Recession or Opportunity?

Please feel free to post you gripes here.

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:03 am

grammer wrote:The rich must be protected at all times -they have their status to think of.

That is exactly the way they all think. He later came on and apologised for talking about the trophy houses etc but that is exactly the way he thinks and that is exactly how the "suitable candidates" will be treated. The likes of me who came from the tenements and worked my way up to owning my own house if I fall on hard times..why would I need a trophy house sure wasn't the tenements good enough for my family..it is like the last day...depart Ye from me to everlasting poverty in the council flat...but, Ye who stroked, creamed, did the deals, overstretched at everyone's expense, got the free education and free university ,got the big job maybe with old boy pull...Oh Ye...Ye could not live in the council flat, Ye must continue to show the world how important ye are and stay at all costs ( to the little man) in your trophy house...no need to apologise..we little folk know the system..we have railed against it all our life...Oh and by the way the banks will pay the fee..didn't we know that..
I don't know why poor Mary sounded so surprised.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby Toss » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:11 am

Staffords only mistake is that he told the truth as to what him and his mates think, its exactly why the country is in the this mess ..... chancers looking after their mates, all in a cosy clique and defending each other whilst milking the system for everything they can get their greedy claws on. It is no surprise and its why certain Colleges are so popular .... you send your kids there and they graduate in their clique, where the old school tie means you dont need to worry about work as there will always be one of your chums on the make and willing to let you share in his trough.

I once went for a managerial position. At the second round of interviews with 6 interviewers, I was asked about degree's and qualifications. The person asking this question had my CV in front of them and knew full well I did not have a degree as I went to work at 15 years of age. I stood my ground and rebuffed them by saying that I have the educational equivalent in my trade and could not achieve any higher a standard. I eventually got the job, but as a result had to work with this person. Years later (having won them over and done well), we had to interview for another position and the same situation arose. We were reviewing CVs when one was dismissed because the person did not have a degree. I immediately asked why and was told that having a degree was the minimum standard they required .... following an intense discussion where I pointed out that that having a degree is no guarantee of success, it was agreed that experience should be recognised and the dismissed CV was reinstated. It dawned on me there and then .... the people making such decisions are often the ones who have paid out big bucks to get their kids through College and they could not bring themselves to allow that system be eroded by allowing non graduates get a top job.

Sadly, its jobs for the boys and as always ... there are far too many Jim Staffords around. I can't help wondering what Mr Stafford's experience of not being able to put bread on the table is? I would think that he has an excellent CV but little or no understanding of what its like to have your friendly bank taking the bread grocery out of your pocket.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
User avatar
Toss
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: A figment of your imagination

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby Dancer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:57 am

The world has always been that way...you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours etc . Sure isn't that
why golf was invented :lol: :lol: :lol:
I won't hold my breath waiting for someone to come on and post about the time
they refused to let a friend of a friend get their speeding ticket quashed or told
their mate not to interfere in Johnny or Mary's job application because it wouldn't
be fair on everyone else ........................Gimme a break !!!
We are ALL guilty of milking the system when it suits us, at least be honest about it.
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
User avatar
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: Google maps

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:51 pm

Well I have to hold my hand up and say I wish I was in the position to milk the system and I would be as good as the best. But, what this guy yesterday was saying was that he would treat the solicitor or the highly paid person in the large house differently than he would the guy in the small terraced house. It appears to me that this new law of insolvency is really only for the wealthy who have fallen on tough times.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby jwdalk » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:38 pm

I heard the interview and was astounded at the candour of Jim Stafford at the time and listened to the end because I was sure he would realise what he had said and would try to qualify or rephrase it. His apology and explanation are only making it worse. Another thing that he said, reading between the lines, was, if you don't have the money to pay us don't bother coming near us. In other words, we only want the solvent insolvents. (Strategic defaulters????).
On another note, if an accountant or solicitor is insolvent they are crap at managing money and should they have a trophy home? Should the public not be given a true impression?
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria
User avatar
jwdalk
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:15 pm
Location: Curitiba, Brazil

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby Dancer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:47 pm

Just to clarify - when I say "milk the system" I don't mean defraud the system. People will always look
after those closest to them, be it in business or otherwise, it's just the way it is and it is never going to change.
That guy Jim Stafford has just set himself up to be crucified - a total gobsh!te !!
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
User avatar
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:05 pm
Location: Google maps

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby Rocker » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:17 am

Hey, we haven't aired this Topic in ages....

