Just to let you know...

Anything relating to politics whatsoever to be posted here specifically. You may start as many topics as you like.

Re: Just to let you know...

Postby Toss » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:57 pm

gingertom wrote:
Rocker wrote:I for one don't air problematic views. I air my views. Other people might have a problem with them.The one great advantage I have found living in Ireland is that I have freedom of expression. Travelling in Asia and Europe I have met people of all generations who have lived under the most repressive regimes and lived in fear of their lives for opening their mouths. Lord spare us that ever the irish should be beaten down or lose their freedom of speech.

Agreed.

Freedom of speech needs to be maintained, but more and more I see scenarios arise where people are afriad to speak up because of peer pressure and that peer pressure eminates from media indoctrination ..... these days, if some ficticious scenario is enacted often enough on TV, it then becomes accepted in real life.

In my opinion, just because we have foreign TV series showing attention seeking young people behaving badly abroad on holidays ..... it should not be seen as acceptable behaviour in our society. People still know right from wrong, but the lines are getting blurred by the day and anyone who tries to stop the rot will soon see how deep the problem is. The problem is all around us, society is losing its structure and we are seeing more and more pychos killing people like that poor nurse in Scotland. I have no idea what the simple answer is, but I do believe we all need to speak up if we see something wrong.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby gingertom » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:16 pm

Toss wrote:
gingertom wrote:
Rocker wrote:I for one don't air problematic views. I air my views. Other people might have a problem with them.The one great advantage I have found living in Ireland is that I have freedom of expression. Travelling in Asia and Europe I have met people of all generations who have lived under the most repressive regimes and lived in fear of their lives for opening their mouths. Lord spare us that ever the irish should be beaten down or lose their freedom of speech.

Agreed.

Freedom of speech needs to be maintained, but more and more I see scenarios arise where people are afriad to speak up because of peer pressure and that peer pressure eminates from media indoctrination ..... these days, if some ficticious scenario is enacted often enough on TV, it then becomes accepted in real life.

In my opinion, just because we have foreign TV series showing attention seeking young people behaving badly abroad on holidays ..... it should not be seen as acceptable behaviour in our society. People still know right from wrong, but the lines are getting blurred by the day and anyone who tries to stop the rot will soon see how deep the problem is. The problem is all around us, society is losing its structure and we are seeing more and more pychos killing people like that poor nurse in Scotland. I have no idea what the simple answer is, but I do believe we all need to speak up if we see something wrong.

Again I say the freedom of speech is not an absolute right. It is relative to the content of the views expressed.
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby grammer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:33 pm

We only think we have the freedoms -
but we give our personal and private details away left right and centre.
Look at the way for instance-your local supermarket -if you have a club card -your buying habits are recorded and tracked -so they will target you with special offers etc.
You give away your personal details -credit card number to a computer every time you buy on line or use it in a shop.-
They have your name -address your phone number ---
(Look at the way phone companies that you were signed up to -will call you to offer you special deals to sign up again-
They have your details still-)
Your mobile -what info did you give the company when you signed up????
You are on the census -the local voting register
UPC/Sky/Gas company/Electric company/Your Waste company/TV license/dog license
your Life/Home/Car insurance company
The Doctor /The Dentist /Hospital and so on
Everything about you is stored away on computer databases-
If and when the day comes -Big Brother will have no bother putting it all together
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby gingertom » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:17 pm

grammer wrote:We only think we have the freedoms -
Look at the way for instance-your local supermarket -if you have a club card -your buying habits are recorded and tracked -so they will target you with special offers etc.
You give away your personal details -credit card number to a computer every time you buy on line or use it in a shop.-
(Look at the way phone companies that you were signed up to -will call you to offer you special deals to sign up again-
If and when the day comes -Big Brother will have no bother putting it all together

Much of the information highlighted above is bought and traded between businessess already.You make a purchase in a store or even over the phone to a chinese takeaway and they request your phone number to check for an address on their database to locate your address.If you do not formally request the business not to pass your data onto a third party they may do so, charging another for the service.Perfectly legal to do so.I suspect that we are only a short time away from cashless payments everywhere using moblie phone technology.In some places it is happening now.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:50 pm

Its been that way for years and getting worse, I think its too late given the Facebook generation who upload pics of their every move with gleeful abandon. Mobile phones. mobile banking, mobile wifi, sat navs, google maps .... people are owned by technology and privacy is a thing of the past and freedom is an illusion.
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby gingertom » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:08 pm

Toss wrote:

Its been that way for years and getting worse, I think its too late given the Facebook generation who upload pics of their every move with gleeful abandon. Mobile phones. mobile banking, mobile wifi, sat navs, google maps .... people are owned by technology and privacy is a thing of the past and freedom is an illusion.

