Water and other political issues.

Anything relating to politics whatsoever to be posted here specifically. You may start as many topics as you like.

Re: Water and other political issues.

Postby Toss » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:35 pm

Jobs for the boys eh ..... and still they get votes :roll:

A Fine Gael Senator who owes almost €31,000 to taxpayers has had interest on the debt waived by the Houses of the Oireachtas.

Ray Butler received €30,904 in termination payments when he lost his seat as a TD for Meath West in the last General Election.

The parachute payments are made on the basis the recipient ceases to be an Oireachtas member, and Mr Butler signed a declaration indicating he would not subsequently consent to being nominated to the Seanad.

However, he accepted the nomination from Taoiseach Enda Kenny and was appointed to the Upper House on May 27 last year – just three months after losing his seat as a TD.

The parachute money then became immediately repayable.

Records released under the Freedom of Information Act reveal the Houses of the Oireachtas wrote to him seven times seeking to recoup the money without success.

The letters stated: “Contrary to [the regulations] and to the undertaking you signed, you accepted the nomination of the Taoiseach to the Seanad under Article 18.3 of the Constitution.

“On acceptance, you were obliged to ‘immediately refund’ any money paid."

He replied September 21 last year, stating he was “not in a financial position presently to repay this lump sum in its entirety” and suggested doing so in instalments “in accordance with my financial capabilities”.

Following a meeting with the Ceann Comhairle and the Clerk of the Dail in January, an arrangement was put in place for him to pay €1,000 a month.

He previously described the requirement to give back the money as “a ridiculous rule”.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Sinead » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:10 am

This an absolute disgrace, why is this debt not taken from his current salary. If he owed tax
that is what would happen. The bloody cheek of the son of a bachelor.

Sineád
Sinead

Postby Toss » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:38 am

It never ends ...........
Taxpayers will have to pick up most of the tab for the failed High Court action taken by former Rehab chief executive Angela Kerins against the Dáil Public Accounts Committee (PAC).

A ruling yesterday means the PAC, Attorney General and the State face having to pay hundreds of thousand of euro in legal fees, despite winning the case.

Normally losing parties would have to bear all of the costs, expected to be up to €700,000 after the 10-day hearings.

However, a three-judge division of the court ruled the PAC will have to pay two-thirds of Ms Kerins's legal bill.

The PAC will also have to pay its own legal costs on top of that. These stand at €234,000 for work on the case in 2015 and 2016, according to documents released to the Irish Independent under Freedom of Information rules.

The two other defendants in the case, the State and the Attorney General, will also have to pay their own legal costs, as yet undisclosed, after failing to secure orders for costs against Ms Kerins.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/taxpayer-left-with-big-legal-bill-despite-state-winning-kerins-case-35598610.html

As usual the only ones making money are the legal eagles playing both sides of the fence ..... why should we pay when some greedyguts is not happy with her huge salary being questioned ? ............. its a sick joke.
Toss

Postby grammer » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:55 am

Ah sure we're a great little country are'nt we- as long as you are at the top of the heap-
money no object -
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-keep screwing the little guy into the ground -------
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Free water in Ireland – but only if you’re a corporation.

http://www.right2water.ie/blog/free-wat ... orporation
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:21 pm

Strum wrote:Free water in Ireland – but only if you’re a corporation.

http://www.right2water.ie/blog/free-wat ... orporation

Like I said on Nov 29th last year ... Ballygowan Water is owned by Britvic which is a company registered on the London Stock Exchange and have recorded profits of €90.68m for last year. Lets not forget with annual exports of more than €800 million, Diageo Ireland is one of Ireland's most important exporters in the high value-added food and beverage category...... thats EIGHT HUNDRED MILLION EUROS and remind me again, how much is paid in water tax ???????
Toss

Postby Toss » Tue May 16, 2017 11:22 am

Ha ha I read that we sold off the LE Aisling €100,000 and now its being resold for €650,000+ ..... nice work lads.

