Holiday Memories

Easter, Chringemas, Birthdays, Anniversaries...

Re: Holiday Memories

Postby Holla » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:42 pm

Wow Rocker that sound great,a real eye opener I'm mad jealous ,I'm off now to check me lotto numbers then I will PM you to get the info on where to go about booking all this :D glad you enjoyed yourself you were missed around here.
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby jaytee » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Thats a great account of you trip Rocker, The Nuns taught you well reeeing
jaytee

Postby Micheál » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi Rocker,

Sounds superb. I'm off to Google Maps - then Trip Advisor

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Snowy,

HID took a lot of effort researching and buying books and maps in Easons but put together a great itinerary. Six friends joined us and Trailfinders made what they call a bespoke itinerary with their agent in Vietnam. We had a guide and coach at each city/town and for the tours and that made it so much easier.So many people make an effort to speak English they made it so easy for us.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Navanman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Rocker
Thats my type of holiday. Sounds really interesting. Can't wait for the photos.

NM
Navanman

Postby farmboy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:49 pm

Sounds like a trip of a lifetime Rocker, the photos will bring it all to life for us.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:22 pm

Rocker that sounds like the holiday of a lifetime you were on
look forward to your photos.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Jemser » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:51 pm

Rocker, thanks for the excellent description of your southeast Asia adventure. You have certainly whetted my appetite to go there, I have wanted to see the temples of Ankor Wat for many years. Now I will have to add Vietnam to the bucket list also. I really enjoyed visiting Thailand a few years ago, but now you have renewed my interest in that area, I shall return. Maybe next year, this year is already booked up. Thanks agian Rocker.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Gulliver » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:22 pm

I've done some of those trips along the west coast of Italy. Tell you what - you'd need to have your wallet close by and a tight hold on any belongings. I've watched the local police shepherd known pickpockets on to the train - anything to get them out of our town, and they just move on to the next station. I've watched them attempt to distract tourists while they pick pockets - and I've saved a couple of tourists from such a fate.
Come to think of it, HID had an attempted picking of handbag while getting on the No 7 bus coming from town today.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Holla » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:33 pm

Gulliver wrote:I've done some of those trips along the west coast of Italy. Tell you what - you'd need to have your wallet close by and a tight hold on any belongings. I've watched the local police shepherd known pickpockets on to the train - anything to get them out of our town, and they just move on to the next station. I've watched them attempt to distract tourists while they pick pockets - and I've saved a couple of tourists from such a fate.
Come to think of it, HID had an attempted picking of handbag while getting on the No 7 bus coming from town today.

I saw some of the pickpockets in action in rome,they were as young as 10 or 12 I saved on young girls ruck sack from getting diped by one of these "kids"she had her ear phones on and was walking along in a bit of a dream and here's yourman scurrying along behind her like a little rat with his hand in her bag,you can never be carefull enough.
Holla

Postby Micheál » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:27 am

Saw them in action in Rome too - on the underground. a dozen of them surrounded a middle-aged tourist and dipped her. right in front of my nose. I only copped what was happening when the tourist fled at the next exit and the little scumbags threw her emptied wallet out the window after her.

Wouldn't be rushing back to Rome (for lots of reasons).

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:30 am

Was dipped myself in Madrid.

This time the perpetrators were much more educated. They could read the label on my forehead ("gobshite") and knew to go for wallet in my jacket with a considerable amount of cash I was carrying for entertaining business guests.

Would still go back though

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Snowhite » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:49 am

Rocker wrote:Snowy,

HID took a lot of effort researching and buying books and maps in Easons but put together a great itinerary. Six friends joined us and Trailfinders made what they call a bespoke itinerary with their agent in Vietnam. We had a guide and coach at each city/town and for the tours and that made it so much easier.So many people make an effort to speak English they made it so easy for us.

Sounds great to me, we did a guided tour in America a few years back, we were very lucky, our guide was a History teacher from Texas, and the info he gave us was priceless, small things but they made the Trip for us. 15 days, 9 hotels, and countless places we visited.
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Rocker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:16 pm

Gawd,

All the talk of dipping abroad makes me remember Paris. A few years ago we were in Paris and we regularily take the train from the airport to the city. There was an Aer Lingus strike and we were stranded so we had to go back and forward to the airport for updates. We got to see a gang up close and personal operating such a professional robbery. A group of three to four well dressed businessmen would get into a carriage and sit near businessmen with laptops and cases etc. As the train approached a station one of them would engage him in a conversation at the same time thief number two would camely take the case or the laptop and get off the train. When the unwitting tourist realised the others would be so "helpful". When we had seen this for about three times the thiefs recognised us and thought we were "something". I went to interject at one of the robberies and the fellow beside me drew out a nasty blade and I knew he would kill me!!!...the first time in my life I saw naked venom!!! I sat down. In the intervening years we have seen them again. I know the police probably know them but, beware on that train and wrap the handles of all your bags tightly and don't be distracted.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby skins » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Jaze Lads, d'yiz ever stay at home?
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Rocker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:47 pm

Not if we can help it :lol:

now get out the violins!!! my mother and father never got a holiday and our big holiday when we were kids was to play in Blackrock Park or the sea and get a trip once a year on the train to Killiney to eat "sand"wiches on the beach. When I got to work I decided there was a world out there and come hell or high water I was going to see every last bit of it. I have been scrimping the pennies ever since and with me bit of redundancy and God's help hope to keep going till there is nothing left under the matress!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Some years ago in Prague two robbers attempted to relieve HID and I of some money but
being a street wise pair we sensed a change in the robbers and we ended up with their
money! You can't get the better of a Dub and a Dun Laoghaireite.
We know a person who lectures on the dangers of pickpockets, he advises police etc on
how to spot them. Anyway to cut a long storey short he was filming in Italy and was
so good at picking them out the robbers offered him a job.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Strum » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:26 pm

Sinead wrote:Some years ago in Prague two robbers attempted to relieve HID and I of some money but
being a street wise pair we sensed a change in the robbers and we ended up with their
money!

Go on, tellus....:D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Navanman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:58 pm

Absolutely - tell us Sinead.

NM
Navanman

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Yeh love to hear how you managed that Sinead. whip Sounds like you had a great holiday Rocker We were on holiday in Rome some years ago and would you believe we stayed in a Convent,they did B&B on the side and it was great.Anyway on the first day the nun who looked after the B&B told us if we are travelling on the Metro we should face each other in that way we could see anyone who would be trying to relieve us of our few bob.And it worked so whenever we travel on crowded trains or buses we remember the nun's advice. hellllo
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Sinead » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:38 pm

We were staying in a hotel just outside Prague and decided to go in on the Metro.
Won't bore you with the fun that was. In Wensislaus Square we were approached
by two men offering to change currency showing us a roll of money they had. We
said o.k. and told them we had Hungarian money. HID held our money and I
don't know what alerted us but I grabbed the robber, HID grabbed the money
and the two men ran away.
Two English teachers had joined us on this jaunt they stood opened mouthed
as this episode unfolded. We enjoyed a drink on the robbers money.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Navanman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:32 pm

Brilliant Sinead - ye mugger ye

Would have loved to see that.

When the children were small we were strolling around the Big Ben area of London one Sunday afternoon. At the time all the shops used close in the UK on a Sunday. A woman came of of a small shop screaming "Help me, Help me" or something like that. We looked over and this guy was swinging around with the woman hanging out of him. They wer ejust feet away from us. I had no idea what was going on (I know it seems stupid now) but a lady about 80 went over and started lashing the guy with her handbag. At the same time a guy about 40? came over and grabbed the guy as well. The robber was totally spaced out and staring with real glaced eyes into nowhere really. It all happened in seconds but seemed like minutes. Afterwards I could not believe I just stood there and watched. Apparently there is a word for it (not coward) and it is quite common. I was absolutely flabargasted at how quick the whole thing was and still to this day I don't know why I did not help her. Often wonder if I saw it again now would I react the same.

I know this is not a holiday memory but some years ago I was driving through Ballyfermot and saw a car overtaking another car and pull in in front of the first car to block it. I had to stop my car to avoid them. A guy jumped out of the overtaking car before it stopped and fell causing him to roll along the road. He jumped up and ran back to the car that had been overtaken and proceeded to reach in and throw stuff out of the car onto the road. My first reaction was that the car that had been overtaken must have hit somebody and was running away. It actually took me a few moments to realise the guy was robbing the car that had been overtaken. There were 2 guys that sweep the roads less than 10 feet away standing there holding shovel and brush and they stood looking as well. I fumbled around looking for a pen to write down the number of the car and the guys description but could not find a bloody pen anywhere in the car. Went straight up to Ballyfermot police station and do you think I could remember the number. It turns out they had just robbed the takings from the West County Pub. Again it happened in seconds.

Saw 2 others as well but will not take up any more space here.

NM
Navanman

Postby bugrock » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:07 am

The "Lads" held up the Post Office just down the road from me. They jumped in the stolen car and shot down the road to escape. Criminals usually aren't known for great intelligence, and these were no different. The escape route was the only road out and headed for for a dead end tugboat pier. Swim with the sharks or give up -- idiots. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Micheál » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:44 am

I witnessed a massive heist last December 12 months. Bigger even that the "National Bank withdrawal".

A group of pensioners were relieved of a considerable sum of money in Kildare Street. €460M as I recall. I managed to grap a photo of the perpetrator but I dont think he got caught yet.

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby bugrock » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:42 am

OH, Micheal, I don't think that lad woud apreciate you having his picture. At the same time it's good that you do, in the hope he may be caught yet. Personally my biggest grievance is against grafitti artists who murder the soul of our communities. (How did this get into holiday memories? - bugger!)
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

PreviousNext

Return to HOLIDAYS AND FESTIVITIES