Recession or Opportunity?

Please feel free to post you gripes here.

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby gingertom » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:19 pm

jaytee wrote:I just noticed the new Tesco being built at honeypark..

I also saw the wood carving in Barnardos window its an unusual piece. I didnt think to ask how much it is.

Its sad to see all the empty units in the shopping centre even the jeans shop is gone .was it called O'Connors? that was there since I was at school.

It is very sad to see that.Strumpet County Council .
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby grammer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Is this a major fiddle by the money class???????
looks like poor aul' Paddy is still gonna have to pay all his taxes -while the others stick their fingers up.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/analysis/t ... 41421.html
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby keeper » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Think you are correct Grammer ! But it's getting curiouser and curiouser by the day. The population is getting sicker by the day of all politicians, I can see trouble ahead if this budget is as bad as they say it's going to be, people have no more to give and the resentment is bubbling just below the surface, the ordinary Joe always pays.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:34 pm

Tax his land,
Tax his bed,
Tax the table
At which he's fed.

Tax his work,
Tax his pay,
He works for peanuts
Anyway!

Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he
Tries to think.

Tax his car,
Tax his gas,
Find other ways
To tax his ass.

Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won't be done
Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;
Then tax him some more,
Tax him till
He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he's laid.

When he's gone,
Do not relax,
It's time to apply
The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax
Airline surcharge tax
Airline Fuel Tax
Airport Maintenance Tax
Building Permit Tax
Cigarette Tax
Cooking Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Goods and Services Tax (GST)
Death Tax
Driving Permit Tax
Environmental Tax (Fee)
Excise Taxes
Income Tax
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Petrol Tax (too much per litre)
Gross Receipts Tax
Health Tax
Heating Tax
Inheritance Tax
Interest Tax
Lighting Tax
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Mortgage Tax
Pension Tax
Personal Income Tax
Property Tax
Poverty Tax
Prescription Drug Tax
Real Estate Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Retail Sales Tax
Service Charge Tax
School Tax
Telephone Tax
Value Added Tax
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Water Tax
Workers Compensation Tax
Tax (VAT) on Tax.
And Now they want a Carbon Tax!
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:03 am

Tax his Poetry
Tax his Site
Tax his Music
On Wednesday night.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:13 am

Micheál,

Thanks for lightening the moment...I was so annoyed at seeing all my taxes laid out..if the Tax man looks in here I can hear him roar
Tax their knitting
Tax their skitting... :evil: :twisted:
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby jaytee » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:23 am

Theres even a tax on chocolate.
I recently went to the cash & carry & 'real' food like cheese chicken & bread etc is'nt charged vat but choccy is . Bah humbug !
jaytee

Postby keeper » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks Strum :cry: now I'm REALLY depressed :cry: :cry: Life is just such a taxing existence :cry: :cry:
keeper

Postby Navanman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:01 pm

Jaytee
Don't forget your Benefit in Kind for TV's :lol:

NM
Navanman

Postby jaytee » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
jaytee

Postby Gulliver » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:32 pm

jaytee wrote:Theres even a tax on chocolate.

They even differentiate on types of biscuits.
Digestive biscuits - no VAT
Milkchoc Digestive - VAT is charged
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Jemser » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:19 pm

That's because Digestive biscuits are not considered a luxury but chocolate digestives are.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:56 pm

All biscuits are luxury...don't yis know there is a recession on???
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby jwdalk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:18 am

There was an expensive case in the UK between McVities and Revenue as to whether Jaffa Cakes were cakes (VAT free) or biscuits (VAT elligible). The tribunal found in favour of McVities, here's a link to the findings.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/vfoodman ... od6260.htm
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Postby Micheál » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:22 pm

The key difference between Cakes and Biscuits is how they go stale.
Soft = biscuit
Hard = cake

M
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:34 pm

Micheál wrote:The key difference between Cakes and Biscuits is how they go stale.
M

Oh I wish any of them were ever long enough in my house to go stale... scry :o
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Back to recession or Opportunity. babbby babbby babbby
see another shop out of the Big White Elephant and moving onto the main street.
are there any shops left in the shopping centre now?????
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:46 pm