Its also re-reported that many Irish Universities have millions of euros in cash reserves stashed away in various accounts, while still pleading poverty and increasing fees..... this is from 2015 :

The Dáil's spending watchdog is to investigate an "anomalous" €160m cash mountain in Irish universities which is growing by €30m a year, the Irish Independent can reveal.

The substantial cash reserves have arisen since 2009 when pension schemes in five universities were transferred into the central State fund.

However, the Higher Education Authority (HEA) has continued to pay €30m a year into the universities as if their schemes were still operating, and TDs are now demanding answers as to what is going on.

The universities at the centre of the new investigation by the Dáil's Public Accounts Committee (PAC) are: University College Dublin, University College Cork, NUI Galway, NUI Maynooth and Trinity College Dublin.

Two years later and its still ongoing, our spending watchdog must be a great place to while away the hours. Its your classic set up an enquiry put it on the back burner... probably a week to discover the facts and two years working on protecting the golden circle from any negative outages.
Toss

Postby Rocker » Sun May 21, 2017 2:42 am

Wouldn't it make your blood boil. I'd say they don't know what ti investigate next. Keep the lid on all the cans of worms!!!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Re: Water and other political issu

Postby Micheál » Sun May 21, 2017 8:47 am

Rocker wrote:Wouldn't it make your blood boil. I'd say they don't know what ti investigate next. Keep the lid on all the cans of worms!!!

BREAKING: Worm Can Scandal!
Worms found to be only half their traditional length. And cans half empty too. Defenders say this is a safety measure to reduce weight and avoid heavy lifting.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Sun May 21, 2017 10:09 am

Rocker, could you not sleep!

I wonder are these funds in the universities or in their 'Foundations'?
The universities are publicly funded but the foundations are charitable
trusts set up to garner funds wherever they can. This can of worms may
well bring Data Protection issues to the fore.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby keeper » Tue May 23, 2017 8:23 pm

Seanie Fitz cleared of all charges !! Nice one !! BangHead BangHead I hope he starts looking after all the people whose lives he destroyed, the Golden Circle lives again BangHead BangHead
keeper

Postby Toss » Tue May 23, 2017 8:41 pm

keeper wrote:Seanie Fitz cleared of all charges !! Nice one !! BangHead BangHead I hope he starts looking after all the people whose lives he destroyed, the Golden Circle lives again BangHead BangHead

In the modern world we live in, there is such a thing as planned obsolescence whene items are designed to break down and this same type of theory strikes me as a core issue here ..... was it a planned failure by the state in this case?

Lets face it ...... if a major corporation lost a big contract due to basic incompetence from a staff member, then there would be sacking with immediate effect. Will anyone ever lose their job for Fitz getting off the hook ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? not a chance, a complete set up from start to finish and mission accomplished as the golden circle remains untouchable.
Toss

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed May 24, 2017 9:01 am

It's a scandal. It's like living in a Banana Republic. Have money, will get off.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Rocker » Wed May 24, 2017 5:47 pm

keeper wrote:Seanie Fitz cleared of all charges !! Nice one !! BangHead BangHead I hope he starts looking after all the people whose lives he destroyed, the Golden Circle lives again BangHead BangHead

Unreal stuff. He must have been laughing himself silly throughout the event knowing that the charges wouldn't stick. He would have had clued in legal advice who would see all the holes and pitfalls. I am so sad and all I can think of is those tapes which were leaked from other Anglo Irish lads...

http://www.thejournal.ie/the-anglo-tape ... 7-Jun2013/

what is the expression "laughing all the way to the bank"!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Wed May 24, 2017 11:26 pm

For me, the most scandalous aspect is the fact that the trial was 'doomed' to fail - following a similar acquittal in a separate trial in 2015. Despite this, the Judge and the DPP allowed the trial run on to become the longest trial in Irish Legal history, with Senior Coucels retained, Jurists retained, court capacity tied up to become just a cosy academic think-in, all paid for by you and me.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Toss » Thu May 25, 2017 12:03 pm

Micheál wrote:For me, the most scandalous aspect is the fact that the trial was 'doomed' to fail M.

As I said ... it was a planned failure on the states part and there's no repercussions as everyone is 'in' on the gravy train wuu

Also lets not forget that poor St Joan's false imprisonment saga will also cost the state a fortune as it trundles to a 'here's a warning' solution (although it would be hilarious if they jailed the protesters while Seanie smirks in the background). I actually think Burton and the Labour party missed an absolute sitter here ..... all she had to do was say she didnt want charges brought and refuse to give evidence. No doubt she could have been held for contempt of court and that would have made her a lot more popular with the people as well as giving the Labour Party some chance of a come back, instead she / they have alienated themselves from their own voters in key areas.

Sadly you cant get a Masters in common sense and finding a solution to problems is now so top heavy with 'experts' that no one can see the wood from the trees.
Toss

Postby Strum » Sat May 27, 2017 12:33 am

A good summary in five minutes.

https://www.facebook.com/IrelandAlterna ... f=NEWSFEED

Dear Fitz (The Banker's Lament) - Mick Blake.

Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Sat May 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Toss, while I agree with most of what you say about the Trial, I have to take issue with the Joan Burton
incident. Three people were trapped in a car for some time, not very pleasant for those in the car.
It is lucky there was no medical incident with those in the car, otherwise it could be a more serious
charge, for the 'law maker', councillors and whoever else is under charge.
Apart from that, it was a very bad example from 'responsible adults' to give children.

In the matter of the trial, when it was known that documents had been shredded the DPP should
not have sent the case forward for trial.

Sinéad

p.s. I have no political preference
Sinead

Postby Toss » Sat May 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Sinead wrote:Toss, while I agree with most of what you say about the Trial, I have to take issue with the Joan Burton
incident. Three people were trapped in a car for some time, not very pleasant for those in the car.
It is lucky there was no medical incident with those in the car, otherwise it could be a more serious
charge, for the 'law maker', councillors and whoever else is under charge.
Apart from that, it was a very bad example from 'responsible adults' to give children.

In the matter of the trial, when it was known that documents had been shredded the DPP should
not have sent the case forward for trial.

Sinéad

p.s. I have no political preference

My main issue with this is simple ....... it was allowed escalate and a complete set up from start to finish. Joan Burton knew full well the risk when she decided to go there, she and her advisors knew there would be protesters and she chose to play the martyr card. For me to have any sympathy for her, she would have have to have been a victim of a sudden unexpected premeditated attack, but she was not and it was obvious that she knew the risk in advance (hence the Garda back up standing back and watching from a distance). There is a high level of planning that goes into a Ministerial visit such as her's that day and there is no way any risks are taken unless its of benefit to said Minister. How come we are not seeing pictures of the wrecked car with all the damage that was done in the so called attack?

All state cars have drivers and are not left unattended and unlocked .... so how did the two women gain access to the car ? where was the driver ?

Here we had a handful of loudmouths allowed unrestricted access to the Ministers bulletproof Merc as the Gardai stood off ...... can you tell me why ?

If its all about the fact that the state does not want people to be imprisoned in their cars ..... then what about all the other similar incidents that happen on a regular basis, why is this the only case being persued by the powers that be?

I too have no politial preference, but I do prefer honesty and the spin and waste of money on this has been nothing short of outragous ...... why did no one ask about the preparations ahead of her visit ? why is that not being discussed?. Thats were the truth is and I have no doubt the Gardai and civil service advisors were more than aware of the risk. It was allowed to happen.... it dosent take a genius to work out why.
Toss

Postby Rocker » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:57 am

Well....another day...another scandal...just starting to read up about the college at Templemore. But one of the questions niggling me is why they closed the College in 2011?? freeze on Garda recruitement??? problems with the running of it? messy book keeping?? :shock: :shock:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Despite not be able to fund housing, health or education ..... our great leaders have managed to find €880million for state employee wage increases, yes thats EIGHT HUNDRED AND EIGHTY MILLION EUROS. After all that hard work, it must be time for the poor elected representatives to give themselves another little rise BangHead

It appears to me that we are not learning, we still look no further than the UK for ideas ....... we have copied their route to privatisation, copied their thrash TV and been inundated with such great informative platforms as the 'Irish' Sun / Star / Mirror etc. .....here's the views from someone in the UK about his recent trip to Germany :

..just back from a week visiting two sets of UK friends who have recently moved to Germany.

The first thing that struck me was the quality of houses they had. One moved from a tiny terraced house in Cambridge to a lovely house with masses of living space, 20 minutes from the centre of Munich on great (and cheap £50 a month unlimited, transferable ticket) public transport.
Second lot have a huge modern detached house in northern Bavaria which costs less in rent than their ex-council house in Woking. And all their German friends think they are massively overpaying.

The second was the quality of infrastructure. Not only the roads (albeit good roads require lots of roadworks) but the general facilities. Great cycle paths everywhere, ridiculously clean and tidy towns, well located and generally free car parks and the public swimming pool we went to had 11 different pools and cost £6 for as long as you wanted to use it.

Salaries seemed just as high but working hours were much shorter. My friend works for a huge multinational (on a transfer from the UK) and was told they should be out the door at 5pm at the latest most days. In the UK they regularly work an extra 5-10 hours a week yet seem to get less done.

There are obviously things that don't work so well. The banking system seems to be one big complaint of ex-pats.

The main thing though was that they seem to have a concern for the public good that the UK doesn't. When I expressed surprise to a German that the swimming pool was publicly owned they said something along the lines of "it is funded by us all so of course it belongs to us and is a good price". Meanwhile in the UK our council has contracted out all the leisure services and prices have gone much higher and the quality is nowhere near as good.

The last line says it all .... can you say that our state cares about us ? do you think giving wage increases to civil servants will help solve our hospital waiting lists or help reduce our housing crisis ? I am not saying Germany is perfect, but I am saying the UK is wrong and so are we for following them over the years.

Ps lets not forget all the other agencies that use state salary scales as their benchmark..... especially the Unions who know full well that a rise for state employees is a rise for them, everyones a winner eh (unless you are sick or homeless that is).
Toss

Postby Toss » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Recently the Central Bank fined the AIB a few million .... I am still amazed at how many people dont know that our Central Bank is owned by the Rothchilds, these guys:

Toss

Postby bugrock » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:36 am

Certain key people in the U.N ------ (They shall not be named)

Pretty thin argument. No proof no case!
Interesting article though.
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Sinead » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:43 am

Toss:

Would love to know who produced that piece of propaganda, they refer
to a bank as if it were people. The 'conspiracy theorists' must have
had fun with that. It is as good as Facebook with permits all sorts of
allegations against people who if they attempt to refute lies they are
dammed, the old adage 'there's no smoke without fire'.
The next thing to be resurrected with be The Protocols of the Learned
Elders of Zion.
As Michéal says, no names given for anything.
Every transaction leaves a trail, follow the money and you find a name.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Toss » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:34 am

Sinead wrote:Toss:

Would love to know who produced that piece of propaganda, they refer
to a bank as if it were people. The 'conspiracy theorists' must have
had fun with that. It is as good as Facebook with permits all sorts of
allegations against people who if they attempt to refute lies they are
dammed, the old adage 'there's no smoke without fire'.
The next thing to be resurrected with be The Protocols of the Learned
Elders of Zion.
As Michéal says, no names given for anything.
Every transaction leaves a trail, follow the money and you find a name.

Sinéad

I've no idea who produced it Sinead, but there are plenty more like it out there and they obviously contain some truths in the middle of their theories as none have been challenged or shut down. If as Michael says, every transaction leaves a trail ....... I wonder why so many trails are ignored and not questioned by those in charge ?

I see the video as thought provoking but not conclusive in any way (other that the fact that the Rothschilds do own our Central Bank).
Toss

PreviousNext

Return to Politics