Moan of the Month

Please feel free to post you gripes here.

Re: Moan of the Month

Postby Toss » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Found this site the other day, it has an impressive amount of 'community' jobs on offer https://www.activelink.ie/content/vacancies

Given the number of vacancies and the types of work .... I wonder how anyone over 50 has survived without such supports back in the day ?

Anyone fancy a job as a "Social Prescribing Well-being Coordinator" ?
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
User avatar
Toss
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: A figment of your imagination

Re: Moan of the Month

Postby Rocker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Gosh Thanks Toss for that link. I was just talking to someone today who wants to change jobs and do something more caring. He is fed up with cut throat rat race!!

Can you imagine our poor Mas having any kind of help. They got the very basic read and write education to age 13 then off to make their way in the world. Every day was a struggle but, my Ma got up every day smiled and took on the challenges without widow's pensions or any assistance! She made our clothes, soled our shoes. grew and cooked our food, kept down three jobs, took in alterations, worked into the early hours and expected nothing...that is what kept them going..."there's you and there's it" was her famous saying about any predicament. And, they had to get over any hurdle. Hardship gave them Heart...I remember small work- weary women calling to the door to help in any crisis and to share any nice bit of food.....with all the community workers nowadays there is not much community except in some pretty exceptional estates...stop me raving or I will be bawling about the good old days!!!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Moan of the Month

Postby bugrock » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:02 pm

So right, Rocker!
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
User avatar
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 am
Location: Mornington Peninsula Australia

Re: Moan of the Month

Postby Sinead » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:39 pm

Rocker:

Are you trying to make me feel old? Talking about your Mam out working from the age of 13 - I was 11 when I had my first summer job. Working in a B & B doing anything and everything I was told to by the owner. Had to give up my pay at the end of the week too.
User avatar
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow
 
Posts: 1975
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:09 pm
Location: Co.Dublin

Re: Moan of the Month

Postby Toss » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:09 pm

Sinead wrote:Rocker:
Are you trying to make me feel old? Talking about your Mam out working from the age of 13 - I was 11 when I had my first summer job. Working in a B & B doing anything and everything I was told to by the owner. Had to give up my pay at the end of the week too.


Here's your brother ..... I was certainly working before I was ten. Summer was caddying and helping out (cleaning up, emptying bins etc) at local golf courses and Christmas had me plucking turkeys at the butchers. By the time I was 13, my Dad was dying and I had graduated to weekends in a well known supermarket, by 15 I had left school to start an apprenticeship. All of this time, my mum cleaned houses and we lived in a stone cottage with an outside toilet, no bath/shower and the only hot water was a boiled kettle. When I tell my kids today that Dad had to sleep in a bed with coats for blankets and that the bed had to be kept in the middle of the floor because of the damp on the walls .... they have no idea what a damp wall looks like. We thought we won the lotto when we got a council house after almost ten years fighting (no thanks to Labour's Barry Desmond who would regularly belittle the 15 yr old me in his clinic in front of his mates ..... oh how he laughed, but what goes around, comes around and I gave him a right earful on election day as I stood outside the school telling people not to vote for him).

However we survived, most of my friends were in the same boat and we never expected anything .... you got off your arse and made your own luck. All the while I had ups and downs, rejections and successes. I worked with some really hard men, some nut jobs and some absolute gentlemen, I learned what mattered for myself and don't regret a minute of it. Today all I hear is children's rights and all I read is young people having depression.... I wonder is it because they have never had to break sweat to get what they want?, is it because they never fail at school and are walking out at 24 years of age with reams of certificates and not a clue how to fend for themselves?

If only I had a 'well-being co-ordintor' to tell me when to be happy babbby
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
User avatar
Toss
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: A figment of your imagination

Re: Moan of the Month

Postby bugrock » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 pm

How I hated the 4.00 am rise to start my paper round from Dalkey Station. Rain and snow. Then home for breakfast in time to walk or bus, when we had the money, to Eblana. After school it started all over again. Don't get me started on the hills of Dalkey, and a heavily laden carrier bike full of papers.

How I loved the 4.00 am rise to start my paper round from Dalkey Station. Rain and snow. Then home for breakfast in time to walk or bus, when we had the money, to Eblana. After school it started all over again. Don't get me started on the hills of Dalkey, and a heavily laden carrier bike full of papers.
Then hand over the pay at the end of the week.