This is a happy recession/opportunity story. the other day we were waiting at Toulouse Airport when I got chatting to a lad in a green T shirt ...I thought he was Irish but it turned out he was from London. We got chatting about Toulouse and he said he had gone over at the start of the summer to improve his French and work for the summer. He walked the feet off himself in Toulouse looking for a job and after three weeks his money was run out and he was going home the next day. He went for one last try to an Irish bar..De Danu and met a nice Irish chap who gave him an immediate start. He said the conditions in the pub were superb, the place well run, the food of the highest order and conditions impecible..all the staff helped him get a cheap place to live and made his summer so amazing.

Turns out the man who gave him the job is Trevor Brennan..ex rubgy player...the pub is De Danu in the centre of Toulouse. I felt so proud that even in France the Irish recognise the plight of the good man down on his luck. This guy spoke of the experience with a broad smile and shining eyes..the best ad ever for Trevor Brennan and his pub...I for one can't wait to visit the pub on my next trip.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Umm...

Norway has ‘so much money that it literally doesn’t know what to do with it’

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/norway ... 5-Sep2013/
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:53 pm

The new word that's all over RTE this weekend.
"Strategic Default"
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:11 am

grammer wrote:"Strategic Default"

I don't see why everyone is so surprised on the media. Over 15 years ago when acquaintances and colleagues were taking out exorbitant mortgages for second and third homes, houses in Spain, buy to lets etc..some to the total tune of over a million with every bank and lending institution in sight...we asked how they intended to repay the loans?what would happen if someone lost their job??/what if someone got ill??...the vague answer was it won't happen to us or we just won't repay. They were on the bandwagon just for the good times and they had no intention of ever discharging the loans. The same selfish attitude the same crowd had to getting every possible subvention and grant for their education and degrees with tax back working abroad every holiday and living off their parents for socializing...when asked where they would work with their state funded education...gave the same vague look...sure they had no intention of staying in this dump of a country they were going to Australia..with all the bright young feckless gang..where no doubt they will duck and dodge their responsibilities as I fear we have reared a generation of selfish shysters without backbone or principles who think the world owes them....they have strategically defaulted on their families, friends,education, training..arrogance and wimpishness ...That is just a flavour of the hundreds of 30 somethings I know.The world owes them and it is about time the rest of you understand this...Right ?? it is like SO.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:51 am

Rocker wrote:That is just a flavour of the hundreds of 30 somethings I know.The world owes them and it is about time the rest of you understand this.

Rocker, really good rant there wuu ok not every 30 something is the same and we all know some really good workers out there ..... so the question is 'why are there so many who think the world owes them?'

Well I think you have to blame the parents for a lot of it. Little Johnny has trashed the neighbours house ... write the cheque, he has crashed mums jeep.... write the cheque, he has failed to study.... write the cheque, he wants to go to Thailand or the like .... write the cheque and now that he or she is 30 and has the lifestyle of a prince or princess, its impossible to turn back the clock because Mummy n Daddy cant be seen to be part of the problem ..... its just 'society' and society can deal with it. So blame the teachers, blame the system, blame the country but dont dare point the finger at the parents :(

I have worked since I was 8/9 years of age, I helped out (reluctantly at times) and learned that if I wanted something badly enough, the ONLY way to get it was to work and earn it ! do I feel mistreated? do I feel any injustice? .... not a chance.

Today, nobody fails ... everyone's a winner and yet we are all losers because of it. Those who know, will understand that logic :twisted:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby jwdalk » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Rocker wrote:
grammer wrote:"Strategic Default"

I don't see why everyone is so surprised on the media. Over 15 years ago when acquaintances and colleagues were taking out exorbitant mortgages for second and third homes, houses in Spain, buy to lets etc..some to the total tune of over a million with every bank and lending institution in sight...we asked how they intended to repay the loans?what would happen if someone lost their job??/what if someone got ill??...the vague answer was it won't happen to us or we just won't repay. They were on the bandwagon just for the good times and they had no intention of ever discharging the loans. The same selfish attitude the same crowd had to getting every possible subvention and grant for their education and degrees with tax back working abroad every holiday and living off their parents for socializing...when asked where they would work with their state funded education...gave the same vague look...sure they had no intention of staying in this dump of a country they were going to Australia..with all the bright young feckless gang..where no doubt they will duck and dodge their responsibilities as I fear we have reared a generation of selfish shysters without backbone or principles who think the world owes them....they have strategically defaulted on their families, friends,education, training..arrogance and wimpishness ...That is just a flavour of the hundreds of 30 somethings I know.The world owes them and it is about time the rest of you understand this...Right ?? it is like SO.