Opportunities are opening up all over the place.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby grammer » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:22 am

Rocker, :lol: :lol: somehow this came to mind

sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
User avatar
grammer
The Spoon
 
Posts: 5330
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:30 am
Location: 7th rock from the sun

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby Zirco » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:19 am

grammer wrote:Rocker, :lol: :lol: somehow this came to mind


Very good Grammer wuu wuu wuu
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Zirco on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
User avatar
Zirco
Stellar Member
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:53 pm
Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby Zirco » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:55 am

Rocker wrote:Hey, we haven't aired this Topic in ages....

Opportunities are opening up all over the place.


Yes, I agree Rocker, we are coming out of a recession and the country is on the up. Employment is increasing...hopefully some of the Diaspora will be tempted to come home. Brighter days ahead. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
User avatar
Zirco
Stellar Member
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:53 pm
Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby grammer » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:33 pm

But people coming home will be expected to work for small wages and bad conditions.
No where to live and not enough money to pay the Rackmen. dontknow dontknow dontknow
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
User avatar
grammer
The Spoon
 
Posts: 5330
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:30 am
Location: 7th rock from the sun

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby Rocker » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:41 pm

grammer wrote:But people coming home will be expected to work for small wages and bad conditions.
No where to live and not enough money to pay the Rackmen. dontknow dontknow dontknow


Funny thing is a lot of professionals are getting contracts we would only have dreamed of. I had a casual chat with someone recently and they think nothing of paying 2,000 a month for a rented house. He is some I.T genius and she is a teacher in a fee paying school. I can only imagine their world but, they are not alone. I think of everyone working in factories or piece work or minimum wages or zero hour contracts.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby Strum » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:09 pm

Rocker wrote:Funny thing is a lot of professionals are getting contracts we would only have dreamed of. I had a casual chat with someone recently and they think nothing of paying 2,000 a month for a rented house. He is some I.T genius and she is a teacher in a fee paying school. I can only imagine their world but, they are not alone. I think of everyone working in factories or piece work or minimum wages or zero hour contracts.



They live in a completely different world of wealth Rocker. My ex works for a big IT company in Dublin making computer chips and YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE the amount of money the programmers earn P.W. and the cost of flights around the Planet EVERY DAY is staggering to say the least. The other day 11.500 squids for one bloke flying business class for 32 hours. That's just one bloke, one flight so you can imagine how that mounts up. That's a grand more than a years dole for a single flight. Try putting that into perspective. :shock:
User avatar
Strum
Administrator
 
Posts: 9753
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby Micheál » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:10 pm

Maybe there is a recovery after all . . . . .

Image

M
User avatar
Micheál
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2503
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Within the sound of the Hooter

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby Rocker » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:15 am

Strum wrote:
Rocker wrote:Funny thing is a lot of professionals are getting contracts we would only have dreamed of. I had a casual chat with someone recently and they think nothing of paying 2,000 a month for a rented house. He is some I.T genius and she is a teacher in a fee paying school. I can only imagine their world but, they are not alone. I think of everyone working in factories or piece work or minimum wages or zero hour contracts.



They live in a completely different world of wealth Rocker. My ex works for a big IT company in Dublin making computer chips and YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE the amount of money the programmers earn P.W. and the cost of flights around the Planet EVERY DAY is staggering to say the least. The other day 11.500 squids for one bloke flying business class for 32 hours. That's just one bloke, one flight so you can imagine how that mounts up. That's a grand more than a years dole for a single flight. Try putting that into perspective. :shock:


Two years ago I though 2,000 Euros a month to rent a house was a lot!.
The other day a car stopped me in Killiney and the American sounding woman asked me for directions. She had a computer print out of a house to rent...not that big but with a view....can you guess the monthly rent??

€7,000 a month....I nearly fell out of my standing. Your woman the American didn't bat an eyelid and said she was thinking of relocating to Killiney. I hot footed it home and started to clean out the shed ...when it is cleared we will move into it and put the house up for rent...if we only get half of that 7,000 it will keep us going :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Recession or Opportunity?

Postby Strum » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:39 pm

Rocker wrote: Two years ago I though 2,000 Euros a month to rent a house was a lot!.
The other day a car stopped me in Killiney and the American sounding woman asked me for directions. She had a computer print out of a house to rent...not that big but with a view....can you guess the monthly rent??

€7,000 a month....I nearly fell out of my standing. Your woman the American didn't bat an eyelid and said she was thinking of relocating to Killiney. I hot footed it home and started to clean out the shed ...when it is cleared we will move into it and put the house up for rent...if we only get half of that 7,000 it will keep us going :lol: :lol: :lol:




Wow if they saved that they could buy a house in 2-3 years.
User avatar
Strum
Administrator
 
Posts: 9753
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.

Previous

Return to THE MOAN FORUM



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest