Recession or Opportunity?

Please feel free to post you gripes here.

Recession or Opportunity?

Postby Rocker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:14 pm

Every time I turn on the radio the discussion is about recession. I'm weary listening. The people moaning probably have.
1. Decent clothes, 2. Comfortable houses 3. Bed clothes 4. An education.
remember
1. Thread bare hand me downs 2. Freezing cold leaky flats 3.Coats or flour sacks on rickety makeshift beds 4.No hope of any schooling beyond the Primary.
We have come a long way even in my lifetime and should be rejoicing not moaning. How can we accentuate the positive to the grandchildren?
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Re: recession or opportunity?

Postby Toss » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:16 pm

I know what you mean ....... we never had it so good. Never thought I'd see the day when knackers had their own TV series promoting their lifestyle and laughing at the taxpayers as they flash the cash, its wrong on so many counts.

As for your question, how do we accentuate the positive ........ simple turn off the Television and Radio, dont buy the Star / Sun / Mirror or any other media rag that glorifies ignorance. The fact is that Television has control of the masses, the churches failed to deal with their own internal double standards and the people left; leaving the goggle box a free run on peoples morals.

Years ago, the baddies always lost and the good guys won out on the TV programmes ...... not its all about how much excess you can do, how you can stick two fingers up to society and show your ignorance with pride (Tallafornia nights anyone?).
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:22 pm

So true folks and well said.
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:52 pm

s for your question, how do we accentuate the positive ........ simple turn off the Television and Radio, dont buy the Star / Sun / Mirror or any other media rag that glorifies ignorance. The fact is that Television has control of the masses, the churches failed to deal with their own internal double standards and the people left; leaving the goggle box a free run on peoples morals.

Years ago, the baddies always lost and the good guys won out on the TV programmes ...... not its all about how much excess you can do, how you can stick two fingers up to society and show your ignorance with pride (Tallafornia nights anyone?).L4 4EL is heaven.
Toss

Well said Toss--
-We now have a class of "Celebrity" WAGS and .....
whose sole ambition in life is to be arm fluff and orange colour :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks Toss, Took your advice yesterday and didnt listen to the doom merchants. Dont feel as moany today!! :)
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Rocker wrote:Thanks Toss, Took your advice yesterday and didnt listen to the doom merchants. Dont feel as moany today!! :)

Ha ha...... fair play.

Its amazing what a break from the media will do ...... we started going to france about ten years ago and I can still recall the first time with no TV or radio, no news and no blues!! after a week, we never even wondered what was going on in the outside world.

Theres no doubt about it, the media have a huge impact on how people think and feel.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby keeper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:18 am

After the Revolution, when I become The Furher, all televisions, radios etc shall be brought to central areas where they will be all shot at Dawn, all answering machines with multiple options and recorded music shall also be shot :evil: :evil:
For 2 hours every night all electricity will switched off in all pubs, real fires shall be lit and all patrons shall be made tell a story, recite poetry or sing a song, this of course will present a problem for dunlaoghairecounty.ie but no doubt Strum will find a way just for us, an Iron Cross awaits each and every one of us on this site, as for Dail Eireann, oh boy, I just can't wait, :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby spudseamus » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:31 am

A little story
There was a man who had a little hamburger van on the side of the freeway .he had worked this little spot for 20 yrs and people came from miles away for one of his burgers .Now he had a son who was going to university studding finance and economics and this son was only there because of all the money the little van produced . One day the Dad said to the son " im thinkin of opening another van on the other side of the freeway so I can get all the trafic goin the other way " WHAT! says the son ,are ya mad Dad ! dont you listen to the radio or the tv ? well no says the old man "im usually to busy for that " well let me tell you said the uni educated son "the country is goin down the tube ! theres no money to be had ! the Gov. is tellin everyone to tighten their belts! Oh says the old man "well what if I do some new colours on the van and stuff" oh no dad dont spend any money in fact you should buy lesser grade meat and buns to save your shillings !
The old man took head of his son because he knew a lot of things that was in the papers and on the radio and tv so he must be right , so the old man cut back on the meat and buns and on the hours he was open for business -- in six months he was broke and out of business.
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby keeper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:02 pm

A true story for ya Spud, while in a very remote Connemara pub years ago, I witnessed two elderly very drunk mountain sheep farmers spending their profits on drinks after the sheep market that day, suddenly a row broke out ending with one standing over his downed friend (?) screaming " I knows it's truuua, I saws it on de telly " ya 'oul bxxxox :x :x
keeper

Postby keeper » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:51 pm

I am delighted to see there has been no moans since February :twisted: I now propose to moan about there being no moaners anymore :D
Does this mean the recession is over :?: :P :P
keeper

Postby grammer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:39 pm

This only a recession keeper if you are up to your Rolex in depth
and own lots of property
otherwise its as normal -the price of everything is still going up and up and up and up-
but for those who never had anything -nothing has changed
they still have nothing - :D :D :D :D :D

See that "poor" couple who camped out in Ballybrack/Killiney last week must have decided to move into one of their other 21 (was it?????) properties either here or in London --
thats recession :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:07 am

When we are really in a recession you will know :D :D :D
you will have to cut your holidays down to 2 a year --- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You will owe money on your books in the Library :D :D (remember that ??????)
stop going out for Sunday lunch (cos you have convinced yourself its cheaper than cooking at home )
saving newspapers and getting out the old paper block maker (remember them????)and throwing the blocks and the potato skins on the fire . :D :D

darning socks -(jaaaazzzz can anyone remember how to sew or anything like that :D )
throwing out the bread to the birds -cos you've had it since yesterday and the poor starving birds :D
Trying to sew a button on a shirt or jacket -rather than throw it in some charity shop -cos if there is a real recession you might be buying it back in a couple of weeks time for 2or 3 quid. :D :D :D :D --
and finally (for the moment :D )
If you ring up any of the Gov. depts with a query -after listening to the crap music that they use when you are on hold
you'll end up saying -that girl/guy I was talking to was very helpful, nice,bit of a laugh and could'nt do enough for me.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
nearly forgot -when you have a patch in the ar.e of your best trousers
Thats recession.!!!!!!
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:43 am

Right jokes aside what about this ???
worth a read gang-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012 ... nuses-tips
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:22 am

That is the real world. We have no idea just how little some people are working for. I was off in March in Egypt and the poverty is grinding. We felt so bad on a short cruise on the Nile we knew the staff were badly paid by our standards but, they were delighted to be working, to be well fed, to meet and chat with foreigners. They were working something like a month on and a week off. They had to turn their hand to everything.Their pride in their work and gentle dignity was humbling.I keep telling my gang here that they dont know what hardship is. Many years ago I had a friend who worked in various african countries and I berated him for the miserly salaries he paid. He told me that was the norm for that country and if he was doing business there that was all he could pay. The harsh reality is probably that we have been paying ourselves too much.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby spudseamus » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:53 am

"The harsh reality is probably that we have been paying ourselves too much." Rocker you could be right !! I see many young Irish here complaining about rates of pay in OZ being way below the Irish norm! but when I point out to them that they are here because of no jobs in Ireland I get the stare !! well I mean a good rate of pay here is better than the unemployment in Ireland ? surly?
spudseamus

Postby keeper » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:50 pm

Yes Grammer, you are correct, the new rich are those who have no debts and a roof over their head or who stayed calm during the boom and were not swayed by mega pressure by banks to get easy money, I learned my lesson in an earlier boom, after which I had to cut my cloth,and swore it would never happen again, and so was a very quiet man during this one, but I feel so sad for the young folk in big trouble, most of whom were just trying to get on in life, but, I have no sympathy for those who went completely mad and thought it would never end, and became abnoxious selfish human beings with no no respect or regard for anyone, and, their naked aggression if you dared question their behaviour.
Spud, you are also correct in what you say, you get the stare because they have no answer, the truth is beginning to dawn on that generation, that could never understand what the words "no, you can't have it" meant,they can't believe they can not have everything they desire anymore. The sad part is they have left behind unfortunate parents weighed down by debt when they should have been starting to enjoy their life's earnings and looking forward to retiring, the sacrifices they made to get their offspring on the property ladder has them crippled, this is not to say there are many many young people who through no fault of their own have to leave to get work, it's heart breaking, but, there are many on here had to do likewise, it seems to be Ireland's lot, a never ending cycle.
Rocker, I too have seen the scenario you described in many parts of the world, and it always struck me, those with little or nothing are the most dignified and grateful people when they get the smallest reward, but all these countries have their despots rolling in illgotten riches as well.
keeper

Postby Rocker » Tue May 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Keeper,

Well said. You have hit lots of nails on the head there. I'm first generation up from the tenements and was delighted to get a little education then an O.K job and have retired on a small pension. However, all the younger people I worked with in the 80's and 90's thought we just lacked ambition that we didnt buy the three houses and the house in Spain and the apartment in Bulgaria etc and they had no conception of the Ireland I had grown up in and my talk of the poverty of the 50's was very annoying. As always It has been so hard to put the old head on the young shoulders. I am beating one on to the grandchildren!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue May 01, 2012 8:42 pm

grammer wrote:Right jokes aside what about this ???
worth a read gang-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012 ... nuses-tips

I had read it earlier( my daily paper). We went on a cruise 2 years ago and the tips were prepaid but that didn't stop us from giving a little extra. It's pretty obvious that the staff are very dependent on the tips they get. This award for performance is, in my view,a guise to take the little they get away from them.It's a funny old world where those who have the least are exploited so that those who have the most can profit. Somethings never change.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby grammer » Tue May 01, 2012 11:38 pm

Its a vicious circle this world we live in
If people decided not to use these cruises or go to 3rd world countries as a protest against the low pay of the workers -
then you would be threathened with the reply -
well no tourists no work for the locals.
================now for the punch line :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I dont think any of our citizens should be allowed go on foreign holidays -unless they can prove
1-that they have money in the bank -
2 do not have big bill arrears -or are not playing the old "Im in negative equity" game
3- Have a job to come back to.
4-must spend at least 4 weekends a year in the Republic in hotels /guesthouses.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Sinead » Wed May 02, 2012 3:12 pm

Grammer, you are omitting pensioners from your list, can they come and go as they choose? If tips are accepted by a company they are legally obliged to pass this on to the person/people for whom the tip is intended. No cruise line can make an account charge for tips and then use this money as a sword of Damaclas over the staff. As Denis says, if the service is good you always give an extra tip. On liners what gets me is the 15% service charge in all bars.
Maybe this should be in 'moan of the month'.

Sinead
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Fri May 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Well as they say there are thousands of jobs in Jeopardy

there will be cheap flights out starting on Tuedays & Thursdays.
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Gulliver » Sat May 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Noticed another recession victim closing down after maybe 20 years - Valparaiso restaurant (over Goggins), Monkstown!!!
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Sat May 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Oh No not my favourite restaurant. We have been going there since they opened. Have all our important anniversaries and birthdays there not to mention retirement dos. Hadn't heard that. Are they keeping the Glasthule restaurant open?
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Sat May 05, 2012 11:58 pm

last time-- a couple of years ago I admit--
I was there on behalf of my company to meet an oversees client
we ended up going to BK in D/L on the way home -we were blxxxdin starvin'
Big fancy plates -budgie size meals -
ahhh I suppose we all have to come down to earth sometimes :D :D :D :D
and anyway theres supposed to be a big recession on -
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Sun May 06, 2012 11:54 am

Had a very interesting day yesterday. We went on a steam train to Mullingar. A great trip. When we arrived at Mullingar we were met by a fleet of coaches as we were going to Belvedere House about 7 km from the station. The coach driver welcomed us on board had some great brochures of Mullingar and a note which was G10 which entitled us to ten per cent off purchases in shops in Mullingar. We were delighted. Next off to Belvedere House. A most pleasant experience. Although there were over 200 of us the restaurant a bright, clean well run very comfortable place coped althought there was a queue it didn't take long and the food was first class and reasonable. The house and gardens were superb. There was something for all age groups. We ddnt go near the children's facilities but I believe there was great entertainment for them. I might add that Westmeath County Council run the House and gardens.Now this is a hard act to follow but the whole town is interested in making the tourists' visit first class and I for one will be back in Mullingar. I loved the joined up thinking. It is a hard act to follow but DunLaoghaire County Council take note. We need your backing to survive.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Next

Return to THE MOAN FORUM