Good Friday

Easter, Chringemas, Birthdays, Anniversaries...

Good Friday

Postby Holla » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:14 pm

Do you think they should be allowed sell alcohol or open the pubs on Good Friday.what about the pubs that do food is it fair the have to shut shop for the day for a rule that go's back to 1927 ,remember the days when the day trippers would pile onto the boat to Hollyhead and fall off it on the return trip pi##ed out of their heads I know its only one day well along with Christmas day. personally I think alcohol should be sold and up to the individual themselves if they wish to abstain and observe the religious aspect of the day.....Don't forget your hot cross buns.
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Good Friday

Postby Toss » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:51 pm

I have no issue with alcohol being sold, as you say its up to individuals to choose to buy it or not.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:27 pm

Toss wrote:I have no issue with alcohol being sold, as you say its up to individuals to choose to buy it or not.

I agree with Toss on this one Holla.
At the same I dont think anyone will die from lack of gargle for one day -
a good day to get out and explore the 'boro :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:44 pm

I.m all for keeping Good Friday. I am not religious but appreciate the fact that Ireland is a Catholic country and it is important to observe some modicum of religion. It actually gives us time to reflect and ensures that maybe the men will be at home on the day!....remember that is why the Holy hour was brought in!!I would hate to be part of a total secular state.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Dancer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:02 pm

I'm all for keeping Good Friday as well! I would consider myself a Christian as I do have faith in a Higher Power
but I'm also a Traditionalist and it has become even more important to me as I get older. Surely we can get by
for two days of the year .....can't we???
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Sinead » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:38 pm

I too would be for keeping Good Friday and Christmas Day.
I am a practising Catholic and it drives me mad to hear this
week being referred to as Easter Week. This is Holy Week
and Saturday 19th is HOLY SATURDAY, 26th is EASTER SATURDAY.
I have written to Lidl about their misuse of these weeks.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby grammer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:52 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You will not be able to get into the local supermarkets or off licences on Thursday -people struggling out with trolley loads of gargle -You would think there was going to be a world shortage or prohibition was on it's way. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby keeper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:33 pm

Agreed Grammer, you would think the end of the world was upon us :(
Micheál used to keep us posted as to when the World would end, so no news is good news :lol:
What is with the Paddies ? Even in my younger days you could suddenly become a " resident " in some of the local hotels on Good Friday and drink in the residents bar till all hours !!! I used to visit my rural relations on Good Friday and during the Stations of The Cross it would be nudge nudge wink wink about getting into the pubs afterwards, the back doors would be on latch and lads would "disappear " off the street !! Then they would claim it was the best pint of the year !! and these were people that would only normally go to the pub on a Sunday dontknow
keeper

Postby Micheál » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:13 pm

"What Keeper calls the end of the world the Glenageary Guru calls a butterfly. "

Glenageary Guru
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby keeper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:26 pm

" Cowboy Ted " :shock: :shock: this Guru :evil: Pray enlighten us GG as to what a Butterfly has to do with the End :?: come to think of it, I saw a wasp today, does that mean anything oh Great One :twisted:
Off Topic :? :? Drink, I need one, it's nearly Good Friday :lol: :lol:
keeper

Postby grammer » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:10 am

keeper wrote:Agreed Grammer, you would think the end of the world was upon us :(
Micheál used to keep us posted as to when the World would end, so no news is good news :lol:
What is with the Paddies ? Even in my younger days you could suddenly become a " resident " in some of the local hotels on Good Friday and drink in the residents bar till all hours !!! I used to visit my rural relations on Good Friday and during the Stations of The Cross it would be nudge nudge wink wink about getting into the pubs afterwards, the back doors would be on latch and lads would "disappear " off the street !! Then they would claim it was the best pint of the year !! and these were people that would only normally go to the pub on a Sunday dontknow

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
keeper never a truer word have you spoken 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Toss » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:20 pm

This whole no drink thing is a joke ..... from todays paper :

If you're so inclined, you can buy a rail ticket and sit in a station such as Connolly in Dublin, Plunkett in Waterford or MacDiarmada in Sligo and you'll be sold alcohol.

Alcohol can also be sold at a licensed theatre, the National Concert Hall or a national cultural institution, as defined in the National Cultural Institutions Act 1997.

Rugby fans heading to the Leinster v Treviso clash at the RDS will be able to enjoy a tipple.

Those attending a race meeting or a greyhound trial can be supplied with alcohol, as can those staying in licensed premises, such as a hotel, as long as it is with a meal.

And the one-day Barn Dance festival on the grounds of Charles Stewart Parnell's ancestral home in Co Wicklow has a "bring your own beer" policy.

It can also be sold in a military canteen and a club can be provided with authorisation to sell alcohol for six hours on Good Friday.

In 2008, Judge Mary Fahy said prosecuting restaurants which offered wine with meals on Good Friday was "ludicrous" in today's world. During a hearing in Galway district court, she decided not to record convictions against nine Galway city restaurants that had done this.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Holla » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:42 pm

Its not only about alcohol,what about eating meat on good Friday how many of you will abstain. and what about if you wanted to cut the grass or paint the front door who wont do these jobs,sure maybe woodies and the butcher should shut shop on good Friday dontknow
Holla

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:53 pm

Holla wrote:Its not only about alcohol,what about eating meat on good Friday how many of you will abstain. and what about if you wanted to cut the grass or paint the front door who wont do these jobs,sure maybe woodies and the butcher should shut shop on good Friday dontknow

:lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:21 pm

Holla,

You are winding us up now!!!! Many years ago I was cutting the front garden grass on a Sunday and a craw thumping neighbour came over to me to remonstrate with me....I smiled politely and said " Sure I have to cut the grass on Sunday as it is the only day I have off....I thought a good christian like you might have cut it for me during the week...but as you didn't I have to do it meself....big smile
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Navanman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:51 pm

I seem to remember some years back the local County Council offices were open on Good Friday but did close for a couple of hours so the staff could attend the Stations of the Cross. These days the Council simply closes for the whole day as far as I know.

Somehow I doubt if many of them come into town for "the Stations". Sorry I forgot they might now get the whole day off as part of the reward for the improved productivity under "the Croke Park Agreement" - silly me.

NM
Navanman

Postby Sinead » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:56 pm

Keeper, Good Friday is a Bank Holiday, e.g. it only applies to
Banks. Most other employees were allowed off work at about
1.00.p.m. so they could attend The Stations of the Cross.
With misuse of English, Public Holidays are incorrectly called
Bank Holidays - May Day, St. Stephen's Day, etc.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby bugrock » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:16 am

What a carry on. All these rules and laws about Christianity which came about 600 years after Christ. Good Friday, Stations of The Cross. etc. We have long strayed from the one RULE given to us by The Man in sandals: LOVE ONE ANOTHER!
nothing can add or detract from that. And would you look at the gold churches and gold vestments. Let 'em all wear sandals and follow in in HIS footsteps
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Rocker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:30 am

bugrock wrote:What a carry on. All these rules and laws about Christianity which came about 600 years after Christ. Good Friday, Stations of The Cross. etc. We have long strayed from the one RULE given to us by The Man in sandals: LOVE ONE ANOTHER!
nothing can add or detract from that. And would you look at the gold churches and gold vestments. Let 'em all wear sandals and follow in in HIS footsteps

Ah...there is the rub...better to shroud the silly church in niggly rules than love anyone
....that is the most difficult ...Glenageary Guru will have to mind his job with the Aussie Prophet around.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Return to HOLIDAYS AND FESTIVITIES