Water and other political issues.

Anything relating to politics whatsoever to be posted here specifically. You may start as many topics as you like.

Re: Water and other political issues.

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:24 pm

Mick and Clare Daly have been consistent in their criticism of the Gardaí and the Department of Justice for a long time now, but no one listened. Alan Kelly put the spotlight on the Department, all have to be commended. What does it take for any government to ensure that both Gardaí and the Department are fit for purpose, it's essential for any democracy. Lets hope after this debacle something will be done, but I won't hold me breath. BangHead
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Sinead » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Yes, Mick & Claire did keep banging on but they used Dail Prevlidge for their own ends on many occasions.
Mick is far from snow white himself as any of his former employees will confirm. We are paying his wages
and he owes us a fortune.
I believe Mr. Charleton should be allowed get on with the job entrusted to him. In the early 1980's I worked
with this man when he was a barrister, believe me he is very astute and it will be very difficult for anyone
to pull the wool over his eyes.
Very recently I had some dealings with the Department now under question and I found there to be a great
level of arrogance amongst those I dealt with.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Toss » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:54 pm

Sinead wrote:.I believe Mr. Charleton should be allowed get on with the job entrusted to him. In the early 1980's I worked
with this man when he was a barrister, believe me he is very astute and it will be very difficult for anyone
to pull the wool over his eyes.
Sinéad

He will need to be, because I would imagine that the terms of reference include confidentiality clauses plus clear directives as to what can be looked at and what route the investigation will take ..... when you make the rules for an enquiry, its not that hard to protect your interests.

About 20 yrs ago,I was involved in a review of a state agencys project and the final report was edited nine times before all the vested interests were satisfied and it was finally released (2yrs later btw). Finding out the truth is one thing, but being able to talk about it is a totally different world (especially when words like commercial sensitivities are used). My best wishes to Mr Charleton, but I expect he will already have had his cards marked in a subtle way and we will be fed a very well edited results which will include some truths and a fair amount of diversions.

“The Charleton Liaison Committee is a unit that works for An Garda Síochána in managing documentation supply and other matters with the Charleton Tribunal. It is funded by the taxpayer. It has had significant resources attached to it; two full-time retired senior members of the force and one officer seconded, a solicitor as well as a number of other full time personnel and regional liaison personnel.”

Nothing is ever what it seems in Government circles .... 'Yes Minister' exists.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby gingertom » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:07 pm

Again for clarity the link to the Enquiry. Witnesses will be examined and questioned with transcripts available to scrutinise.

http://www.disclosuretribunal.ie

http://www.disclosuretribunal.ie/en/dis ... blications

As a Supreme Court judge, Mr Charleton will be an efficient, experienced and thorough investigator and arbiter.He will encounter obtuse persons but he will be experienced enough to deal with them. The question is whether the documents he needs to assess for addition to compile a report, will be covered by certain types of legal privilege, which unfortunately may limit the access to procure them for publication. This could lead to actions such that happened with the Morris Tribunal regarding the Planning issues a decade ago. Therefore Mr Charleton must proceed with caution and skill to eviscerate all relevant issues.
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:44 pm

So are we now signed into the EU Army, behind closed doors? It was written in the Lisbon Treaty, EU Army by November 2017 if I remember correctly?
Strum
Administrator

Postby gingertom » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:58 pm

As members of the EU look what else we are potentially part of.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 012A%2FTXT

Is our real neutrality the ability to appear neutral and be adept at diplomacy?
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:21 am

gingertom wrote:As members of the EU look what else we are potentially part of.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 012A%2FTXT

Is our real neutrality the ability to appear neutral and be adept at diplomacy?

Thats way beyond my reading capacity GT (welcome back btw), but then again.. thats probably not an accident as people get paid huge sums of money to write such wordy documents..... any chance you could just give us a laymans version about a paragraph long ?

Personally I have no issue with us being part of a European army as we have already sold our country off bit by bit .... we are a modern multi-cultural society with every race and creed mixed into our ever dwindling Irish identity. Big business dictates war these days and we are fooling ourselves if we think neutrality will keep us safe..... one bomb at the likes of Sellafield and its goodnight Irene for mosts of us.
Toss

Postby gingertom » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:05 pm

PREAMBLE (of the treaty)

HIS MAJESTY THE KING OF THE BELGIANS, THE PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY, THE PRESIDENT OF THE FRENCH REPUBLIC, THE PRESIDENT OF THE ITALIAN REPUBLIC, HER ROYAL HIGHNESS THE GRAND DUCHESS OF LUXEMBOURG, HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN OF THE NETHERLANDS (1),

