Information on family names

The area, its locals past and present, memories, stories etc

Postby SHANNON » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:10 am

hi all iremember the oneills they lived in st patricks terrace teddy was the brothers name
SHANNON

Postby jordo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi Shannon and welcome to the Site. :D

I have come across these queries from time to time on other sites but for some reason I keep checking back on this one to see if there has been any response. This girl Susan has posted the request on the other D/L Forum so if any of you have any information you might let her know.

My name is Susan Mullins. My Father passed away in August 2007.
he was Garrett Mullins. As far as my story goes of him, We lived in England, greater Manchester in a small town called Droylsden in Tameside.

Garrett was born in Ireland, 1949, and lived in Dun Laoghaire I think from birth. His Mother was a local lady, whose maiden name was Susan Clark, who my father gave me her first name.

My Grandfather was Micheal Mullins or Mullin, who was in the army and worked alot over in England I think, after he finished with the army.

From What I can gather, my father was educated through The Christian Brothers, but I don't know anything about this schooling.

My father was an only child but loved going to the cinema with his
school friends to watch cowboy films I think on a Saturday.

From pictures I have of my father as a young boy, he was very smart in appearance ( something which he always was in his character throughout his adult life, he took great pride in his appearance that showed through his adult profession.

He quite admired Clint Eastwood's hair from an early period and would often ask for it at the local barbers he would often tell me. This is apparent in childhood pics and adult pics.

From what I know, he had an auntie called Angela, and he also had cousins who were older than him. One is called Micheal Clark.

I think my father visited Micheal when he was in his early thirties, as he came over to Ireland with my mother Jennifer, and me as a baby at about 18 months old.

I have found a guide to Dublin Zoo in my fathers possessions and in it was an address :24 Duneden Terrace, Dun laoire how it is spelt.

If anybody has information regarding this address or even might have known my dad then, this will be greatly received as I am very proud to have had this man be part of my life and proud of who he was.
jordo

Postby Strum » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:24 pm

SHANNON wrote:hi all iremember the oneills they lived in st patricks terrace teddy was the brothers name

Welcome to the site Shannon! :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby twodunedin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:40 pm

Susan.

I lived close to a Garratt Mullins in Dunedin Terrace in Monkstown Farm, Coincidently his Mum,s name was Susan or Sue as she was known. He was an only child though I never remember a Dad there.
I was born in 1948 and went to C.B.S so it is more than a coincidence indeed. I thought that Garratt went to England and joined one of the U.K Police Forces.Myself and him often swapped 'Dell Comics' as we both got them sent from England..He used to pal around with the Gregory boys along the road...For further info please contact me via my p.m on this site
twodunedin

Postby jordo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:47 pm

Hi Twoduneden and welcome to the Site and in the words of the hero of Susan's dad "You have made my day" Now all we need to do is make contact with Susan. Strum or anyone else can you put Susan and Twodunedin in touch with each other. Cheers :D :D :D
jordo

Postby twodunedin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:10 am

Hi Holly,

Hows' your Da,on the mend I hope. say hi from me please. Not heard rom you in a long time. Not been to Dun Laoghaire for ages...How is life in Cavan....?

I REMENBER Patsy Ellard and the family well. and the 'Merrigans', Mimmer & Jimmer. next to Mikey Evans the "Budgie" man
twodunedin

Postby twodunedin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:14 am

Jordo, thanks but I found her on the Dun Loaghaire Riviera site..

Never mind that,

I am still awaiting Srum or 'et al' to come an return my identiication on this site .. Glad I am not bloody drowning !!!!!
WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE LIFEBOAT AND GILLIE BLACKMORE.. not as much as one call to assist !!!!!
twodunedin

Postby jordo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:02 am

Don't know where it went wrong with the fanfare and red carpet but this is the best I can do on short notice :D :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnjEPMYr6Pw#
jordo

Postby Strum » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:15 am

twodunedin wrote:I am still awaiting Srum or 'et al' to come an return my identiication on this site

????? :D

Is this you Enviro? :???:
Strum
Administrator

Postby farmboy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:17 am

Who could it be?????? :D
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:20 am

am I on the right site here -???????
whats goin on --- ??????????
whos who-what or whom ???when or where

does everyone have an alter ego or wha???
grammer

Postby grammer » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:51 am

grammer

Brocks

Postby macdara » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:30 pm

Went to gulag eblana with a lad called - fairly certain- Paddy Brock.We used to walk up mounttown sometimes.The Fishers lived in a house called 'hove to'.Never knew the Da was a scouser,although we knew they were not Irish.They had a gorgeous daughter called Angela.Dont know if she was the girl a previous poster referred to.I had a big crush on her tho we were only about 10/11 at the time.I loved the smell of Byrnes shop and Cassonis chipper was just heaven to us lads,especially on a winter evening ,after playing out all day!
macdara

Re: Information on family names

Postby Enviro500 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:20 pm

I have pulled a few names out of the box of former locals from another time.....So the Farm fraternity may add some comments or memories. all around The Statue district
Dinjo Hurley Provisions,and veg/fruit Esso Blue, the ham also so tasted !!
Paddy Dinan Bike man
'DOC' Lyons Sweets/newsagent etc
Geoffrey & Mrs King Pharmacy or "FARMACIE" !!!!
Penstons Provisions
Bambells Provisions
Egan's Butchers
Cullens Veg/fruit etc
The Post Office ...cannot remember the family name
Suttons Tel el Kebir Dairy
Bolands came in 1957 !!

'Hookie' Butler Haulage
The Thirsty Eye
Murrays Engineering
The Washing Machine Man

All these people made a living from the Monkstown Farm Community from the late 1940s until the late 1960s at least .
Just think, the nearest to a Supermarket then was Tom Connolly in Patrick St...then a Llllloooonnnnggg Way from The Farm.

All this was happening before the Flats, Rory O'Connor were built (c.1960)..How few cars were owned here as well. RTE was yet to broadcast

I am sure there are other names which will appear
Enviro500
Executive Member

Re: Monkstown Farm

Postby doodledo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:09 am

Chiropodist wrote:Does anyone know the Merrigan family from the Crescent or the Brown family from Oliver Plunket Ave.

Yeah both the Brown family & Merrigan's are still in the Farm, Jimmer died in the last couple of weeks. The Browns da (Eddie) is a brother to the Mimmer Merrigan's ma (Maisie) & i'm a first cus to the Merrigan's, their da (Skey) & my ma (Chrissie) where broth and sister, orginally from Eden Villas.

Granny Merrigan was (Becky) who lived next door to the Hudson's, my cus (Ray Lynch) still lives in the family home in Eden Villas or the 101.
doodledo

Postby doodledo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:15 am

Chiropodist wrote:Did you know any of the Merrigan family at no 26, formely of Eden Villas Holly. Fathers name was Sykey.

The Merrigan family lived next door in no 80 to the Hudson's, Becky Merrigan was my granny, Ray Lynch is living in no 80 now, his mother Molly was a sister to my ma and Sykey was their brother.
doodledo

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:21 am

Unfortunately Chiropodist passed away last year Doodle but thanks for the info anyway.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Enviro500 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:22 am

Dodledo,

I knew the Merrigans well in the late 1950-60s, Sorry to hear of his passing. They were near neighbours to the Evans, Keoghs Coadys and Cannons..
Mimmer and Jimmer,we all used play in "Mackers Swamp" , now I believe called Fitzgerald Park. Originally owned by the Strong family, Rachel & Sarah etc
Regrettably Herr Chiropidist passed away in 2011....He was alo a regular in the Farm and may have had connections there.
Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Re:

Postby doodledo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:29 am

enviro500 wrote:Chris,
Was Maura Owens (nee Hill) sister married to the Ellard chap, about early 1960s.

Maura Owens husband was Kevin who drove the 46A & 58 buses for years. The kids in the Owens were Emily, Tommy, Tony and John. I lived almost next door to them in St Pats Cr.
Enviro400

Kevin Ownes & Jimmy Lawlor where some partnership, CIE could never have made money of the 58 route, because everyone knew each other and no fare was taken, great when the bus was on the round-a-bout in the Farm, with living in Carriglea we'd be off the platform and running.
doodledo

Postby Enviro500 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:36 am

Doodledo,

Right about Kevin O & Jimmy L....Great guys and sadly missed..When Kevin misbeheaved he would tell me that he was put driving the 46a or the 45 from Dublin to Bray...and of course he nicksered driving the Quinnsworth Opentop bus as well...

Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby slipper » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi all I've just discovered this site and am completely blown away by it. I'm Borough born n' bred raised in the farm,married into the noggin and still reside in the' brack.I've spent the last three hours reading most of the posts here and I'm amazed at the levels of nostalgia for home place,childhood,and youthful memories both local and from abroad that exist out there. I foolishly thought that only nutter's like me were kinda hooked on the past. However I'm delighted to have found this and to discover how many memories I share with some of the brilliant contributors,so,if its not too late or too offensive I,d like to offer a few answers and/or corrections to some of the earlier posts.(1)owner of the "Mart" on Mounttown was Fred Greer who ran it with the help of daughters and son, he had a hearing defect and wore a aid . He also built a big new house on the site beside the shop.(2) The much loved late Henry hobbs was married to Clare Fox from the 'noggin', Maureen O'Reilly is married to Sean(plum) Pearse both 'farmers'. Clare was a former longtime girlfriend of the very popular Ski McCann, so there!,thats all I've got to say for the present, I'm now going to read more posts on this marvellous new discovery of mine and hope I'll be able to make some more observations and contributions. Thanks to all,
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:05 pm

Welcome to the site Slipper (great name) and please do bring up old topics and ask away. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby slipper » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks for the welcome "Strum" I'm still trying to get my head around what I've discovered here in this site.The name has its origins in McEvoys shoe factory on Kill Ave.
slipper
Advanced Member

Re:

Postby slipper » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:36 pm

SHANNON wrote:hi all iremember the oneills they lived in st patricks terrace teddy was the brothers name

Yeah!I remember them there was Kathleen, Peggy(married to Des O'Toole)and Alice( married to Hurler McCarthy)
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby keeper » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Great posts Slipper and welcome, worked with Ski McCann for years in the E.S.B. We were good buddies, it was only through this site I found out he had passed on, we had some great adventures.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

PreviousNext

Return to MONKSTOWN / MONKSTOWN FARM