Water and other political issues.

Anything relating to politics whatsoever to be posted here specifically. You may start as many topics as you like.

Re: Water and other political issues.

Postby keeper » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:19 pm

Brilliant Toss ! Great posts and very informative, I fear though that these people are similar to the oil companies, all powerful with governments in the palm of their hands and the media likewise.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Toss » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:51 pm

keeper wrote:Brilliant Toss ! Great posts and very informative, I fear though that these people are similar to the oil companies, all powerful with governments in the palm of their hands and the media likewise.

Thanks Keeper ...... since I posted my last comment, over 650 people* have read it and yet only one person bothered to comment, this suggests that people are happy to see foreign companies make huge profits out of Irish Water or just dont care :roll:

Ps

34 and a half litres of Irish water to make one litre of Irish Whiskey was not something I would have expected.

*updated figures
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby gingertom » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:56 am

https://www.economist.com/news/business ... are-racing

Toss, an answer of sorts here from the Economist? Slim profit margins for drinks companies?

Interesting info here regarding the consumption and the sources of water used by Diageo on page 19 which notes that there is a Cooperage Well on the Dublin centre site.I presume that you knew that?

http://www.epa.ie/licences/lic_eDMS/090 ... 604622.pdf
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks for your input GT, we are learning a little more each day wuu

I note that the Economist says 'The cost of the raw material, which comes from either natural or municipal sources, is next to nothing; the main costs are packaging, distribution and marketing' and it is clear that water is a growing industry where we are now seeing prices such as the £80/€90 a bottle in Harrods. The big companies are welcome to spend whatever they like on marketing, the slim profits are their spin in things and obviously do not match their company profit reports ;-).
Given that it is only in recent years that Diageo started looking to use this Well, I can only guess that they have good reason. However, lets not be fooled into thinking that their reports such as this one : http://www.epa.ie/licences/lic_eDMS/090151b280536a53.pdf, are above questioning. This report shows that they tested the well at optimum times (December-March) .... who knows what effect the removal of 100m3 per hour of water will have in the summer when we usually experience a drop in water levels. Like all reports, the paymasters set the terms and its highly unlikely that any 'bad news' would be broadcast.

My point is why should Irish Water be given away free to the international market, while the ordinary Irish tax paying citizen is basically being asked to fund the IW operation out of the state purse ...... even an extra cent tax per litre could be a huge revenue source for our state and see us tackle many of the long term problems like Health, Housing, infrastructure etc.

I'm a dreamer, I know BangHead

Toss

Postby Strum » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:39 am

Toss wrote: Thanks Keeper ...... since I posted my last comment, over 650 people* have read it and yet only one person bothered to comment, this suggests that people are happy to see foreign companies make huge profits out of Irish Water or just dont care :roll:

Toss, there is so much to say about ALL that's happening around us in "politics" I don't think my opinion counts much because I think we all know anyway that we're being screwed big time by these Leeches who are simply sucking money up like the latest Dyson. What I personally gather from various pages around the net is that there is increasing anger from the People, and frustration as to how to go about it. Votes? :lol:

I still have faith that so many of the population will never back down on the Water scam...we'll see... ;)

Really interesting posts thanks.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 pm

Strum wrote:
Toss wrote: Thanks Keeper ...... since I posted my last comment, over 650 people* have read it and yet only one person bothered to comment, this suggests that people are happy to see foreign companies make huge profits out of Irish Water or just dont care :roll:

Toss, there is so much to say about ALL that's happening around us in "politics" I don't think my opinion counts much because I think we all know anyway that we're being screwed big time by these Leeches who are simply sucking money up like the latest Dyson. What I personally gather from various pages around the net is that there is increasing anger from the People, and frustration as to how to go about it. Votes? :lol:

I still have faith that so many of the population will never back down on the Water scam...we'll see... ;)

Really interesting posts thanks.

Everyones opinion counts and I think if we are to hide our opinions, then we are part of the problem. Whats wrong with asking questions and challenging those who are elected representatives.... we may vote them in, but we certainly dont give them the right to do as they please. Far too often I hear interviewers fail to challenge the politicians they are interviewing, why???? are they beyond reproach ? are they so powerful that the media cant ask the obvious questions?

Today I heard our Minister for Finance on the radio constantly spinning how he is planning to invest extra millions of euro's to solve the housing crisis ...... this is the like me saying I am going to spend €100 to feed a family of four, it means nothing if I go out and spend the lot on a bottle of water from Harrods :P these spoofers need to be pushed and questions on how they plan to spend the money, how much will be spent before a foundation is dug ? how much is set aside for advertisement ? how much will be spent producing a strategic plan? if we cut out the useless sideshow that includes endless expert opinion, then I guarantee you we could build a town quicker that this crowd in charge can build ten houses.

There is SO much waste in our state spending, that I am convinced we are actually awash with money.
Toss

Previous

Return to Politics