I agree with everything you say Rocker. I suspect that you and I are from a similiar generation when a lot of things were seen as a privilege and not a right. I first went to the bank for a loan in the early 1980's and was practically run out of the building. My parents didn't have the money to go guarantor on the loan, which I think was about £3,000 to buy shares in the company I worked in (It was a great opportunity, it was a small company which was about to be sold, the deal was done, and my £3,000 would be worth £4,500 the following week, but the bank weren't interested. I was lucky enough to get a loan from one of the directors).
Do you know, in a way I feel sorry for the thirtysomethings? They didn't make this mess, the money-go-round was all they knew. If you didn't jump on the housing carousel this year you wouldn't be able to afford it next year. The banks, developers and government were all in cahoots. Light touch regulation, rezoning, banks lending to developers and to house buyers, getting two licks of the gravy in the same pot. It was all utter madness and Brian Cowen coming out recently saying that there was no Plan B and that everybody expected a soft landing, (except for economists like Morgan Kelly and David McWiliams) says it all about government competence.
But the thing is that the banks will cling to the "strategic default" mantra like a drowning man clutching a lifebuoy. The banks are not property companies, they don't want a load of negative equity properties on their books, and nor do they want to write off loans. Far better to lead people to believe that a percentage of borrowers are able to pay their debts but choose not to. This way they can pursue all mortgages, labelling recalcitrant creditors as strategic defaulters. The banks are terrified of write downs or write offs, because if they give these they'll be coming back to the tax payer for another bail out.
In my opinion one or more of the major banks here should be sold, or more likely given, to an international bank like HSBC who would have the resources to recapitilise the bank and inject money into the economy. But who would touch the Irish banks with all those unresolved mortgages? The future looks grim.
Rant over.....sorry :oops:
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Postby Dancer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:53 pm

Not ALL young people are self-centered , feckless shysters who expect everyone else to pay their bills and finance their
lifestyles. I know many young people who get up each morning to head into college and when they are finished there
go straight to work .I know lots of lads , my nephew included who are in Trinity and they give up some of their free time to
decorate flats for elderly folk ; it's organised by S.V. De Paul. Children are a product of their environment so you can't really blame
Niall or Saoirse if they "simply have to have a week away in Ibiza, to get a tan for Caoimhe's 18th !!" It's all because Mummy and Daddy
believe that you are only at the top of your game when you have a BMW 5X and a Merc parked in the driveway and at least two holidays
a year, not to mention, the odd week-end away. The usual mantra is " Do what you have to to get to the top and take no prisoners"
It's so sad to see so many young people who lack good role models at home. I've always believed that every child should be taught the value
of money and learn to save at an early age.If you have to pay for it yourself then you will take good care of it!! I remember a guy I know
who is fairly wealthy , took his only daughter into Moore Street on a Saturday morning and made her work on a fruit and veg stall for the
day so she could appreciate just how hard people have to work.
Parents have a huge role to play in their children's lives and I really don't think some people realise what a privilege it is to be a parent.
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby grammer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:33 am

In case you have all been living on another planet for the last two days :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Listen to the this link
when I heard this on RTE Drivetime last night -I thought it was someone taking the hiss -
but it turns out this guy is deadly serious
to make it worse he is taking our money for this service -he works for the new PIP service -
and guess what he of course is a solicitor.
The rich must be protected at all times -they have their status to think of.
Mary Wilson questioning Jim Stafford -worth listening to.
http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplay ... 09-2013%3A
grammer
The Spoon

PreviousNext

Return to THE MOAN FORUM