Water and other political issues.

Anything relating to politics whatsoever to be posted here specifically. You may start as many topics as you like.

Re: Water and other political issues.

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:02 pm

This is a startling statistic. A comment I read today.

Corporate Manslaughter?

There has been 127 suicides in Ireland in the last 22 days. That's right. One hundred and twenty f*cking seven!
If 127 people had died of something else an epidemic would be declared.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Jemser » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:55 pm

Wow, that is a frightening statistic, it really seems too high to believe. Where did you see this reference Strum, I know we have a suicide epidemic, but this is a whole different ball game. I just cannot get my head around this number, it is so so sad and something has to be done to help people who are in trouble. :(
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Toss » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:05 pm

Strum wrote:This is a startling statistic. A comment I read today.

Corporate Manslaughter?

There has been 127 suicides in Ireland in the last 22 days. That's right. One hundred and twenty f*cking seven!
If 127 people had died of something else an epidemic would be declared.

Given that the national annual figure is usually around 500, I think that figure is mistaken.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:04 am

Toss wrote:Given that the national annual figure is usually around 500, I think that figure is mistaken.

Yeah I posted that in haste before checking. I've asked where the statistic came from and they have since deleted the comment.

Hi Strum, Thx for your query, when we fully researched this info we believe there was no proof to back up the statistics given so have since amended this post in the hope that any of the numbers provided above will be shared here on fb in the hope it may help anyone out there needing support or just someone to talk to.
The Samaritans.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:28 pm

Its interesting to watch the amount of media coverage that is feeding the UK and Irelands obsession with the new American President ....... new words are emerging like Trumpist or Trumpism and all the while the man is being portrayed as a buffoon or clown. It makes me wonder if the media are playing the public on this and that our eyes are being taken off the ball.

I was looking at whats happening at home and in particular the Brexit situation. One thing that struck me is that our friends in the North of Ireland could very well be facing a harsh reduction in supports once the EU is out of the picture. What are the chances that Britan will view the six counties as a rather expensive colony that no longer trains its soldiers and has outlived its usefulness ? I have a feeling that we are looking in the wrong direction and need to refocus on the possibility that a united Ireland could looming over the horizon. We have just seen Ian Paisley Jnr singing the praises of Martin McGuinness, its not beyond possibility that the Ulster Unionists are getting wind of being dumped by the UK. So, on a day when the British PM meets our main man ..... I hope Edna has one eye on whats coming around the corner and not just kissing ass for trade deals.
Toss

Postby keeper » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:39 pm

Interesting opinion Toss. United Ireland ? hard border problem solved plus expensive monkey off England's back and us deep in the mire, they couldn't do it to us, could they ? but the present state of things would suggest anything is possible, 2017 going to be a Rollercoaster ride. I'm still of the opinion Trumplestilskin will not last 4 years, impeachment ? assassination ? kidnapped ? defection to Russia ?
keeper

Postby grammer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:52 pm

I have to say I'm bored silly with Brexit- cos for starters no one knows what's gonna happen down the line not even the so called experts.

Poor old Donny -give him a chance folks -there wont be a word out of him in a couple of weeks time.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:25 am

Maybe I am a pessimist but, I never dismiss anyone in power. They are to be respected or to be feared.

It is time for clear thinking and level heads in every country.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:24 pm

Rocker wrote:Maybe I am a pessimist but, I never dismiss anyone in power. They are to be respected or to be feared.

This is best viewed on a PC and move the mouse around before you right click :lol:

http://www.trumpdonald.org/

Respect :P
Toss

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:06 pm

Toss wrote:
Rocker wrote:Maybe I am a pessimist but, I never dismiss anyone in power. They are to be respected or to be feared.

This is best viewed on a PC and move the mouse around before you right click :lol:

http://www.trumpdonald.org/

Respect :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:42 pm

Haha Toss. :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sinead » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:16 pm

The UK will want to hold on to their last bit of Empire - NI - but like Toss, I think they will suddenly learn just what it is costing them and might well want to hive it off. The ordinary citizens of Great Britain have no idea what the six counties have cost them over the years, they believe Northern Ireland and Ulster are the same place and the problem always belonged to Ireland. Mrs. May does not seem to realise that she and her Government are precluded from making trade deals with any other country until they leave the EU, it could be very costly for them if they try.
On the US I think their President will soon get fed up with his new toy and will throw it out of his pram. Until he grows tired he can and is doing untold damage. This evening I was speaking to a young Portuguese woman who likened him to Hitler and she and her friends say they can see World War 111 on the horizen with what he is doing.
I am very aware of the effect Mr. Trump's decisions are having on the work of UNHCR and the people they try to help. Refugees who have fled untold horrors, have been processed and accepted by US are now back to square one. The waste of money time and effort is unthinkable.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:18 pm

The sooner he throws the toy out the better Sinéad. But it's very disheartening to see so many Americans agreeing with his ban on entry by predominately Muslim countries, it's just populist racism. Interestingly none of the members of these countries has been convicted of a terrorist offence in America, unlike Saudi Arabia.
Denis Cromie

Postby Toss » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Lets face it ..... Trump has nothing on our lot when you read about Maurice Mc Cabe.

Heads need to roll, from the top all the way down and no golden handshakes either BangHead
Toss

Postby Micheál » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:44 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:The sooner he throws the toy out the better Sinéad. But it's very disheartening to see so many Americans agreeing with his ban on entry by predominately Muslim countries, it's just populist racism. Interestingly none of the members of these countries has been convicted of a terrorist offence in America, unlike Saudi Arabia.

I dont like Trump, at least not the one portrayed by the meeja (though who needs the meeja when we can see what a distasteful character he is in 140 characters on his well-named TWITter account). But I still think many criticisms of his immigration policy are unfair.

- He's done nothing that previous US Presidents (including Obama) haven't done or that other countries are still doing.
- The countries were chosen - not on historical association with atrocities - but with current US confidence in those countries ability to cooperate with US security agencies. In other words, the countries that pose the greatest future threat. If he were to focus on atrocity counts, the Japaneese and Spanish would probably make it on to the list. And those countries weren't picked by Trump; they were identified by some House Committee before the election - during Obama's tenure!!!
- watch this space, the Supreme Court will (eventually) back his authority to do this.

I'll grant you the rushed timing put many innocent and deserving-of-better people under great duress - the usual administrative cock up all governments never fail to achieve.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Toss » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:29 pm

Oh dear, oh dear ..... poor ol' End-ah is up against the ropes babbby

All the lies and spin is falling apart in front of him, zapped by Zappone and crushed on camera .... his days must surely be numbered. Hopefully the opposition will get enough support to pull the rug as I think the message is finally sinking in ....... the days of cronyism is fading fast and those who put themselves forward for positions of power will no longer have the comfort of a safe majority to 'lie' behind. No more 'mature recollections', no more pushing your own agenda through with out opposition ...... another multi-party Government will be odds on as the sheeple are finally getting sick of whats being presented to them as party politics.

Wonder what JR makes of it ...

This picture sums up the mood in Dail Eireann.... slapped arses and a smell of fear.

I would love to be a fly on the wall as the parties sit down to see what lies they can sell to get them elected this time ... 100 days and everything will be fixed eh?

