Holiday Memories

Easter, Chringemas, Birthdays, Anniversaries...

Re: Holiday Memories

Postby farmboy » Wed May 05, 2010 8:15 pm

Ah denis, you,re only trying to make us poor plebs jealous with all that blue sky. :evil: Great photos all the same. :)
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Wed May 05, 2010 8:31 pm

farmboy wrote:Ah denis, you,re only trying to make us poor plebs jealous with all that blue sky.

Says you just back from Paradise...even if were raining. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby farmboy » Wed May 05, 2010 8:41 pm

Raining? Noah,s Ark woulda come in handy! :cry: ;)
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Wed May 05, 2010 9:31 pm

farmboy wrote:Raining? Noah,s Ark woulda come in handy! :cry: ;)

They found it a few days ago in Turkey...
Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu May 06, 2010 8:57 am

Yeh Strum I thought it was a statue,it was only when I noticed people gathering around that I realised it was a bloke. He was really,really good.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:36 pm

Snowhite's honeymoon destination reminds me of my own. We went to Preston, now there's luxury, and we spent our honeymoon night in Warrington rail station. We sailed on the 8.45 boat arrived in Holyhead at about midnight,arrived in Warrington at 2am connecting train Preston not till 6.30am. Nowhere open and only for the goodness of a rail worker who brought us down to their canteen and gave us some tea and biscuits, we 'd have perished, a real gent it was 27 Dec. We stayed in the brothers house, while he was over here, and of course brains here couldn't work the heating but we found another way to keep warm ;) I set fire to me brand new Tailorfit trousers,with the raised seam and vent at the bottom, (Dapper Dan or what )on the first night. Talk about having the hots when the good lady reminds me of our honeymoon she smiles and says I use to be a hot bit of stuff and she emphasises the use to be. :) But how the wheel has turned we're heading to the Caribbean tomorrow for a 9day cruise. There are Hurricanes there at the moment so not sure how things will work out. I'll let you know how I get on and hopefully post a few photos.
Denis Cromie

Postby jordo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:13 pm

Have a great holiday D C, looking forward to the photos.
jordo

Postby Strum » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Haha great story Denis. Enjoy your holiday. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby farmboy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:31 pm

Hope all goes well for you denis, we tried a cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary 6 years ago last September. Drove to the airport at 4 30/ 5 00 am on a Friday and werent long there when our names were called out over the tanoy. Turns out theres a hurricane in Florida and a chance that the cruise will be cancelled but we venture on to London anyway. Stay in a mate,s house that night and out for a few drinks with them. Next morning we are about to board a flight for Dallas (the airport in Florida is closed) when her mobile rings to tell us that the cruise has defenitely been cancelled. So instead, we board a flight for Dublin and arrive back home some 36 hours after we left there...what a downer. All we could get was a week in one of the Canaries, not quite the same thing. Havent tried since and New Zealand beckons next March but never say never.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Snowhite » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:07 am

Denis Cromie wrote:Snowhite's honeymoon destination reminds me of my own. We went to Preston, now there's luxury, and we spent our honeymoon night in Warrington rail station. We sailed on the 8.45 boat arrived in Holyhead at about midnight,arrived in Warrington at 2am connecting train Preston not till 6.30am. Nowhere open and only for the goodness of a rail worker who brought us down to their canteen and gave us some tea and biscuits, we 'd have perished, a real gent it was 27 Dec. We stayed in the brothers house, while he was over here, and of course brains here couldn't work the heating but we found another way to keep warm ;) I set fire to me brand new Tailorfit trousers,with the raised seam and vent at the bottom, (Dapper Dan or what )on the first night. Talk about having the hots when the good lady reminds me of our honeymoon she smiles and says I use to be a hot bit of stuff and she emphasises the use to be. :) But how the wheel has turned we're heading to the Caribbean tomorrow for a 9day cruise. There are Hurricanes there at the moment so not sure how things will work out. I'll let you know how I get on and hopefully post a few photos.

The start of my honeymoon would have been much the same as yours Dennis.....off on the boat to Holyhead while our guests were still having a grand old time at our reception :( we were stuck in Crewe till the early hours in a cold miserable waiting room, but we did fall asleep and woke to see 4 very colourfully dressed coloured guy's all about 6ft tall staring at us ( I was scared stiff....coz in the 70's it wasn't very common over here to see so many coloured people at the one time :oops:) anyway they never bothered us, and we eventually got our train to Leeds and my uncle picked us up. My aunt n uncle gave us their room for the week ............and the rest is history. :lol:

Have a fantastic holiday, looking forward to your photo's.
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Denis Cromie » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:26 am

Thanks folks will do. I'm half expecting, due to the hurricanes, that the cruise will be cancelled,but we'll give it a go.
Denis Cromie

Postby Harjoe » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:22 pm

Enjoy your trip Dennis
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Sinead » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:45 pm

Denis:

Hope you do get on the cruise, it's a great way to holiday but you either love it or hate it, there is no half measure. Carribean may be a bit disappointing for you, all the islands sort of merge - T Shirts/Jewellery/Handbags/Perfume being the thing in each and every one of them. If you can get a taxi to take you out of the docking area, you will see a wonderland at a quarter the price of the 'Excursions'

Went on my first cruise in 1973 and have never fallen out of love with it. We (2 adults + 3 kids) left for London to spend a few days with one of my brothers before the cruise, we called into the Shipping Office just for the heck of it to be told they were looking for us, the ship had burst her boiler and wasn't sailing. We had the choice of passage on anything out of GB that day or a cruise with Shaw Savill later in the year. We opted for later in the year and instead of a 7 day cruise we got 21 days for the same price. In those days you had to 'apply for passage' you couldn't just walk in and book a train took you from London to Southampton, a brass band played at every departure! Every ship displayed a passenger list together with nationality, you also used cash on board. The other half looked very prosperous with 2 dress suits, we were going to the tropics so a white jacket was needed, he had to keep the jackets shut so that 'Tangos Dress Hire Fownes Street' didn't show.

Look forward to your photos and comments.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Thanks Sinead. Having a great time and took your advice. We're in Antigua today and we had a great trip around the island. The first day we were on the sea travelling to St. Lucia,it was a 36 hour journey. I went up on deck to see the entrance to the harbour and I saw this boat approaching, the first letters I spotted were PI and I immediately thought OMG this is the Caribbean and these are pirates. So I alerted the Captain and she took me aside and explained to me that its not a Pirate ship its the Pilots. She asked me was I Irish and at this stage I realised how stupid I was so I said yes I'm from Sallynoggin, well I couldn't let the old Town down now, could I. :lol: Hope to post some photos when I come back,thats if I dont lose me camera.
Denis Cromie

Postby Sinead » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:17 pm

Thank God you are well and enjoying the holiday Denis. Yesterday on the news we were shown a Carnival Cruiser being towed into San Diago with 4000 unhappy passengers. Some systems had failed and there was no hot food, light, water etc. Hoped you weren't aboard that one. Who are you sailing with?

Slan
Sinead
Sinead

Postby jordo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:33 pm

HAHAHA, nice one D C. Glad you are having a good time. Beside the weather the 'she' would be a source of worry for me. We were coming back from somewhere and the captain introduced his co pilot as Ms someone or other and it would be she who was taking control of the flight. It's funny how the prayers of your childhood come flooding back word for word in situations like that :lol:
jordo

Postby Sinead » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:45 pm

Jordo, are you being sexist? My husband was drooling over a female Coast Guard in Seattle some years ago.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead

Postby jordo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:33 pm

Seattle!!! sure that's over 50 miles from the sea, proper place for a female Coast Guard I suppose. Your hubby wasn't drooling, he was staring in amazement, she probably had a little bucket and spade with her and all :roll: :lol:

HAHAHA, could you imagine her first day in work "Stand at them traffic lights and let's know when a boat passes" :D :D :D
jordo

Postby Sinead » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Ah Jordo, you are a 'speedy gonzales' I am loging on to correct my error and you have already been on correcting me. I did meant to say San Diago, my mind was racing ahead of my fingers, we were with friends from Seattle on that trip. I'll have to follow Strum's advise and check my posts before submitting.
You did not answer my question!
Slan
Sinead
Sinead

Postby jordo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:46 pm

I wasn't correcting you Sinéad because I thought you were serious, Seattle IS the proper place for a woman coast guard, they can't do any harm there. They probably send a few to the likes of the Mojave Desert as well :D :D :D
jordo

Postby Strum » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:41 pm

I'm off to seattle down for the night. :D

Oop's a typo there, sorry. :mrgreen:
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:48 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:40 pm

Just leaving St. Maarten today had another great day. We're sailing with Royal Caribbean and no problems apart from the Pirates. Our lady captain, and with her now increased knowledge of Sallynoggin, is doing a great job. See you all next week. :D
Denis Cromie

Postby farmboy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:30 pm

One careful lady owner....... :? :)

farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:12 am

DC wrote
She asked me was I Irish and at this stage I realised how stupid I was so I said yes I'm from Sallynoggin, well I couldn't let the old Town down now, could I.

Im keeping a close watch on you pal :D :D :D :D :D
you D/L lads were always the same -
so I'll be keeping a close eye on Sky news and CNN news

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ps what ever you do dont touch anything :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ask first :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

PreviousNext

Return to HOLIDAYS AND FESTIVITIES