Holiday Memories

Easter, Chringemas, Birthdays, Anniversaries...

Holiday Memories

Postby grammer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:34 pm

Hi all please post anything to do with holidays here :dinner: :dinner: :shots:
grammer

Postby grammer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:49 pm

who wants to be first?????? :D :D
grammer

Postby Strum » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:14 pm

What are Holidays anyway? :mrgreen:
Strum
Administrator

Re: Holiday Memories

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:00 pm

grammer wrote:Hi all please post anything to do with holidays here :dinner: :dinner: :shots:

Is it possible to transfer Stargazer's and Sinéad's advice to this. If so it would be great as the advice is so helpful and is the type of comment on Hols that I had in mind. :???:
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby KellyKid » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:14 pm

We went to Butlins in Mosney three or four years on the trot when we were kids, probably sometime in the late 70’s.
My father usually had to borrow a car for the week and we would load up everything but the kitchen sink before heading off on the mammoth journey to County Louth.
Its only 28miles from Blackrock to Mosney but somehow it seemed to take hours to get there with the obligatory stop off for a cup of tea (from a Thermos at the side of the road) and to top-up the radiator.
The journey was usually punctuated with the Da shouting at us four kids (without seat belts mind you) in the back to “stop shouting” –“ leave your brother/sister alone” – “close that window” – “who’s got their feet in the back of my seat?” – “don’t have me to pull over” and “I’ll turn this car around if there’s any more messing”.
Eventually we would arrive at our destination and my Dad would go and collect the keys – more often than not he would instruct us to leave the stuff in the car while we “go and have a look at the place first”.
Off we marched across the golf course (health and safety how are you!) and into the chalet – if it didn’t come up to scratch we were marched back to the office to demand a transfer. They must have loved my Da because they always gave us a dodgy chalet first and after he complained we would be given the best available. I think it took longer to check in and get settled than it did to drive there in the first place.
After that it was happy days all round and we had the run of the place as everything was enclosed within the complex and everything was free. One of my abiding memories is sitting in Dan Lowerys or the restaurant watching the swimmers through the large plate glass windows many of who didn’t know we could see them, which led to some interesting sights!!!
Every evening there was some form of competition in the ballroom “Glamorous Granny”, “Miss Butlins”, “Bonny Baby”, “Knobbly Knees” – innocent times.
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain.
KellyKid

Postby KellyKid » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:19 pm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

The best place to get information on any hotel you are thinking of booking.

If you type the name of your hotel into Google with the word review after it you will usually get a link to a tripadvisor review.

http://www.skyscanner.ie/

Another great site for getting cheap flights - you can even see what is the cheapest time of year to fly to any destination in the world.
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain.
KellyKid

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:54 pm

Thanks KK they'll be very helpful'
Denis Cromie

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:58 pm

*stargazer* wrote:
Denis Cromie wrote:
Me and the Good lady are heading to Lisbon on the 11th March for a long weekend any advice re places to go,things to see and places to eat would be most welcome.

Been a few years since I was there, you are in for a treat. You can take the 'Dart' along the coast to Cascais (about the same distance as the City to Dun Laoghaire) The train goes along the coast just like our Dart and the views of the sea there are great. It goes past Estoril and into Cascais, beautiful place, and walk to Bocca de' Inferno just outside Cascais. Some nice fish restaurants along the beach between Cascais and Estoril, BUT be careful, 'cos they charge you for the weight of the fish before they cook it!!!! (It's pronounced 'CASHKISE' by the way) Tell your lady NOT to wear heels as all the streets are cobbled. Go to see the Castle in Lisbon itself as the views of the city from there are amazing. Visit the old town but be ready for a climb as the street are all quite steep, but you will get so distracted by all the little houses and shops and bars along the narrow streets that you won't feel the climb up to the castle. The City is on hills but you can get a funicular up to the higher parts, as my son said, one of those 'crooked' trains, or there is a huge iron lift off the main street to the higher levels. You will see the bridge there that is almost identical to the Golden Gate bridge and I think its probably a wee bit longer. If you get time its well worth visiting a place called Sintra, a little village up in the mountains not too far away. If you are driving, go from there up to the Pink Palace, a Moorish casle built I think in the 14th century, they even had a harem in it.Its a twisty,winding drive, so be careful. There are taxis in the village to take you there otherwise. Be very careful driving along the Estoril Coast Road as its one of the most dangerous roads in Europe. We almost came to a bad spill along there. There is a beautiful shopping centre in Lisbon. Places to eat I'm out of touch with as its been so long since I was there, and we had Portuguese friends who knew where to take us, but mostly, the usual rule of go up little side streets, and look to where the locals eat and not the tourists. We used to go for Christmas and the weather was quite mild, only needed a cardi over the shoulders in the evenings.
As I think of more things, I will put them here... you will have the best time, believe me.

You're a treasure Stargazer. That info will make the Break all the more enjoyable
Denis Cromie

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Denis:

Don't buy Vintage Port, it will cost you an arm and a leg. It is cheaper outside Portugal. If you do eat in a local bar, I mean one that is not a tourist place, you will get a good port at a reasonable price. The locals rarely drink it. If you get enough of this drink you might even end up with gout!

Enjoy your trip, it is a beautiful city. When I first visited Lisbon they were in the thros of the revolution, it was the most civilised one I have ever seen.

Slan
Sinead
Denis Cromie

Re: Holiday Memories

Postby Strum » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:17 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:
Is it possible to transfer Stargazer's and Sinéad's advice to this. If so it would be great as the advice is so helpful and is the type of comment on Hols that I had in mind. :???:

Yes, and good on ya for copy/pasting the info over, but the ladies would need to go to the original post and copy and post it to here under their own usernames (if they wanted) then we can delete the original posts in the other topic.
It's one a few limitations that Admin can do here and that's to move an individual post into to another topic with the username of the poster, if you follow?
Staying on topic helps always, although I do understand it's almost impossible sometimes not to follow a conversation that leads to another, but in that case it's no bother to start new topics about anything.

Something like that. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby *stargazer* » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:47 pm

Great job, Strum, that's better....... :razz:
*stargazer*

Postby Strum » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:51 pm

I was on the Algarve once, just one of those resort places, Abufeira (spelling?) and ummmm not somewhere I'd ever go again.
It was full of pubs with English Football on TV, Full English Breakfast on the Menu etc etc...ye wit me. :D

But the local people were REALLY nice and friendly and polite and the GALLON of Wine for 65p was, well what can I say. :D
And if you brought the empty container back you got the next one for about 45p. :D

One day I Bussed and hitchhiked to a place called Oporto where I bought a bottle of Port for a Souvenir but I was sipping it whilst walking around the place looking at amazing Architecture and stuff.
Then I was on a different planet. I had never drunk port before pheweeeee!
I left the town to hitch back, walked a few miles and got a lift off nothing less than a German Airforce Pilot driving a Red Ferrari.

Straight up, back to the resort in no time! :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby *stargazer* » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:42 am

The Algarve and Lisbon are worlds apart !!!!!
*stargazer*

Postby grammer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 am

:D :D :D :D
have to say apart from the US -Portugal and Malta are my favourites
jaaaaz nearly forgot :oops: :oops: :oops:

ohhh also the south of England --Devon
cos my eldest son and daughter in law live there :D :D :D
grammer

Postby Jacqui » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:07 pm

My sister lives in Wales, Gwent, back of beond! :D
Duty makes us do things well, but love makes us do them beautifully.
Jacqui
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:23 pm

*stargazer* wrote:The Algarve and Lisbon are worlds apart !!!!!

I'd well believe it Starry. My Mother loved Lisbon and visited many times over her years.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Dear Denis:

You should bring your togs, there is great bathing going out of Lisbon to Cascais and Estoril. Lisbon is a great city in which the citizens 'promanade' in the evening (just as they did in Dun Laoghaire years ago). The Funiclar is great, and was designed and built by Eiffle. Pardon my spellings, not one of my strong points.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:24 pm

I'm really looking forward to it now and all the advice is a great help and should make the break all the better. Thank you all.
Denis Cromie

Postby Sinead » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Dear Denis:

Sorry I am giving you bits on the drip but when you do things automatically you tend to forget them when asked about what to do. Years ago we would always go on local buses, with the advant of the Hop On Hop Off we find it a great way of seeing the important monuments/buildings and getting a good overview and knowing what we want to see in more detail. You can usually get an OAP fare for 24 hours and this usually gives you entry to some second attraction.

Hope you and the good lady have a ball. My next venture will be London and then Eurostar to Brugge a city we have been visiting for 44 years, we spent part of our honeymoon there.

Slan

Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:16 pm

Thanks again Sinéad. Bruges another city on my list. Enjoy.
Denis Cromie

Postby *stargazer* » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:43 am

Sinead wrote: Years ago we would always go on local buses, with the advant of the Hop On Hop Off we find it a great way of seeing the important monuments/buildings and getting a good overview and knowing what we want to see in more detail.

Sinead

Great advice, Sinead...you also get to see all the little local villages and places you wouldn't see on the big tourist buses...and it's a LOT cheaper.
And we don't tend to go by the courier's trips...go to the local tourist or travel offices...day trips and boat trips can be up to 50% cheaper. In Corfu two years ago, I went 'solo' to Albania and when I came back, the people from the hotel had paid over twice as much for a shorter trip. The locals are only too happy to tell you about their special places. Our thing is to maybe take a an 'orienteering' tour early on and then decide where we want to go back to on the local transport. That way, you can spend as much time as you want wherever you want without checking your watch all the time to get back to the tour bus...I HATE THEM. My first trip to Egypt, travelling alone again, was amazing. The usual, two days in Cairo, to see Tutankamun's treasures and the Pyramids, but it was all rush...rush.....flew down to Luxor, and a 9 day trip on the boat to Aswan and back. On the trip I met a lady on her own in her 70's from Kildare. She had been EVERYWHERE..including the Inca Trail in Peru, the Great Wall of China, Russia during the bad times, she is a great adventurer. We became friends and decided to go back to Luxor the following year, just the two of us. We did a deal with a taxi driver to hire him for the day, very cheap, I think we paid 20E, and went out to the Valley of the Kings and saw it at our leisure without having to watch the time. We ended up in Tut's tomb, just the two of us, for as long as we wanted. Then on to Karnak and could enjoy it at our leisure, without having to rush around, watch the time, making sure we didn't lose sight of our tour group. If I never see another girating umbrella, I won't be sorry. I spend so much time watching the courier that I miss out on other things. There you are only allowed to see four tombs, but the guy, Ali, who was 'minding' the tomb, took us around to about 7 other tombs that the tourists aren't allowed to see, brought us to meet his family, had the most amazing meal, sitting on cushions on the floor and eating with our fingers from one big dish. Later, I found out I had eaten 'pigeon' but I didn't know at the time and enjoyed it anyway. He took us on his own felucca for a day on the Nile, just wandering around, it was fabulous and unforgettable. More another day......

This is a bit 'muxedip', but you'll get the gist of it.
*stargazer*

Postby *stargazer* » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:44 am

Bruges is beautiful, the Venice of the North...enjoy...
*stargazer*

Postby Strum » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:45 pm

Excellent memories and well told Starry! :cool: :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:59 pm

That's fantastic Stargazer,you're a regular Marco Polo. I find it hard to go to Dun laoghaire on me own. Fair Play to yeh. I always try to use the local transport when away. I've had some great experiences. I'd recommend the local bus service in Sorrento when doing the Amalfi Coast. Ther's only one route and you see everything that can be seen and you can get off at Positano if you wish as the tickets have a 6 hour validity. We paid a total of 7.50 Euro can you imagine what a Tour bus would cost and you didn't have the hassle of watching what time the tour bus left. Also had great trip on a train from Portimao to Lagos and also a local bus trip from Puerto Rico to Puerto Mogan in the Canaries really scenic and so cheap. So the good advice the 2 of you give is mix with the locals when eating and travelling and that has been my experiences also. :D
Denis Cromie

Postby grammer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:24 pm

tell you one thing Starry, Sinead & Denis Im getting restless reading your holiday stories and advice :-| :-| :-|

DC can I go??????? :roll: :roll:
grammer

Next

Return to HOLIDAYS AND FESTIVITIES