En-da Days me thinks

BTW lets not forget our firends in the North as they face their own doomsday ... https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0215/852870-nesbitt-brexit-northern-ireland-assembly/
Toss

Postby Rocker » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:22 pm

I suppose I should not have been shocked...but I was. Never really liked the look of Kenny but what a debacle. I'd say they put poor innocent Zappone in the job as they knew the sh&t was going to hit the fan and she would be a scape goat! Leo is off with el Presidento so as no flying dung will land on him and your woman Fitzgerald is also giving me a pain. Alternative truths is that what they are called stateside?? A lot is rotten in the state !!!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:04 am

Rocker, Zappone is not an innocent, she has been around the block and can be quite a hard nut to
crack, remember she was in the Seanad during the last Government. I have not read much about
what is happening, you quickly run out of free reads of Irish newspapers. It will tell you just how
small Ireland is - it never gets a mention on TV abroad - not even in connection with Brexit! It is
only within the country we think we are important worldwide

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Toss » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Sinead wrote:It will tell you just how small Ireland is - it never gets a mention on TV abroad - not even in connection with Brexit! It is only within the country we think we are important worldwide
Sinéad

wuu that is so true, but lost on those that dont travel.
Toss

Postby keeper » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:27 pm

In my travels I would reckon I've had to explain and draw maps to show just where Ireland actually is to at least 95% of people who wanted to know !!! People seemed to continually mistake us for Iceland or Greenland and of course nearly all that we were part of the U.K. We are indeed in our own political bubble.
keeper

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:20 pm

I remember when working in An Post we received orders for postage stamps celebrating the Royal Wedding of Charles and Diana,some of them even came from England.
Denis Cromie

Postby Sinead » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:37 am

Denis/Keeper that doesn't surprise me at all.
For many years HID and I stayed on RAF bases in England before/after
our hols and the number of times we had to explain that NI was their
problem not ours and that Paisley did not know the difference between
NI and Ulster was amazing. They did not seem to know it was their taxes
was propping up the area. Funny when you met with real country
English people, particularly those who had served in the last war, they knew all
the ins and outs of the situation.

Sinéad

ps When Brexit happens will GB & NI have to fit new number plates to all
vehicles without the EU symbol??
Sinead

Postby Strum » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:42 pm

Isn't it a grand ould life for our fekin "politicians" when the Country is in the shts. How much will this cost?

The Taoiseach will go to Washington for Paddy's Day, and here's where all his ministers are heading:

San Francisco, LA and San Diego: Tánaiste Frances Fitzgerald

St Louis; Chicago; NYC: Jobs Minister Mary Mitchell O’Connor

NYC, Philadelphia/Tri-state area: Minister of State Joe McHugh

Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Atlanta, Savannah: Minister of State Michael Ring

Austin: Minister of State Pat Breen

Cleveland; Dublin; Columbus: Minister of State Sean Kyne

United Kingdom: Education Minister Richard Bruton

Munich; Stuttgart; Cologne; Berlin: Agriculture Minister Michael Creed

France: Social Protection Minister Leo Varadkar

Milan; Rome: Arts Minister Heather Humphreys

Malaysia/Singapore: Finance Minister Michael Noonan

Toronto: Housing Minister Simon Coveney

Boston, Seattle: Children’s Minister Katherine Zappone

Japan, Korea: Public Expenditure Minister Paschal Donohoe

United Arab Emirates: Chief Whip Regina Doherty

Scotland: Minister of State Finian McGrath

Brazil: Minister of State John Halligan

Lebanon (UNIFIL mission): Minister of State Paul Kehoe

Indonesia, Western Australia: Minister of State David Stanton

Spain: Minister of State Dara Murphy

Hungary; Czech Republic: Minister of State Marcella Corcoran Kennedy

Poland: Minister of State Damien English

The Netherlands; Belgium: Minister of State Andrew Doyle

Beijing, Shanghai & Hong Kong: Minister of State Sean Canney

Argentina: Minister of State Helen McEntee

Toronto; Montreal: Minister of State Eoghan Murphy

East Coast Australia; New Zealand: Minister of State Patrick O’Donovan
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gerald » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:09 pm

Well worth it Strum, if we don't let them back in.
Gerald
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:42 am

Gerald wrote:Well worth it Strum, if we don't let them back in.

Don't get me wrong Ger. they're "representing" us, "Ambassadors" for our great nation. wuu notworthy dontknow icon_scratch scry
Strum
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Politics