Water and other political issues.

Anything relating to politics whatsoever to be posted here specifically. You may start as many topics as you like.

Re: Water and other political issues.

Postby Toss » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Welcome to your new school teacher ....

Stupidity rules the world BangHead
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby gingertom » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:37 pm

Toss wrote:Welcome to your new school teacher ....

Stupidity rules the world BangHead

Only if you feel unlucky punk........... ;)
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:46 pm

Gosh I really can't believe what I am hearing this morning. A small concealed handgun for the school teacher!!!!. Can any of you older members imagine just how our educators would have "loved" a small concealed handgun. Certainly beats the "strap", the leather or the leg of the chair so beloved in the 50's and 60's. I for one would have been dead and buried in the 60's !!!!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:51 pm

Go ahead punk indeed and we all know someone will :lol:

Rocker wrote:Gosh I really can't believe what I am hearing this morning. A small concealed handgun for the school teacher!!!!. Can any of you older members imagine just how our educators would have "loved" a small concealed handgun. Certainly beats the "strap", the leather or the leg of the chair so beloved in the 50's and 60's. I for one would have been dead and buried in the 60's !!!!

No way Rocker...... they would have used lead pellets and made sure you suffered long and hard on your knees as you couldnt sit down. Killing you was never the intention, it was all about the misery and suffering with our old school sadists aawhip aawhip aawhip
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby gingertom » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Firearms have no place at the hip of teacher in any school anywhere. Recently we saw a possessor of a firearm who was designated to protect teenage school-kids, who chose to refuse to go into the school building and use the firearm at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida. If a Deputy cannot muster the gumption to engage fire with an active gunman, how can one who has chosen to encourage human learning, a 'real' teacher, ever be capable to acquire the ability, or be expected so to do and to continue to work every day knowing that they may have to terminate life as a constituent part of their job......which also involves grading homework.What happens to them after they have been involved in such an event? Even if they have successfully 'neutralised' an assailant, it would surely make the experience all the more horrifying for all involved. It would be grossly unfair to put the 'use of lethal force responsibility' upon those who are really there to add to human experience and learning for youths. Any 'teacher' who is prepared to take the life of a shooter, or assume the function to do so, of a person who is usually a disgruntled, disorientated and mentally ill "near-adult" (because generally they are disaffected, recent former students) have no place at the top of any class and endowed with the responsibility to guide youth, anywhere, in this world. Maybe special needs assistants should check their terms and conditions.......it's such a ridiculous suggestion.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:54 pm

Well said GT. This is a from a former firearms officer regarding the ability to take on shooters in lethal situations (warning - it's a bit lengthy):

"If you own a gun and think you are prepared to defend yourself and others, let me ask you some questions:

-Have you trained at shooting moving targets?
-Have you thought about the fact than an assailant might not be standing with their entire torso facing you straight on like they do on the paper target?
-Have you trained in low light?
-Have you trained in no light?

-Can you load and unload your weapon in no light?
-Have you trained at shooting from the hip?
-Do you know how to disarm an assailant with a pistol and/or long gun at close range?
-Do you know how to prevent being disarmed by someone at close range?
-Do you know what a tactical reload is?
-Can you shoot with one hand?
-Can you reload your weapon with only the use of one hand?
-Can you do all of the above with your weak hand?
-If your strong arm suddenly became unusable could you both shoot and reload your weapon with the use of only your weak-side arm?
-Do you understand that tunnel vision can (and likely will) keep you from noticing anything other than 1 threat at a time?
-Would you know how to address 2 imminent threats?
-What about 3 imminent threats?
-Do you know the difference between cover and concealment?
-Have you shot your weapon from behind cover, in prone position, or from a supine position?
-Are you justified shooting someone with a knife?
-What if they have a knife but are 20 feet away? What about 30 feet? What if it’s a pocketknife, a butter knife, or a baseball bat? What about scissors?
-Should you shoot someone if they’re holding a gun to someone’s head?
-What if they’re holding a knife to someone’s throat?
-Can you take a human life?
-Can you do any combination of the above with adrenaline surging through your body, your pulse and breathing at likely double their resting rate?
-Do you know you’ll lose control of your fine motor skills under these physical stresses?

As someone who was a teacher, I can assure you that no teacher wants such responsibility. It is my humble opinion that dealing with guns and gun laws is a total waste of time unless the elephant in the room is addressed ........ the widespeard TV / Media promotion of violence. I believe we have reared generation upon generation on a diet of guns and violence, mainstream TV has lost any sense of responsibility and exists to pander to the excesses of life. The chickens are coming home to roost and the masses are so dumbed down that they cannot see why life is mimicking art .... Grand Theft Auto rules the world !!!
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby gingertom » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:56 pm

It is certainly a fact that the child's play of 'cowboys and indians' that I remember, has become a screen generated cyber experience of armchair protected one-sided victory for the computer-shooter...There is no doubt (and I can provide evidence) that exposure to these games significantly reduces the ability for those players to apply empathy to something as simple as everyday life, especially regarding those who over indulge in such games.Cyber-violence, once employed when one engages the use of a cyber-gun or cyber-weapon,and within a video-game, undoubtedly allow those 'computer-shooters' to engage in violent acts, which don't allow the victim a right of reply. This gives the aggressor an unreal sense of supremacy and consequent invincibility, which results in a de-sensitisation of the game player to consider human life as a simple right of existence.
Pulling the plug might be electric.....Toss....keep the faith.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby bugrock » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:27 am

Two very well put points of view.
When a handgun was pointed at me by a drunk, that .32 suddenly looked like a .88.
I was only a hero in my own lunchtime!
Well said, fellas.
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Strum » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:58 am

Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:01 pm

I'd laugh ... if it were not true BangHead
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:18 pm

If Trump had been there he would have went straight in and confronted the shooter,what a man. The fact that he evaded the army draft 5 times in America is beside the point. dontknow
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Toss » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:10 pm

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/all-this-over-an-unpaid-tv-licence-innocent-young-woman-sent-to-mountjoy-prison-in-case-of-mistaken-identity-36685145.html

You couldnt make it up .....

There was a knock on the door and there were two guards there from Tullamore Garda Station, they asked if my name is Amy but they never asked for my second name. "They said I was due in court the day before and had never shown up and that there was a warrant for my arrest," Amy said. She explained to the gardai that she had been collecting stamps for her TV licence and the TV inspector had only called to her door the day before and said everything was above board. She asked to see the arrest warrant a couple of times but they said she would have to come to the garda station to look at it.

I wonder what happened to the Garda and the Prison Officers involved, as they all seemed to act without the necessary documentation ? ..... a cynic might suggest low hanging fruit to bump up arrest stats BangHead
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Toss » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:42 pm

...50139 ....

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-n ... 0-14407998

Shusssh how dare they suggest that wealthy private clubs and schools are not entitled to help themselves to tax payers money !!! what is the country coming to, when you cant look after your own first.

BangHead BangHead I suspect Mr Ross* will not be advocating an election any time soon.

*Its the same Shane Ross who recently said "some senior politicians are ‘joined at the hip to the judiciary" .... maybe he wants to join the club.
SHAME Ross hellllo
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Makes very interesting reading Toss.
My brother used to say "if you have it, you get it!"

A few months ago I realised just how out of touch I was. I was having a cup of coffee with a very diverse group and the conversation came to funding for community projects. I was flabbergasted at how much the various organisations had got!! It dawned on me then that the clubs and organisations in the more affluent areas had accountants, solicitors, bankers etc on their boards, maybe even politically connected people and they heard about the various grants and had the nouse to know how and when to apply. I'd say what is happening in the poorer clubs in disadvantaged areas is they don't have enough lets say "well connected" members with enough "clout" to get their project considered. Like anything else in life it is how you present the application. I for one hadn't the foggiest clue that so much money was out there!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Rocker wrote: I for one hadn't the foggiest clue that so much money was out there!!

Sadly people don't ask enough questions and are far too happy to nod approval for an easy life ...... all the politicians have to do is highlight the facts that suit their agenda and its job done. I was talking to someone recently and the DLRCC Lexicon building was brought up .... I commented on how information on the tender process for that building seemed scarce to say the least, he laughed and said it was probably thrown in the furnace to help keep the heating going after they discovered their fantastic eco friendly wood pellet burning system was in fact a waste of money as it used a years supply of pellets in a few months and was ditched within a year of opening :lol: :lol: :lol: no questions asked and no one held responsible for such a waste of public funds.... and all the while people are lying on trolleys in hospitals and the homeless are used to fill hotel rooms.
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby gingertom » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:34 am

A freedom of information request is appropriate here. As ever, the wording of such is crucial to extract maximum value. Most of the keywords are noted in the previous posts here to eviscerate the truth, if it has been hidden. Redaction is the thing to avoid so a generality in the request with the use and inclusion of words (conveyed with a kind of veiled specificity) that mirrors and 'hits' the documented records held, will always be an effective request. It is always within the public interest to hold all authority to account. Toss, I share your desire for societal fairness but we must never ignore our human competitive nature, which colours our thoughts universally.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Cambridge Analytics exposed on Ch4 .... is it the tip of the ice berg in terms of whats going on with media manipulation ?
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby gingertom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Yes Toss. When we go online we must always check and consider what info we make available to the host, they way in which it is stored and if it passed on to third parties.Also the public who may be able to view such information.

Max Schrems is the Austrian law student who predicted this very thing being done by Facebook.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tec ... -1.2965482

It will be the tip of the ice-berg. Don't forget the dark-web and its sinister capabilities, yet to be eviscerated.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:30 am

Way back one of our posters used to post old Irish Election Literature. I heard an interview on Newstalk this morning with just such a collector and I remembered those great posts.

Check out this website

https://irishelectionliterature.com/
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:31 am

Can't believe it is 20 years since the signing of the Good Friday agreement.

I wouldn't be a fan of Berties but, saw the interview with Ray D'Arcy of George Mitchell and Bertie the other night and really saw Bertie in a new light. Good interview. George Mitchell very interesting character.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:43 pm

Rocker wrote:Can't believe it is 20 years since the signing of the Good Friday agreement.
have they learned anything as the band played Waltzing Mathilda ... argueee

In other news ..... the annual joy riding championship is due back in town ! you can go down and learn all the latest dangerous tricks and stunts to try out in your estate.

ROUND 2 – DRIFT ON THE DOCKS 2
Dún Laoghaire – May 26 & 27, 2018

Due to future plans made by the Dublin Port Authority, this is the final time the Irish Drift Championship will transform the decommissioned ferry terminal at Dún Laoghaire harbour into a purpose-built drift circuit.

Last year’s event sold-out in under 4 hours and certainly lived up to the anticipation and the constant action, breathtaking backdrop and stadium-like atmosphere make this event unmissable for any true Irish Drift Championship fan.

Do not miss your final chance to see Ireland’s best drivers battle it out in the most unique venue ever perceived. One final event in Dún Laoghaire? It’s time to go even BIGGER!

Monkey see, monkey do.... this is drifting unregulated and on Irish public roads

So the next time you see all those circular tyre marks on the road, you will know that its only a bit of sport eh ... until something goes wrong that is.
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby keeper » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:17 pm

So true Toss, I stayed in a hotel in Letterkenny near where there was a huge open space earmarked for development, it had already been surfaced, I was woken up by screeching brakes and roaring engines at 1am !!! I had a grandstand view of this spectacular show till nearly 2.30am ! I along with others rang reception to complain, we were told nothing could be done about it, guards knew about it but left them to it, it was a regular occurrence. No wonder the roads of Donegal are so dangerous, I have witnessed some really scary moments up there while driving.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby gingertom » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:35 pm

keeper wrote:So true Toss, I stayed in a hotel in Letterkenny near where there was a huge open space earmarked for development, it had already been surfaced, I was woken up by screeching brakes and roaring engines at 1am !!! I had a grandstand view of this spectacular show till nearly 2.30am ! I along with others rang reception to complain, we were told nothing could be done about it, guards knew about it but left them to it, it was a regular occurrence. No wonder the roads of Donegal are so dangerous, I have witnessed some really scary moments up there while driving.

I wonder was this land "ear-marked" for development and in private hands to facilitate the practice? It may have a big bearing on how such problems can be dealt with by the authorities. Nuisance, such as that, although very intrusive to those living or staying near it, may be better kept to such enclosures and not on the public roads, for obvious reasons. It must be noted that the noise/nuisance element is usually dealt with by the Local Authority, following from prior Garda intervention, which generally originates from local residents or commercial entities registering objections to the ongoing practice. Clearly if such activity is being perpetrated at 1am, it is conducted at a most inappropriate time and following from some online research Keeper, may have been capable of being understood by you, prior to traveling. Of course this does not mean a hotel guest should endure such inconvenience. Keeper maybe try Trivago's reviews the next time for your hotel though! ;) Maybe this 'spectacular show' that you write about, is the reason why this is a marketable event and is possibly a good thing to attract visitors to any area that organises to have such an event? Like Dún Laoghaire? This activity does happen all over Ireland and its better kept off our roads always. This is probably why such events as Toss has mentioned are confined to enclosed areas such as Toss highlighted and outside our road network.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby keeper » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:49 pm

Gingertom, there's a lot of truth in what you say, I believe the Guards were happy enough to know the drivers were in a "safe" place and not out on the public roads and given Donegal's tragic history maybe that was a good idea. I had no say where I stayed because I was booked into the hotel by my job,and Trivago was yet to hit the Internet !!! I was up there recently and went that way to avoid the town centre and the area is transformed, the hotel now sits in the middle of the usual stores found in the retail parks around our major cities and aforementioned racing track is built over.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby gingertom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:25 pm

When one looks at the approach taken by President Trump by again intervening by missile strike in Syria, I feel it strange that the grounds cited for such action was that of humanitarian. I reference the matter with the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?redir_ ... rks%2F8389

I find this argument especially hypocritical, only when the Trump administration, inter alia other alleged injustices, ignores the humanitarian disaster happening to the Rohingya peoples of Burma (Myanmar). I do appreciate that the Syrian premier, Bashar Al Assad is alleged to have used chemical weapons, such that is prohibited under international customary law. Conversely in Burma the issue is genocide, which is arguably as heinous as the use of weapons of mass destruction because the resulting horror is generally similar in effect.

https://www.opcw.org/our-work/national- ... -database/

We have our own legislation making the production of such prohibited and in line with the international community.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997 ... ed/en/html

Is the Republic of Ireland as neutral as publicly perceived by ourselves in reality?
gingertom
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Politics