Recession or Opportunity?

Please feel free to post you gripes here.

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby Micheál » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:35 am

At last somebody has mentioned the (other) "P" word.

This came up, un-prompted, in a conversation with friends recently. They wont go near Dun Laoghaire because of the "People" who frequent it.

Now this is not a simple analysis and is quite sensitive. And who am I to judge who is entitled to frequent the streets of our 'county' capital. But the fact remains many people I speak to about this cite the many "odd bods" that hang around as the reason for their avoiding the town. Rightly or wrongly, this may be what distinguishes Dun Laoghaire from Blackrock or Glasthule.

Has anyone any thoughts on this?
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby bugrock » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:00 am

In case anyone didn't catch on, my post was a sarcastic dig at the council. Online shopping was the catalyst for the tongue in cheek jibe. And anyway, Dancer, are you old enough to remember my records? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby grammer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:16 am

jaytee wrote:I was speaking to a local solicitor yesterday who reckons its the high rents / parking issues / druggies thats turning dun L into a ghost town. While Blackrock & Glasthule are buzzing. scry

Have to agree with you there =and you can put those three reasons in any order that you want --
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Toss » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:20 am

jaytee wrote:I was speaking to a local solicitor yesterday who reckons its the high rents / parking issues / druggies thats turning dun L into a ghost town. While Blackrock & Glasthule are buzzing. scry

Would that be the druggies that probably keep the same solicitor employed? :lol: :lol:

Micheál wrote:At last somebody has mentioned the (other) "P" word.
This came up, un-prompted, in a conversation with friends recently. They wont go near Dun Laoghaire because of the "People" who frequent it. Now this is not a simple analysis and is quite sensitive. And who am I to judge who is entitled to frequent the streets of our 'county' capital. But the fact remains many people I speak to about this cite the many "odd bods" that hang around as the reason for their avoiding the town. Rightly or wrongly, this may be what distinguishes Dun Laoghaire from Blackrock or Glasthule.

yeah the odd bods that hang around the Royal St George and the like are none to friendy a clique to the average joe :twisted: but seriously, something is wrong if people are putting other people as a reason to stay out of town. Blatant snobbery aside, Dun Laoghaire is no different to any other port town ... it has its transient population and its hard luck stories. In fact I wonder what the level of muggings etc is when compared to a similiar port. I know I would far sooner walk the streets of Dun Laoghaire than our capital at night.

The bottom line is the council are the ones charged with looking after the town and they have failed miserably .... I (and others) have said it here before, there are simple role models throughout France that show how to run a town the size of DL. Unfortunately when you have some of the dynasties that get elected locally, nothing will ever change and the main objective is self preservation .... ie feed the machine that is DLRCC first and throw the scraps out to those who kiss our ass next, the rest can shag off (and many have).

There are great local community activists, but sadly not enough and the power has gone to the head of the DLRCC as was seen when one of their representatives attacked a genuine local community supporter on the Joe Duffy show last year. Until the community STOP voting for the usual suspects and demand change, we are stuck with the same shower looking after themselves .... and you have to hand it to them, they are brilliant at it.

lets face it, they are only short of getting the people to work for nothing by starting a 'tidy roads' competition ... that way they wont need pay road sweepers, just print off a few merit awards and its job done :D
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:47 am

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Dancer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:53 am

bugrock wrote:In case anyone didn't catch on, my post was a sarcastic dig at the council. Online shopping was the catalyst for the tongue in cheek jibe. And anyway, Dancer, are you old enough to remember my records? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I knew that Bugs :D hellllo and yes I am old enough to remember some of your records, always loved
the oldies :D
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Dancer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:58 am

Micheál wrote:At last somebody has mentioned the (other) "P" word.

This came up, un-prompted, in a conversation with friends recently. They wont go near Dun Laoghaire because of the "People" who frequent it.

Now this is not a simple analysis and is quite sensitive. And who am I to judge who is entitled to frequent the streets of our 'county' capital. But the fact remains many people I speak to about this cite the many "odd bods" that hang around as the reason for their avoiding the town. Rightly or wrongly, this may be what distinguishes Dun Laoghaire from Blackrock or Glasthule.

I have many thoughts on it but will bite my tongue and wrap gaffer tape around my mouth....... :shock: :shock: :shock:
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Rocker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:41 am

I should try keeping my mouth closed too but some blatant things have to be said.
Toss ..couldnt agree more with you,but, I for one don't have the energy to contest an election for the Council or even know how to get into the running...though I have to say the new Irish would teach you...my non Irish friends have political aspirations if and when they get citizenship but, I don't think they need to be citizens to contest the local council elections.

The mental health system is in tatters and many locals with mental and associated alcohol and drug problems have been left to fend for themselves. There was a meeting place at the Boylan centre and they could gather and support each other in some semblance and get meds monitored but, I don't think that operates any more. My contacts have passed/moved on so I am not in the know now. Many of the fellows and women hang out at the Boylan and outside the church and down near the hospital because they have no stimulus nor support and other hard luck cases are their only friends. They get dried out and then sent back to the community with no support and people wonder "why"?? Also drug dealers know the vulnerable people and where to find them. I would much rather walk Dún Laoghaire streets than any street in Dublin. As Toss says for a port town it is remarkable safe.

My extended family has/had many "odd bods" who through drink and depression fell through the cracks and slept in doorways in the town and in the shelters on the sea front. Such people (there but for the grace of God go I ) need a hand and compassion and proper mental health services ..a tough assignment because no one want a drop in centre but there is a real need to tackle the problem.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Dún Laoghaire searches for ways to weather the storm as recession bites.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer ... -1.1488873
Strum
Administrator

Postby gingertom » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm

dontknow Ireland is at a crossroad.The change we experienced since 1996 has ruined us.It has exposed our avarice ad nauseam.Dun Laoghaire should be twinned with Holyhead because of its shared deathliness. I hate to say this. The demise of Dun Laoghaire started with the move of An Garda Siochana from Upper Georges St in the mid 1990s'.If there was a disturbance, they heard it and came out.Again I say that us in the Borough have changed our values from cultural , sporting (move of the golf course,bowling green) partial death of education (eblana cbs closing),parking charges & exorbitent retail rents in dl shop centre).Our Local Public reps have failed us. As has been highlited in other posts,Cosgrave,Hand and Dunlop in the tuition of Haughey and others of the House of Slitherin, as my children say, have f**cked my County up.Again I say a Strumpet Country combined with Strumpet Councillors and a Strumpet Electorate in Dun Laoghaire.Kingstown never left.
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:40 pm

Micheál wrote:Hmmmm

Is there a difference between a bailed-out bank and a bailed-out transport company?

M.

Only about 35 billion.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby gingertom » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:46 pm

Quinn the greedy has been spouting about how he was taken in by his Anglo Irish Bank Encouragement Society in his parochial townland today.To my mind he moans that even though he created 200 jobs p.a over the reign of the boom, he should be pitied as a victim.How many are now unemployed as a result of his avarice.Workers who travailled in the public service have had their pension funds mismanaged by trustees who fell under the same spell as Quinn.Investment of the contributions in the Bank of Ireland.I have a family member in dublin bus and he has about 20years service.why is his pension worth less than say... a worker in a similiar semi state profit orientated concern or even a government dept who have the same terms and conditions as him and now our government as per instruction by the troika, want to fundamentally rearrange our ways in a cultural, financial and operational sense.Prior to 1996 anyone assuming a civil or public service position was mandated to accept a class d 1 prsi contribution, without the option of an AVC. Never mind the streets Killer....
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Micheál » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:18 pm

On a flying visit to Gorey today.
(Regretfully no time to pay respects to Harjoe)

Very impressed with the lively town. Lots of 'quirky' shops and coffee shops. Great value too.
Only gripe - signage for (plentiful) parking could be better.

I'll be back
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby jaytee » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:54 pm

I just noticed the new Tesco being built at honeypark..

I also saw the wood carving in Barnardos window its an unusual piece. I didnt think to ask how much it is.

Its sad to see all the empty units in the shopping centre even the jeans shop is gone .was it called O'Connors? that was there since I was at school.
jaytee

Postby Micheál » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:25 am

I hear they are planning to close the top floor of Shopping Centre and concentrate the surviving shops on the lower levels.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby jwdalk » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:29 pm

Micheál wrote:I hear they are planning to close the top floor of Shopping Centre and concentrate the surviving shops on the lower levels.

M.

Ah no! That would be a disaster for the Shopping Centre, but maybe not for the town, if the council get their act together re rates, parking, traffic flow, etc. As an alternate idea would be to revert to the way the Shopping Centre was initially. Move the shops from the area behind the Golden Discs to the main concourse area on all floors and divide the vacated area into small units with lower rents and shorter leases.. I think it was called the Harbour Village before and was a great way to incubate small business ideas. If the business is a success it could migrate to a larger unit in the main area.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:18 am

jwdalk wrote: As an alternate idea would be to revert to the way the Shopping Centre was initially. Move the shops from the area behind the Golden Discs to the main concourse area on all floors and divide the vacated area into small units with lower rents and shorter leases.. I think it was called the Harbour Village before and was a great way to incubate small business ideas. If the business is a success it could migrate to a larger unit in the main area.

That sounds like a great idea. Something radical needs to be done and quickly. I heard Conor Pope on the radio today talking about the future for retail and he envisages large warehouse type places with people ordering on line. Then a few retail local shops catering for fresh meat, vegs etc. His big thing was retailers have to have an unique selling point and think outside the box.
I went to Howth the other day and my big fix was the hardware/ships chandlers type shop on the pier they had everything on sail(sic) and it was packed. I know there is Viking Marine in D/L but it doesn't have the tiny fiddly bits that every hardware nut wants.There are no day tours available from D/L...a coach or two along the seafront could sell tours for a couple of hours.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:30 am

Western Marine at Bullock is great. I regularly go there for weather-proof hardware (screws, nuts, bolts, hooks, brackets etc ) for garden projects. Must buy a yacht sometime.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:37 am

Micheál wrote:Western Marine at Bullock is great. I regularly go there for weather-proof hardware (screws, nuts, bolts, hooks, brackets etc ) for garden projects.
M.

Thanks for the tip...that is just the kind of thing I always want/need.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:59 am

Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:29 am

I'd say it only touches on the mire of big business. I am a great believer that there are conspiracies not just conspiracy theories.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:24 am

Stong rumour that there are changes on the way to Patrick st.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:32 pm

grammer
The Spoon

Postby Jemser » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Grammer, thanks for that, if the price of money keeps on rising that quickly, maybe we will soon be able to afford the taxes we are paying. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby grammer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:08 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
grammer
The Spoon

PreviousNext

Return to THE MOAN FORUM