Again the right to privacy does exist but with conditions applying.Constitutional law stipulates this. It is not an illusion.We can choose to or not, to put such information alluded to above, online for the public to view. To do such, gives this right away.Do I detect a significant note of despair and possible paranoia contained in the above post?
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:33 pm

gingertom wrote:I think that Strum has a very difficult job weeding out the problematic views aired in this public forum.

Thanks you for the comments GT I appreciate them, but hey seriously it's not a problem on this site. If anybody has ever been out of order here you can most likely point the finger at me, I'll accept that. :oops:
It was only recently I was thinking is there any point in keeping it running because social media sites have more or less almost made chat forums like these obsolete, BUT, with the recent input I'm thinking, what the hell, where else would you get it?
Long live personal opinions! ;) :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:42 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Again the right to privacy does exist but with conditions applying.Constitutional law stipulates this. It is not an illusion.We can choose to or not, to put such information alluded to above, online for the public to view. To do such, gives this right away.Do I detect a significant note of despair and possible paranoia contained in the above post?

No far from it GT.
As has been said above the way people give away their private details left right and center -makes me smile-

Here's one for instance- Panda Waste

Here's another from Spotify
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34016658
What about the Madison site thingy -37 million people playing offside and now xxxting themselves -cos hackers have their details
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Toss » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:44 pm

gingertom wrote:Again the right to privacy does exist but with conditions applying.Constitutional law stipulates this. It is not an illusion.We can choose to or not, to put such information alluded to above, online for the public to view. To do such, gives this right away.Do I detect a significant note of despair and possible paranoia contained in the above post?

I think despair more than paranoia, if I use the internet I am open to all sorts of spying / prying as I leave a trail of my usage. If I have a mobile smartphone, every app I have will be sending feedback about me to companies etc. Almost everything I do is monitored in one way or another and tbh I just accept it as the way of the world these days as I have nothing worth hiding.

Talking about the right to privacy is easy, but exercising it is another matter .... lets say I want to exercise my right to privacy and I go out for a walk, how do I get the myriad of CCTV cameras to not record my steps as I have no control over them or no idea who is watching me.
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby gingertom » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:11 pm

Toss wrote:
gingertom wrote:Again the right to privacy does exist but with conditions applying.Constitutional law stipulates this. It is not an illusion.We can choose to or not, to put such information alluded to above, online for the public to view. To do such, gives this right away.Do I detect a significant note of despair and possible paranoia contained in the above post?

I think despair more than paranoia, if I use the internet I am open to all sorts of spying / prying as I leave a trail of my usage. If I have a mobile smartphone, every app I have will be sending feedback about me to companies etc. Almost everything I do is monitored in one way or another and tbh I just accept it as the way of the world these days as I have nothing worth hiding.

Talking about the right to privacy is easy, but exercising it is another matter .... lets say I want to exercise my right to privacy and I go out for a walk, how do I get the myriad of CCTV cameras to not record my steps as I have no control over them or no idea who is watching me.

I think the key to this is the potential of illegal use of personal data which may result in a tort(wrongful act) upon the individual concerned. I must say that steps taken in public are seen by people as you take them..should the public look the other way?????
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby gingertom » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:31 pm

Strum wrote:
gingertom wrote:I think that Strum has a very difficult job weeding out the problematic views aired in this public forum.

Thanks you for the comments GT I appreciate them, but hey seriously it's not a problem on this site. If anybody has ever been out of order here you can most likely point the finger at me, I'll accept that. :oops:
It was only recently I was thinking is there any point in keeping it running because social media sites have more or less almost made chat forums like these obsolete, BUT, with the recent input I'm thinking, what the hell, where else would you get it?
Long live personal opinions! ;) :D

Agreed Strum.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:37 pm

gingertom wrote: I must say that steps taken in public are seen by people as you take them..should the public look the other way?????

People do not have a record and playback facility :roll: so how can I exercise my right to privacy if cctv is recording me without my permission in a public place ?
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby gingertom » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:43 pm

Toss wrote:
gingertom wrote: I must say that steps taken in public are seen by people as you take them..should the public look the other way?????

People do not have a record and playback facility :roll: so how can I exercise my right to privacy if cctv is recording me without my permission in a public place ?

Human memory is the comparator.Video is a undisputed method of recording provided it is of sufficient quality to interpret correctly but held human memory is the very essence of evidential theory.It is playedback when one recalls an event.The issue is how it is used Toss.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:33 pm

tort

Coincidence you said that. In a book I'm reading, a passage came up today about a woman who took a firearms company to court for manufacturing the weapon that killed her husband. I think a tort happened out of it where a lawyer took on lots of cases.
Tobacco companies were "torted" years back for not listing the carcinogenic ingredients in the cigarettes...
And lots more, Erin Brockovich, etc....
So do you think we can start a mass sue-ing of marketing companies or gawd forbid the "government" for spying on us without consent?