Of course the Mammy returned it in spades - clothing, food, a bit of pocket money, mostly love! And I never went without, because Da was never a day out of work.
I really do value the makin's of me! dnc2
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
User avatar
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 am
Location: Mornington Peninsula Australia

Re: Moan of the Month

Postby Rocker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:58 pm

Ha...we really love a good moan. I heard today of the passing of one of my old bosses and it made me think of "the job". What thicks we were going to work with the basic education. However, I soon copped on and worked my proverbials, studied, looked and learned. Whatever I didn't understand I studied up and made sure I knew it the second time.

Now, I'm tired of hearing 25/30 year old students on their doctorate complaining that they can't get a job to match their qualifications! where in God's name do 2million overqualified people hope to find top notch positions in this tiny country, How could we expect them to do menial work and they so qualified !!. I never cared if I was asked to wash the walls or move the furniture or deputise for the bosses or organise a conference for hundreds of delegates. We had stood on our own feet from 10/11 years and I was confident that I could tackle anything thrown my way.

I'm laughing at Toss explaining to the youth about damp walls, outside toilets and coats on the beds. It was only 50 years ago but it is light years to the modern youth. Cop on is what we got in bucketfuls! and common sense and I for one am pleased that we learned the hard way with powerful strong resilient family members...mainly the Ma.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Moan of the Month

Postby Toss » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:35 am

Rocker wrote: I'm laughing at Toss explaining to the youth about damp walls, outside toilets and coats on the beds. It was only 50 years ago but it is light years to the modern youth. Cop on is what we got in bucketfuls! and common sense and I for one am pleased that we learned the hard way with powerful strong resilient family members...mainly the Ma.


You want to see the look of "what" on their faces as I mentioned 'sugar sandwiches' ..... they couldn't believe I went to school with them as my lunch along with a Paddy whiskey naggin bottle full of milk :D

Anyone else have such a treat ?
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
User avatar
Toss
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: A figment of your imagination

Re: Moan of the Month

Postby Micheál » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:39 am

Luxury!
I only had a vest for cover on a three-legged bed . . .

M.
User avatar
Micheál
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2503
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Within the sound of the Hooter

Re: Moan of the Month

Postby Rocker » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:02 am

Micheál wrote:Luxury!
I only had a vest for cover on a three-legged bed . . .

M.


:lol: :lol: :lol: The wooden spoon has been passed on like the baton...long may it rule wuu wuu

We were a bit luxury too...our curdled milk was in the Milk of Magnesia bottle and I don't think it was really washed out from one day to the next....a little rinse is all anything needed! I'm laughing here as I remember a treat one day for lunch my Ma fried up the one remaining sausage and cut it in tiny pieces and put it on the sliced pan...she squeezed it so hard to make sure it stuck that when I opened it at lunch time there was the imprint of her hand on the bread!!...the poor children nowadays with their immaculate lunch boxes and insulated containers are really missing out imagine in 60 years time they will not remember the little treat they had one monday and they certainly will not have had the germ immunisation we had from the very suspect implements which were wiped with the dish cloth...which also wiped the floor and the dog...stop...whose grandchildren wouldn't believe it..we are walking miracles of science...Marie Curie could have used us in culture growth :lol: :lol:
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
 
Posts: 6424
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: The Rock

Re: Moan of the Month

Postby Micheál » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Rocker wrote:
Micheál wrote:Luxury!
I only had a vest for cover on a three-legged bed . . .

M.


:lol: :lol: :lol: The wooden spoon has been passed on like the baton...long may it rule wuu wuu

We were a bit luxury too...our curdled milk was in the Milk of Magnesia bottle and I don't think it was really washed out from one day to the next....a little rinse is all anything needed! I'm laughing here as I remember a treat one day for lunch my Ma fried up the one remaining sausage and cut it in tiny pieces and put it on the sliced pan...she squeezed it so hard to make sure it stuck that when I opened it at lunch time there was the imprint of her hand on the bread!!...the poor children nowadays with their immaculate lunch boxes and insulated containers are really missing out imagine in 60 years time they will not remember the little treat they had one monday and they certainly will not have had the germ immunisation we had from the very suspect implements which were wiped with the dish cloth...which also wiped the floor and the dog...stop...whose grandchildren wouldn't believe it..we are walking miracles of science...Marie Curie could have used us in culture growth :lol: :lol:


I've heard of "eating out of the palm of your hand" but this is simply Brilliant! wuu wuu
User avatar
Micheál
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2503
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Within the sound of the Hooter

Previous

Return to THE MOAN FORUM



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron