Off Topic posts.

Please feel free to post you gripes here.

Re: Off Topic posts.

Postby Strum » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:54 am

bugrock wrote:Strum, you've got to paint the whole thing with a sealer, similar to what you would use on a smoker's ceiling. Messy stuff, but the best way.

Your dnc1 dnc2 has recommended the spray, if your judgement is good I'll go along with her. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby bugrock » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:20 am

Strum, I was a professional painter and Dancer is right, for small areas. If the whole ceiling is stained, then you need an even coat of stain sealer applied with a roller. Otherwise you may get an uneven finish.
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Strum » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:38 pm

bugrock wrote:Strum, I was a professional painter and Dancer is right, for small areas. If the whole ceiling is stained, then you need an even coat of stain sealer applied with a roller. Otherwise you may get an uneven finish.

Cheers Bugs. It wasn't too bad after the brushed on PVA, but still very noticeable lines, like channels under the beams where the water was heaviest I suppose.
Anyway sprayed it before I left today and already it looks covered. Thanks folks. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:56 pm

sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:38 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just looking at a bill that came in this morning -
I get my gas from Electric Ireland. :lol:
I switched my electric to Panda,. :lol: :lol:
reminded me of the old jokes that used to go around -
Only in Ireland - :lol: :lol: :lol:
Custard made by birds
Jam made by lambs
Beans made by bachelors
There are others :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
=
In UK-ice cream made by walls
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:26 pm

Any ideas folks. First off I'm not a tiler. This tile lifted and I thought it would be easy enough to replace but the timber you can see exposed is wet and of all things the stupid builders used untreated MDF. Soooooo I've had towels on it weighed down for a few days and they soaked up a good bit of damp but it's still damp and it's pointless trying to glue it back on damp timber. So my dilemma is should all the tiles come off and replace the timber or wait till it dries out which could take forever AND if I strip the tiles I could be up against all kinds of snags under them. :?: :?: :?:

bath.JPG
bath.JPG (27.04 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:41 pm

Nasty one. If you take off the tiles you might uncover rotting timber but, if you don't it will be rotting underneath. The tiler didn't use waterproof grouting. I'd say it is a timber frame for the bath. don't know any experts but, I'll ask around.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Zirco » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:21 pm

Yes, nasty alright Strum. I fear a total repair is inevitable. :roll:
To deal with the immediate issue I would suggest the following:
1. Dry the exposed mdf thoroughly with a hairdryer. If the bath is plastic be careful and use a heat barrier to protect the bath. Use moderate heat, not full heat.
2. Replace the tile using waterproof adhesive/grout.

Best of luck!
:roll: :roll: :roll:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby Strum » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:15 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies folks. I tried the dryer for about 20 mins the other day Zirco but it was fu-tile, no pun. :roll: You see the top tile on the left bulging out a bit, it's not loose BUT I'm guessing the glue underneath that is damp aswell making it swell out so I think that has to come out too. ~Arrgghh how a little thing can grow in a mega hassle. I think I've no choice but to take out that tile aswell as see what's going on under there. You're right Rocker it wasn't waterproofed/sealed properly. :roll:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:20 pm

MDF, once wet will never dry out fully. Or in the unlikely event of it drying, it will only do so in its newly acquired swollen state. Youll never reset that tile.

Sorry Strum, reach for the wrecking bar.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:53 pm

I know Michael of all things to use anywhere near Water even "waterproof" MDF isn't entirely waterproof, all it needs is a scratch on the surface and it makes it absorbent again, been there. Anyway, wrecking bar, no, haha that's a tad extreme, I'll take off the top left tile and see what's what. I'll be back. Cheers. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Dancer » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:50 am

You can probably pop off the rest of the tiles along the top and remove the rotting MDF and
replace it with a new piece of marine plywood. The front facing piece can probably also be
removed in one go by removing the grout along the sides . Although there should be an access panel
visible somewhere along the front so that you can gain access to the pipes underneath the bath.
If all else fails, you can remove the lot and replace with a plastic bath panel or new marine plywood
and re tile using either the same or new complimentary tiles. With you being an artist , the sky's the limit .
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Previous

Return to THE MOAN FORUM