C.B.S. Eblana Avenue

Stories from Christian Brothers School, Eblana...

Re: C.B.S. Eblana Avenue

Postby Strum » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:08 am

Zirco wrote:Strum, was the orchard still there?

Bigtime Zirco, 1981-83 I was there. Plums, Pears, Apples, every Berry, every kind of Veg you can imagine, an amazing sustainable community they had, bless them. ;)

Sorry going off Topic.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Zirco » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:35 am

Strum wrote:
Zirco wrote:Strum, was the orchard still there?

Bigtime Zirco, 1981-83 I was there. Plums, Pears, Apples, every Berry, every kind of Veg you can imagine, an amazing sustainable community they had, bless them. ;)

Sorry going off Topic.

Very resourceful of them.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby Alan1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:34 pm

Reading about Eblana has prompted me to throw in my tuppence worth.
Who remembers the famous (or infamous!)? No 10 classroom at the end of the corridor past the stationary office?
Here is my story.
It was the summer of 1956 (I think), when I first came face to face with the brother in charge, a person we will call Bro C., someone who was an insult to the human race never mind to the christian? brothers (lower case intended).
This man was a sadist of the highest order who took delight in lining up those who didn’t give the correct answers to a particular subject, then swinging his leather down as hard as he could across your open palms (usually two on each hand). You would be unable to hold a pen for some time afterwards. He would also walk up and down the rows of desks punching you on the back of the head for no reason.
Needless to say I was always terrified going to school.
The Christmas holidays came and went. Returning to school I found that another brother had replaced this man.
First subject of the day was industries in the north of England. Came my turn, question asked, where is artificial silk manufactured, didn’t know the answer. I said to myself, ‘here if comes’ as this brother walked slowly towards me. Shut my eyes and waited for the bang on the back of the head. Brother leaned over and said in a soft voice, ‘Artificial silk is manufactured in Stockport and Macclesfield, don’t forget that, will you’.
As you can see, over 60 years later, I never did. (Got to be a moral there somewhere!).
That Brother was Dobbins.
Alan1
Stellar Member

Postby jabra » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:23 pm

As I stated in an earlier post Bro. Dobbins was by far the best teacher and human being in my five years years in the Brothers
although as I said he could have his moments he was no pusher over but a good sense of humour. I only had two brothers who
taught me in those five years himself and sadistic Bro. Cunningham. I had a Mr Haugh in 2nd. class Mr.Martin in 3rd. and again
in 5th. Cunningham in 4th. and Bro. Dobbins in 6th. I have to say the masters were not shy in dishing out punishment either.
Mr Haugh used a short stout stick for slapping hands and legs while Mr. Martin used a longer stick like the leg of a chair and
he also used his hands sometimes fists on pupils. I remember my ears ringing for a couple of days after he beat me about the
face and head and to think he was a married man with kids of his own. I'm not sure if Haugh was married. having said all that
neither was as bad as bro. Cunningham . Before he would use the leather he would tilt your fingers upwards so when the leather
came down it would connect with the tips of your fingers imagine that on a winters morning. I seen him pulling a lad around
the room by his ears until he screamed in pain. Oh yes he had a lot to answer for.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby bugrock » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:54 pm

I still remember he short stick with the knot in it.Vicious thing it was - Cunningham maybe? I forget. Then one of the masters had a half golf club stick. Another one a younger brother had washers stitched into his "official" strap. The name Mr Doody comes to mind as well - one of the good guys.
I got a hiding one day for questioning the probability of one man and one woman populating the world for thousands of years.
Oh yes, I learned a few things along the way. :lol:
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:46 am

Gosh lads I have been reading your posts. What a sad, gang of cruel men! I feel sad that our generation had to endure such callous treatment and that we had no redress. In my case I was quite vulnerable (though nowadays you'd never know) and the nuns had beaten me down so much that I allowed bully bosses in the workplace make my working life a horror story (they had been taught by the brothers and knew all the cruel tricks). I would say a lot of 60+ adults in Ireland did not fulfil their potential because they were so undermined at school.

I just though reading your posts that it would be great to be able to go to school nowadays when everything is copped. Maybe not, but, at least your parents would listen to your complaints and think you ( the child) had a right to speak up and not sit terrified in the corner!

On a lighter note...I was a good handwriter and spent hours perfecting my mother's hand and many a mitch day was spent in Seapoint covered by the apologic "sick note" :lol: :lol:
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:01 pm

Rocker wrote:.I just though reading your posts that it would be great to be able to go to school nowaday

Not sure its any better ... just different.

Years ago, no one had money and your clothes were 80% hand me downs ... but no one noticed nor cared, we were all in the same boat.
Today its ALL about the money and what you have / wear / drive as it shows your status ... they all watch each other and the green eyed monster is everywhere on f-book.

We had fear, the teachers were seen as pillars of society and most parents would not dare challenge them.... so we behaved in the classroom (well some of us anyway!)
Today, its the teachers who have the fear and the pupils can get away with anything ... all its takes is one allegation and the teacher is suspended (structure and respect are things of the past).

Back in the day, we had a handfull of school books that were passed around year on year
Today, they change a few words each year you make you buy this years book and the amount of books has trebled.

The level of expectation is our day was limited, leaving school before 15 was commonplace .... only the select few went on to a leaving cert.
Today.... nobody fails and the leaving cert has been bastardised to the point where everyone gets to pass a version of it. The school leaving age has shot up, to the point that we now have a huge percentage of twenty somethings with wall to wall certificates who not willing to get out of bed for work that they consider beneath them.

I agree that Teachers were a law onto themselves years ago and corporal punishment is not acceptable in any way, shape or form..... but today its mental cruelty and the peer pressure that is way out of control (hence suicide rates are up). I firmly believe schools need to include behaviour and attendance as key attributes recognised by 30% of the evaluation / grading system. I would also include class work as a key element of any assessment whilst cutting the old two hour exam system to 40% of the marks available.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby bugrock » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:41 pm

Very well addressed,Toss hellllo
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Harjoe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Bro Dobbins was by far the best teacher in Eblana ,I had him in 5th and 6th was the only brother who taught English geography and coalmines through its football teams ,although when I started I was a year behind the rest of the boys through being in hospital, I went from Mr McKeown's under the stairs to Bro Burke in room 4 and when myself and Larry Murphy (R I P) were first and second in the exams we moved up to the scholarship class up the iron stars to Bro Darcy who was a G A A man through and through I did not play on any of the teams but was known as a soccer man ,Darcy was stern but fair you got your slaps when thing went wrong, the fact that I was too old to sit the scholarship exam I still stayed in that class until we went to Dobbins who was hard but very fair his favorite thing was when he corrected your essays or homework and you had spellings wrong he would write 'COME UP ' on your copy which meant the slaps ,I still have my Irish copy there are more come ups on it than Irish writing but in fairness Dobbins was good egg,Bro Burke and Bro Darcy was very hard with some of the boys but there were others who were a lot more violent and when I was 14 in March of 1957 I left the following Friday not even bothering to do the Primary Cert and have survived .
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Micheál » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:50 pm

Harjoe wrote: . . . and have survived .

I dare say you've done far more than just survived Harjoe. The irony is - I've learned more from you and others on this site about the important things in this life than in all my years in formal education under the Brothers.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:08 am

Micheál wrote:
Harjoe wrote: . . . and have survived .

I dare say you've done far more than just survived Harjoe. The irony is - I've learned more from you and others on this site about the important things in this life than in all my years in formal education under the Brothers.

M.

Micheál, I am with you there. wuu wuu
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:02 pm

I have to say I was never unduly beaten or punished in school. This could be because my parents
always listened to us children. When I was about 5 or 6 I had no money for the black baby box and
was told bring it in after lunch - asked my Dad for the money at lunch time, his response was
'tell that nun there are enough white babies in this town need help'. I gave the message in the
afternoon and was considered cheeky so my Dad was sent for, he told the nun he had said it and
it was the truth, the nuns had no idea what was going on in the town the Dominicans were an
enclosed order at that time.
My three brothers all went to Eblana, I never heard them complain, one went into Guinness at a
young age, the next went to CBC Monkstown on a Scholarship and the third went to the Secondary
in Eblana Ave.
I finished in the Convent in 7th Class and went to the Tech, I was too young to go after 6th Class.
Like most others on this site I grew up with 'cop on' it can't be bought or taught. Tech for 2 years
then out to work.
In the 1990's I was accepted onto a Law course in DIT but circumstances prevented me from \
completing the 4 years.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Previous

Return to C.B.S.