Carriglea Gardens

The area, its locals past and present, memories, stories etc

Postby Isolda » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:35 pm

Hello Kav

Nice to meet someone who can appreciate the beauty and desirability of CG!! I think it sometimes gets a bad press!
Isolda

Postby Kav » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:04 pm

:D Ah.. There's nothing wrong with CG ;-) I loved the little swing park at the end of the gardens..

( Nice bit of Joyce on your sig BTW ;-) :D
Kav
Advanced Member

Postby Isolda » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:04 pm

I will have to speak to my Uncle Jimmy, who is the last of the boys who used to live there. I don't want to be misleading as my Da and his family came out of CG but I lived in dominic Street with my Gran as I think she found the house too much to manage once everyone had left.

Hope you have happy memories of the place. Da was always saying about the Fagin family and the time Patsy Fagin nicked a safe and were trying to break it open with a hammer in plain sight of everyone...apologies if your family name is Fagin... :D
Isolda

Postby Kav » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:26 pm

Isolda wrote: Patsy Fagin nicked a safe and were trying to break it open with a hammer in plain sight of everyone...apologies if your family name is Fagin... :D

:D :D

My Ma's brothers Well 5 of them. and one of her sisters lived in that two bedroom house :shock:
Kav
Advanced Member

Postby enviro500 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:54 pm

Isolda,

Two points really,
I have friends living in lovely Barna, just west of Galway City and they are ex Rochestown/Sallynoggin area and their duaghter is also called ISOLDA .. apart from my old childhood mate John Byrne's Da Joe was a crewman on the postwar Isolda ship of Trinity Lighthouse thats the only three people/ship so called... A lovely name too. It bloody beats Dympna or Concepta.

The second point is that I went to CBS o in Dun Laoghire with a Tommy Finn from Carriglea Gdns... My brother Sonni who incidently became a first time Granadad this weekend (Ballybrack), went to school with the Usher boys...small world and us two ending up only twelve miles apart over here eh!

Enviro500
enviro500

Postby farmboy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:08 pm

Enviro, congratulate Sonni on our behalf, he must be over the moon. :cool: I also went to school with a Mick Usher, think he was from Carriglea. Fairly sure he was bigtime into racing bikes and he was a fine strong fella. Wonder where he is now....
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby enviro500 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:08 am

Farmboy,
Thanl you old chap' Sonni's Boy, Simon and his better half had a baby girl Katie... Friday

I remember the Ushers but did not know them at all..I went to School with Christie Fagan, Patsy's brother and I think they were from Ashgrove Their Da was a very small man and a lovely guy. I think he was a 'Postie'.

God when I think of who I knew in Ashgrove,it being a smallish area too. Noel Bell, Fagans, Mick & John Howe, Tom Cash, Hennnessy's, Cathrine Wilkie, not quite Ashgrove but the lead lane in from Kill Av

There goes the memories again Farmboy....

Strangley enough, I have never been in Carriglea Gardens..

To quote the late lamented Cyril Cusack,

"Ah well, there ya go then"

Enviro500
enviro500

Carriglea Gardens

Postby Chiropodist » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:34 am

A sister of mine lived at 48 Carriglea Gardens before moving down to Desmond Ave. Is the old flower nursery and the reform school still there. Ther was a small sream which we used to call"Mickey brians river" too.
Chiropodist

Carriglea Gardens

Postby Chiropodist » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:28 pm

I seem to remember there was a Fagin lad who attended the CBS and that the family lived in Patricks St. Just below what was Baxters Court at the time.
Chiropodist

Postby Snowhite » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:26 pm

I lived in No 54 for about 2 yrs then moved to Loughlinstown.......I've been here now for 27yrs
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Carriglea Gardens

Postby Chiropodist » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:16 am

Snowy
You are well qualified now to call yourself a "Culchie". Ha !
Chiropodist

Postby Strum » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:49 pm

That goes for me too then! Lovely out here in the country isn't it Snowy! :mrgreen:
Strum
Administrator

Carriglea Gardens

Postby Chiropodist » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:48 pm

Do you know, I was going to ask about a family called Fagin who I think lived in Patricks St. and one of the lads attended the CBS. At that time there was an old woman who kept a shop at the corner of Patricks St. at the junction of Cross Ave. She sold coal and paraffin among other bits. Another chap who lived in Baxters Court at the same time as me was Jackie Donoghue who I learned later on had committed suicide during the 50s or 60s. Opposite Baxters Court was where a family called Cummings lived and one of them Nat, married a sister of my old friend Paddy Rice R I P .
Chiropodist

Postby Strum » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:23 pm

I wouldn't know myself Chiro but reading your posts, my God what a memory you have man! :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Re: Carriglea Gardens

Postby Bicycle Bill » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:52 am

I knew a great guy lived in Carriglea , Christy, cant remenber his name. he was the messenger boy in the Mart in mounttown. I would hep him sometimes... great guy, He had a Scar of sort on his forehead......
Bicycle Bill

Re: tommy finn

Postby drummer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:31 pm

enviro500 wrote:Isolda,

Two points really,
I have friends living in lovely Barna, just west of Galway City and they are ex Rochestown/Sallynoggin area and their duaghter is also called ISOLDA .. apart from my old childhood mate John Byrne's Da Joe was a crewman on the postwar Isolda ship of Trinity Lighthouse thats the only three people/ship so called... A lovely name too. It bloody beats Dympna or Concepta.

The second point is that I went to CBS o in Dun Laoghire with a Tommy Finn from Carriglea Gdns... My brother Sonni who incidently became a first time Granadad this weekend (Ballybrack), went to school with the Usher boys...small world and us two ending up only twelve miles apart over here eh!

Enviro500

i went to school with Tommy Finn.is he still around?i also worked with his dad Paddy in Albright & Wilson
drummer

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:48 pm

I haven't seen Tom Finn since Adam was a "Paisleyite"m ask Bicycle Bill as he knows him as does possibly our Grammer

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Welcome to the site drummer. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Harjoe » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Welcome to the site Drummer .
Sorry to tell you Tommy Finn died some years ago I worked with him after he left the Tech he and Shay Robinson from Ashgrove came to work with us in Denhu on Albert Road in the mid 60s Tommy left before we moved to Walkinstown, Shay Stayed on until the 70s when he got a job with Dunleary Corperation and he retired and still lives in Cabinteely.
Of the people living in Carriglea Gardens I can remember Gerry Smith his son Pat Smith and his daughter Mona who married Adam Whiston the golfer,Mick Doyle, George Davis , Patsy Fagin, Kellys , Delaneys, O Sullivans,
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:37 pm

DRUMMER,

MOST WELCOME, Harjoe real sad to hear of Tom Finns demise, He was only my age, sad indeed, I remember Patsy Fagans brother in my class at school and his lovely Da, the Postman...
Only other chaps up that was I remember well was Tom Cash and Jim 'Jumbo' Kelly both ex Ashgrovers and school mates...
God be with them hopefully.

Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby doodledo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:18 pm

I was born and raised in Carriglea Gardens and it was a great place to grow up.

Names from my time in the gardens....

Barney & Georgie Kelly (no 1)
Johnnie & Ollie Lynch (no 2)
Roche's (no 3)
Jack Brennan (no 4)
Buggie (no 5)
Josie Doyle (no 6)
Ske McCann (no 7)
Farrrell's (no 8)
Charlie Butler (no 9)
Davis's (no 10)
O'Neill's (no 11)
Sullivan's (no 12)
George Davis (no 13)
Decker Taite (no 14)
Bossman Kavanagh (no 15)
Little Joe Kelly (no 16)
Willie Butler (no 17)
Patsy Byrne (no 18)
Taite's (no 19)
Fitzpatrick's (no 20)
Mick (Red) McKenna (no 21)
Fatser Nonnan (no 22)
Perry's (no 23)
Smith's (no 24)
John (Red) Roe (no 25)
Mannion's (no 26)
Brennan's (no 27)
Lily Kelly (no 28)
Austin O'Dowd (no 29)
Quiggley's (no 30)
Ray Dekhors (no 31)
Damion Murphy (no 32)
Catch-poole's (no 33)
Carroll's (no 34)
Smailes (no 35)
Eileen & Alice Delaney (no 36)
O'Brien's (no 37)
Liz Freeman (no 38)
Enright's (no 39)
Joe Davis (no 40)
Jimmy Delaney (no 41)
Cock Redmond (no 42)
Gang, Gang & Woppie Robinson (no 43)
Finn's (no 44)
Decy's (no 45)
Paddy Kelly (no 46)
Farrelly's (no 47)
Dolly Bissett (no 48)
Mrs Davis (No 49)
Lizzie Bradley (no 50)
O'Hanlon's (51)
Johnnie Doyle (no 52)
Coffee's (no 53)
Strum (no 54)
Parkie O'Connor (55)
Dinny Malloy (56)

Can anyone remember their time in Carriglea and the neighbours they had?

Carriglea FC (formerly known as Carriglea Boys FC)
The Club was established in 1970 by Dinny Molloy, who gave his garden which became the bit of a play ground know in the gardens "the end" for the kids to play football. The Delaney's where also involved in the football. Dinny Molloy was a brother to "Connie Cummin's" of Rory O'Connor Park.
Last edited by doodledo on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:40 am, edited 6 times in total.
doodledo

Postby Strum » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:19 pm

Welcome to the site Doodle. :D

You've some memory haha!
Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Great post Doodledo and welcome.
I think I know most of the people mentioned and some real good friends among them.I played golf with Joe Davis,Tony Finn,Jem Smailes his son Anthony, Dekker Taite (as well as football) and me and Austin O' Dowd go back a long way. Great to see their names mentioned, they bring back memories of Dun Laoghaire people that I know so well.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby keeper » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:24 pm

Welcome Doodledo ! hope you enjoy the banter here !!
I worked with Ski McCann, he was a good mate of mine, as far as I can remember he was a founder member of Spurs Supporters Club in Dublin in the 70s.
Had many a session with him, mostly in McKenna's in Dun Laoghaire, Does he still live in Carriglea and is he still in the ESB ? Lost touch with him around 1980.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Enviro500 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:36 pm

Keeper,
And a solid New 2012 to you old friend...Tried to call you over the Festivities but no doubt on the Gallavant.... I Hope it went "tre bien", as they say in Glenamuck..Hopefully we can have a chat next week or earlier...Or theres always Skype.. my name there is dave.oconnor63.

Cainte Amarach
Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Next

Return to MONKSTOWN / MONKSTOWN FARM