RECOGNISING that nuclear energy represents an essential resource for the development and invig­ oration of industry and will permit the advancement of the cause of peace,

CONVINCED that only a joint effort undertaken without delay can offer the prospect of achievements commensurate with the creative capacities of their countries,

RESOLVED to create the conditions necessary for the development of a powerful nuclear industry which will provide extensive energy resources, lead to the modernisation of technical processes and contribute, through its many other applications, to the prosperity of their peoples,

ANXIOUS to create the conditions of safety necessary to eliminate hazards to the life and health of the public,

DESIRING to associate other countries with their work and to cooperate with international organi­ sations concerned with the peaceful development of atomic energy,

HAVE DECIDED to create a EUROPEAN ATOMIC ENERGY COMMUNITY (EURATOM) and to this end have designated as their Plenipotentiaries:

(List of plenipotentiaries not reproduced)

WHO, having exchanged their full powers, found in good and due form, have agreed as follows:

(1) The Republic of Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, the Kingdom of Denmark, the Republic of Estonia, Ireland, the Hellenic Republic, the Kingdom of Spain, the Republic of Cyprus, the Republic of Latvia, the Republic of Lithuania, the Republic of Hungary, the Republic of Malta, the Republic of Austria, the Republic of Poland, the Portuguese Republic, Romania, the Republic of Slovenia, the Slovak Republic, the Republic of Finland, the Kingdom of Sweden and United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland have since become members of the European Atomic Energy Community.

My own opinion. Does not constitute legal advice.
Ireland could be made to take part in the funding and development of Nuclear power for domestic uses in place of oil under this treaty. I do believe that we have a veto within this framework but Ireland is really not a neutral country when we look at politics today, as political discourse issues are global and affect all together internationally.
Now that diesel and petrol are viewed as environmental enemies to our world, could the EU turn to promote Nuclear Energy production for energy security issues. If Russia turns off the natural gas tap or massively increases prices what would happen?

http://www.world-nuclear.org/informatio ... union.aspx

Note:
The EU is the largest energy importer in the world, importing 53% of its energy, at an annual cost of around €400 billion.

In the same way if there is a world war or significant conflict affecting our EU partners, and as a result we may be affected economically any way.

http://www.thejournal.ie/sellafield-bre ... 9-Apr2017/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 12381.html

https://www.ft.com/content/fe3b50a4-e3e ... 5580d6e5fb

https://www.fiannafail.ie/irish-interes ... om-dooley/

I'am not supporting Fianna Fáil. Just for illustrative purposes.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/informatio ... union.aspx

Remember, the EU is the largest energy importer in the world, importing 53% of its energy, at an annual cost of around €400 billion.
I think within the Brexit debate the issue of Nuclear safety has been missing thus far. Remember how close Sellafield is to us and the safety and pollution concerns Ireland should be aware of.The Euratom oversight and ability to complain to the EU Court in Strasbourg could become extremely diluted as a result of Brexit.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:09 pm

Thanks GT, it certainly looks like Euratom has been conviently ignored by some and as I hinted at, Sellafield is a huge problem for us.
Toss

Postby gingertom » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:18 pm

I think that as part of the EU we are stuck with certain obligations and consequent fiscal responsibilities to upkeep EU institutions.Included in which is an EU military force. Hopefully the day won't come when we need it for defence but it does provide training and the upkeep of technology and maintenance of good relationships Union wide. We are realistically stuck with being a member of the EU and given the political, financial and pure purveyance of myth and codology in the UK both before and after the triggering of Article 50, would we really want it here too?! With the political weight we have now within the EU, now is the time to do side deals to further our own domestic position........
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Imagine getting a €500 voucher for Dunnes from your employer for Christmas ...... yes thats FIVE HUNDRED EURO !!!

https://extra.ie/business/irish/irish-rail-strike-e500-dunnes-vouchers

I was lucky if I got a christmas card BangHead
Toss

Postby Rocker » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:22 pm

Gosh I heard all that moaning about the ~Dunnes voucher. God we would be delighted with a 10 Euro voucher. When I was working one day I said to the boss "we get no thanks for doing a great job here"...do you know what he said..."your thanks is in your weekly pay packet"!!. We never got a Christmas gift, or a bonus, or even an extra day off and especially not a verbal "thank you". Just bled us for every ounce of energy.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:39 pm

There's nought as strange as folks, there is no pleasing them.
If they got Brown Thomas Vouchers they would be moaning over
the prices in the shop.

Sinéad
Sinead

Previous

Return to Politics