No! You didn't STUDY the T and C's fully. Have you read them for this site for instance? :mrgreen:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/ucp.php?mode=terms

Remember when we could read the ingredients on a cornflake box and now you need a mircoscope? Why? Because most people don't care what's in the "food" they're eating anymore.

"They" have us all by the goolies now whether we like it or not. :?
You don't only have to worry about who's watching you on cctv, see how used to that we are now so quickly, you are not even aware of it anymore, good subtle move that was, but now your every shread of personal details are owned by banks and corporates. IMHO, our rights and freedoms are heading out the door, and this is all just the start of it.

Live long and prosper while we have it folks. Nanu Nanu! ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:46 am

gingertom wrote:
Toss wrote:

People do not have a record and playback facility :roll: how can I exercise my right to privacy if cctv is recording me without my permission in a public place ?

Human memory is the comparator.Video is a undisputed method of recording provided it is of sufficient quality to interpret correctly but held human memory is the very essence of evidential theory.It is playedback when one recalls an event.The issue is how it is used Toss.

Is that the answer to my question (in blue above) or are you still making an earlier point, sorry GT but I'm getting confused now.

Strum ..... I think we are in agreement, the jeanie is out of the box in terms of privacy and its far too late to reverse the process.
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:16 am

Toss wrote:Strum ..... I think we are in agreement, the jeanie is out of the box in terms of privacy and its far too late to reverse the process.

Thanks Toss, scary thing is that we have no idea what has already been implemented behind closed doors (IW for i.e) for the future.
Am I a paranoid, cynical, sceptical, out of touch individual or can I see through all the political garbage staring me in the face, being slapped in the face with it, helpless to change it? Yeah something like that.
You all know "Reeling in the years" on AreTE and an interesting aspect I noticed is that we don't have any "politicians" anymore that come from a conviction.
Fitzgerald is the last Taoiseach I notice who spoke from the head and not a script.
No buts and ems and er, (fumbling and rustling of papers) to distract you.
The only person I would give a vote to anymore is one with true conviction, and there are some very good candidates on this site. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby bugrock » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:27 am

Thank you, Strum.
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Strum » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:02 am

bugrock wrote:Thank you, Strum.

You have my vote Bugs. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:02 am

Just for the record, I have no convictions :shock:
(Though I was, in my youth, briefly "a person of interest" in relation to a lack of illumination on my bicycle)
M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Dancer » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:45 am

Well I vowed two weeks ago that I would learn to wipe my ar$e with my left hand , ''twas hard going
at first but through sheer courage and determination I achieved great success. Now there's conviction for ya :D
I can also peel a mango holding a knife in my left hand ....it has to be ripe and juicy though !
:P dnc1 hellllo
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Rocker » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:49 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: As me ma used to say "Life is one long learning curve" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Talk about spluttering my coffee all over the computer :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby gingertom » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:40 pm

No! You didn't STUDY the T and C's fully. Have you read them for this site for instance? :mrgreen:

I have Strum.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:30 pm

gingertom wrote:I have Strum.

Anything interesting in it? :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby gingertom » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:28 pm

Strum wrote:
gingertom wrote:I have Strum.

Anything interesting in it? :D

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/ ... index.html

I would look at your definitions and pay attention to Part 2 Sect 6.
Also I would consider Part 3 Sect 24.As you have taken responsibility as an admin I would read this Act and research further.
In addition Part 3 Section 20 may be of interest to you.
Pro bono.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby gingertom » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:46 pm

bugrock wrote:At no point have I labelled political posts as offensive. I have only tried to point out that I am not literate enough to follow all the posts. When the same type of posts enter a few different topics it's then I think they should have their own topic.
I make no apologies for my lack of eloquent verbalisation - I am who I am - and love to post about various subjects and topics.
With the political( with which I'm cool) links and discussions on different topics, from which would you have me unsubscribe.
By the way, I have nothing but admiration for Strum who does a fantastic job keeping it all together. But at the same time I miss the posts from the likes of Gulliver, Jordo, Jaytee etc.
I have no intention of quitting this site either. It's still the best and most honest way to talk to the friends I don't know.
I too have used the word legalese, probably the wrong way way. Sorry GT. But a CBS education only goes so far - but I can tell you a lot about the saints and hell and damnation instead. :lol:
Finally - I have no complaint about Strum. In fact I hope one day to shake his hand!
Beam me up, Dancer!

Bugrock I attended Eblana CBS primary and secondary.In education we have a common thread.
gingertom
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Politics