Off Topic posts.

Please feel free to post you gripes here.

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Dancer » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:56 am

Image
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
User avatar
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: Google maps

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby bugrock » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:51 pm

Dancer, you're doin' my head in! Again!
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
User avatar
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner
 
Posts: 1712
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 am
Location: Mornington Peninsula Australia

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby jwdalk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:21 pm

Some of these photos are great, the one at 1.52 of the statue of Oliver Goldsmith (?) at the bottom of Grafton Street is unbelievably clear for it's age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsp72dqt4uU
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria
User avatar
jwdalk
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:15 pm
Location: Curitiba, Brazil

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Sinead » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:25 pm

Brilliant Jwdalk, they are great photos.

Sinéad
User avatar
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow
 
Posts: 1975
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:09 pm
Location: Co.Dublin

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Rocker » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:42 pm

JW those are just fantastic. Thank you for letting us have some of the first views. I see they just went up today.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6426
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Holla » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:53 pm

Thanks for sharing JW .
User avatar
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow
 
Posts: 1337
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: The borough

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Navanman » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:18 pm

Excellent JW. They are so sharp.


NM
User avatar
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Dancer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:19 am

Has anybody seen the new Nordic Design furniture shop in Dun Laoghaire, where is it?

hellllo
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
User avatar
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: Google maps

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:56 am

Dancer wrote:Has anybody seen the new Nordic Design furniture shop in Dun Laoghaire, where is it?

hellllo

Think it is in the new building called the Lighthouse down where Iceland was opposite the old Library on Georges St

http://www.hookemacdonald.ie/show-prop.aspx?id=582232
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6426
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Dancer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:37 pm

Thanks Rocker dnc1 I'll have to pop in and have a look. I love Scandinavian furniture.
There was a shop open a good few years ago called Dan Natura and I bought a bookcase , it's my all time favourite piece of furniture. I'm now trying to decide whether or not to chalk paint it . Once it's done it can't be undone :shock:
Thanks again! hellllo
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
User avatar
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: Google maps

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby keeper » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:43 pm

Recently while watching ad breaks on RTE I've seen 2 ads, usually after each other, one is for The Road Safety Authority and the other for Denny's sausages n bacon, the link is what, you might ask, well, the RSA ad shows a Mother looking back at her baby in rear seat and while doing so swerves into an oncoming car, impact, end of ad, in the Denny's ad, a young couple returning from abroad with new baby met at the airport by Granda, Grandma at home waiting, cut to scene in the car, guess what ? yep, Granda while driving looks around adoringly at his new Grandchild in the rear BangHead at least they got home safely to have their full Irish :roll:
User avatar
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow
 
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Dancer » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:59 pm

Just throwing this out there: is there really any difference between a Stira type folding
attic stairs and a thermo insulated folding attic stairs?? There's only €50 in the difference
so not huge bucks . Anybody any opinions? I'm not buying a Stira again because they are way overpriced .
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
User avatar
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: Google maps

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Dancer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:19 am

So.......all the men on here know all about soccer, rugby and ......dare I say it .........bleedin' water :roll:
but nobody knows anything about loft ladders - figures !!! babbby
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
User avatar
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: Google maps

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Toss » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:35 am

Dancer wrote:Just throwing this out there: is there really any difference between a Stira type folding
attic stairs and a thermo insulated folding attic stairs?? There's only €50 in the difference
so not huge bucks . Anybody any opinions? I'm not buying a Stira again because they are way overpriced .


Probably yes there is a difference. If you are replacing an existing stira unit, there are different sizes of units and you need to check.

If its a new build, then you just need to know it has some form of guarantee like a kite mark (british industrial standard) or some other standard classification.

ps I thought I had posted this earlier, but obviously not .... someone got their knickers in a knot and spat the dummy out :lol:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
User avatar
Toss
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: A figment of your imagination

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby grammer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:54 am

a thermo insulated folding attic stairs??
That kinda sounds a little like hype to me Dancer
I have a ladder to my attic--you pull it down -you push it up- you close the trap door dontknow dontknow
Is the ladder a stairs or or a ladder ??? cos as long as the trap door is insulated then I think everything is tickyboo-
If there is only 50 in the difference -they are more or less equal I reckon. dontknow dontknow dontknow dontknow
================================================
keeper wrote:Recently while watching ad breaks on RTE I've seen 2 ads, usually after each other, one is for The Road Safety Authority and the other for Denny's sausages n bacon, the link is what, you might ask, well, the RSA ad shows a Mother looking back at her baby in rear seat and while doing so swerves into an oncoming car, impact, end of ad, in the Denny's ad, a young couple returning from abroad with new baby met at the airport by Granda, Grandma at home waiting, cut to scene in the car, guess what ? yep, Granda while driving looks around adoringly at his new Grandchild in the rear BangHead at least they got home safely to have their full Irish :roll:

I thought you were gonna say yer man was eating his Dennys while driving the car :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
User avatar
grammer
The Spoon
 
Posts: 5330
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:30 am
Location: 7th rock from the sun

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Rocker » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:06 am

Dancer,

I got a Stira a few years ago and though it seems expensive the level of service was amazing he did a top notch job perfect fit and the trap door is insulated and not a breeze. I feel so safe going up and down as it has two handrails and very sturdy for the fuller figure lady!! It is light enough to open and very steady when open.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6426
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Zirco » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:52 am

Rocker wrote:Dancer,

I got a Stira a few years ago and though it seems expensive the level of service was amazing he did a top notch job perfect fit and the trap door is insulated and not a breeze. I feel so safe going up and down as it has two handrails and very sturdy for the fuller figure lady!! It is light enough to open and very steady when open.



Sturdy, handrails, steady when open....very good :D :D
My one is the opposite......like being up in the rigging of a tall ship in a force nine :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
User avatar
Zirco
Stellar Member
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:53 pm
Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Dancer » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:11 am

Toss wrote:
Dancer wrote:Just throwing this out there: is there really any difference between a Stira type folding
attic stairs and a thermo insulated folding attic stairs?? There's only €50 in the difference
so not huge bucks . Anybody any opinions? I'm not buying a Stira again because they are way overpriced .


Probably yes there is a difference. If you are replacing an existing stira unit, there are different sizes of units and you need to check.

If its a new build, then you just need to know it has some form of guarantee like a kite mark (british industrial standard) or some other standard classification.

ps I thought I had posted this earlier, but obviously not .... someone got their knickers in a knot and spat the dummy out :lol:


:oops: :oops: Patience is not one of my strong points babbby :lol:

Rocker wrote:Dancer,

I got a Stira a few years ago and though it seems expensive the level of service was amazing he did a top notch job perfect fit and the trap door is insulated and not a breeze. I feel so safe going up and down as it has two handrails and very sturdy for the fuller figure lady!! It is light enough to open and very steady when open.


Rocker, I agree that the stira is sturdy but at €450 I can't justify the cost . I can buy a thermo insulated one for €149
and have it fitted by a professional carpenter for €50 and it comes with a 15 year guarantee .
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
User avatar
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: Google maps

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Micheál » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:14 pm

Dancer wrote:
Toss wrote:
Dancer wrote:Just throwing this out there: is there really any difference between a Stira type folding
attic stairs and a thermo insulated folding attic stairs?? There's only €50 in the difference
so not huge bucks . Anybody any opinions? I'm not buying a Stira again because they are way overpriced .


Probably yes there is a difference. If you are replacing an existing stira unit, there are different sizes of units and you need to check.

If its a new build, then you just need to know it has some form of guarantee like a kite mark (british industrial standard) or some other standard classification.

ps I thought I had posted this earlier, but obviously not .... someone got their knickers in a knot and spat the dummy out :lol:


:oops: :oops: Patience is not one of my strong points babbby :lol:

Rocker wrote:Dancer,

I got a Stira a few years ago and though it seems expensive the level of service was amazing he did a top notch job perfect fit and the trap door is insulated and not a breeze. I feel so safe going up and down as it has two handrails and very sturdy for the fuller figure lady!! It is light enough to open and very steady when open.


Rocker, I agree that the stira is sturdy but at €450 I can't justify the cost . I can buy a thermo insulated one for €149
and have it fitted by a professional carpenter for €50 and it comes with a 15 year guarantee .



A fitting by a "pro" for just €50 seems unlikely. I'd be cautious.

M.
User avatar
Micheál
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2503
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Within the sound of the Hooter

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Dancer » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:43 am

Micheál wrote:
A fitting by a "pro" for just €50 seems unlikely. I'd be cautious.

M.


hellllo It's all good Micheál. The reason it's so cheap is because he is doing various other jobs as well.
Lots of people have used him and I've seen his work and it's up to scratch. Plus of course , he is doing this work
as a nixer .
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
User avatar
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: Google maps

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Toss » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:44 am

Dancer wrote:
Micheál wrote:
A fitting by a "pro" for just €50 seems unlikely. I'd be cautious.

M.


hellllo It's all good Micheál. The reason it's so cheap is because he is doing various other jobs as well.
Lots of people have used him and I've seen his work and it's up to scratch. Plus of course , he is doing this work
as a nixer .


I'm with Micheal on this ..... €50 for a job that involves cutting ceiling joists, installing a folding stairs as well as reframing, plastering and painting it is VERY cheap. Ceiling joists can be anything from 350mm to 600mm apart depending on your original builders specifications, its more than likely your carpenter will have to cut, brace and fill gaps in order to fit your new stairs. If your stairs is not fitted correctly, not only are you at risk of it collapsing, but its guarantee will be void and any subsequent claim goes out the window. That said, if you know and trust this guy and have previous experience of his work, then you are getting a great deal as there is easily 3 or 4 hours work in it. 8-)
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
User avatar
Toss
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: A figment of your imagination

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Dancer » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:55 am

There is no joist cutting involved as it is a straight in and out job . The house is only being built so
I am removing the attic door and replacing it with a stairs. The ceiling hasn't been painted yet either.
I am lucky that the aperture is the same otherwise it would have cost more to cut joists etc.
I am a worrier by nature so have done my research and asked all the pertinent questions. It'll be grand! dnc1
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
User avatar
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: Google maps

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby bugrock » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:53 pm

I can see a visit to Howth, come Spring. How's your cooking, Dancer? dnc2
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
User avatar
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner
 
Posts: 1712
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 am
Location: Mornington Peninsula Australia

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Toss » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:02 pm

Dancer wrote:There is no joist cutting involved as it is a straight in and out job . The house is only being built so
I am removing the attic door and replacing it with a stairs. The ceiling hasn't been painted yet either.
I am lucky that the aperture is the same otherwise it would have cost more to cut joists etc.
I am a worrier by nature so have done my research and asked all the pertinent questions. It'll be grand! dnc1


Good on ya Dancer ..... thats the best type of job :shock: I hope all goes well and remember as its a new build that you need a 'Certificate of compliance' at the end of the works.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
User avatar
Toss
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: A figment of your imagination

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Dancer » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:49 pm

I don't think I'm going to get a cert Toss because the house will be signed off first , then the attic door will be replaced.
It's an A3 energy rated house so I am effectively interfering with the rating but everyone is doing the same . I'm having the attic floored as well . It's not going to interfere with my home bond guarantee is it???
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
User avatar
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: Google maps

PreviousNext

Return to THE MOAN FORUM



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest