well.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Zirco » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:46 pm

Folks, pls correct or fill in missing info where possible, thank you.... :D

Back then, in the fifties, attending The Brothers, I would sometimes stay in for dinner and sometimes I'd go home. (Dinner was a midday meal, tea was in the evening.) Depending on what day it was, along with the little bottle of milk, on offer was
brawn sandwich, hazlitt sandwich, hot cross bun, jam sandwich (my favourite) and ????? what else?, can't remember.......HELP!! :D :D
I think dinner break was from 12:30 to 1:30 or 1:45, not sure.
The Kennedys of CastleRoss was a favourite dinnertime radio programme, from 1 to 1:15. The news was on at 1:30 as I recall.
I remember there was a big Fuschia bush in a garden on York Road. Going home to the Farm, up York Road, it was just a few houses before the convent on the left side of the road. It overhung the pavement a lot....when it was in flower it provided lovely nectar to 'weary travellers'. :D :D We'd pull the flowers off and suck on them for the nectar. Nice! I wonder is the bush still there? dontknow
On display in the front window of that house or a nearby house was a huge bird's egg. It was so big it must have been an ostrich egg. I was impressed by it, being a collector 'n all. I had a small collection of eggs...blackbird, robin, thrush, wren etc. You had to remove the inside of the egg....it was called 'blowing the egg'. Make two little holes either end and blow in one end, etc. A delicate operation. :roll:
I remember being out for a ramble this day..on the Vico Road......took the path up to Killiney Hill....found the body of a little bird, a tree sparrow. :shock: :shock: I wondered why it had died and resolved to bring it home and perform an autopsy. I brought it home and assembled a few crude tools, but then I bottled it. Any thoughts of becoming a surgeon were dispelled that day. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby Rocker » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:08 pm

Zirco,

There was a currenty bun on a Wednesday and white cheesy stuff another day.
We had that at break time and went home for our dinner. I didn't have far to go as I lived around the corner from Carysfort, not good for mitching.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Zirco » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:25 pm

Rocker wrote:Zirco,

There was a currenty bun on a Wednesday and white cheesy stuff another day.
We had that at break time and went home for our dinner. I didn't have far to go as I lived around the corner from Carysfort, not good for mitching.

Yes, Tks rocker, the cheese sandwich, that's it!!! Break time sounds right for The Brothers too actually :D .
The jam sandwich was on a Friday. :lol: :lol:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:54 pm

Cheese on a Monday.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby jabra » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:00 pm

Yes forgot about the cheese on Mondays. I didn't get much of any thing as I went home for lunch all the way up to the noggin. I think the lunch break
was an hour and a half 12.30 to 2pm. I seem to remember the first to get lunch were the boys who were staying in school for lunch then the boys who's
fathers were unemployed which were quite a few In the 50's there was never much leftovers after that lot was doled out.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Zirco » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:Cheese on a Monday.

jabra wrote:Yes forgot about the cheese on Mondays. I didn't get much of any thing as I went home for lunch all the way up to the noggin. I think the lunch break
was an hour and a half 12.30 to 2pm. I seem to remember the first to get lunch were the boys who were staying in school for lunch then the boys who's
fathers were unemployed which were quite a few In the 50's there was never much leftovers after that lot was doled out.

Tks guys for helping...memory not great on this anymore. :D :D
My least favourite was the brawn, all that gelatine etc.....
I googled brawn.......mmmmmmmm...learning every day. :roll: :roll: :lol:
Head cheese or brawn is a cold cut that originated in Europe. A version pickled with vinegar is known as souse. Head cheese is not a dairy cheese, but a terrine or meat jelly made with flesh from the head of a calf or pig, or less commonly a sheep or cow, and often set in aspic.

Remember this folks?........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (26.25 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Strum » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:18 pm

Just curious Zirco, what way are you uploading photos?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Zirco » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:35 pm

Strum wrote:Just curious Zirco, what way are you uploading photos?

Ok Strum, for example, the brawn image.......
I'm using an iPad......found the brawn image on the Internet using Safari, saved the image to the 'Photos' folder on the iPad, ('Save image' command).
Re-size the saved image using a re-sizer app I got on the App Store and save it to Photos folder.
Then I upload attachment in the DLC.ie forum....choose (the re-sized) file, add file, add text, submit.
Hope this helps :D
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Zirco » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:27 am

The hazlett was ok, though it was made from pork offal...tasty. :D :lol: :lol:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (48.38 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Strum » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:10 pm

Zirco wrote:I'm using an iPad......found the brawn image on the Internet using Safari, saved the image to the 'Photos' folder on the iPad, ('Save image' command).

Thanks Zirco, I was just wondering why it had the attachment label on it, daz all. Cheers. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Helium » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:32 pm

Zirco wrote:The hazlett was ok, though it was made from pork offal...tasty. :D :lol: :lol:

Always thought it was horrible, hope they no longer make it! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Helium
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:42 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:Cheese on a Monday.

Mashed soggy Banana sandwiches I remember. The school bag and books stank of it, and pencil shavings. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby skins » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:24 pm

Yes indeed, Strum, one of those smells you never forget, along with chalk dust, inkwells, wet corduroy jackets steaming on radiators, and the smell emanating from the dustbins being burnt by school caretakers (why did they always do that?). The nicest smell I recall was that of new books at the commencement of a new school year.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby jabra » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:06 pm

Skins,
Do you remember the head brother's little office I think it was upstairs , you could get a pleasant smell from the stationery in there. It was the only pleasant smell that came out of that school.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Zirco » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:16 pm

skins wrote:Yes indeed, Strum, one of those smells you never forget, along with chalk dust, inkwells, wet corduroy jackets steaming on radiators, and the smell emanating from the dustbins being burnt by school caretakers (why did they always do that?). The nicest smell I recall was that of new books at the commencement of a new school year.

:D
jabra wrote:Skins,
Do you remember the head brother's little office I think it was upstairs , you could get a pleasant smell from the stationery in there. It was the only pleasant smell that came out of that school.

Amazing recall guys ......... notworthy
I remember the jacks were rank. :roll: :roll:
I still like the smell from a new book or magazine. :D
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby keeper » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:03 pm

Brawn day was the most dangerous day of the week :shock: most lads threw away the brawn around the yard, manys a slip and skid ensued :shock: those slices were worse than any banana skin :roll:
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:21 pm

When I was working all round maintenance/grounds man in St Josephs, one job was daily shifting the bins from the school, the steel ones with the lids, and even then years after I left school it was the same smell, rotten fruit mixed with Pencil parings and Crayons. I can smell it now. :D

These days they smell of fast food wrappers. :twisted:

P.S. It made an incredible compost heap and it all went back into the ground by the nuns for flowers and veg, and all the beds around the grounds. Great memories of working there. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby skins » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:35 pm

jabra wrote:Skins,

No, Jabra, more like the smell of raw, naked fear!
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:46 pm

skins wrote: more like the smell of raw, naked fear!

That's what got me expelled from Pres, mitching, exactly that Skins, TERROR! I just couldn't go in there, the fear walking down Eden Rd and going through the lane to the side door, death row, KNOWING I was going to get whacked for being stupid. aawhip

That's why I'm still stupid. :mrgreen:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Zirco » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:51 pm

Strum, was the orchard still there?
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Zirco » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:56 am

Back in the fifties, coming home from The Brothers one day, I noticed some kids around my age (ten or so) sitting atop a high garden wall. It was on Tivoli Terrace South I think. Something was afoot, so I climbed up there with them. The wall was around seven feet high or so, made from natural stone (local granite?) with irregular capping stones on top. This made it awkward to sit on. :(
Well, below, in the (back) garden was a middle-aged lady. She was trying to persuade one of the kids to climb down into the garden to pick a few apples from the trees there. Of course, these apple trees were raided regularly by school kids. The question in everyone's mind was
" Was she to be trusted, or was it a trick to catch us?" :roll: :roll: :roll: :?: :?: :?:
Lots of lovely apples, so tempting.....and she says it's ok, come on in......
Eventually, one kid climbed down and warily walked over towards her. :roll:
Suddenly she made a grab for him. :shock: :shock: ....he just managed to avoid her and was back up the wall like a shot. We got such a fright we all jumped off the wall in panic and ran like billyo, hearts beating like jackhammers.
Down the road, in Mounttown, I realised one leg of my short trousers had a big tear, a really big tear!!!! It must have caught on the wall when I jumped. Oh sh1t!!! BangHead BangHead BangHead
Curiously, I don't remember what happened when I got home........ dontknow dontknow :roll: :roll:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

PreviousNext

Return to C.B.S.